BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V West Ham

Just listen to yourself all of you who criticise Andrews, not just you, think at who you are moaning about every week, he's a Rovers player get over yourselves, you couldn't do any better so why moan about him, it bores me, calling a player of the team you're supposed to support is just sad. You're supposed to support the players not criticise them if they do wrong, get over it. :P

What gets me though Rimmel is that everyone who is all loved up with Andrews comes out with the same garbage:

"You only hate him because..."

"...he's Ince's signing"

"...he's come from division 2"

"...he's not called Andrewdinho"

"...he hasn't got his own song"

"...he's got bad breath"

No, it's nothing to do with all that. Well, not for me at least. I have always tried to give him a chance. I clap when he does something good but I groan when he does something awful... and I haven't been clapping much recently.

It's a fact that for everything he does well he does twice as much badly. He's not good enough to be in the starting line up for a team this division, and if our other midfielders were fully fit he wouldn't be.

I don't need to be a better footballer than him to comment on what he does wrong. I pay my money for that privelege.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have never had a go at Andrews before and certainly not because he is from the lower leagues but today I honestly thought that he was the worst player on the pitch, he was hardly involved in the first 25 minutes and when he did become involved in towards the end of the first half and during the second half all he did was give the ball away on a consistent basis. I agree he does run around a lot but to me it results in very little, he closes down players but then misses his tackles. Having said all of that he must be offering something to the side because Big Sam picks him every week,

Personally i thought that accolade went to Grella,by a fair distance too.Ihave never known a player so static in all my life.As soon as he received the ball he couldn`t wait to get rid of it,regardless of which team he gave it to! He was truly awful! no drive going forward and was part of the problem particularly in the 2nd half when half the side looked like they had replaced their boots with bags of cement... :angry:

I have never had a go at Andrews before and certainly not because he is from the lower leagues but today I honestly thought that he was the worst player on the pitch, he was hardly involved in the first 25 minutes and when he did become involved in towards the end of the first half and during the second half all he did was give the ball away on a consistent basis. I agree he does run around a lot but to me it results in very little, he closes down players but then misses his tackles. Having said all of that he must be offering something to the side because Big Sam picks him every week,

Pedersen was the worst player on the pitch today. He offers nothing to the side - no pace, no guile, no creativity and he pulled out of a few tackles too. There were times when Chimbonda was telling him to get up the pitch as he was basically on top of the Frenchman. His set pieces are atrocious too. He's the biggest confidence player in the world and for some reason his confidence is very low.

Allardyce made the mistake of putting a side out that simply offered no attacking threat. With the players on show we should have held a high line and pressured the West Ham players into mistakes. Instead we sat far too deep and asked Andrews, Dunn and Pedersen to support the dejected and solitary figure of Roberts. None of them have the required pace to do that - which left us multiple times with the ridiculous situation of Roberts holding the ball up surrounded by West Ham players and without a Rovers shirt in the same half of the pitch. West Ham came for the draw and must have been delighted when they looked at the Rovers team sheet. They handled most of what we threw at them very well and rarely looked threatened.

There were a few positive though - the defence was fantastic today. Chimbonda looked very composed at left back and my MOM, Givet, didn't put a foot wrong. Jacobson looks to be a very solid right back too, though he offers little going forward. Hoillett and Kalinic changed the game when they came on - both were making runs for Dunn et al that Roberts didn't and Junior especially injected some much needed pace into the midfield. N'zonzi played reasonably well again and Grella played his role of midfield enforcer to perfection today - more of the same please, Vince.

All in all it's still a point and a clean sheet. Not the greatest of games, but that's football.

Today was a strange one to say the least, why on earth start with that formation 0-0 was exactly what i saw when i saw the team line up.

Wetspam were there for the taking , they looked tired and disjointed and didnt play very good football and we were erm......there too, i cant really say any player played bad they all did exactly what was asked of them which in my opinion wasnt enough.

Sam didnt really inspire me with the gameplan and i dont think he inspired the players either we looked seriously happy and content to sit at 0-0.

The transfer window for me has been nothing but negative for rovers, key placers not replaced and any hint of creative gamestyle seems to have been squished out of the game.

I know people say results are more important than anything but oh my god today was just lifedraining football, i wasnt surprised to hear the spammers giving it large to are you bolton in disguise i say were not even disguised.

