BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V West Ham

Robinson - Didn't need to do anything AGREE

Chimbonda - Very good debut, Could have scored the winner, Good going forward as well NO LEFT FOOT, BUT DEFENDED WELL

Givet - Solid as ever AGREE

Samba - Annoying when ever he wins the ball in the opposition box the ref blows for a foul, dealt with Carlton Cole very well DID OK

Jacobsen - Once again good game DID OK, BUT SALGADO WHEN FIT SHOULD BE FIRST CHOICE

Andrews - Why are people criticising him, one of the best players on the pitch, tracked back, won the ball and pushed forward when noone else would SORRY, YOU ARE WRONG - HE WAS DIRE. THE VERY DEFINITION OF A HEADLESS CHICKEN

Dunn - Bright spark in the team, wanted to win more than anyone DID WELL AND :o 90 MINS!!

Pedersen - As someone said, Gamst has gone, Pedersen is back, still room for improvement WIMPED OUT OF TACKLES, PASSING ATROCIOUS. WASTE OF A SHIRT. IS IT TOO LATE TO CASH IN?

Grella - Won the ball back alot of the time, 90 minuted played thank god I CAN'T BELIEVE 'GRELLA' AND '90 MINS' ARE IN THE SAME SENTENCE! :) DID WELL

N'Zonzi - Improving game by game SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN TAKEN OFF, ANDREWS OR PEDS SHOULD HAVE

Roberts - Worked hard up front on his own BADLY LET FOWN BY TACTICS, NO SUPPORT FOR UNTIL HOILETT CAME ON

Subs:

Hoilett - Impressive, tried to score goals, very unlucky with his first shot SHOULD START AGAINST WOLVES

Kalinic - Held the ball up well, needs to find his goalscoring boots LOOKS TO HAVE SOMETHING, NEEDS TO NOTCH

The players did OK today, the biggest problem we have is our one-dimensional play.

Here's an excerpt from Big Sam's Big Book Of Tactics:

PLAN A: Win throw-in or free-kick in opposition half, push big men forward, lump it in the 'mixer' and hope for best.

PLAN B: Errrrr ......

It's not pretty, and it might JUST get us enough points to stay up. It is most definitely not good to watch in any way though.

Perhaps everyone on this mb can have a whipround and buy Big Sam a book of football tactics for Christmas? (assuming he's still Rovers manager by then of course .... ;) )

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No no no no, ran around like a headless chicken, won very few tackles and gave the ball away on almost regularly.

I thought he broke the play up well and put himself about, but his passing is absolutely atrocious.

He gave the ball away repeatedly, it was so frustrating. He managed to mess up a simple one-two with Dunn which would have put us in a great position.

Terrible performance.

Another bad result.

Those sort of games happen, but on the back of 2 defeats its not what you would expect. Really poor. Now officially a bad start to the season.

I hope you saw a feed or TV to make these remarks, they are still nonsense but at least you'll have based them on seeing. This was not a great game, the side was set up not to concede first and foremost and achieved the target set by the manager. It was dull to watch but it was not a terrible performance.

I have to say I was very pleased with Chimbonda, my MOTM with a very good performance.

If we want excitment then we have to be playing Kalinic and Hoilett. This was my first sight of these two and in 15 minutes created more than the rest of the side collectively in this match and the City game. Not saying we have a pair of superstars but they had a go and know where the opposition goal is.

At times we played 8-1-1, I am NOT joking. On occassions Roberts was the only player in the West Ham half and he had the ball. He wasn't poor as some have said but had very little support. On at least three occassions Dunn took the ball up field with Roberts only to discover the rest of the midfield were still hanging round our penalty box. We will not score goals like this.

This afternoon was dull, very dull but I'm heartened by the cameo appearances of Hoilett and Kalinic, I shall look forward to watching these two play a full 90 minutes.

Just got back from the game and I'm still very disappointed with what I saw.

We looked really solid at the back, with Wham never looking like scoring, but that is about it. Starting the game with one up front AT HOME said everything about the plan today. I'm really not surprised that Sam is happy with a point because he set the side up to get just that. In his eyes, anything else would be a bonus, no doubt.

