BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V West Ham

Just listened to Sam on Radio Rovers - He seems very pleased.

There was nothing in this game. Hoilett had the big chance. He looked very good when he came on.

I thought Andrews had a good first half, but in the second he was awful.

Roberts was ineffective.

Dunn, Chimbonda and Grella were good.

There was nothing clever about our play. It was direct and simple. Not good to watch, but will get the points to make us safe - no more than that.

I would say that considering we had two defensive midfield players the aim of the game was "do not lose" rather than "win", I can see us playing more fluid football with the players at our disposal of which Hoillett and Kalinic looked very good.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Positives:

-Clean Sheet.

-Solid performance on the whole by the back four and keeper.

-Managed to pick up our first point.

-Dunny my MOTM, thought he was immense and the only player really trying to create something attacking wise.

-Kalinic i thought played a lot better than he did against the Gills, held up the ball well and most of his passes and lay offs found a teammate. Think he will come good though he needs decent service.

-Hoilett i think is going to be a very decent talent, seemed to link up well with Kalinic in that final 15-20 mins.

-Grella managed to play the full 90 which is a good thing.

Negatives:

- Andrews- Thought his passing was really poor today.

- Still not taking our chances when they come, with the international break coming up it would have been nice to get some goalscoring form going.

- Thought West Ham looked drained physically and emotionally from the midweek game, especially in the second half. With more clear cut chances and better finishing i think we could have won this.

- Roberts- Don't think he is good enough to start games, he has to be playing at 100% otherwise he isn't worth the place. Perhaps dropping him would give him a kick up the arse?

Overall i'm slightly worried about our lack of goals in the league, but its still early. Keep in mind we have brought in a lot of players it could take time for them to gel and for Sam to make small changes to get the best out of them.

I would say that considering we had two defensive midfield players the aim of the game was "do not lose" rather than "win", I can see us playing more fluid football with the players at our disposal of which Hoillett and Kalinic looked very good.

Not sure about that, this will probably be our "stock" formation I think as it suits our players the best. Problem is we played far too deep in the first half and Roberts was absolutely isolated. We need to keep a higher line, and at least one of the two defensive players needs to be willing to carry the ball forward.

In the second, especially when Hoilett and Kalinic came on, we did a much better job of creating triangles and playing short passes and getting onto knockdowns.

We have enough pace at the back now to play a higher line effectively.

Its one of those things, if we don't manage to start putting the ball in the net the heads could drop and we could fall apart. But if we do manage to get a couple of results together I am actually very optimistic.

Its a bit strange when we only have one point but I think we actually have the best set of defensive players since I started watching Rovers seventeen years ago.

Problem is we lack creativity beyond Dunn. We are very reliant on Hoilett, Di Santo and Kalanic coming through. But if they do we have a very strong team.

We played a defensive team and got a goalless draw, should have probably thrown caution to the wind considering Wham had their heads down after the mid-week shenanigans.

Positives were Chimbonda who looked great, Hoilett and Kalinic made our attack look 1000 times more lively when they came on, Hoilett's chip was a heart stopper. Grella also had a decent game for his first game back in ages, and the full 90.

Peders back to his usual self, moments of goodness, most of it average. Andrews was the weakest player, not awful, just doesn't have the vision to play at this level. We lost aerial dominance in midfield when N'Zoz came off.

Most telling moment was the clip of a baby fast asleep...I almost was, only the Bolton Liverpool game was on the next TV so ended up watching bits of the cheating, diving Scousers fluke their way to a win - no way was that a red card!

It will be nice when we have Bert, Salgado, Benni, Dunn, Grella, Kalinic and the Admiral fully fit and back on form cos defensively we look great, we just need the bite in midfield and the spark up front.

• Backroom

Rarey left Rovers feeling as down as I do today, I've always backed Sam but today I could see why some don't like him.

2 dropped points today and there is only him to blame sadly, 1 up front at home is unacceptable.

-Dunny did ok at times but his main problem is he is't even close to being as good as he thinks he is, tries to much with stupid stepovers and his look the other way passes.

