• Slightly Stronger
    • The Same
    • Slightly Weaker
    • Much Weaker
    • Grooby should have been sold

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tugay was class in bursts, but does no one remember his invisible friend? He was a worse passer than Andrews for good stretches.

I remember looking for his invisible friend in bemusement about 8 times in 90 mins in a match against leeds at elland road in 2003-2004. However i also remember being at st andrews when he scored a cracker later that season...he never really looked back since that.

Teams only tend to put in offers for players they believe are interested in coming and within their financial range. Bent, Crouch, and countless other players will have been sounded out and not been economically viable for our club. Whether you like it or not we have to be very tight with money and Sam has a proven track record of being able to wheel and deal. He's not going to get it right all time, but no manager does.

We created enough chances in the 1st 3 games. The problem lies deeper than just needing a creative midfielder. If Dunny stays fit, and Pedersen can get goals again then we wouldnt need to sign a midfielder. Big problem it seems is up front, where are goal shy.

We created enough chances in the 1st 3 games. The problem lies deeper than just needing a creative midfielder. If Dunny stays fit, and Pedersen can get goals again then we wouldnt need to sign a midfielder. Big problem it seems is up front, where are goal shy.

I feel the problem is more like the lack of pace around the pitch both in thought and foot. When Rovers attack it takes an eternity allowing the opponents time to organise themselves. Once teams are organised it is difficult to break down thus the need for a playmaker such as Tugay.

We have though created some chances granted and hopefully once a win is obtained the forwards will relax and the goals will come.

Nonsense. Who would allow Tugay to coach kids? He'd either turn up full of the joys of spring after a good night on the tables or black dog would be with him and half of em would get a clip around the ear for taking 2 touches to control a ball. Rumour has it that his idea of training nowadays is to do 5 mins of tap ups and then 10 mins for a fag.

Oh and the extraordinary talent that Tugay has got is his and his alone. His first touch, speed of thought and passing ability simply cannot be coached into anybody else whether young or old.

I'd like to think that since tugay was still playing in the premier league at 39, that perhaps his fitness was a little better than you suggest. I don't see many footballers playing till that age, let alone in our league and contributing.

Thats very interesting theno, can I ask where you got the information from that people are just born and there's no nurture or development of their skills. Of course it can be passed on.

Tugay is a legend, one of the best Rovers have had in midfield. Sadly his passing abilty and general skills are his alone and cannot be taught. Sadly he is not a role model for fitness and health which is possible why he is not currrently coaching. It is possible he could have played a few games a season for Rovers - 60 minutes here and there. But I would hate to witness his demise on the football pitch and people turn against him when he makes a mistake here and there - because as time goes on his skills would diminish. The young players would eventuall make him look a fool - sorry I would hate to witness that.

Should there be a role for Tugay at Rovers? Undoubtable yes. He could look out for other turkish players to come to Rovers - he could help other players from outside the uk to settle in at Rovers. he could be a very good ambassador for Rovers. But on the football pitch, sadly for his sake it is time to move on.

So any footballer should not go into coaching because their skills will dimiish and the kids will laugh at them??

39 year old playing in the premiership and he's not fit???? I think it suggests the complete opposite.

Tugay like Sheringham could have been used as a Cameo last 10-20 of games when the opposition is tiring and he can be more effective. The effect he had on the crowd when coming on should also not be dismissed. I know he couldn't play a full role but he could have played some part.

Given his previous contract was pay as you play what real harm would it have done??

And here was me thinking that Sam was renowned for getting a little bit more out of his older players, if teddy could do it so could Tugay.

This is such a stupid argument. How long were we meant to keep Tugay on for? Until we found a replacement? until he broke down because of an injury or until he wasnt good enough to get into the squad? He had to leave at some stage and i, along with the majority id like to think, believe he left at the right time. People who say we should have kept him are purely saying that because we didnt find a Tugay replacement, of which there are maybe a handful around Europe. They seem to forget that he was knocking 40, could have only played a half a dozen games and would have taken up the space of some up and coming youngster who could have gotten valuable experience. You cant pick someone purely because of sentiment, which is the only reason for why he'd have stayed.

Quite frankly, if Allardyce had kept him on im pretty confident the response from this messageboard would be that it was a desperate to rely on someone who was clearly past his best to still play in our team.

Given his previous contract was pay as you play what real harm would it have done??

It is never 100% pay as you play though, especially with Tugay there would have been a decent basic salary attached.

