BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Topic The Final Day

Givet was terrific yesterday at centre-back. Keep him there! That means we need a left-back with the talent and experience to hold down that position. So lets not sell Warnock at all.

Whilst in a perfect world I agree, that midfield has some right shitbags playing in it.

If we need to 'sacrifice' Warnock in order to get someone half special in that position, then so be it.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whilst in a perfect world I agree, that midfield has some right shitbags playing in it.

If we need to 'sacrifice' Warnock in order to get someone half special in that position, then so be it.

But having only £2-3 million to spend is going to make it hard to bring in a real quality central midfielder. When you consider how much money is taken from the sale of our players i don't think its worth selling in this case.

But having only £2-3 million to spend is going to make it hard to bring in a real quality central midfielder. When you consider how much money is taken from the sale of our players i don't think its worth selling in this case.

I suspect this time if we were to sell Warnock for £10m, £5-6m could be spent as a fee, with the rest for wages.

There are four midfielders all within a month of returning from injury all of whom are better than what we had on the pitch yesterday.

The club is quite clear- the offer for Warnock has to be £12m. Villa are low balling everywhere as the end of the window approaches. I still think Spurs are a greater threat to our defenders.

My guess is that we will get Salgado in and a much more dispensible player than Warnock will be sold. But if Everton and Man City are genuinely scrapping it out for Bentley and Upson goes to City as well, the last few days of the transfer window are going to be hard hat times for Rovers supporters. Thankfully Warnock wants to stay at Ewood.

There are four midfielders all within a month of returning from injury all of whom are better than what we had on the pitch yesterday.

The club is quite clear- the offer for Warnock has to be £12m. Villa are low balling everywhere as the end of the window approaches. I still think Spurs are a greater threat to our defenders.

My guess is that we will get Salgado in and a much more dispensible player than Warnock will be sold. But if Everton and Man City are genuinely scrapping it out for Bentley and Upson goes to City as well, the last few days of the transfer window are going to be hard hat times for Rovers supporters. Thankfully Warnock wants to stay at Ewood.

Those four midfielders haven't played 20 games between 'em in the past few seasons, so to suggest that the problem is soon to be over is stupid. Also, Dunn, Grella, Reid and Emerton are all average Premier League midfielders, it's just the one or two of the ones playing yesterday were poor Premier League midfielders. The team won't progress until this is rectified, and losing Warnock wont derail us too much whilst we bed a new midfielder into the team.

And your last sentence is utter speculation, with ABSOLUTELY NO INSIDE KNOWLEDGE.

Givet was terrific yesterday at centre-back. Keep him there! That means we need a left-back with the talent and experience to hold down that position. So lets not sell Warnock at all.

I'm inclined to agree but we have no decent midfielders who can stay fit and no money to get one. Don't get me wrong, I do not want to sell Warnock but what's the alternative? Persevere with Andrews?

Those four midfielders haven't played 20 games between 'em in the past few seasons, so to suggest that the problem is soon to be over is stupid. Also, Dunn, Grella, Reid and Emerton are all average Premier League midfielders, it's just the one or two of the ones playing yesterday were poor Premier League midfielders. The team won't progress until this is rectified, and losing Warnock wont derail us too much whilst we bed a new midfielder into the team.

And your last sentence is utter speculation, with ABSOLUTELY NO INSIDE KNOWLEDGE.

Dream on buddy

I disagree with this statement. Dunn is a quality midfield player, Reid has shown previously that he can be a good midfield player and Grella has not shown us what he is capable of doing due to injury!

Emerton, well, I concur with the likes of T4E in that I think he should be moved into midfieldas he has all the qualities of a good midfield player. The problem is that 3/4 players you mentioned are injury prone but this does not diminish the huge problem that those three account for nearly £100K a week in wages and we cannot add a quality midfield player with those guys a month away from full fitness.

I'm inclined to agree but we have no decent midfielders who can stay fit and no money to get one. Don't get me wrong, I do not want to sell Warnock but what's the alternative? Persevere with Andrews?

Selling Warnock (who with Samba are our only 2 saleable assets) and bringing in Rothen is suicide. If warnock goes we need to be resigning Bentley or looking at the Huddlestone lad not some aging player who may or may not be able to convert to midfield. The club must replace quality with quality for a change.

I suspect this time if we were to sell Warnock for £10m, £5-6m could be spent as a fee, with the rest for wages.

Why reserve money for wages? Does Warnock play for nothing?

I disagree with this statement. Dunn is a quality midfield player, Reid has shown previously that he can be a good midfield player and Grella has not shown us what he is capable of doing due to injury!

Emerton, well, I concur with the likes of T4E in that I think he should be moved into midfieldas he has all the qualities of a good midfield player. The problem is that 3/4 players you mentioned are injury prone but this does not diminish the huge problem that those three account for nearly £100K a week in wages and we cannot add a quality midfield player with those guys a month away from full fitness.