Just listen to yourself all of you who criticise Andrews, not just you, think at who you are moaning about every week, he's a Rovers player get over yourselves, you couldn't do any better so why moan about him, it bores me, calling a player of the team you're supposed to support is just sad. You're supposed to support the players not criticise them if they do wrong, get over it. :P

It's not his fault, he's just not good enough. He can't help it if he's picked for every match.

However it's not his fault that we lost two points today. That honour goes to the tactics employed which simply didn't work.

Plus points - Chimbonda had a good debut and the defence looked solid throughout. Kalanic looked very sharp, was a handful for their defence and held the ball up well, and I've a good feeling he's going to be very good. He was certainly a breath of fresh air in a mostly dire match. Sam's got to start playing him, he had their defenders all over the place at times and all he was missing was a strike partner.

On Radio Lancs Sam said that for the Wolves game we'll definitely be going all out to win that one - which suggests that wasn't the plan for this game. I usually stick up for Allardyce but today I can't. West Ham were terrible and no threat at all - there for the taking - 2 points lost in my opinion :(

Personally i thought that accolade went to Grella,by a fair distance too.Ihave never known a player so static in all my life.As soon as he received the ball he couldn`t wait to get rid of it,regardless of which team he gave it to! He was truly awful! no drive going forward and was part of the problem particularly in the 2nd half when half the side looked like they had replaced their boots with bags of cement... :angry:

I thought Grella who again suffers from the stigma of being signed by Ince, had a very good second half.

Andrews who I've defended in the past was admittedly poor today.

I'm not convinced.

Thought someone would imply that they could do better ;)

He would be awesome if he cut out his few mistakes and misplaced passes, he isn't a bad player, I remember him giving the ball away on just a couple of occasions today, no more than any other player, I think all he needs is a confidence boost and for so called supporters to stop criticising and supporting him instead.

You must admit it is getting boring now, reading the criticism on here, he must be doing something right or he wouldn't be getting selected every week.

Those fans were possibly being a little indiscreet but they did have a very good point.

I'm sure everyone groaned inwardly when they saw the line up before the game - Roberts on his own up front.

The reality was even worse than the perception, not Roberts fault, as he toiled away pointlessly with no team mates up to support within 30 or 40 yards of him.

You could argue you should never play one up front at home. If you do, you certainly have to get plenty of support from midfield up to him.

We blatantly needed 2 up front today. When Kalinic came on, our other striker came off - equally negative. Hoillet is a wide player not a striker.

Playing like that we will be lucky if we are in a similar position in December to the one we were in at the same point last season when Ince was sacked.

A very good point ? Are you being serious ? You actually think that the fans singing like those newcastle fans a couple of years ago "had a very good point" ? I thought it bloody embarrassing.

Sam is looking at the big picture and we have a defensive platform to build on now. We needed a clean sheet and in the long run I think we will be better for it.

Who plays wide on the right.

Did very well when he came on but imo we should have brought him on and left Roberts and Kalinic up front.

If he plays "wide on the right", he would be a winger not a striker.

Pedersen was the worst player on the pitch today. He offers nothing to the side - no pace, no guile, no creativity and he pulled out of a few tackles too. There were times when Chimbonda was telling him to get up the pitch as he was basically on top of the Frenchman. His set pieces are atrocious too. He's the biggest confidence player in the world and for some reason his confidence is very low.

About the most accurate, concise summary of MGP you will find. If only we could get the Peds of 3 years ago back, but sadly I fear that he's long since gone.

He would be awesome if he cut out his few mistakes and little bad passes, he isn't a bad player, I remember him giving the ball away on just a couple of occasions today, no more than any other player, I think all he needs is a confidence boost and for so called supporters to stop criticising and supporting him instead.

Were you at the same game? Awesome?

We are talking about Andrews here aren't we?

Fair enough I don't agree with getting on a players case when he makes mistakes and certainly not those who boo the team. I see this as totally counter-productive. Like I said not his fault he keeps getting picked, but to say he's been anything more than poor in every game so far this season is denial. And saying he 'would be awesome' is delusional. He will never be awesome, he's just not good enough at this level despite his efforts.

Sam is looking at the big picture and we have a defensive platform to build on now.

I like Sam immensely as a personality but in terms of the way we're headed on the football pitch I have to seriously disagree.

Today was abysmal, no other way of masking it or describing it, we

have one point and one goal from three games this season and we have played 360 minutes football at Ewood since the last day of last season without finding the back of the net.