As I said before we have a decent midfield if they are all fit, but that is massive if.

Well we cannot be too upset with the transfer dealings if 50% of the window debate is about Tugay.

To be honest, I would have kept him another year but then I'm not paid £2m a year to upset people.

I see about 22% of the fans think we are weaker- I am in the slighter stronger camp but largely because of the four returning from injury.

Given a fully fit team how many games would Tugay have played this season?

Diouf, Emerton, Grella, Reid, Dunn, Andrews, N Zonzi, MGP, Van Heerden, Doran, Hoillett, Salgado(if reports are true)

Which reports are these?

I assume you're referring to half-hearted speculation with no basis in fact whatsoever? The stuff spouted by Allardyce's minions to justify the signing of an incredibly well-paid third right-back when we have the weakest midfield in the Premier League?

The fact Salgado played full-back with the reserves and in a behind-closed-doors match suggests he won't be our midfield saviour. Unless Allardyce is even more inept than I give him credit for.

P.S. Elrio Van Heerden will be a cataclismic failure. Watch this space.

Which reports are these?

when we have the weakest midfield in the Premier League?

Reports from our resident journo. It was merely an addition to quite a long list anyway.

Our midfield may not be amongst the best but it is a bit better than you give it credit for. By far our weakest area but MGP, Diouf, Emerton and Dunn all provide threats on goal and Grella isn't bad at breaking up play dispite the endless stick he gets on here for not being Tugay when it comes to passing.

That is a bold statement you make about a player that cost as much as a carrier bag at Tescos. Why don't you stick your neck out and say that Keith Treacy will never return to Ewood :rolleyes: or that Steven Reid won't get a new contract. Have you seen Van Heerden play? At least give the guy a chance, or is that to much to ask?

Reports from our resident journo.

Nicko's "reports" were purely his own speculation. I guess he, like the rest of us, was just trying to make sense of Allardyce's signings.

Have you seen Van Heerden play? At least give the guy a chance, or is that to much to ask?

I've seen plenty of Van Heerden with South Africa, and a few friends of mine who know there football have seen him with Brugges as well. There couldn't be a player less suited to the Premier League - he's very much like Villanueva only with much less skill. My point about him was a prediction, nothing more. Time will tell if I'm right.

Thats very interesting theno, can I ask where you got the information from that people are just born and there's no nurture or development of their skills. Of course it can be passed on.

Really? Well go and get him to pass his ability onto you. If you are between 20-40 it should be worth about 40k pw for you. As for me i'm off to Spain to get Ronaldo to pass his skills on to me.

Time will tell whether I am right or wrong.

I've edited it for you spensey as you seem unable to grasp the concept.

Which reports are these?

I assume you're referring to half-hearted speculation with no basis in fact whatsoever? The stuff spouted by Allardyce's minions to justify the signing of an incredibly well-paid third right-back when we have the weakest midfield in the Premier League?

The fact Salgado played full-back with the reserves and in a behind-closed-doors match suggests he won't be our midfield saviour. Unless Allardyce is even more inept than I give him credit for.

You think that Burnley, Wolves and Birmingham (to begin with) have a better midfield than Rovers. Before you open your mouth without thinking (again) I suggest you think about the number of PL games/international caps the following have: MGP, EHD, Emerton, Reid, Dunn and Grella, all of whom if fit would walk into the three clubs above as well as at least another 6 teams in the league.

Finally define "cataclismic failure", your expectations seem to be that he needs to be top scorer in the PL, for me if he plays reasonably well in more than 10 games this season he will have been a success.

I've seen plenty of Van Heerden with South Africa

Van Heerden has hardly played for South Africa lately, as he has been behind the likes of Teko Modise, Steven Pienaar and Simphiwe Tshabalala,so you talking rubbish. He is not a bad player, as he showed in the Confed cup against Spain. He has pace and skill, and can cross a ball. He is just a bit small and a bit light weight.

Van Heerden has hardly played for South Africa lately, as he has been behind the likes of Teko Modise, Steven Pienaar and Simphiwe Tshabalala,so you talking rubbish. He is not a bad player, as he showed in the Confed cup against Spain. He has pace and skill, and can cross a ball. He is just a bit small and a bit light weight.

The Confederations Cup is hardly ancient history, is it?

Van Heerden isn't even moderately capable of playing in this league. He was a poorly-thought-out, opportunistic, knee-jerk signing which will ultimately contribute nothing to Blackburn Rovers.

