BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nikola Kalinic

It's taken him two years to settle, to get used to living in England and get used to the EPL.

No doubt Coyle, as a member of the strikers union is better suited to offering him advice than Megson was.

I think it's pretty clear now that he's done here, he just doesn't fit our style and is arguably our fourth choice striker now with potentially more to come.

It's a shame for him as he seems a nice lad but I just don't think he has the attributes for this level yet.

Hopefully we can recoup a chunk of the fee at least.

If Elmander took 2 years to settle in, isn't it a bit early to right off Kalinic?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we are turning into nothing more than a set piece team our strikers don't got much if any chances in a game,kalinic is a gifted footballer and he needs quality service which he barely ever got,i wouldn't write him off but he looked disillusioned yesterday,hope he starts against the hammers,him and mame upfront,hoillet should start aswel.

Disappointed that he isnt being given any look in, even though our first choice striker is arguably going to leave in January if the right offer comes in.

Don't see why you're disappointed Bobby. If he'd performed when given the opportunities, he would be in the team.

He isn't a target man or a creator of goals either, so what he has to do when given his chance is simple - score goals.

Don't see why you're disappointed Bobby. If he'd performed when given the opportunities, he would be in the team.

He isn't a target man or a creator of goals either, so what he has to do when given his chance is simple - score goals.

Spot on Den, its a shame how this transfer has turned out but I think its time people faced up to the reality, he has failed. I think the best way to judge this is to ask yourself if you would accept a bid of what we laid out for him were it to come in. I would bite your hand off for 6 million for him, in fact anything over 3 and I would jump at it.

Hardly a great endorsement of Sam's spending ability. He made a striker our number one priority a year ago and spent £6m someone who (in Den's words) "isn't a target man or a creator of goals".

I'd wait until the midfield improves to truly judge Kalinic, but I fear he'll never get that chance.

Kalinic is a good player

Is he target man no.

The question is if Big Sam needed a target man why buy Niko because he has never played that role or looked like playing it.

I like Niko and if he was playing up front in a partnership I fully believe he would score at least 10-15 goals a season.

So as much as I hate to say it unless Sam's intends on playing 2 up front, Niko will be no more than a squad player.

Hardly a great endorsement of Sam's spending ability. He made a striker our number one priority a year ago and spent £6m someone who (in Den's words) "isn't a target man or a creator of goals".

I'd wait until the midfield improves to truly judge Kalinic, but I fear he'll never get that chance.

He was an opportunist signing Topman. If you remember, Sam was trying to get Kevin Davis here at the time. Then Kalinic became available when Portsmouth stalled with the signing and Rovers stepped straight in. I doubt Niko was on our list of potential targets and I also doubt he'd been scouted.

See, I have no problem criticising or praising Sam whenever it seems fit. Shame quite a few others can't do the same.

Still think Kalinic could do the business if provided with decent supply. Dont forget, hes 22, never played in this league before and we play him upfront alone and boot balls towards his head. Not many strikers would flourish under our current playing style.

I hope sam keeps him, gives him the opportunity to play with a better midfield supplying chances and a decent partner. Then judge him after a good run of games.

IF the new manager does play a more passing game, it will be Nikos last chance to fit into the team. He simply cannot play as a striker in a team playing long ball/direct footie. The fact we were playing against 10 men yesterday and the most expensive striker at the club stayed on the bench shows how far down Sam's pecking order he has fallen.

Could be a new lease of life for our Niko. I bet he'd even more ecstatic if Slaven Bilic took over.

bilic would be the only thing that saves him here..........the timing is all about the jan money and not letting sam have a say id be amazed if our advisors have'nt got a whopping great list of strikers ready, don't see a new manager doing anything other than looking at his record and saying no thanks.

bilic would be the only thing that saves him here..........the timing is all about the jan money and not letting sam have a say id be amazed if our advisors have'nt got a whopping great list of strikers ready, don't see a new manager doing anything other than looking at his record and saying no thanks.

Hopefully we hire a manager that wants to play to Kalinic's strengths.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Niko looked a player today, well until he decided assault was more his thing :P

Nice to see him play with a striker and bag a couple, got to say early on boxing day he dropped deep then played a great ball out to diouf.

I thought his time was up after his appearances or lack of but the manergial change could have rescued his career here :)

I thought he looked good against Stoke too. Not dangerous, but good. Kept the ball well and tried shooting whenever he had a chance to. If we can improve other parts of the team and possibly sign Demba Ba or someone similar we will have a great trio to choose from upfront in Kalinic, Ba (or someone else) and Mame Birame (if he stays). Lot of ifs but Kalinic needs support and a bit of luck infront of goal and he'll easily hit 10+ PL goals this season - and that's pretty impressive considering we don't produce too many chances at present.

I thought he looked good against Stoke too. Not dangerous, but good. Kept the ball well and tried shooting whenever he had a chance to.

Hear, hear!

It's a pity he's going to be suspended - is it for 2 Premier League games and the FA Cuptie, or for 3 PL games? If the former, he'll be back to take on the fast-fading ;) Chelsea team; if the latter, he'll be facing WBA @ Ewood again! :D

Archived