• Slightly Stronger
    • The Same
    • Slightly Weaker
    • Much Weaker
    • Grooby should have been sold

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tugay could have replaced Tugay. Possibly on a job-share basis with Dunn with appropriate wages, and time to do his badges.

Unfortunately the Allardyce pedestal has to be far higher than any other figure at the club. Goodbye Tugay. :angry:

BFS should give Tugay a call, apologise, and get him back to Rovers. The guy can still hack 60 minutes at this level - it's barely 3 months since he was the best player on the park. Unfortunately I think the bridges are burned, especially after the maestro's pitchside walk last weekend.

Tugay is a legend, one of the best Rovers have had in midfield. Sadly his passing abilty and general skills are his alone and cannot be taught. Sadly he is not a role model for fitness and health which is possible why he is not currrently coaching. It is possible he could have played a few games a season for Rovers - 60 minutes here and there. But I would hate to witness his demise on the football pitch and people turn against him when he makes a mistake here and there - because as time goes on his skills would diminish. The young players would eventuall make him look a fool - sorry I would hate to witness that.

Should there be a role for Tugay at Rovers? Undoubtable yes. He could look out for other turkish players to come to Rovers - he could help other players from outside the uk to settle in at Rovers. he could be a very good ambassador for Rovers. But on the football pitch, sadly for his sake it is time to move on.

But I would hate to witness his demise on the football pitch and people turn against him when he makes a mistake here and there - because as time goes on his skills would diminish. The young players would eventuall make him look a fool - sorry I would hate to witness that.

Correct.

Prompted by his visit to the UK I watched some great Muhammed Ali stuff on youtube the other night and all that I can say is what a damned shame that he did not retire after the Thriller in Manila. In fact when they took his licence off him for draft dodging and never given it back his legend would be even stronger. Each year therefter he gained bulk, the punches became fewer and the shuffle slowed to a plod. If any boxing fan has an hour and a half to spare this is absolutely cumpulsive viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jMmw036kCY...feature=related

I suppose we may be looking for very cheap options to repalce Di Santo when he is recalled.

Unless he has lost a lot of weight and has been playing regularly there is no point in any club even looking at signing him. He would be shattered 5mins into the medical.

Ronaldo has been playing regularly for Corinthians in Brazil and is back to full fitness, after his spell on the sidelines at Milan. He has scored something like 10 goals in 15 games and is apparently looking very good. I think he has been recalled to the national team. It would be an amazing move, if Sam could bring him to Ewood, despite his age and injury record. He is still a goalscorer, and he would have more of a positive impact on our attendances than anyone else that we could realistically get.

Ronaldo has been playing regularly for Corinthians in Brazil and is back to full fitness, after his spell on the sidelines at Milan. He has scored something like 10 goals in 15 games and is apparently looking very good. I think he has been recalled to the national team. It would be an amazing move, if Sam could bring him to Ewood, despite his age and injury record. He is still a goalscorer, and he would have more of a positive impact on our attendances than anyone else that we could realistically get.

Maybe he could partner Fowler? :D

How would Rovers pay his wages? £70.000 a week is not what rovers pay. As well as strengthen other areas, such as the defence, forwards etc.

:lol: was rsc not on 60k,if we had gone for kranjcer before spurs we might have got him for a lot less,as for the other areas you can't say we need another right back!

They may have been interested - but Sam did say that Rovers were priced out of both of them. In the light of man city splashing the cash, clubs put the fees up for players.

in that case why not bid for messi :lol:

Too many people are looking back on Tugay with rose coloured glasses.

I loved him as a player when he was in his prime, but we probably kept hold of him for a couple of seasons too long. If we were a more affluent club we would have moved him on seasons ago....

If Allardyce could get a full game out him I'm sure Tugay would still be here, but the fact is he is past it & can't last a game. Tugay became a liability towards the end and frankly became almost embarassing to watch in a game. Ok he still had great control, touch & vision but his legs had gone & he often lost possession & then had to foul to stop the break away...

Also if he was really ever THAT good, why did he stay with us? There's plenty of examples of other quality players who've been tempted away from Ewood, but Tugay stayed. Loyal or just not as good as everybody seems to remember...?

Let the stoning commence. :D

I loved him as a player when he was in his prime, but we probably kept hold of him for a couple of seasons too long. If we were a more affluent club we would have moved him on seasons ago....

If Allardyce could get a full game out him I'm sure Tugay would still be here, but the fact is he is past it & can't last a game. Tugay became a liability towards the end and frankly became almost embarassing to watch in a game. Ok he still had great control, touch & vision but his legs had gone & he often lost possession & then had to foul to stop the break away...

Also if he was really ever THAT good, why did he stay with us? There's plenty of examples of other quality players who've been tempted away from Ewood, but Tugay stayed. Loyal or just not as good as everybody seems to remember...?

Embarrassing? He never, ever embarrassed me John. Tugay was the ultimate "footballer". He played the game as all good coaches would want. He was a shining example to the rest of the lads on the pitch. He showed them what they should be doing themselves - control, pass, move.