The Confederations Cup is hardly ancient history, is it?

Van Heerden isn't even moderately capable of playing in this league. He was a poorly-thought-out, opportunistic, knee-jerk signing which will ultimately contribute nothing to Blackburn Rovers.

Its funny you say that, but Schevchenko and Pizzaro, who came with a bigger reputation failed miserably in the EPL. There were others with bigger reputations, who flopped. Van Heerden cost nothing, and hasnt played a competitive game, against quality opposition, yet you claim he will be a failure. Who did you expect us to sign for free? Gutti, or Xavi? Van Heerden will be a useful squad player, and good back up to Dunn, Pedersen, Diouf and Emerton

People, just ignore him. He's been using any excuse to slam Allardyce for the past 3 months, the lastest being that Van Heerden was a pointless purchase. Obviously no one can form any conclusive argument because he hasnt played yet, so its a safe way of provoking a reaction without having to substantiate any kind of point. He'll avoid talking about how effective Givet has been or whether Nzonzi is a better player than Mokoena or how Allardyce kept us in the division. Instead of saying that Salgado is a decent capture, he'll just focus on that we already have rb in Jacobsen so he was also a useless signing etc etc etc... Its one way traffic unfortuately.

Its funny you say that, but Schevchenko and Pizzaro, who came with a bigger reputation failed miserably in the EPL. There were others with bigger reputations, who flopped. Van Heerden cost nothing, and hasnt played a competitive game, against quality opposition, yet you claim he will be a failure. Who did you expect us to sign for free? Gutti, or Xavi? Van Heerden will be a useful squad player, and good back up to Dunn, Pedersen, Diouf and Emerton

There's no point signing a "squad player" who "won't be ready" for half the season.

Elrio Van Heerden is 26. He's not some young prodigy who needs time to bulk up. I predict he will be a complete and utter failure as from what I've seen that seems highly likely. Time will tell.

There's no point signing a "squad player" who "won't be ready" for half the season.

Elrio Van Heerden is 26. He's not some young prodigy who needs time to bulk up. I predict he will be a complete and utter failure as from what I've seen that seems highly likely. Time will tell.

We have a squad of x amount of players, some wont play. You obviously dont know the meaning of squad. Your whole focus is on us signing a player, who will be an instant success and who should get into the starting lineup immediately. Please for the love of all the sane people, please give it a rest. Go to the movies or something a bit, and calm down.

We have a squad of x amount of players, some wont play. You obviously dont know the meaning of squad. Your whole focus is on us signing a player, who will be an instant success and who should get into the starting lineup immediately. Please for the love of all the sane people, please give it a rest. Go to the movies or something a bit, and calm down.

:lol:I should calm down??

It would seem you're the one getting wound up over someone having an opinion contrary to their own! I fully understand the meaning of squad - and players like Elrio Van Heerden shouldn't be anywhere near it. I don't want to see poor players taking up space at Blackburn Rovers, and he is in that category.

And magicalmortensleftpeg - What's bugging you is that I'm right. Allardyce IS making a total hash of his job.

I predict he will be a complete and utter failure as from what I've seen that seems highly likely. Time will tell.

Well you can't really lose with that prediction. If he was a world beater he would have been picked up by someone by now.

As a free transfer I think 1 goal or 1 assist will be enough to call him a success. It is afterall 1 more than Maceo Rigters.

In a squad you have to have less able players, if we had high class players on our bench they wouldn't be there very long.

Time has already told that Sam is a good manager capable of taking us up the table and before you go on about dodgy signings as I said in a previous topic all managers make bad signings.

Wow. Really putting your neck on the line there, aren't you?

You should really take your personal prejudices against Sam Allardyce elsewhere, because they don't contribute anything to this forum. There are some members here who question Sam's decisions in a balanced, rational manner. The only thing you do is take any opportunity to snipe away at his every move. As someone else said, I don't hear anything about the acquisition of Givet or the promising N'Zonzi. At least judge the players that have actually PLAYED before you start condemning Sam's foray into the transfer market.

Exactly. He is not beyond reproach, and right now letting Tugay leave looks to be up there with Sam's very worst decisions.

Absolute garbage.He is not beyond reproach eg I didn't think much of his selections for the West Ham game and said so. `no-one is giving him unconditional support that i've read. But slagging him off on this one is ridiculous.

Archived