BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nikola Kalinic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but Niko's best 'goal' for us was actually away to Tottenham last season. Ridiculous decision to disallow that one as it was a worldie of a strike.

I for one would be gutted to lose him - I really do get the feeling that he'll become a big player one day, probably in Spain or the like.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but Niko's best 'goal' for us was actually away to Tottenham last season. Ridiculous decision to disallow that one as it was a worldie of a strike.

I for one would be gutted to lose him - I really do get the feeling that he'll become a big player one day, probably in Spain or the like.

Punched in the back of the head and still managed to bang it in. With his left. I still consider that he scored in that game. Just as he did against United (given offside I believe).

Premier league quality players stand out when they play in the reserves reb, Junior did do, Kally never did (well not for the right reasons)

You may be right.

Just so wanted him to be good for us, terribly disappointed if he leaves a flop.

I know that opinions are mixed about Niko but seemingly, according to papers this morning, Villa want him.

Over the years, Houllier has proved a decent manager.

I just hope that we don't regret not giving this guy a proper run of games and chance.

Are you kidding? Houllier has a terrible buying record, this is the man that spent over 10 million on Diouf! his signings at Liverpool were very very poor.

Kalinic has been a flop under two different managers now the excuses are wearning thin. I would be delighted if we could shift him in the sumemr for more than half of what we paid for him.

• Backroom

Are you kidding? Houllier has a terrible buying record, this is the man that spent over 10 million on Diouf! his signings at Liverpool were very very poor.

Kalinic has been a flop under two different managers now the excuses are wearning thin. I would be delighted if we could shift him in the sumemr for more than half of what we paid for him.

Ssssshhhh that doesn't fit in with Mercermans ramblings

If Gumboots has said she has heard he disappoints in training then I'll believe that as he disappoints in games more often than not and she isn't one to make stuff up or sensationalise.

The lad just isn't good enough at the minute.

BS and SK have decided against using him; so he either doesn't cup the b***S when performing or he does nothing in training or they have sussed out he is not ready for the premier league...............................yet!

In my honest assessment he is no better than Matty Derbyshire, who has scored goals in the prem, lower leagues, champions league and in a foreign league.

For me, Benjani is technically, a far better player than Niko. He was brilliant against Liverpool, but for some reason, he can also be totally awful. I've often wondered what's happened to him. Wonder if he's had differences with Kean? Seems to be no way back if you had.

I had to read this a couple of times before I realized you were serious.

Thats a little harsh Topman, we bought him in 2009, hardly quick to write him off

But during that time he's been poorly man-managed, and even on the back of goals he's never been given a decent run in the side.

• Backroom

I would imagine Gumboots' post about Kalinic has some merit. Why else would he be left out of the team? If he was good enough he'd play, we're hardly spoilt for choice up front and look like utter fools for spending £6M on a bloke who can't even get into our first 18 let alone first 11.

I'd love to see Kalinic do well but his red card after scoring 2 goals against WBA soured my opinion on him a little. If he hadn't been so stupid he probably would have got a run in the team. Instead he's come back and is struggling to make the bench.

I said he was a decent manager as evidenced by the number of trophies won in his career and the wide respect he commands in Europe.

Agree some of his buys have been poor and would also say that he's lost a bit of edge.

Would love to think that Kean might replicate Houllier's trophy record with Rovers but very much doubt it.

I said he was a decent manager as evidenced by the number of trophies won in his career and the wide respect he commands in Europe.

Agree some of his buys have been poor and would also say that he's lost a bit of edge.

Would love to think that Kean might replicate Houllier's trophy record with Rovers but very much doubt it.

Come on fella I think you have gone a bit anti Kean crazy! We're talking about Kalinic here I dont see the need for the dig at Kean there.

You're right Houllier's won a good number of trophies albiet at clubs like Lyon and Liverpool where you would expect him too. His signing record is pretty poor though and I dont think you can use his interest in Nikola as much of an indication of talent.

I know your a big sam fan so you should take into account that Kalinic failed under him too, its not like we're just talking about kean mis-managing him. Its two managers now and nearly two full seasons and he has shown very little. There is only so long you can keep saying he nearly scored and he may have potential, at the end of the day you have to deliver, and he hasn't.

I know your a big sam fan so you should take into account that Kalinic failed under him too, its not like we're just talking about kean mis-managing him. Its two managers now and nearly two full seasons and he has shown very little. There is only so long you can keep saying he nearly scored and he may have potential, at the end of the day you have to deliver, and he hasn't.

Or Sam and Kean have failed Niko by not playing to his strengths and are too stubborn to change their ways for the benefit of one of our top players!

Or Sam and Kean have failed Niko by not playing to his strengths and are too stubborn to change their ways for the benefit of one of our top players!

