BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Topic The Final Day

I heard a suggestion yesterday that the Board might be trying to "cop a deaf un" whenever Sam tries to bring up the subject of Salgado.

Whether there is any truth in that I don't know, but it may be that particular move is far from being a done deal.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard a suggestion yesterday that the Board might be trying to "cop a deaf un" whenever Sam tries to bring up the subject of Salgado.

Whether there is any truth in that I don't know, but it may be that particular move is far from being a done deal.

Sam can leave a copy of the People on Williams's desk then open at the page with Salgado photo :lol:

Wow, we are short of defenders?

Samba

Givet

Nelsen

Olsson

Gunning

Jones

Zurab

Emerton

Andrews (as a last resort).

Warnock

Jacobsen

Sorry i have to disagree with Sam.

Gunning and Jones aren't up to standard. Andrews is a serious last resort at RB, he's pretty bad in his natural position to begin with. Olsson has yet to impress when handed a first team jersey. Emerton is good at RB, but would perhaps be penciled in for midfield upon his return.

I can certainly see where Allardyce is coming from.

If Warnock goes we don't automatically need a left back to replace him - Givet would be a clear first choice, with Olsson or Salgado able to play there if Nelsen or Samba is unavailable at centre half.

Our first eleven would be more improved by spending the Warnock money on a quality central midfielder to create some chances for our forwards... and hope one of them remembers how to hit a barn door with a banjo.

If Warnock goes, i for one will be gutted!

Will Nikola play on Saturday do you think Nicko? I know you're not the manager, but any inside information. I am off up to Sunderland and am hoping to see him.

If SW does go, Baines would be my replacement.

We'd stand no chance of signing Baines - if he was available for less than we want for Warnock, Villa would sign him instead.

If Warnock goes we don't automatically need a left back to replace him - Givet would be a clear first choice, with Olsson or Salgado able to play there if Nelsen or Samba is unavailable at centre half.

Our first eleven would be more improved by spending the Warnock money on a quality central midfielder to create some chances for our forwards... and hope one of them remembers how to hit a barn door with a banjo.

Disagree completely. Warnock is obviously one of our very best players who is also of the right age and imo he was very impressive yesterday along with Givet who was absolutely outstanding at CB. Why deliberately weaken one area of the side to potentially strengthen another?

Plus, then even if you thought Olsson was adequate cover for Givet at LB I presume we'd need another centre back.

Completely pointless and self defeating exercise.

If however we could persuade someone to chuck silly money at us for Nelsen at his age I'd look at that a lot more favourably

i thought warnock was vice captain? i never noticed at the time but robbo was captain yesterday in nelsen's absence

I thought he was to be honest, I know Ince made Dunn vice captain at the start of the season but then I thought Warnock was vice captain under Sam. Warnock definitely captained the side but it may have been when Dunn was out.

Either way whether or not Warnock was 2nd choice or 3rd choice captain last year it now seems that he isn't even 3rd choice.

Could be making a story out of nothing but at the moment I think the deal is up in the air and down to a fee. The thing is that Sam is no fool and I don't think were under any pressure to sell now after using the Roque money to keep the banks happy, Villa need to move quickly so we can get a replacement in for them to have any chance of getting a deal.

I don't want to see Warnock go but if we could get 10m+ for him and have say around 7m to spend on a center midfielder as well as Salgado on a free then I think it would improve the team as a whole. Givet would play left back with Salgado at RB, Salgado could provide cover at LB if Givet is injured or needs to play CB while Jacobsen would come in at RB.

If it's a case of anything less than 10m then I don't see how it would improve the club, but as I said if a deal can be done that can improve us overall then I'm on board.

Just a feeling based on thats what Rovers usually do; shoot ourselves in the foot.

So Bobby your 'certainty' is just a feeling that you have? :rolleyes:

One reason not sell Warnock - our defence yesterday played extremely well - only weak link was Jakobsen - and even he didn't play too badly (just faded towards the end). Even when Nelsen is fit - I would retain the same back 4 we had yesterday with Givet at Centre-back.

I'm increasingly inclined to agree.

One reason not sell Warnock - our defence yesterday played extremely well - only weak link was Jakobsen - and even he didn't play too badly (just faded towards the end). Even when Nelsen is fit - I would retain the same back 4 we had yesterday with Givet at Centre-back.