If he plays "wide on the right", he would be a winger not a striker.

He is clearly a winger depite what Wiki's description of him is.

Were you at the same game? Awesome?

We are talking about Andrews here aren't we?

Fair enough I don't agree with getting on a players case when he makes mistakes and certainly not those who boo the team. I see this as totally counter-productive. Like I said not his fault he keeps getting picked, but to say he's been anything more than poor in every game so far this season is denial. And saying he 'would be awesome' is delusional. He will never be awesome, he's just not good enough at this level despite his efforts.

I must have my blue & white tinted goggles on :lol:

The official website must be wrong too.

Name: David Hoilett

Nationality: Canadian

Date of Birth: 05/06/1990

Height: 5' 8" (173cm)

Weight: 11st 0lbs (70.0kg)

Position: Striker

Today's line up may well have worked but for the fact that the midfielders were woefully slow at attacking quickly. One break from Dunny in the second half saw Andrews stood still in the centre circle and Grella and N'Zonzi strolling out on line with the back four. There seemed a total lack of awareness. None of them were prepared to take a gamble. Maybe this will improve as the team plays together but the better teams stream forward ( and win games) by moving quickly as a unit.

Considering that Dunn and Grella were only just coming back from long lay offs, Andrews and Nzoni either lack quality or experience at this level, and with Scott Parker deftly pulling the strings for them, I see the method in Sam's 4-5-1 madness...although it looks like I'm in a minority.

Two week break, some decent players on the way back and others with another game under their belts. Things should be on the up-and-up. I bet Wolves and Everton aren't relishing the prospect of facing us!

Gawd knows where we start in trying to sum this game up.

Defensively we did fine. A shaky start from Samba who looked like he was somewhere else in the first 25 mins, but to be fair he got it together after that. Jacobsen did alright, but he doesn't do anything to take the eye either. Givet never put a foot wrong. Chimbonda did well, but it's so obvious that his game is affected by playing at left back, when he's so one footed. When Nelsen is fit, I would start with Chimbonda - Samba - Nelsen - Givet. That isn't a bad looking back four.

From there, it was a shambles. That must go down to Sam. Playing two sitting mids in front of the back four sounded OK to me before the kick off - some sides are going that route now with a little success, Trouble is, with our two being Grella and Nzonzi, they don't do anything but give the ball and stand still. They aren't particularly good passers of the ball anyway. So, four back four players alongside two defensive mids only left four players who were allowed forward. That's simply not enough at home, especially with three of the four behind Roberts. It also leaves us with no width. Simply the wrong tactics Sam, with the players at our disposal.

Kalanic worked hard, probably too hard. Needs to control his energy a little then maybe we would see whether he has the necessary quality.

I was really hoping to see a different Grella today, alas his passing is laboured and the guy has no vision.

Hoillet does look like he could pose the best defences problems - needs to be kept around the squad. At 19 he's a chance.

Nzonzi does his work quite effortlessly at times. That's usually a good sign, but I can't see that the teams present form is the right setting for him yet. He has a chance though.

Roberts simply can't play the lone striker - especially at home where he has even less room to operate.

Dunny - again tried to do too much on his own. He could have done with Tugay alongside him today. Tugay would have brought him into the game a bit more.

Andrews. No comment.

I think the bottom line is, today, apart from the back four, there was a real lack of quality. I wouldn't say any of those lads showed the abilities that are needed at this level.

Oh look Sky Sports say he's a striker too, if he played wide right which you suggested he would come under the category attacking midfielder.

Hope I've made myself clear, David Hoilett is a striker.

Blackburn Rovers Squad List

Goalkeeper:

* 1 Paul Robinson

* 32 Jason Brown

* 34 Frank Fielding

Defender:

* 2 Lars Jacobsen

* 4 Christopher Samba

* 5 Gael Givet

* 6 Ryan Nelsen

* 13 Zurab Khizanishvili

* 21 Martin Olsson

* 21 Pascal Chimbonda

* 27 Michel Salgado

* 28 Phil Jones

Midfielder:

* 7 Brett Emerton

* 8 David Dunn

* 11 Vincenzo Grella

* 12 Morten Gamst Pedersen

* 15 Steven N'Zonzi

* 16 Steven Reid

* 17 Keith Andrews

* 20 Elrio van Heerden

Attacking Midfielder:

* 19 Aaron Doran

Striker:

* 9 Jason Roberts

* 10 Benni McCarthy

* 18 El-Hadji Diouf

* 22 Nikola Kalinic

* 23 David Hoilett

* 26 Franco Di Santo

* 29 Maceo Rigters

Considering that Dunn and Grella were only just coming back from long lay offs, Andrews and Nzoni either lack quality or experience at this level, and with Scott Parker deftly pulling the strings for them, I see the method in Sam's 4-5-1 madness...although it looks like I'm in a minority.