I guess it's a case of agreeing to disagree, as I think Dunn has lost every inch of his spark that made him so special pre Birmingham, hence making him very average. And Reid, since signing in 2003, has had 6 good months, 6 bad months, and 5 years injured. Grella I think is very average, though I do think Emerton could be a good midfielder for us, but lacks the 'killer pass' we have to spend money on.

Why reserve money for wages? Does Warnock play for nothing?

Oh hi Al, yeah sorry it's just I was under the impression the board wanted one or two off the wage bill before we could sign Salgardo. You know, hence the last week of discussion on this board. Hence my suggestion.

Guest ErinBrown

I get the feeling this Warnock to Villa issue is going to drag on, and for the sake of all of us who don't believe it's going to happen and want to read more positive news regarding Rovers, can a Warnock topic be created please?

Don't agree there Gord. I think if Givet had been at fullback today we might have got something out of that game despite our woeful finishing.

As a defender I think Warnock is too much of a liability.

7M, snatch their hands off Sam.

If Nelsen had been fit he may well have, Sam likes strong defensive fullbacks against the bigger teams.

Stevie offers so much going forward that givet never could he gets crosses in the danger zone. We have too few players how do this, if we sold him based on yesterday we'd see 6 defending players on the pitch with the two sitting mifielders. and then diouf, gamst, Benni, Jase against the world?

I get the feeling this Warnock to Villa issue is going to drag on, and for the sake of all of us who don't believe it's going to happen and want to read more positive news regarding Rovers, can a Warnock topic be created please?

Given that there is precious little Rovers related transfer news, that really doesn't seem necessary.

Also, any Warnock-selling talk will ultimately lead to talk of replacements, which will belong here.

Guest ErinBrown

Got to agree with Phil Thompson yesterday from Sky. Our center of midfield really lacked creativity and guile yesterday. Can't help but feel that if we can hold onto Warnock, maybe get rid of one or two of our more less reliable midfielders and bring in someone half decent with some creativity, we will be allot stronger this season.

If i was Sam, i would put signing Rothen and Salgado on the back-burner and try and find a strong creative center midfielder, maybe on loan or maybe get some money from Gally, Zurab and those outgoing midfielders if we can. Givet and Samba can stay in center defence, with Nelsen as backup and Emerton as a further backup in emergancy?

Just seen their game on Football First.

They have bigger problems than at left - back.

Their keeper is getting creeky for a start.

Young is abysmal.

Both centre halves are awful.

Carew is Roberts in disguise and the bungalow is over-hyped.

Midfield is a mess without Barry. Start there MON.

Off topic - They cost me £130 yesterday!

On topic - I think you are bang on there. They have bigger problems than Warnock alone will solve. Their run of bad form seems to be continuing into this season.

Anyone yesterdays display, Warnock should not be sold for such a misely sum IF SOLD AT ALL

Couldn't put it better myself.

Lets just hope the bank manager sees it that way as well.

I called my dog Warnock, we can't sell him I'll never look at my dog the same again. -_-:lol: he wouldn't be a rover!!

Fine, we'll be able to spend 2-3 million, the rest will go to those "other investments", like it always happens.

Tell me MrE (and I'm assuming that you are in work) do you spend your entire salary on hedonistic pleasure and entertainment or do regrettably have to reserve a chunk for mortgage / loan repayments, council tax, utilities bills etc etc?

BRFC needs a lump of money to keep it afloat and the people who invested in BRFC all those years ago to put us in the top flight need a return on their investment. So why do stupid people continually cry out for 'investment' in their club yet begrudge paying any return on that investment? I find such mind sets and thought processes absolutely baffling.

Got to agree with Phil Thompson yesterday from Sky. Our center of midfield really lacked creativity and guile yesterday. Can't help but feel that if we can hold onto Warnock, maybe get rid of one or two of our more less reliable midfielders and bring in someone half decent with some creativity, we will be allot stronger this season.

If i was Sam, i would put signing Rothen and Salgado on the back-burner and try and find a strong creative center midfielder, maybe on loan or maybe get some money from Gally, Zurab and those outgoing midfielders if we can. Givet and Samba can stay in center defence, with Nelsen as backup and Emerton as a further backup in emergancy?

I agree about Rothen but you only get a chance to sign somebody of Salgado's class once and you have to strike while the iron is hot.

I can't believe the trustees short sightedness to refuse to sanction this. They really are a millstone around our (and the manager's) neck.

we've lost warnock im afraid. Shorey was awful for villa and there is no way he is going to stay there. Warnock will sign for villa and i will happily have a bet with any one of you who disagree.

What makes you say that? Have you some info that you are not sharing??

I said to my mate yesterday during the game that Warnock had just added £2m to his valuation with his early second half display.

But lost £1m when he dived in/ slipped for the 1st goal!

I think to be consistant with our pricing policy we would have to demand £10m for Warnock.

I don't necesserily believe this is his true value, but if we demand £18m for Santa Cruz and £3m for Derbyshire, then we would be loosening our policy to accept £7m for Warnock.

Id agree £10m has to be the minimum.

Archived