Seconded. Givet looks more assured at centre-back. He's solid enough at full-back too, but lacks the impetus to get forward.

If so, you make them seem like a set of overpaid idiots.

As someone pointed out on the Official Messageboard. Salgado did 10 years at Real Madrid. Surely he will get a testimonial and it could be Rovers against Real Madrid. Would love to see the likes of Kaka and Benzema at Rovers.

Any news tonight Nicko?

We were so close to a winning formula yesterday and all we needed was some punch and creativity going through the center!

Everything we hear from Sam suggests that this is not even on his radar. He has concentrated his efforts on finding someone who can actually put the ball in the net. Yesterday, and for most of the pre-season, the critical missing factor has been the lack of a reliable goalscorer. Let's hope he's found one.

Personally, I would love to see us acquire a quality midfield general but I can't see it happening. We are skint.

I can't remember any of our previous managers slagging off JW. From memory, they have all said what a great Chairman he is to work with. Yes they may have lamented the lack of funds available but my impression is that Williams (and the Board) could be relied upon to find the money if it was at all possible without damaging the club. I think he will do the business this time too.

• Backroom

Warnock showed some of his strengths and weaknesses yesterday, he put some great tackles in but far too often let SWP run past him and was caught out of position.

As said previously though its only worth selling him if Sam can use the money to bring in his targets.

Disagree completely. Warnock is obviously one of our very best players who is also of the right age and imo he was very impressive yesterday along with Givet who was absolutely outstanding at CB. Why deliberately weaken one area of the side to potentially strengthen another?

Plus, then even if you thought Olsson was adequate cover for Givet at LB I presume we'd need another centre back.

Completely pointless and self defeating exercise.

If however we could persuade someone to chuck silly money at us for Nelsen at his age I'd look at that a lot more favourably

You say you disagree, but everything after that has nothing to do with what I posted.

Warnock is absolutely one of our best players, though, I'm with you there. However, every indication from the club points to Warnock having a price on his head.

Evidence? When the papers linked Samba with a move, Sam was quick to bury it. No official comment on Warnock. Nicko's people inside the club said Sam told O'Neill to triple his bid. The same day, the LET (who can't afford to run stories the club don't want running) say Rovers have a valuation in the £7-9m range.

Now, assuming Warnock leaves for (for the sake of a hypothetical discussion) £10m, what are we left with in defensive options?

Right back: Jacobsen, Emerton, Selgado - and Andrews, Reid, multiple youth team options if Swine Flu strikes Brockhall.

Left back: Givet, Olsson, and any one of about a dozen emergency "warm bodies" - again, if half the club goes down with swine flu we could stick Pedersen there.

Centre half: Nelsen, Samba, Givet, Zurab.

It's not an ideal situation, but it's one we could survive until next summer on. Meanwhile, we've got six players who could fill the two (or three) central midfield spots, two of whom are coming back from very serious injuries and two more who can't be relied on to be fit two weeks in a row. Of the remainder, one was signed recently from the third tier of French football and is expected to develop into a good to great player in time, and the other was signed from the third tier of English football and tries hard but looks out of his depth against most first-tier sides.

Almost everyone accepts that Rovers are going to have to sell to buy. If Warnock is the last remaining player that a club with deep pockets wants to poach from us, the realities of being Blackburn Rovers in 2009 is that we should probably get the best price we can for him and try to spend the money as quickly as possible on a player who in a year or two's time will probably be sold on for a profit.

it's pretty simple, our midfield misses the "x" factor, diouf has never really had it and pedersen had it, but can't seem to find since that last 2 years, and Andrews no disrepect to him, he's a sqaud man at best, especially in the PL, if we seriusoly wan't to challenge for a europa league place, i mean seriously is Andrews in the team gona make that happen ;)

Almost everyone accepts that Rovers are going to have to sell to buy. If Warnock is the last remaining player that a club with deep pockets wants to poach from us, the realities of being Blackburn Rovers in 2009 is that we should probably get the best price we can for him and try to spend the money as quickly as possible on a player who in a year or two's time will probably be sold on for a profit.

But if we can only bring in an inferior player/players, it makes no sense whatoever to sell!

There's only one way to improve, keep hold of your better players at all costs, sell/offload any deadwood and try and unearth one or two gems along the way. Mark Hughes realised that seemingly.

Archived