Two week break, some decent players on the way back

And a stupid break for international games where several other of our players will probably get injured leaving us with even less of a midfield and attack than we appeared to have today.

Robinson 7 Had nothing to do, at all.

Jacobson 7 Looked sound defensively, was impressed

Samba 7 See above

Givet 7 Solid as always, a real coup

Chimbonda 8 Brilliant at times, if only he had a left foot

Andrews 4 Shocking, so many attacks broke down in the second half due to poorly placed passing. Offered no attacking support

Dunn 7 Worked hard and tried to make things happen

N'Zonzi 7 Solid, a consistent player

Grella 7 Played well today, and lasted ninety minutes :o

Pedersen 6 Played decent, but was too often out of position as we attacked

Roberts 5 Very poor at times, but was too isolated.

Hoilett 7 Played well when he came on, was a good, pacy outlet

Kalinic 7 Worked very hard and looked good

Playing 4-5-1 was an absolute joke, and I couldn't believe it when he replaced Roberts and not Andrews. The booing may have been extreme, but I could understand the supporter's frustrations as I was just as frustrated. He refused to chase a win, which was very poor given our poor start to the season. Kalinic should have come on earlier, as he and Hoilett looked very dangerous when they came on, and offered an outlet; Roberts just couldn't control the ball and his frustration (as always) was evident as he stopped working at times.

It was ridiculously frustrating when we had the ball in an attacking position and nobody supported the people in more advanced positions. The fans were getting wound up, yet our cries of 'Attack, attack, attack' obviously fell on Sam's deaf ears. Is it me or does he seem content with grinding out draws, with wins merely a bonus?

The best moment of the match was seeing Tugay at the front of the Blackburn End. What a legend that man is. :rover:

However, getting a bit worried about the coming season..

Without a point it was essential that we picked up a point before the break for internationals.

We played for and got a point.

With the injuries it was no surprise that we started with Roberts up front on his own - and if only the midfield had helped him then the game may not have been so boring. To many times certain players were ball watching in our own half in stead of getting up field to help Roberts.

I was trying to work out why Sam played 4-5-1 today, and then it dawned on me.

I was told from a good source (not sauce) that Benni Mac hadn't trained all week, and is probabaly off to Ajax. With Di Santo injured and Kalinic clearly lacking sharpness Sam was forced to play Jason 'Cows A*se and Banjo' Roberts up front on his own, which is fine providing you have the attacking guile in midfield to back him up. Clearly, on today's showing we don't. Dunny simply wasn't mobile enough and Banjo Boy was left too isolated.

On a positive note, I thought the back four were awesome (albeit against a very poor attack) with Chimbonda making a solid debut. N'Zonzi was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch, so why Sam subbed him (other than picking up an injury) I simply can't fathom.

I worry about our attaking options, both up front and in midfield. I can't see where the goals are going to come from. :huh:

Accyrover

Oh look Sky Sports say he's a striker too, if he played wide right which you suggested he would come under the category attacking midfielder.

Hope I've made myself clear, David Hoilett is a striker.

FFS. I'm losing the will to live.

How would you describe Cristiano Ronaldo then?

I would class him as a "winger" not a striker despite the fact he's scored 70 odd goals in 2 seasons because he operates in wide areas of the pitch.

Ditto Hoillett.

For the record I would class Diouf as more of a "winger" or "attacking midfielder" than a striker as well.

Without a point it was essential that we picked up a point before the break for internationals.

We played for and got a point.

After 2 straight defeats I would have said it was essential to get that first win on the board asap.

I agree that Sam approached the game as if he was happy with a nil nil/a point but if a home game against West Ham isn't deemed to be a winnable fixture I'm really struggling to see where we're going to pick up the points we need.

• Backroom

Regardless of what is Hoiletts natural position today he certainly wasn't playing as a striker.

RIMLs argument is the same as me saying Chimbonda played right back today and posting things that say he's a right back

Archived