Having said that, he's now 39 and the only reason we're seeing posts from Tris and others about how he could still do a job for us, is because we haven't replaced him. The failure isn't about offering him another 12 months, but in not having anyone else at the club that comes close to his midfield abilities. Andrews, Grella - pass and move? :D

You forget when he was surrounded by Duff, Dunn(when he could play), Cole etc....we were pushing for europe man....course he was ever THAT good....Its just that for the last few years the @#/? that he's had to play with aren't fit to lace his boots....You should be embarassed by your comments.

If he was twenty eight when he played for us someone would have offered 15 million eventually. Thing is he didn't test himself in a top league until he arrived at Ewood, and then he was 31. I suspect those who had looked to him prior to Souness thought he was too immobile and small to make it in the 'big leagues'. When he came he made a massive impact, with a list of admirers including Ferguson and Beckham.

First four seasons he was at Rovers he was one of the finest midfielders in the league. The last four have been more hit and miss but he can still be brilliant.

I think he will be at Ewood again on the staff at somepoint. I would be very suprised if he doesn't come back.

in that case why not bid for messi :lol:

Teams only tend to put in offers for players they believe are interested in coming and within their financial range. Bent, Crouch, and countless other players will have been sounded out and not been economically viable for our club. Whether you like it or not we have to be very tight with money and Sam has a proven track record of being able to wheel and deal. He's not going to get it right all time, but no manager does.

Tugay could have replaced Tugay. Possibly on a job-share basis with Dunn with appropriate wages, and time to do his badges.

Unfortunately the Allardyce pedestal has to be far higher than any other figure at the club. Goodbye Tugay. :angry:

BFS should give Tugay a call, apologise, and get him back to Rovers. The guy can still hack 60 minutes at this level - it's barely 3 months since he was the best player on the park. Unfortunately I think the bridges are burned, especially after the maestro's pitchside walk last weekend.

Just another post having a go at the manager while pretending to have a point to make.

Just another post having a go at the manager while pretending to have a point to make.

Just pointing out the bleedin' obvious - both the gap in the team and why it's there.

Rather than trying to pretend that Because Allardyce Did It It Must Be Right.

Rather than trying to pretend that Because Allardyce Did It It Must Be Right.

Exactly. He is not beyond reproach, and right now letting Tugay leave looks to be up there with Sam's very worst decisions.

Exactly. He is not beyond reproach, and right now letting Tugay leave looks to be up there with Sam's very worst decisions.

It certainly hasn't done him any favours with the fans. His comment to 'the punters' wasn't the most intelligent thing I've heard either. It was downright arrogant to be honest even if he is right...

It certainly hasn't done him any favours with the fans. His comment to 'the punters' wasn't the most intelligent thing I've heard either. It was downright arrogant to be honest even if he is right...

Just another in a growing list of recent Allardyce media faux pas.

Only those against Allardyce can really criticise the decision to let Tugay go.

As much as I loved to watch him, he is 39! The criticisms must go the the people responsible for not replacing him over the last three or four seasons.

As much as I loved to watch him, he is 39! The criticisms must go the the people responsible for not replacing him over the last three or four seasons.

He didn't replace him this Summer.

I'm not against Allardyce. Do you dispute that our midfield would be stronger if we'd kept him on?

I don't think it's letting the player go but the person, i.e. not giving him some kind of job to do. As a player he was finished. There were times where the Tugay that was on the pitch last season was nowhere near good enough for the Championship let alone the Premier League. In others he was typically magnificent. Liverpool away was one match where Tugs might as well have been sat on the sideline supping a beer and having a smoke.

Do you dispute that our midfield would be stronger if we'd kept him on?

Given a fully fit team how many games would Tugay have played this season?

Diouf, Emerton, Grella, Reid, Dunn, Andrews, N Zonzi, MGP, Van Heerden, Doran, Hoillett, Salgado(if reports are true)

The average age probably isn't that bad from that lot either. If 2 or 3 injured players didn't recover or get injured again then maybe he would have been an option but it is £10-20k that is better spent on brining N Zonzi through IMO.

I'm not against Allardyce. Do you dispute that our midfield would be stronger if we'd kept him on?

Would you keep him next year as well T4E - and the next, and the next?

If we want to beat Sam, there's better sticks than this to thrash around.

As mentioned by many other posters - Tugay was getting past it. Granted he still had more skill in his little toe than the likes of Andrews - he was too easily closed down to make him effective. Also bear in mind the type of football we now play - and you have to say our midfield would have been weaker with Tugay in. I am not talking skill - but effective play.

Personally I am pleased he retired - I didn't want him to go on - a shadow of his former self. At least this way we can remember one of the best midfield players to pull on the blue and white halves in modern times.

I am interested to see where Tugay will end up as a coach - would love to see him at Brockhall showing the youngsters how to play football. He possibly lacks communication skills to be a top manager - but has so much experience and skill to pass on as a coach.

Archived