BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nikola Kalinic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of and compared with a bad bunch of our current midfielders, these two posssess some talent and both been injured for most of this season.

Not only talent, but fighting spirit!

Do we have many yellow cards this year? Don't think so.

Bring back the old Rovers with In your face football.

Nzonzi with a headbandage wrestling with Leiva.

Though I agree we need the correct player to support Kalanic - I am not certain I have seen £6m of "potential" yet. I actually rate him - but personally wouldn't have paid that much for him.

Did you see his turn against Villa(I think it was)?

Also seen some glimpses of talent with some neat touches, turns and shots. Also his header for Croatia was superbly taken.

Did you see his turn against Villa(I think it was)?

Also seen some glimpses of talent with some neat touches, turns and shots. Also his header for Croatia was superbly taken.

Would you pay £6m for glimpses of talent ? I am not saying he doesn't have potential - but just that £6m was a lot to pay for that potential.

What type of a striker actually is he then, because he can't finish, head (croatia goal aside), poach, run fast or hold the ball up.

I'd say he's the fox in the box type player. He has a good shot on him and good finishing instinct - problem is the guy gets so few clear cut chances. We don't play that type of football.

If he'd been a bit more fortunate and had a couple more goals to his name (given the amount of times he's hit the woodwork not an unreasonable hypothesis) I'd think we'd be a lot more supportive of him.

I can see him leaving Ewood, playing in a team which creates chances for him, and doing rather well. Not sure if that'll be in England or elsewhere, but I do think that in the right team he could be a very good player.

Evidence?

It's funny Den how adamant you are that Kalinic's failings are his and his alone. Johan Elmander was signed by Gary Megson in 2008 and has been an expensive flop until Coyle turned him around. So... which is it? Did Elmander suddenly spring into life? Or is the new manager getting the best out of him?

It's funny Den how adamant you are that Kalinic's failings are his and his alone. Johan Elmander was signed by Gary Megson in 2008 and has been an expensive flop until Coyle turned him around. So... which is it? Did Elmander suddenly spring into life? Or is the new manager getting the best out of him?

Or playing for his next big pay day? His contract up at the end of the season.

It's taken him two years to settle, to get used to living in England and get used to the EPL.

No doubt Coyle, as a member of the strikers union is better suited to offering him advice than Megson was.

What are you papping on about?

Firstly, you know very well that I don't think Niko can play the lone front man on his own, so I haven't said his "failings are his alone". Don't keep twisting things.

Secondly,Blue blood said that he's "the fox in the box type player. He has a good shot on him and good finishing instinct". You're a regular user of Kalanic in order to slate Sam, so prove that wrong and show me where you've seen this quality shooting and finishing instinct?

What are you papping on about?

Firstly, you know very well that I don't think Niko can play the lone front man on his own, so I haven't said his "failings are his alone". Don't keep twisting things.

Excuse me, Den, but you've always maintained that 'if players are good enough, they're good enough'. You don't make any allowance for the manager's man-management of the player, especially one who isn't the finished article and is only playing his second year of top-level football.

Secondly,Blue blood said that he's "the fox in the box type player. He has a good shot on him and good finishing instinct". You're a regular user of Kalanic in order to slate Sam, so show me where you've seen this quality shooting and finishing instinct?

His goal against Everton showed great awareness, something the manager praised him for. That turn against Villa, a good shot-away against Tottenham. I don't keep a logbook of everything Kalinic does, but I can see he's a technically gifted player. Of course, if you dispute that, it means Sam has ###### £6m up the wall. Yes?

It's Kalinic, btw. Maybe you've been confusing him for someone else all this time? :)

Excuse me, Den, but you've always maintained that 'if players are good enough, they're good enough'. You don't make any allowance for the manager's man-management of the player, especially one who isn't the finished article and is only playing his second year of top-level football.

Check your PM's from me a few weeks ago. Check the Allardyce thread and you will read my opinion that he can't play the lone striker. You, strangely enough, think he can. So yes, the way he's asked to play doesn't help him one bit. Simply because he can't do it.

His goal against Everton showed great awareness, something the manager praised him for. That turn against Villa, a good shot-away against Tottenham. I don't keep a logbook of everything Kalinic does, but I can see he's a technically gifted player. Of course, if you dispute that, it means Sam has ###### £6m up the wall. Yes?

The goal against Everton, where he rolled it into an empty net?

That turn against Villa?

A good shot at Tottenham? :)

There isn't much more to find, you wont need a logbook.