On the plus side, it was a frenetic last 10 minutes and I was left wondering why we hadn't put that effort in for the other 80 minutes. Virtually no football worth watching for the vast majority of this game. Maybe if Junior had scored that chance when he just chipped it over the bar, all would have been forgiven, and maybe after I've slept on it I'll feel differently but when you don't get the result, it's hard to stomach 'football' like that.

On a slightly lighter note, I had to laugh at my 6 year old lad who said, "all we are missing is Rooney and Ronaldo". Even at 6, he can see that we are missing some quality in midfield and attack.

Starting the game with one up front AT HOME said everything about the plan today.

Sorry, but that's such an outdated view. Man Utd are playing with one up front today at home - in fact, a lot of clubs do.

The problem was that we didn't get support from midfield. One up front isn't a problem in itself, but it is when the midfield are too deep. I think we missed Diouf today because he generally supports the striker well.

Seriously had to disagree with Sams approach to this game. For 75 minutes I think we thought we were playing Chelsea.

Roberts up front with Dunn behind was never going to yield much. With two defensive centre midfielders we needed the wide men to do something going forward (they didn't until the sub came on).

Set pieces awful again, we even had to resort to trying to play football for 15 minutes before half time which infuriated the Riverside due to our complete ineptitude.

MAKE NO MISTAKE OUR TARGET IS 40 POINTS THIS SEASON.

Robinson. Well protected. Not our best free-kick taker Sam...? 6/10

Jacobsen. Steady Eddie (err Lars) 7/10

Chimbonda. Excellent. Three crucial blocks in the first half. Dealt with everything comfortably. Must be even better at right-back. Better than Warnock on this evedence. 9/10

Givet and Samba. Solid as usual. 8/10 each

N'zonzi. Still learning but did well enough and unlucky to be hauled off. 6.5/10

Grella. One of his better games but still poor 4.5/10

Andrews. Man of the match 10/10! Or at least that's what Sam must be seeing. A totally pointless selection followed by a totally pointless performance. Absolutely amazed that the manager thinks he was the best option in that role today. Amazingly survived 2 substititions, although the second brought chants of "you don't know what your doing". Please please go away. Really 0.1/10 (slighly better than his usual awfullness).

Pedersen. Poor throw-ins, corners, free-kicks and shooting. Didn't support Roberts has he should have, but did get a couple of good crosses over for nobody. 5/10

Dunn. Kept trying but hampered by lack of support and lack of pace. "Second forward" is not his best position, would surely have been better on the right instead of Keith. 7/10

Roberts. Let's face it he's not very good, but I did feel sorry for him today. 5/10

Hoilett. Very bright and should have won it for us late on. 8/10

Kalinic. Looked OK actually. 6/10

MAN OF THE MATCH: Tugay (for the half-time draw) Chim a close second.

Overall very disappointed , Why did we wait almost 80 minutes before trying to beat these. Sam waving people forward after 82 minutes was pathetic after what we had served up before that. Some positives but only 1 point. Very important we beat Wolves now.

No no no no, ran around like a headless chicken, won very few tackles and gave the ball away on almost regularly.

That's all what Robbie Savage did but most people seemed to love him.

Chimbonda give the ball away twice if I remember rightly, Andrews prob give the ball away twice too but everyone seems to criticise him.

Sorry, but that's such an outdated view. Man Utd are playing with one up front today at home - in fact, a lot of clubs do.

The problem was that we didn't get support from midfield. One up front isn't a problem in itself, but it is when the midfield are too deep. I think we missed Diouf today because he generally supports the striker well.

Apology accepted.

The difference with us and United (although there are many!) is that they have a midfield capable of creating chances for their frontman. We did not.

Outdated it maybe, naive even, but after seeing the line up at the start of the match, everything that followed was what I anticipated.

Chimbonda give the ball away twice if I remember rightly, Andrews prob give the ball away twice too but everyone seems to criticise him.

but chimbonda did a hell of a lot WITH the ball than andrews did...

Wow, Keith, you managed to get hope to your PC quick!

Although the result is disappointing, I have no problems with the system. Considering the players who were out injured it seemed the obvious way to go. After playing well in the opening two games and not getting a point I think it was vital that we didn't lose today. A point and a clean sheet are most welcome.

I thought our back four looked good today apart from one or two slips from Samba. Chimbonda looks a good defender and Jacobsen is steady on the opposite flank. Givet is a class act at the back.

