BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nikola Kalinic

I watched him earlier in the season, in particular the two games where he got those lucky goals, and he looked decent in our system. He seemed to be more confident on the ball, he could receive it well, make space for himself and get his shots on target (or at least at the post/crossbar). So I agree there is potential there, but I think he's suffering from nerves. Too often he's either falling over or wildly flailing for the ball. He reminds me a bit of "Flappyhandski" (as you call him) on a bad day. So in my opinion, if Sam needs to address anything, then it's definitely Kalinic's confidence and morale levels. With better support from midfield and more confidence Kalinic CAN turn into at LEAST a 10-goal-a-season striker.

I agree he's got something and seems to know where the net is.

You could well be right on the confidence front, but given that he's in and out constantly I would not be surprised if it was the case. Look at the Liverpool match, the service he got was poor, most of it came in the air and he's up against 2 giants. He never really stood much chance. Half time comes and he's off, so what's going through his mind? The manager thinks its my fault. The style changed distinctly after 45, and Benjani got more flat balls into him. But Niko was dragged off.

The boy is probably very low these days.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It annoys me reading his critics comments. When he gets the ball he creates well and looks a good player. It's a fact the service he receives is terrible and he very rarely gets the chance to show his talent with 3 men around him marking him with no support. As pointed out above his movement is good and it's a fact he can pack a good shot, like his goal wrongly disallowed against tottenham last season, also was in the right place when his goal was again wrongly disallowed at old Trafford. I think he is genuinely unlucky and the victim to a poor system. When do we see him fluff a chance or break up a good attack? We hardly do because he doesn't get the opportunity at all. If he starts messing everything up perhaps my opinion will change. It's unfortunate he gets dragged off every game, THE LAD NEEDS CONFIDENCE. If I was kalinic playing with the system we are and not getting opportunities and getting subbed I'd want out. I hope he proves the doubters wrong.

• Backroom

The thing is though when he gets dragged off the guy coming on shows more signs of creating something. Benjani did more within minutes in both of the last two games and apparently he's the worst player in the history of the universe according to most.

I watched Jon Stead for Bristol City against QPR a few days ago. He did more in that game than Niko's showed in months.

And Jon Stead is not Premier League quality! I know people will say different league but it was against the league leaders and I haven't seen a goal like that from Niko since we bought him.

I watched Jon Stead for Bristol City against QPR a few days ago. He did more in that game than Niko's showed in months.

And Jon Stead is not Premier League quality! I know people will say different league but it was against the league leaders and I haven't seen a goal like that from Niko since we bought him.

How we could do with signing a player in January and him making a similar impact to what Stead did when we first signed him. Scored some very important goals. Some very good goals too.

Though as I and many others have said, even a top class striker would struggle upfront for us. No service, no support and expected to beat two centre backs on his own, when the ball is mostly aimed to him at head height. Diouf up front with Niko or even Benjani would see him play better I'm sure.

His confidence must be rock bottom and I'm sure he can't be enjoying his football at the moment.

Stead thrived at Rovers in that half season because he benefited playing alongside Andy Cole. The season after when Cole had gone he looked half the player.

When you think about it, how many of our top strikers over the last 10 years would cope well leading our line at the moment?

Jansen? No way. Great playing in the hole behind Bent/Cole but no target man

Cole? He could do it, but frustration overload would soon set in

Bellamy? Not ideal for him but yes. but then the guy is the best Rovers player since Shearer

McCarthy? No, much prefers playing alongside someone to do the running for him (Roberts, Derbyshire)

Santa Cruz? Not sure. You would think so but then he liked the ball in front of him. Also played better off Roberts than when alongside McCarthy

Just makes you realise what's being asked of Nicko at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright guys, I'm trying to find a video of a Kalinic goal from last season. I can't remember who we were playing but it was an amazing goal, but was disallowed. Kalinic chested it, turned and scored. Remember that one? Any info would be awesome, cheers.

