454 members have voted

1. 1. The Squad is......

• Much Stronger
    • Slightly Stronger
    • The Same
    • Slightly Weaker
    • Much Weaker
    • Grooby should have been sold

The Confederations Cup is hardly ancient history, is it?

Van Heerden isn't even moderately capable of playing in this league. He was a poorly-thought-out, opportunistic, knee-jerk signing which will ultimately contribute nothing to Blackburn Rovers.

If you are right spencey7, it wont really affect Rovers.

Van Heerden goes into the bracket of being given a chance, if it works out great, if it doesnt theres nothing lost the first team will NOT BE AFFECTED at all.

The opportunity is there for Van Heerden to grasp, its up to him to play and make his mark, its his big opportunity in life.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Van Heerden isn't even moderately capable of playing in this league. He was a poorly-thought-out, opportunistic, knee-jerk signing which will ultimately contribute nothing to Blackburn Rovers.

His performance at Gillingham was a decent contribution. Already he has contributed more to the club than your constant stream of snide remarks about the manager. Indeed, Sam has already made a huge contribution to this club in keeping it in the Premier League after the previous manager took us to the bottom of the League.

:lol:I should calm down??

It would seem you're the one getting wound up over someone having an opinion contrary to their own! I fully understand the meaning of squad - and players like Elrio Van Heerden shouldn't be anywhere near it. I don't want to see poor players taking up space at Blackburn Rovers, and he is in that category.

And magicalmortensleftpeg - What's bugging you is that I'm right. Allardyce IS making a total hash of his job.

What about Reid who is constantly injured, or Rigters who has been a disaster. Treacy has been useless, and as much as i like Andrews, he aint the best. However seeing as they not Allardyce signings, its okay for them to be part of the squad, and taking up space? You clearly do not know what you talking about.

• Backroom

Unless Van Heerden breaks our best players legs in training then indecently assualts Ronnie Clayton I can't see how he can be a cataclismic failure, at worst he doesn't make the grade its not like we spent our entire budget on him is it?

Really it juat smacks of using anything you can to have a go at Sam here.

Signing a bad player can have bigger ramifications than first appears.

For example. Elrio was preferred in a recent Gills match. If he had not signed, perhaps Aaron Doran would've played or Alan Judge kept onboard and given a chance. If they did well, in Hoilett-esque fashion, their confidence would've been boosted and their development enhanced. On the basis of that promising performance, Allardyce might've been tempted to give them a few more chances. Development further enhanced. Youth player closer to making an impact with the first team.

I know this is all hypothetical but it is, imo, a valid reason to be wary of signing squad players. I know we're talking different finances here - but Wenger loathes to bring in experienced squad players for exactly the reason that I am suggesting. Youth players at Prem clubs live and die by arbitrary chances given to them by freak injury crises. With managers fearful of letting inexperience loose, injury crises are the oxygen and hope to many younger players. The more squad players are signed, the less chances younger players are likely to get (unless they're exceptional).

It's a compromise between assembling a suitable squad and going over the top with pointless demimonde. I hope that Elrio will be better than that.

For example. Elrio was preferred in a recent Gills match. If he had not signed, perhaps Aaron Doran would've played or Alan Judge kept onboard and given a chance. If they did well, in Hoilett-esque fashion, their confidence would've been boosted and their development enhanced. On the basis of that promising performance, Allardyce might've been tempted to give them a few more chances. Development further enhanced. Youth player closer to making an impact with the first team.

I know this is all hypothetical but it is, imo, a valid reason to be wary of signing squad players. I know we're talking different finances here - but Wenger loathes to bring in experienced squad players for exactly the reason that I am suggesting. Youth players at Prem clubs live and die by arbitrary chances given to them by freak injury crises. With managers fearful of letting inexperience loose, injury crises are the oxygen and hope to many younger players. The more squad players are signed, the less chances younger players are likely to get (unless they're exceptional).

It's a compromise between assembling a suitable squad and going over the top with pointless demimonde. I hope that Elrio will be better than that.

If your youth players are at a level that Wenger's then what you are saying is correct. But I suspect that Sam does not rate our kids, with the exception of Hoilett, as ready for premiership.

Last season Olsson struggled at left back, Treacey on the left wing but because there was no one else in the squad both were persisted with when it would of benefited both to be removed from the firing squad.

Out of this season's signings I suspect that Elrio is the only squad player with the addition of one of the three right backs we have signed. It was last season's manager who seemed intent on signing squad players.

Really? Well go and get him to pass his ability onto you. If you are between 20-40 it should be worth about 40k pw for you. As for me i'm off to Spain to get Ronaldo to pass his skills on to me.

Well lets hope the weather is good for you.

This debate has been done on here before I believe. From what I've read people can develop new skills and enhance others through effective coaching and guidance at the right ages. I'm sure its a bit of both in reality.

Unfortunatly I think its probabaly to late for either of us Theno.

I have read thoroughly what Spency writes and have considered his views. Now mate, not being one to avoid any sort of controversey myself, I have to say that without any issues whatsoever, THOU IS TALKING UTTER TRIPE.