N'zonza and Grella did what was expected as the holding players and West Ham had few opportunities to actually get at Robinson.

The three attacking midfielders didn't really function for me in the first half. With Roberts playing up front on his own, it was vital for one or more of the midfield three to get forward quickly and offer more support. I felt we improved in the second half. The introduction of Hoilett helped and he was unfortunate with the chance he put over the bar. However, I thought it was another encouraging performance from the youngster.

Kalinic looked better than at Gillingham the other night and Roberts works hard without ever really getting into a position where he is going to score.

I thought Chimbonda was our best performer and although this game was not of the same standard as the previous three games the point and clean sheet are a plus.

Hopefully, the international break will enable one or two of our injured players to regain fitness.

Andrews gets criticised because Ince bought him from the lower leagues. He scores vital goals and does what is asked of him. Paul Ince, Big Sam, Giovani Trappatoni see something in him. I agree, did nothing more wrong today than any other player.

• Backroom

Another small point, rovers had a free kick on the edge of the box, the West Ham wall was about 6-7 yards so the ref walks out ten paces, the wall doesn't budge so the ref just lets them stay as they are.

Shocking officiating

Wow, Keith, you managed to get hope to your PC quick!

Just listen to yourself all of you who criticise Andrews, not just you, think at who you are moaning about every week, he's a Rovers player get over yourselves, you couldn't do any better so why moan about him, it bores me, calling a player of the team you're supposed to support is just sad. You're supposed to support the players not criticise them if they do wrong, get over it. :P

Guest Kamy100

I have never had a go at Andrews before and certainly not because he is from the lower leagues but today I honestly thought that he was the worst player on the pitch, he was hardly involved in the first 25 minutes and when he did become involved in towards the end of the first half and during the second half all he did was give the ball away on a consistent basis. I agree he does run around a lot but to me it results in very little, he closes down players but then misses his tackles. Having said all of that he must be offering something to the side because Big Sam picks him every week,

Reality check Sam and The Rovers Staff.

What the hell is all that about ? A defensive 4-5-1 formation against West Ham at home is NOt the way to win 3 points.

I sat in my seat in the JW Upper looking at the team sent out for todays game and thought just how we could win the game. I tossed every possible variation of the first 11, then I added the subs, moved them around and jigged them out of position. I still couldnt find a winning formula.

To see Jason Roberts playing up front against 4 Wham defenders was saddening to say the least. Despite his efforts, it was never going to work. You see Roberts is NOT the type of player who can hold the ball up whislt waiting for the cavalry to arrive. Further to that, the Rovers midfield was not nor was it ever going to be the typ eof midfield that COULD SUPPORT a lone striker.

Add this current WHAM team into the mix and you have most definately got to say 2 points missed today. Its not the teams fault it is solely down to Sam Allardyce and his backroom team. When the teams were announced, in particular The Rovers, I am sure that WHAM must have breathed a sigh of relief in the knowledge that we were set up 4-5-1. Todayt, Rovers made a donkey of a centre half in Collins look a world class player.

You know, I even thought that despite our injury list and on field problems, that Sam had sent out a team to make a statement to the clubs board that I NEED A CENTRAL MIDFIELD PLAYMAKER, fear not Sam it most definately worked but also at the same time, it turned some our moronic supporters against you :!:

Robbo - had NOTHING to do.

Jacobsen - good game.

Chimbonda - encouraging debut.

Givet and Samba - coped with everything very well.

MGP - hit and miss (more miss I may add).

Grella - good 90 minutes behind him.

Dunny - impressive game.

Andrews - See comments further down.

NZonzi - I do like the look of his style of play.

Roberts - isolated, no supply and NO BACK UP.

Junior - good home debut.

Kalinic - looked lively

The first half was at best AWFUL. A tiresome affair, no play, no creativity, no NOTHING. Wham were no much better themselves and on reflection the less said the better. Still, a positive at 0-0.

The second half couldnt have been any worse. Rovers contrived to try and play 4-5-1 but Roberts just didnt have ANY support. Because of this the midfield became disjointed as on the odd occasions the midfield did back up, as soon as the ball was lost there was a gping hole in the middle of the park which didnt exactly help out the defence.