-Chimbonda was MOM by a country mile but its blatant he has no left foot

- Junior looked most dangerous but maybe should have done better with his chances

- Kalinic looked clumsy but did ok

- For me Dunny should have been sent off, he put in a nasty challenge and did 2 shocking dives

- Tugay would have been a better option than any of our centre midfielders today

You simply have to win games like this or you will struggle

It was a good last 20 minutes :D

Walking away from the game my daughter said 'Spongebob is better than football'! She had a point. It wasn't the type of game for the neutral or for recent fans who want to be entertained.

But it was an abject lesson in keeping a clean sheet - and it was an impressive one. We were warned before the match that Sam wanted a clean sheet and to not lose and this was confirmed when the team sheet was released. He will be able to point out these positives to his new team who will draw confidence from it and as they get used to each other the performances will improve.

Other positives today, apart from the obvious Dunn, Hoillett and Kalinic, was Chimbonda who started superbly and hardly put a foot wrong.

Overall things will improve as the players get used to each other and they all settle in to their formations.

It still bodes well for the future.

Dunn didn't deserve MOTM, he was poor first half. Chimbonda was my MOTM. Thought Jacobsen played very well too, attacking wise I was surprised.

Roberts up front alone won't work with those midfielders - they are too defensive in their style of play.

We looked a different team when Kalinic came on, he didn't look as bad as some on here seem to be making out. Hoilett had the big chance of the game but skimmed it over, apart from that he played well.

We were too defensive in our play, Robinson didn't even have a save to make. I think Sam intended for this to be a "do not lose/concede" match to raise confidence after conceding 4 in 2 games.

We played better but lacked a cutting edge. I'm not too worried, we will be fine. We just need a bit more decisiveness in front of goal.

Guest charlie1

Very early still but a lack of goals is worrying. Good to hear kalinic and Hoillet both made an impact but we need points sooner rather than later.

Funny how perspectives differ.

Positives

We now seem to have a back four comfortable on the ball and who can play football. Chimbonda looked very good going forward and did not put a foot wrong defensively until very near the end. Could have won it with the last kick of the game. Jacobsen looks very solid and quite good going forward.

Nzonzi cleans up very well and plays it nice and simple. Grella put a shift in and was very good at winning the ball back. Gamst has gone, Pedersen is back. Sure he's still frustrating at times but always available for the ball and dangerous in the final thrid. Dunny basically wanted to win it on his own at the end but was at the middle of everything in the second half. Good 90 minutes from him - can't remember the last time I saw that. Poor old Keith. He simply isn't good enough. He's like a rabbit in the headlights whilst his footballing brain whirrs and clicks and catches up with the action. And if by chance it does then his vision is like a myopic mole. I'm convinced some of our players (notably Dunn and Pedersen) are reluctant to pass to him.

Which brings me to the front line. Jason was a bit unlucky in the first half. Chased around a lot, held the ball up but basically he is unable to play up front on his own if other players are not running off him and in the first half they weren't really. Second half was better. Kalinic replaced him and he looks stronger and faster and can actually control and move the ball away from and around defenders. Once he learns to shoot he might be quite good. Junior looks a real talent - missed a couple of chances he should have taken but frankly he was the only one with the pace to get into those positions.

Man of the match - Tugay for his walk round the pitch. Okay, Chimbonda first half, Dunn second half.

Frustrating overall. Allardyce said we wouldn't play that formation (4-3-2-1) when everyone is fit and available. Might be a good option for tricky away matches but if we play it at home it'll need Emerton or Junior instead of Keith to have any chance of working. Rather we just played 4-4-2 at home though.