Check your PM's from me a few weeks ago. Check the Allardyce thread and you will read my opinion that he can't play the lone striker. You, strangely enough, think he can. So yes, the way he's asked to play doesn't help him one bit. Simply because he can't do it.

So whose fault is that? If Sam had done his homework, he'd have some idea that Kalinic couldn't play the lone-striker. Why insist on playing with one at all costs when Kalinic could work with a strike-partner?

Kalinic is a player we should be building the team around. £6m is a massive investment for a club like ours, but instead we force him into a system that doesn't work and pull him in and out of the team. Must work wonders for the guy's confidence. If he ends up being a £6m write-off there's one man who has to take the flak.

When he pounced on the goalie's mistake and scored on the turn. So, you were saying about a striker's instincts?

Isn't the entire argument that Kalinic has shown 'glimpses' of talent, but our tactics aren't getting the best out of him?

That turn against Villa?

A good shot at Tottenham? :)

There isn't much more to find, you wont need a logbook.

Den I feel you are being overly harsh here. Firstly the Everton goal was fantastic reactions because no one thought Howard would spill it. Kalinic's reactions were fantastic in that instance because he wasn't expecting any sort of chance, as 99% of times if not more the keeper would've had it in that situation. Also I could be wrong but there were defenders around and he had to hook at it as I recall, so not an easy chance.

Maybe you won't need a logbook but then how much of that is down to the player and how much of that is down to the fact we give so little service he doesn't get chance to prove he is that type of player?

Den I feel you are being overly harsh here. Firstly the Everton goal was fantastic reactions because no one thought Howard would spill it. Kalinic's reactions were fantastic in that instance because he wasn't expecting any sort of chance, as 99% of times if not more the keeper would've had it in that situation. Also I could be wrong but there were defenders around and he had to hook at it as I recall, so not an easy chance.

Maybe you won't need a logbook but then how much of that is down to the player and how much of that is down to the fact we give so little service he doesn't get chance to prove he is that type of player?

4 goals in 36 appearances, not sure how many were starts but regardless that stat is pathetic. Systems and service talk is garbage, we do create chances we've got 20 in the league this season which seems about the average looking at the table. To cut it he should have more goals to his name and he has'nt and that says everything, sounds harsh but he really would'nt be missed. A 1 in 2 striker is out of our price range but we can afford a 1 in 3 striker and we do get enough service against none big 4 clubs to support that kind of ratio but kalinic ain't the man.

4 goals in 36 appearances, not sure how many were starts but regardless that stat is pathetic. Systems and service talk is garbage, we do create chances we've got 20 in the league this season which seems about the average looking at the table. To cut it he should have more goals to his name and he has'nt and that says everything, sounds harsh but he really would'nt be missed. A 1 in 2 striker is out of our price range but we can afford a 1 in 3 striker and we do get enough service against none big 4 clubs to support that kind of ratio but kalinic ain't the man.

He is not big enough to be a set piece winner nor is he a target man, he does'nt create his own chances through pure strength like Roberts, to me his best attributes are in the six yard box and his link up play to create space for himself.

The way we play does'nt give him the best opportunity to score goals, we dont support him fast enough, we dont work the ball forward through the middle allowing him to link up with other players so he can get in goal scoring positions.

The lad has ability im sure but we will never see it while we play this way it just does'nt work with his game and he isnt adapting, shocking buy, we cant afford to waste money like that, my main gripe is that we will see him somewhere else banging goals in for fun.

He is not big enough to be a set piece winner nor is he a target man, he does'nt create his own chances through pure strength like Roberts, to me his best attributes are in the six yard box and his link up play to create space for himself.

The way we play does'nt give him the best opportunity to score goals, we dont support him fast enough, we dont work the ball forward through the middle allowing him to link up with other players so he can get in goal scoring positions.

The lad has ability im sure but we will never see it while we play this way it just does'nt work with his game and he isnt adapting, shocking buy, we cant afford to waste money like that, my main gripe is that we will see him somewhere else banging goals in for fun.

Spot on.

Typified with our second goal yesterday. A nothing ball lobbed forward, Roberts out-muscled the defender, held it off, and flicked it on for Emerton bury it. That's why a Roberts-type striker is perfect for our 'style' of play. Kalinic does his best in the role, but he's just not cut out for it.

• Backroom

I think it's pretty clear now that he's done here, he just doesn't fit our style and is arguably our fourth choice striker now with potentially more to come.

It's a shame for him as he seems a nice lad but I just don't think he has the attributes for this level yet.

Hopefully we can recoup a chunk of the fee at least.

Archived