BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nikola Kalinic

Kalinic is one of those players who i think will come good at some point and really shine. I'm pretty sure i'm alone in this, but on occasions he reminds me of Berbatov. In his early days with us especially. The way he used to drop off into areas between the oppositions defence and midfield. His touch and movement is excellent and some of the positions he takes up in the box have been wasted by our 1 dimensional midefielders.

However, its obvious something has really halted his Rovers career. He mopes about too much nowadays and i think Kean is probably right in keeping him away from the side at the moment. A relegation scrap is not the place to carry someone who is anything less that 100% committed. I sincerely hope whatever issues there are can be resolved because i think he can be a real asset if he is motivated. Sadly i just can't see this happening and i suspect he'll move on in the summer if a buyer can be found. A real shame because i have got no doubt we'll end up scratching our heads as to why he never produced for us and then pulled up trees elsewhere.

I think he'll come good as well. How long did it take for Hoilett and Ollsen to come good ? Look at them now. What worries me is our system of a lone sriker doesn't play to his strengths.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel terribly sorry for the lad.

When given the opportunity, his strike record is better than anything we have.

Niko is an intelligent footballer, his movement in the box is excellent and he has quick feet.

Now is the time that he should be playing for example, how many times in the second half against Blackpool did Hoilett cut the ball back to no avail ? Why, because there was little movement in the box from our players.

This guy is good and if Kean thinks Roberts, Benjani, MB Diouf and, a clearly past his best RSC, are better then it's a nonsense.

He could be sensational for us. He will be sensational for his next club if Kean doesn't see the light.

I feel terribly sorry for the lad.

When given the opportunity, his strike record is better than anything we have.

Niko is an intelligent footballer, his movement in the box is excellent and he has quick feet.

Now is the time that he should be playing for example, how many times in the second half against Blackpool did Hoilett cut the ball back to no avail ? Why, because there was little movement in the box from our players.

This guy is good and if Kean thinks Roberts, Benjani, MB Diouf and, a clearly past his best RSC, are better then it's a nonsense.

He could be sensational for us. He will be sensational for his next club if Kean doesn't see the light.

Niko has done very little up front all season, one game against WBA aside. He deserves a chance, I hope he gets it next game, but he has been just as poor as the other strikers and awful as a lone man forward. I don't think you can beat Kean with that stick as against Arsenal he was never going to be the right man to spearhead an lone striker attack.

• Backroom

Niko wrote this on Facebook...

dissatisfied with the status of the club, maybe some changes?

<_<

It's becoming increasingly obvious that it isn't going to work out for him here... seems like it'd be best for all parties if he tried his fortunes elsewhere. Can't imagine we'll get anything close to the 6M we forked out for him though.

I've been a big big fan of niko since he came, his goal to game ratio is decent this season 6 in 18. he played the majority of the first half the season up front on his own and since Kean has been appointed he has scored 3 goals in his last 6 games. the problem is, he is neither a pacy front man or a big target man.

my opinion is, Kalinic is highly rated by Croatia and Slaven Bilic. Now what is any International manager going to tell a talented striker who is not getting games....."Move". it would'nt suprise me if Bilic is having little words with niko during the international breaks telling him to look for a new club if he aint getting games. "your wasting your talent" etc etc.

i agree that if he moved i can see him banging in the goals there, look at guys like Bobby Zamora had a run of seasons where he failed to score goals now look at last season and this season, his record is impressive. Niko will come good, just needs a arm round the shoulder and a run of games.

Kalinic is one of those players who i think will come good at some point and really shine. I'm pretty sure i'm alone in this, but on occasions he reminds me of Berbatov. In his early days with us especially. The way he used to drop off into areas between the oppositions defence and midfield. His touch and movement is excellent and some of the positions he takes up in the box have been wasted by our 1 dimensional midefielders.

However, its obvious something has really halted his Rovers career. He mopes about too much nowadays and i think Kean is probably right in keeping him away from the side at the moment. A relegation scrap is not the place to carry someone who is anything less that 100% committed. I sincerely hope whatever issues there are can be resolved because i think he can be a real asset if he is motivated. Sadly i just can't see this happening and i suspect he'll move on in the summer if a buyer can be found. A real shame because i have got no doubt we'll end up scratching our heads as to why he never produced for us and then pulled up trees elsewhere.