Can't wait for Spencey's review :lol:

Roberts should seriously, not be starting games for us. Roberts with a strike partner, is as useless without one playing alongside him. Best moment of the match, Tugay making an appearance. Sam should not be sat in a directors box for me, he should be on the touchline ripping into the boys. Kalinic and Hoiliett should start next game

Roberts should seriously, not be starting games for us. Roberts with a strike partner, is as useless without one playing alongside him. Best moment of the match, Tugay making an appearance. Sam should not be sat in a directors box for me, he should be on the touchline ripping into the boys. Kalinic and Hoiliett should start next game

Eh? He was on the touchline. In a suit. Screaming his lungs out telling them to push out.

It was him, wasn't it?

What fools were singing "you don't know what you're doing" :rolleyes: They should be ashamed as they clearly didn't know what they were taking about.

Some guy in front of me was going mad when he took off Roberts, saying why are we still playing one up front, Hoilett is a striker/forward, so to is Kalanic, what a t*t.

The disappointments of the day was listening to the fans booing, Sam playing a 4-5-1 formation at home for the majority of the game and not putting the ball in the back of the net. To be fair we were the better team, kept a clean sheet, West Ham didn't have a sniff at goal, did Robinson have a save to make? We tightened up at the back, looked solid, especially after losing what some people thought was our "best player". We made a few mistakes, give the ball away but we are improving every game which is a good sign.

I'm looking at the positives, if we continue to keep the back door shut, play with two up front or play with one for the first hour, if it means we stop the opposition from scoring, we'll start to pick up the points our performances deserve, we've been the best team in our last two Premier League games but only come away with one point, if we keep up the good work I am confident we will start to climb up the table.

Robinson - Didn't need to do anything

Chimbonda - Very good debut, Could have scored the winner, Good going forward as well

Givet - Solid as ever

Samba - Annoying when ever he wins the ball in the opposition box the ref blows for a foul, dealt with Carlton Cole very well

Jacobsen - Once again good game

Andrews - Why are people criticising him, one of the best players on the pitch, tracked back, won the ball and pushed forward when noone else would

Dunn - Bright spark in the team, wanted to win more than anyone

Pedersen - As someone said, Gamst has gone, Pedersen is back, still room for improvement

Grella - Won the ball back alot of the time, 90 minuted played thank god

N'Zonzi - Improving game by game

Roberts - Worked hard up front on his own

Subs:

Hoilett - Impressive, tried to score goals, very unlucky with his first shot

Kalinic - Held the ball up well, needs to find his goalscoring boots

Eh? He was on the touchline. In a suit. Screaming his lungs out telling them to push out.

It was him, wasn't it?

Must have seen his twin brother then, speaking through one of his gadgets ;)

Guest Kamy100

The first 65 minutes were utterly awful. The formation was wrong and we were far to deep and defensive, the midfield was not able to support any type of attacking play. The changes helped a little and we could have won it in the end. However to be honest, I am disappointed that I have gone to a game at Ewood park and played against opposition who are on par with us and seen Rovers play so negatively. The formation was to negative.

The positives was that Kalanic did ok, Holliett looks good and Chimbonda did well. Also I thought that Grella did well in the defensive midfield role.

Keith Andrews just seems to get worse each week.

For me -

Robinson 6.5 - Steady but untested

Jacobsen 7 - Steady, solid, didnt let anyone get past him and sent in one great cross in the first half

Samba & Givet 7 - Both kept their cool especially Givet who is emerging as a leader figure

Chimbonda 7.5 - Looked good in defence, but only used his right foot, making it difficult to make an impact going forward

Grella 7 - Looked decent enough breaking up play

Nzonzi 6 - Gone missing not really made an impact

Andrews 5.5 - Too many misplaced passes in key situations, got worse as game went by

Dunn 8- Only creative spark in team

MGP 6 - Back to what he has been known for recently

Roberts 6 - Poor, didnt do anything but also isolated

Kalinic & Hoillett both made impacts; both have a good shout for a starting position. To be honest Mickey Mouse can be good enough to play up front for us these days.

Guest Kamy100
Andrews - Why are people criticising him, one of the best players on the pitch, tracked back, won the ball and pushed forward when noone else would

No no no no, ran around like a headless chicken, won very few tackles and gave the ball away on almost regularly.

Archived