On 70 minutes change duly arrived and the game went into a 20 minute passage when Rovers bossed completely but just couldnt find the area in between those white posts. Efforts by Junior, Samba and Chimbonda came to nothing as Wham survived another battering at Ewood to take a point home south with them.

I want to mention Keith Andrews. I have read what has been written and there are clearly differing views. Some fans love him, some like him whilst other simply detest him. I am going to start off positive about him because in the first 45 minutes he did okay. His passing was tidy whilst he can run box to box. It is his productivity, or a lack of it that sets him apart from the rest. Never more was this in evidence than in the second 45 minutes. He constantly and consistently broke all Rovers play down to the best of his inability. Poor passing, missed tackles, the lack of inability to shoot when in acres of space and the ability to relieve the pressure on the opponents own penalty area makes him a massive NEGATIVE for the blue and white shirt. In what is NOT a personal attack, my view is that he simply is NOT GOOD ENOUGH to wear a shirt of Rovers colours, that is unless he actually wants to come into the stands and support Rovers.

Some will say its a positive taking a point and getting off the mark. For me Sam got it wrong today. I dont know why Diuof was missing, the odd rumour suggested a fall out whilst others said he was injured.

Blackburn Rovers have a reputation for always being a hardworking ethical team, everyone hates us and no-one wants to come to Ewood for fear of getting a kicking. Today, Rovers have shown they can play football, they can play hoofball, they can mix it and they can defend. What we cant do is expect to score goals playing a lone striker with NO bloody support.

Finally, and critics and cynics will laugh or cry. Has anyone noticed just how high Rovers have reached in the fair play league ? Todays game saw Rovers draw a blank when it came to YELLOW cards whilst Wham took the honours with 3.

PS. Stevie Warnock, you were not missed.

Apology accepted.

The difference with us and United (although there are many!) is that they have a midfield capable of creating chances for their frontman. We did not.

Outdated it maybe, naive even, but after seeing the line up at the start of the match, everything that followed was what I anticipated.

Sorry for being blunt, I've got a stinking hangover.

I'm quite happy for us to play one up front if we have the appropriate midfield, but we didn't have that today. If we had Diouf, Dunn and Pedersen playing behind a striker I think that would attacking enough.

I can't wait for Emerton to get back, we need someone more dynamic who is willing to carry the ball in midfield. I think he'd do well alongside Grella in that formation today.

What fools were singing "you don't know what you're doing" :rolleyes: They should be ashamed as they clearly didn't know what they were taking about.

Those fans were possibly being a little indiscreet but they did have a very good point.

I'm sure everyone groaned inwardly when they saw the line up before the game - Roberts on his own up front.

The reality was even worse than the perception, not Roberts fault, as he toiled away pointlessly with no team mates up to support within 30 or 40 yards of him.

You could argue you should never play one up front at home. If you do, you certainly have to get plenty of support from midfield up to him.

We blatantly needed 2 up front today. When Kalinic came on, our other striker came off - equally negative. Hoillet is a wide player not a striker.

Playing like that we will be lucky if we are in a similar position in December to the one we were in at the same point last season when Ince was sacked.

• Backroom

We really can't be happy with this result. A 0-0 draw against a West Ham team that were there for the taking. An awful "footballing" display as well, the first 3 games of our season have been pretty disheartening.

I think Sam will get it right, though. The team needs to gel and certain players need to get fit and play consistantly. Once they do, we'll be fine and will pick up the necassary points. However, with the current squad and style of play I don't think we can aim to finish in the top 10. Realistically, 11th downwards is our current level. Goalscoring needs to be addressed asap, we can't go on like this.

Overall pretty disappointed, whilst we will likely pick up the points this season it's obvious we won't like watching it being done. The booing is a little silly, but on the other hand, a defensive 4-5-1 against West ham at home? Can't blame people for being disgusted with that. IF Allardyce is going to play like that he needs to have players that will take their chances when they get them - Roberts isn't the player to do that. I hope Kalinic/Hoillett/Di Santo will be, or we will struggle.

Just listen to yourself all of you who criticise Andrews, not just you, think at who you are moaning about every week, he's a Rovers player get over yourselves, you couldn't do any better so why moan about him, it bores me, calling a player of the team you're supposed to support is just sad. You're supposed to support the players not criticise them if they do wrong, get over it. :P

I'm not convinced.

Archived