NO you are not alone.

We should be building the team around Kalinic. His movement is top class and it is up to the other players in the team to pick him out. Personally, I believe Roberts is the ideal partner for Niko. Similar to the Rooney/Berbatov partnership, where one works hard the other drops deep and makes late runs.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that it isn't going to work out for him here... seems like it'd be best for all parties if he tried his fortunes elsewhere. Can't imagine we'll get anything close to the 6M we forked out for him though.

You are assuming it is actually him on facebook!

I'm not disputing what everyone says about Kalinic. It must just be me but I don't see a good football player in him. Like I say it must just be me who can't see his talent.

• Backroom

You are assuming it is actually him on facebook!

Not really, his situation at the club seems to be on a continual downward spiral regardless of whether he's said anything on facebook or not. Never a good sign when you're not in the 18 yet are fully fit.

I'm not disputing what everyone says about Kalinic. It must just be me but I don't see a good football player in him. Like I say it must just be me who can't see his talent.

I'm with you Al, I think he's crap.

his comment to his facebook status translates to this

"probably thinks it is better known to me only to harms" now Im thinking he knows how messed up our club is at all levels and he is saying it will cause harm to the club if he said something

Let's leave the translating to someone else than Google eh? ;)

Include me on your list too Al.

He sometimes starts a game brightly, but then fades out completely.

I just dont see his attributes. Normally a striker has something that he excells at - heading (Crouch, Santa Cruz), Pace (Defoe), Power (Heskey), or finishing (Phillips) or a mixture of these like a Shearer, Rooney or Drogba.

Kalinic is slow, not physical, not great technically, not good in the air, doesnt have a good shot, and isnt a good finisher.

I get so frustrated by him. He continually falls over backwards when trying to control the ball, and ducks out of making a header then runs in behind the defender (who now has a easy clearance).

If Liverpool want him, I'll be amazed. I'd say he's another player who we end up more or less giving away, happy to avoid paying him wages.

The guy is a very intelligent player and an excellent finisher.

If you watch him in action before he joined the Rovers, you would see excellent movement in and around the box, good anticipation and very cool finishing.

Since he joined the Rovers, he's mainly played in a 4-5-1 formation which has left him exposed and feeding on scraps given our very poor midfield. When we've played half decently eg @ Villa in semi and @ West Brom earlier this season, he's had chances and scored goals. The lad must wonder what the hell is going-on when he scores and is then left out only to see the likes of Benjani, Roberts etc taking over.

He is a real talent and if he was playing in a team similar to Spurs or Dalglish's footballing Liverpool, I would put money on him notching at least 15 a season.

The tragedy is that we may never know given Kean's poor management of him.

I asked a Croatian friend of mine about Kalinic when he first joined. He said he was 'ok, but not as good as Mandzukic' (who has 1 goal in 20 games for Wolfsburg).

I asked another Croat what he thought and he said he was overrated and overpriced.

Despite this I got my hopes up and thought he was young enough and had a good enough record to be able to develop into a real player, but I'm starting to doubt if he will ever become a 15 goal striker in the PL. I also highly doubt that you watched him much in action prior to him joining, Mercerman, but I'll take your word for it. Keep in mind that he played in an inferior league too, and that there are tons of examples of players not able to adapt to bigger and better leagues.

At present we don't create too much from open play, and although our wing play the past couple of months have picked up, our crossing is far from exceptional. I believe Kalinic needs good service to be a good striker, and with good service and a strong strike partner he can do a job. I won't give up on him yet, but if both Sam Allardyce and Steve Kean feel he's not good enough then I'll respect that decision as the correct one until he proves me wrong in a different team :)

his comment to his facebook status translates to this

"probably thinks it is better known to me only to harms" now Im thinking he knows how messed up our club is at all levels and he is saying it will cause harm to the club if he said something

What's his FB? I have a Croatian friend, I'm sure she'd translate it for me.

The tragedy is that we may never know given Kean's poor management of him.

Aye and Allardyce got the best out of him didn't he? Having a slightly built, inexperienced import up front on his own trying to control punts that were coming down with snow on them?

Give it a rest ffs.

Archived