BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nikola Kalinic

Probably why Darren Bent is worth £25m then, eh?

Jansen wasn't particularly blessed with great pace, but he was a very silky player who benefited from having class around him (Cole, Dunn, Duff, Berkovic, Tugay etc.) Kalinic reminds me of the same, but he needs a run in the side week-in, week-out if we're ever going to realize his potential.

Spot on.

Those who doubt his finishing ability should take a look at his goals for Split (see Youtube etc for a sample) - cool, calm & collected. His record at club level in Croatia was 1 in 2 and even better for the various national sides. Bilic is no fool and you know how highly he rates him.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of Kalinic's goals have been good finishes and poacher efforts. Give him the service and the guy will flourish.

Well which ones? From what I remember, most of them were taps into open goals. The others were from no more than 6 yards out.

In that case, Ashley Ward was an excellent striker.

He brought Kalinic down to Ewood, immediately after the Pompey deal had fallen through - and the deal did take some time to get through. That wasn't because Sam was doing his homework on him Gav. I don't think he did any homework on him. He'd spent most of the summer chasing Kevin Davis and Darren Bent and hadn't made any move at all for Niko.

I seem to recall us being linked time and time again with Marc Janko from red bull Salzburg and Zigic now at Birmingham and the German striker Klosse?

I was giving him some credit, but from what you’re saying he completely wasted that cash for me, but he won’t be the first and certainly won’t be the last.

Jansen wasn't particularly blessed with great pace, but he was a very silky player who benefited from having class around him (Cole, Dunn, Duff, Berkovic, Tugay etc.) Kalinic reminds me of the same, but he needs a run in the side week-in, week-out if we're ever going to realize his potential.

He's slightly built, got dark hair and plays up front, thats the only comparisons I'd make with Matty. On a football pitch they are a world apart.

From the opinions on here that he's a marmite type, some rate him, some dislike him and very few in the middle.

If he's to go anywhere, he should sign for Villa, he only seems to score in the midlands and particularly at Villa Park.

I think he's done at this club, either he will push for a move at the end of the season or we will try and sell him but it will be at a loss. The lad is our top scorer and it's a joke that he can't make the team or even the bench.

When was the last time Roberts scored?

When was the last time Santa Cruz scored?

Niko would be in my side over these two that's for sure.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he goes to another club in this league, plays every week and bangs the goals in.

The times when Kalinic played a lone front man role but had no support he looked totally out of his depth (under Allardyce it was punt it long without anyone near him). The times when he was supported by players especially quick ones(Hoilett and Olsson) he looked a really good player. Two examples of when Kalinic had support and scored goals where the West Brom game and the Villa cup game.

I wouldn't say his is a brilliant finisher but he is a poacher, he scores goals when he plays. Could you say the same about Roque and Roberts?

Roberts is a ###### awful player and I will be celebrating the day we get rid. Santa Cruz's lack of goals doesn't surprise me one bit - I said at the time the main reason he scored goals at this club was due to Bents. With Olsson and Hoilett now in the team and a solid midfield with Jones and Jones allowing them to make forward runs I think Niko could really prosper and score goals.

I agree with these posts. As it turns out, Nikola made a big mistake coming to a club that could not play decent football as a team; hoofball, kick and hope, 4-5-1 etc. etc.

Poor lad. The sooner he leaves, the better for him. And the worse for us IMO.

He has been unfairly treated here. We will see him really progress at another club, unfortunately.

Gumboots, the present Niko may have attitude problems due to the way he has been treated.

Thanks for the link to you tube, Alan K.

He hasn't got it if what I've heard is true. Sorry to be in the "can't reveal my sources" camp on this one as it annoys me to death when others do it, but, as I've posted elsewhere, he apparently can't hit the target at all most days.

I did as an explanation to him not being able to find the net in training.

How does that work then Bazza?

He misses the net on purpose?

Does that answer your question?

Although now I'm beginning to think Gumboots is referring to something else.

I must be naive.

Does that answer your question?

Although now I'm beginning to think Gumboots is referring to something else.

I must be naive.

I don't have hidden agendas or send secret messages. I have heard that Kalinic is not great at putting the ball in the net and his finishing doesn't inspire confidence. That's all. I don't know whether it's lack of confidence in himslf because he's been left out of teams and squads, or whether the inability to bury chances means that the management have no confidence in him or what. Make of it what you will but he's apparently not as good as most of us wish he was. That's all. It may be an attitude problem and our previous/current manager might be to blame; it might be the system doesn't suit him; it might be a combination of a number of factors including he's not very good. I really don't know but I can't help feeling that regardless of any problems, if he was seen to be scoring on a regular basis he'd get in the team.

You are including Big Sam in that aren't you Misery?

Think that even Sam could have handled him better, however, Sam certainly wouldn't have treated him like Kean on the back of some goal scoring form.

You see Septic, I do take a balanced view.

Across his entire time at Rovers he has never been given a good run of games, even after he has scored a goal. It's really a shame. He's clearly not the finished product, but there is potential there. I think he'd enjoy playing in our current set-up far more than he did under Allardyce and you have to wonder how Roberts can be brought on as a sub ahead of him. He needs to at least be on the bench.

This for me is the most important:

* Top scorer in the club

* The times when Kalinic played a lone front man role but had no support he looked totally out of his depth (under Allardyce it was punt it long without anyone near him). The times when he was supported by players especially quick ones(Hoilett and Olsson) he looked a really good player. Two examples of when Kalinic had support and scored goals where the West Brom game and the Villa cup game.

* Robert and Santa can't score.

* We NEED goals!

I must be missing something with Niko.

I think he's a decent player, but not a certain starter and definitely not as good as some people on here seem to think.

He falls over too much, his first touch is poor, apart from the first goal at West Brom (which he took very well) this season, his goals have been tap ins (usually after goalkeeping errors).

Even going back to last year, he scored a couple off deflections, and off his shoulder!

He was decidedly average in his last game against Newcastle.

If someone wants him in the summer for around £4m I'd honestly let him go.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburnrovers/news/8956474.Kalinic_to_seek_talks_over_Rovers_future/

Can't blame the lad.

The way this talented lad has been treated is, IMO, a disgrace.

A disgrace...hardly.

You could argue neither manager has been able to get the best out of him.

For what it's worth,I like the lad but he probably is the wrong type of striker for us,particularly if we're going to persist with one up front. A lone striker he clearly isn't.

As far as I see it he can't hold play up as well as Roque, he can't create opportunities as well as Roberts which leaves him being in the right place at the right time and slotting them as his main claim to be in the team. I'm desperate for him to succeed but so far I've seen nothing to indicate he could be our primary striker.

I must be missing something with Niko.

I think he's a decent player, but not a certain starter and definitely not as good as some people on here seem to think.

He falls over too much, his first touch is poor, apart from the first goal at West Brom (which he took very well) this season, his goals have been tap ins (usually after goalkeeping errors).

Even going back to last year, he scored a couple off deflections, and off his shoulder!

He was decidedly average in his last game against Newcastle.

If someone wants him in the summer for around £4m I'd honestly let him go.

Couldn't agree more, he's a championship striker at best, and I can't see us getting anywhere near 4m for him.

• Backroom

Out of interest do people see the treatment of Benjani a disgrace? After all this season he has a better goalscoring rate and a couple of assists as well.

Niko contributes nothing to games far more than he has an effect

Archived