Stead thrived at Rovers in that half season because he benefited playing alongside Andy Cole. The season after when Cole had gone he looked half the player.

When you think about it, how many of our top strikers over the last 10 years would cope well leading our line at the moment?

Jansen? No way. Great playing in the hole behind Bent/Cole but no target man

Cole? He could do it, but frustration overload would soon set in

Bellamy? Not ideal for him but yes. but then the guy is the best Rovers player since Shearer

McCarthy? No, much prefers playing alongside someone to do the running for him (Roberts, Derbyshire)

Santa Cruz? Not sure. You would think so but then he liked the ball in front of him. Also played better off Roberts than when alongside McCarthy

Just makes you realise what's being asked of Nicko at the moment.

Santa Cruz would be very good for the way we play if he could be convinced to not drop deep which was a constant problem with him. For the current system to work well we need the target man to be strong, good in the air and with the ball at feet, and always playing right on the defensive back line to create room for oncoming midfielders.

If you look across the league there aren't too many who can do that. Davies, Adebayor, Drogba, Crouch, Kenwyne Jones. You're right that it will be difficult to find someone who will come out looking good.

That said with the midfield as poor as it is it remains hard to see how we can move away from five in midfield. The solution, unless we find cracking central midfielders which seems a bit far feched, is to find someone who can do that striker role. That is where the money will go in January.

Santa Cruz would be very good for the way we play if he could be convinced to not drop deep which was a constant problem with him.

A constant problem? - 23 goals in 57 appearances. Wish Niko would give us problems like that Joey.

• Backroom

Way too much totally unfounded faith in Kalinic on this board.

Agree with that, I was under the same impression last season thinking he was just unlucky but now I'm not so sure, we can't afford to keep giving him time to find his feet.

Luckily for him Benjani is injury prone in the extreme and Roberts isn't a starter.

I thought he showed glimpses of his skill and potential against Spurs, but he continues to look nervous and clumsy. It's like he's looking to fall over and all his movements are really jerky. If he calmed down a bit and got a bit more composure on the ball, I think we would have a quality striker on our hands, but he's just not showing that unfortunately. Samba's a bit like that on the ball as well, which is one of his few weaknesses.

I thought he showed glimpses of his skill and potential against Spurs, but he continues to look nervous and clumsy. It's like he's looking to fall over and all his movements are really jerky. If he calmed down a bit and got a bit more composure on the ball, I think we would have a quality striker on our hands, but he's just not showing that unfortunately. Samba's a bit like that on the ball as well, which is one of his few weaknesses.

I think his problem is his lack of upper body strength. He's as skinny as Pedersen but playing in a position that requires him to beat players who are usually bigger, taller, stronger...

Imho, for Kalinic to shine, he needs someone alone side him to take the pressure off. He has quite a good first touch so he's more suitable as the type of striker who moves into channels.

what a turn in the box! the norwegian commentators were raving about him and how seldom yoyu see a striker turn likethat.

He got tripped at the same time and probably could have gone down but tried to stay up and score but Gomes made a good save. Wish he'd have dived out the way like he did for Givet's goal :P

A constant problem? - 23 goals in 57 appearances. Wish Niko would give us problems like that Joey.

As Exiled pointed out it wasn't a problem when we played two up with Roberts leading the line and Cruz coming deep with Bentley providing the supply. However I think in our current formation he would suffer as he would drop into our already congested in midfield too regularly. Just an opinion.

As Exiled pointed out it wasn't a problem when we played two up with Roberts leading the line and Cruz coming deep with Bentley providing the supply. However I think in our current formation he would suffer as he would drop into our already congested in midfield too regularly. Just an opinion.

I was simply replying to your post which said he dropped too deep when he was here. Well, IMO he didn't drop too deep, he was a top player whose movement and control caused problems for the opposition. He played his role exquisitely well - when fit.

and let's be honest, if RSC had managed to drop deep regularly - helping out the midfield when required, while at the same time soring every other game, he should be hailed as a genius, rather than it being seen as a weakness.

Archived