BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nikola Kalinic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blazing argument with Kean on the team bus, after Kean announced Benjani started and Kalinic didn't.

Oh Dear ! If this is true, then it could spell the beginning of the end for Steve Kean as the players rip into him on selection issues.

''You don't know what your doing'', could well be the chant from the Rovers fans, as confused Steve struggles to find that winning formula especially if the players begin to lose respect.

The pressure is firmly on now for Steve Kean. For me its get us to the summer than bring a new more experienced manager otherwise next season will end in disaster with Stevie blunder in charge.

Oh Dear ! If this is true, then it could spell the beginning of the end for Steve Kean as the players rip into him on selection issues.

''You don't know what your doing'', could well be the chant from the Rovers fans, as confused Steve struggles to find that winning formula especially if the players begin to lose respect.

The pressure is firmly on now for Steve Kean. For me its get us to the summer than bring a new more experienced manager otherwise next season will end in disaster with Stevie blunder in charge.

So long as we're not jumping to any conclusions.

Based on one poster's theory, no less.

Kalinic has been scoring goals recently but then gets dropped. He should be given a prolonged run in the team, he's the most clinical finisher we have. Strikers need to play week in week out to build up a run of form, changing it every week doesn't help us one bit.

For me Kalinic has been very poor recently and has done nothing whatsoever that demands automatic selection.

Imo he was very disappointing in his last start v Villa and even his goal was a completely open goal he nearly contrived to miss by passing the ball back in the direction of Friedel.

You might be right about Kean needing to decide on his best pairing and sticking to it. But what's he to do if he picks players and they consistently fail to deliver?

• Backroom

For me Kalinic has been very poor recently and has done nothing whatsoever that demands automatic selection.

Imo he was very disappointing in his last start v Villa and even his goal was a completely open goal he nearly contrived to miss by passing the ball back in the direction of Friedel.

You might be right about Kean needing to decide on his best pairing and sticking to it. But what's he to do if he picks players and they consistently fail to deliver?

I agree with some of this Rev but he didn't actually start against Villa.

At times he looks really good but RSC totally outshined him against WBA I hope we can get (and keep) him fit.

There was definatly an argument between Kean and Kalinic about lack of playing time after Kean announced Kalinic was on the bench, and Benjani started.

Whether it was on the bus or not, Im not entirely sure!

But yeah, that's the reason Niko was in the stand but not in the 18.

PL. (edited for 10/11 season only)

Kalinic: 899 min G4 A2

Roberts: 779min G3 A2

Benjani: 491min G3

So Kalinic scores a PL goal every 224.75 minutes played, Roberts every 259.67 minutes, and Benjani every 163.67.

If factoring in assists as goal equivalents, then Kalinic contributes to a goal every 149.83 minutes, Roberts every 155.8 minutes, and Benjani is till trapped at one every 163.67 due to a lack of assists.

Under either calculation Kalinic is a better choice to start than Roberts (if considering straight goals) and Roberts and Benjani (if considering goals and assists). Factoring in his youth, and that he'll likely improve while Roberts and Benjani will not (as they are at the tail end of their careers), why isn't Kalinic starting? Whether paired with Benjani (statistically the best bet) or Roberts, he should seem to have a case that he's our best bet to put points on the board, both short and long term.

There was definatly an argument between Kean and Kalinic about lack of playing time after Kean announced Kalinic was on the bench, and Benjani started.

Whether it was on the bus or not, Im not entirely sure!

But yeah, that's the reason Niko was in the stand but not in the 18.

Where is this information from out of interest?

I think if there was an argument it would have been over the Tottenham game after scoring vs Villa and then not getting a start or even a sub appearance.

Kean would then in my eyes appear to be handling the situation poorly by intentionally playing a weakened attack that aren't performing just to "show Niko who's boss".

Hope this isn't the case but if it is Kean goes down in my estimations.

He is playing Roberts solely because Roberts is a$$ licking and everyone knows the Roberts sulk if he isn't playing, maybe Kean's afraid of this?

I really do hope it is just illness/injury. Diouf, Roberts and Benjani have really looked poor in the last 2 games.

For the people bashing Kalinic, do you really want to see Roberts or Benjani starting ahead of him? We know what Roberts/Banjo can do (not a lot), they have both proven to be IMO poor for a prolonged period. Kali has potential to improve and needs time playing alongside another striker. A lot of his non-scoring minutes have been as a lone striker which he clearly isn't cut out for. When he plays up with RSC or Mama I think he links the play and is more capable of finishing a good move than Jase/Banjo.

Pick him Kean! (if fit)

• Backroom

Kalinic was at hand for both goals. Roque must have played a blinder.

Roque was far better overall, one simple chest down and being close to someone who scored an own goal doesn't change that.

I do believe Niko should have started on saturday but if he had a hissy fit because he wasn't starting he deserved to be left out altogether, no room for that sort of thing.

If everyone was fit, I'd pick Kalinic and RSC. As it is, I'd have Kalinic and Benjiani or M. Diouf with Roberts on the bench for impact. Kalinic is not allowed the time to get a run as he's constantly dropped after scoring.

I agree Billy i think he should be told he has a run of games to let him build his confidence.

Roque was far better overall, one simple chest down and being close to someone who scored an own goal doesn't change that.

It doesn't change the fact we won 2-0 thanks to him.

I do believe Niko should have started on saturday but if he had a hissy fit because he wasn't starting he deserved to be left out altogether, no room for that sort of thing.

*IF* true, no player should undermine the manager. But I can also see his point of view.

Kalinic is not an impact player, he will not come on to win us the game at current form. His major asset is hard work and holding up the ball, which is not what we need when trailing. I think he was dropped v Wigan for that reason - as Kean wanted to start with Benjani and Roberts, who in my opinion both are better 'super-subs' than Niko. IF Santa is fit, I can see Niko coming back to start soon, in fact I wouldn't be surprised to see him back for the next game, with Benjani and perhaps Santa on the bench. Roberts did well, and deserves another shot... I don't really see Roberts and Santa Cruz together though, and for me - MB Diouf should be dropped. Not on his best form, particularly poor finishing, and as he is not our player he should not stand in the way of Kalinic. I know some will say that Niko's finishing is just as poor, and I do share that view, but I still think he will come really good given time and partnering Santa Cruz.

Roberts -

'Niko has everything in his Game! We just need to be patient with him! He is going to develop into a very good player!'

In Jason we trust, eh :tu:

Where were all these outraged demands for Nico to start when Sam was still here? He dropped Nico and had to grovel back to Roberts (having previously told him he would never play for the club again) and rightly so. Nico had his magical run of games in the first part of the season and did squat. Now he's a goal machine.

Archived