I guess you mean the oft stated belief that he would be much better with a partner upfront? I agree he would but we dont have the players to ply top up, we get murdered in midfield. Besides he's going to struggle if thats the only system he canplay in as its becomming a thing of the past, the modern foward has to be able to play on his own up front. Its niave to say we should change the whole way we play for one player, it would negatively impack the team, its up to him to adapt.

I think you're looking for excuses, like a few on here due to the high hpes we had for him. I think dont think its that complicated though if your good enough you play and you'll fit into most sytems, Kalinic doesnt work hard enough, he issnt strong enough and he misses far too many chances.

• Backroom

I as much as anyone hopes he bangs in the goals for us when given the chance as it would only be good for us but I can't see how he could be classed as one of our top players.

I think my judgement of him is often clouded by rage as I hate how he throws himself to the ground every 6.4 seconds.

Sam openly said that he signed Kalinic to play a certain system that he had in mind. Dunn then came back to life and so Niko's role changed. Given Sam's reluctance to play him in the lone role and Niko's poor performances in said role, one could assume that perhaps Sam's system for Niko involved a partner?

I would like to see Kalinic and RSC get a run up top when we can, before the season ends.

Sam openly said that he signed Kalinic to play a certain system that he had in mind. Dunn then came back to life and so Niko's role changed. Given Sam's reluctance to play him in the lone role and Niko's poor performances in said role, one could assume that perhaps Sam's system for Niko involved a partner?

I would like to see Kalinic and RSC get a run up top when we can, before the season ends.

But he also said he hadnt planned on putting him in the team at first and was going to bed him in over time etc etc. Things change in football Sam must have known by the time he deemed Kalanic ready for first team duty that different players would be injured and in or out of form.

Sam surley couldnt have had in mind that he would have to play as part of a front two? Sam has used two up front so rarley in his career I would be gobsmacked if that was what he had in mind. Dunn has also missed more than enough games this and last season so there was surely time for him to test this system out?

Something doesnt add up with all this, I think Den is correct, Sam took a punt without knowing nearly enough about him, also this talk about systems in mind is just him covering his mistake.

I guess you mean the oft stated belief that he would be much better with a partner upfront? I agree he would but we dont have the players to ply top up, we get murdered in midfield. Besides he's going to struggle if thats the only system he canplay in as its becomming a thing of the past, the modern foward has to be able to play on his own up front. Its niave to say we should change the whole way we play for one player, it would negatively impack the team, its up to him to adapt.

I think you're looking for excuses, like a few on here due to the high hpes we had for him. I think dont think its that complicated though if your good enough you play and you'll fit into most sytems, Kalinic doesnt work hard enough, he issnt strong enough and he misses far too many chances.

I believe if you look at his movement and first touch (when not falling over) he has the makings of a top player. Maybe he does fall over a bit too much, maybe he should score more, maybe he needs a partner. Don't forget though he is young and possibly needs someone to tutor him in the art of being a Premier League striker, unfortunately we don't have that player.

I don't think he will be a 20 goal a season striker but if he gets 12 and his movement allows a different player get 12-18 then it might benefit Rovers.

Also, we now do have the players to play a simple 4-4-2. MO, JJ, PJ, JH is more than adequate. The creativity is out wide, putting balls into the box for NK and ?? to attack.

Don't forget though he is young and possibly needs someone to tutor him in the art of being a Premier League striker, unfortunately we don't have that player.

He's 23, thats not young for a striker.

Why do people think he's young?

I'm opening a can of worms by saying this but in my opinion we're no better off with Kalinic than if we'd kept Matt Derbyshire. Their goalscoring ratios for Rovers are virtually identical, almost the same age - the only difference is that Kalinic cost us about £6 million more!

Derbyshire - age 24. BRFC appearances - 63. Goals - 10. Cost = minimal.

Kalinic - age 23. BRFC appearances - 42. Goals - 7. Cost = £6 million.

On this season's form neither is the man to lead the Rovers front line, but that 6 million is looking like a bit of a waste really.

But he also said he hadnt planned on putting him in the team at first and was going to bed him in over time etc etc. Things change in football Sam must have known by the time he deemed Kalanic ready for first team duty that different players would be injured and in or out of form.

Sam surley couldnt have had in mind that he would have to play as part of a front two? Sam has used two up front so rarley in his career I would be gobsmacked if that was what he had in mind. Dunn has also missed more than enough games this and last season so there was surely time for him to test this system out?

Something doesnt add up with all this, I think Den is correct, Sam took a punt without knowing nearly enough about him, also this talk about systems in mind is just him covering his mistake.

We'll never know whether Sam had two up top or not in mind, but one part that always struck me during his time was that when Dunn was out we just persevered. Surely if Sam had a system in mind then he would have employed it? But, don't forget Sam toyed with the old 3-5-2 at one stage with us so who knows, but your right it doesn't add up.