If you think Mr Allardyce is making a hash of his job, then answer this mate -

How the hell are we still in the Premier League ?

How have we become a club where, in this current state of financial constraints, carry NO DEBTS ?

Spency, you have your views, your entitled to them but pleae let common sense prevail. The season is new and we have played 3 games. Alright, it wasnt pretty at home to Wham but we took a point and had half of our usual first teamers out injured. It may not be a bad result after all is said and done.

The time, and its a correct times, to criticise is mid November. Thats after we have played the big clubs as wellas a mixture of smaller clubs and have continued our ventures in the Carling Cup. If we are stranded then, then yes make your points about the managers lack of ability but until then BACK YOUR TRUCK UP !

It's a funny board on here at the moment. While I'm certainly not anti Sam, he's the best available in our current circumstances, I was worried about the forwards. We had one untested in England, one borrowed who might go back, one constantly overweight and interested in leaving and one who couldn't hit a barn door with a Katushka Rocket Launcher.

Easy to guess which is which!

Then I got slaughtered by someone arguing that Rovers would never sign a deal that let Di Santo go back to Chelsea - but it could be happening.

Ones still overweight,

Ones still untested

Ones actually got worse and couldn't hit a large planet with a ball if he was stood on it.

But what were our options other than to keep Derbs. RSC was off, no one else fell into our price/wage structure.

Even I could fall into a number of camps on here depending on the day of the week!

It's a funny board on here at the moment. While I'm certainly not anti Sam, he's the best available in our current circumstances, I was worried about the forwards. We had one untested in England, one borrowed who might go back, one constantly overweight and interested in leaving and one who couldn't hit a barn door with a Katushka Rocket Launcher.

Easy to guess which is which!

Then I got slaughtered by someone arguing that Rovers would never sign a deal that let Di Santo go back to Chelsea - but it could be happening.

Ones still overweight,

Ones still untested

Ones actually got worse and couldn't hit a large planet with a ball if he was stood on it.

But what were our options other than to keep Derbs. RSC was off, no one else fell into our price/wage structure.

Even I could fall into a number of camps on here depending on the day of the week!

Wisest move is to do what you are doing and keep an open mind prof.

Has judgement already been passed on the academy lads, that they arent good enough, if so, it makes sense to import and try some new recruits.

Has anyone seen in the NOW that we tried to sign Ronaldo from Corinthians this is according to his agent, Spurs were also interested!

Yup. Nicko mentioned it a couple of days go. I think someone said we might have a look again in Jan. It would be hilarious if it came off! Nice one to add to Ossie Ardiles fading star.

ps. Ardiles was before my time. Was he actually any good for us?

pps. Just Wikied him and he only played 5 games!? Good games?

Yup. Nicko mentioned it a couple of days go. I think someone said we might have a look again in Jan. It would be hilarious if it came off! Nice one to add to Ossie Ardiles fading star.

ps. Ardiles was before my time. Was he actually any good for us?

pps. Just Wikied him and he only played 5 games!? Good games?

Not really. Nicky Marker crippled him in his first game at Plymouth (I think we got stuffed three nil) and he didn't feature much at all after that.

Spencey had a wet dream about Sam, so now he's angry because he's questioning his sexuality as a result. Poor guy. You'd almost feel sorry for him, if he wasn't such a ######.

The Prof - I had the same worries because our strikers don't look too promising at the moment. I was expecting Kalinic and Di Santo to do well, but they've both had very slow starts. To be completely honest, in the last 3 games that's all we've lacked. Someone to actually STRIKE a ball. We'll see what happens after a 2 week break at the Wolves game!

The Prof - I had the same worries because our strikers don't look too promising at the moment. I was expecting Kalinic and Di Santo to do well, but they've both had very slow starts. To be completely honest, in the last 3 games that's all we've lacked. Someone to actually STRIKE a ball. We'll see what happens after a 2 week break at the Wolves game!

Yup. This is absolutely key. We have five strikers:

McCarthy, Di Santo, Roberts, Kalinic, Hoilett. All of them are, with exception of Roberts, very technically talented. We have a nice mixture of stregth, pace finishing ability and experience.

However all of this is useless unless we get a combination going who are going to score goals. They also need to be capable of creating their own chances because, Dunn and maybe Diouf aside, we have no one who is going to fashion things for them.

Our whole season depends on finding that dangerous partnership. Our defence is so solid that if we can find 40 goals between those five we will be top half. But equally we could end up in the relegation dogfight if we don't step up.

Starting at Wolves someone needs to get one, ideally two. Kalinic would be ideal, but really it doesn't matter. If it works I am really optimistic, if it doesn't then there will be trouble. Probably involving Samba playing striker again....

Boudewijn "Bolo" Zenden is not going to Portsmouth after all. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...ge-demands.html

And Zurab has supposedly been loaned to Boro.

And JW says the books are balanced, with the Warnock monies covering the shortfall.

Is the stage set for Sam to bring in a loan player, such as Zenden (whom we've been liked to before) or another free agent?

Archived