Anyway at the end of the day I think he's more of a goal threat than Roberts or Benjani, but kalinic needs to be in the right frame of mind. RSC has always been a good target to hit with the ball and out of what we have left Kalinic has scored the most. We have a dire selection of forwards at present but for me Kalinic is the best of the rest behind RSC. I'd like us to play 2 up top against Brum as we need goals and two strikers hopefully increases those odds and PJ & JJ should be ample defensive cover.

Another factor is that RSC doesn't quite look the player he was for me and given the demands of the lone role perhaps we may see more out of him if someone takes some of the strain? RSC didn't exactly do badly playing in a two with us last time either, it's just a pity it didn't click with Benni. RSC & Kalinic for me on Saturday and I'll be hopeful of the win come 15:00.

Baz wrote: He's 23, thats not young for a striker.

Why do people think he's young? BAZ PLEASE REMIND US AT WHAT AGE DID MATT JANSEN HAVE HIS BEST SCORING RATIO WITH US IN THE PREMIERSHIP AT THE AGE OF 26 YOU WILL FIND AT 23 MATT WAS AT PALACE AND HIS CORING RECORD WAS NOT GOOD,ALSO AT 23 WHAT WAS SANTA'S SCORING RECORD LIKE AT BAYERN 23 IS RELATIVELY YOUNG TO EXPECT A STRIKER TO MAKE THE REQUIRED IMPACT AT THIS LEVEL & ONE WHO HAS NOT BEEN GIVEN A FAIR CRACK OF THE WHIP.

The Harwood Yankee wrote:Derbyshire - age 24. BRFC appearances - 63. Goals - 10. Cost = minimal.

Kalinic - age 23. BRFC appearances - 42. Goals - 7. Cost = £6 million.

On this season's form neither is the man to lead the Rovers front line, but that 6 million is looking like a bit of a waste really.

YOU REALLY ARE OPENING A MASSIVE CAN OF WORMS WITH THAT STATEMENT THEIR IS A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE FOR ONE KALINIC HAS ALWAYS LOOKED LIKE HE WILL ACTUALLY MAKE IT WITH HIS MOVEMENT & HIS GOALSCORING DERBYSHIRE YES NEAR THE SAME AGE BUT BIG DIFFERENCE HE NEVER LOOKED LIKELY TO MAKE IT AT THIS LEVEL AND IT GOES TO PROVE YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR YOU SAY THE 6M IS A BIT OF A WASTE REALLY WELL ACCORDING TO SLAVEN BILIC I THINK HE WOULD DISAGREE WITH YOU ON THAT ONE & YOU ARE NOT DUBBED THE FUTURE OF CROATIAN FOOTBALL BY FLUKE. I THINK ALSO MOST WOULD AGREE ON HERE BILIC IS A MUCH BETTER JUDGE OF PLAYER THAN KEAN I KNOW WHO I WOULD RATHER HAVE IN CHARGE OF ROVERS!.

Tco wrote:I as much as anyone hopes he bangs in the goals for us when given the chance as it would only be good for us but I can't see how he could be classed as one of our top players. THIS JUST HAD ME IN STITCHES HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE GOALSCORING CHARTS TO SEE WHICH OF OUR STRIKERS HAS THE MOST AMOUNT OF GOALS THINK YOU WILL FIND IT IS NIKO SO IN MY BOOK THAT DOES MAKE HIM ONE OF OUR TOP PLAYERS. RSC AS KEAN HAS SAID HAS BEEN A VERY EXPENSIVE LOAN OPTION WHO HAS BEEN ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING AND SEEMS UNINTERESTED I JUST CRINGE TO THINK HOW MUCH WE HAVE HAD TO PAY FOR THIS WASTE OF SPACE FOR A LOAN. BENJANI HAS BEEN A WORSE CROCK THAN VINNY GRELLA.JR COULD NOT HIT A COWS A*** WITH A BANJO & MAME DIOUF IS JUST PACE AND NOTHING ELSE HIS GOALSCORING RATIO AGAIN IS POOR i AM WONDERING WHAT SAF SEE'S IN HIM HE WILL NEVER GET 20 GOALS IN ANY SEASON

So in my opinion the stats don't lie they are there in B/W Kalinic is our top scorer not by fluke as he looks the most likely to score scores regularly at international level & would be a mistake to let him go esp. to a rival as he will improve and all this goes to underline one thing Kean is not the man to lead our club forward if he can't see what's staring him in the face and if he can't work out the only way out of this mess is by scoring goals and to do that you need your top goalscorer on the pitch from the start the bald headed scottish ###### needs glasses!

Rant Over!.

If you don't play, you can't score. I am another would like to see him paired with Santa Cruz. Just think this fella will come good but he has to play to get there. One of those that I think if we let go we will regret it.

Archived