BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

philipl

By all accounts that was an incredibly impressive debut by the youngster against Forest. He was up against a lot of pace and playing in a team that the word "scratch" is probably the most apt. Salgado and Olsson on recent form were hardly going to offer much protection from the flanks and Nelsen has been a bit wobbly yet Jones seems to have had a significant role for the full 90 minutes in maintaining the clean sheet.

17 year olds do make debuts in Premier League teams but very rarely at centre back.

I can now understand the football rationale for letting Zurab go out on loan.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By all accounts that was an incredibly impressive debut by the youngster against Forest. He was up against a lot of pace and playing in a team that the word "scratch" is probably the most apt. Salgado and Olsson on recent form were hardly going to offer much protection from the flanks and Nelsen has been a bit wobbly yet Jones seems to have had a significant role for the full 90 minutes in maintaining the clean sheet.

17 year olds do make debuts in Premier League teams but very rarely at centre back.

I can now understand the football rationale for letting Zurab go out on loan.

Still very much early days, but it looks very promising for Phil. No matter that it was Forest, when you watched Salgado being opened up so easily and then you watch a 17 year old so cool and composed then you have to sit up and take note. I think Sam will no doubt give him the league cup to impress some more, and a place on the bench against Villa.

Starting ahead of Nelsen or Samba? Come on.

But I think he can be pushed to the first team squad.

Lets see if Sam sticks to his words and shakes the team around. I would expect Roberts, MGP and Andrews to be under risk and I hope its not just for one match irrespective of the result.

Like i said, its very much early days. Against a team like Villa, he might be ripped apart and it could damage the lads confidence. He doesnt need that sort of thing to happen, at this early stage in his career. Sam will give him all the time he needs, but that will happen over period of time. There is no rush, unless we end up with injuries to more defenders.

The only thing I will say is that Nelsen was poor last night and from what I heard quite poor against Everton. Not saying he should or will be dropped but thats a situation to watch.

Jones was very solid last night and covered for Nelsen a couple of times. Definately one to watch. Very good at winning headers and spotting where players will pass the ball.

Letting Zurab go made sense because we have Gunning and Jones who are very promising defenders (capable of playing full back too).

I know I've said this a few times before (!) but it's high time that some of the passengers in our team (eg Gamst, Andrews, Diouf (to an extent), Emerton the Right Winger) were shoved aside and the likes of Hoilett, Doran, Olsson the Left winger a go.

Obviously, fielding young defenders is much riskier that other positions because of the responsibility it entails - but if Jones has the maturity, then maybe he can be more involved in the new future.

We've got to keep the highly/over-paid "experienced" players on their toes.

The thing I like about Jones is that unlike Jay McEveley, he has proven himself properly in the reserves as a good centre back and right back. McEveley had, as far as I remember, hardly played many reserve games before his Beckham-bashing sensationalist debut and was never really suitable for left back because of his cumbersome frame. (He got skinned by Gary Neville for Scholes' (?) goal in the return leg and the alarm bells should have been ringing then).

I haven't seen him play yet, but judging by the comments, I cannot see what we can possibly be risking by starting him at CB if Givet is injured.

We would risk destroying his confidence and setting him back a good six months if Carew/Heskey's strength or Agbonlahor's pace makes an idiot out of him.

But I think he can be pushed to the first team squad.

Lets see if Sam sticks to his words and shakes the team around. I would expect Roberts, MGP and Andrews to be under risk and I hope its not just for one match irrespective of the result.

Nelsen. I'm sorry, but the man is finished. The only reason we keep playing him is in the hopes he somehow regains his form from 2 years ago, but the injuries have been too much unfortunately.

Sam went well overboard in his praise of Jones. He played well, against a fairly toothless Forest forward line.

Long way to go.

Jones had a good game and Sam was highlighting that. Where's the problem? :rolleyes:

Is it too soon to throw Jones into the PL? Hmmm. If this lad is going to make it, he needs the mental fortitude to succeed. I don't think young players should be wrapped in cotton wool too much. If they have the ability and the mindset, then their maturity will show on the pitch regardless of who they play. He could have just the energy and enthusiasm needed against Villa's sprightly attack. And who's willing to bet Samba & Nelsen won't get the run around?

For that level forest have a very good foward line.

They may well have, but they weren't very good last night.

Jones had a good game and Sam was highlighting that. Where's the problem? :rolleyes:

Nothing - but he's a 17 year old lad who's just made his first team debut. We need to keep his feet on the ground.

• 6 months later...

Time to bring this back up.

Phil Jones looks a real talent to me [and everyone else, I know :)]. It isn't unknown for 18 year old centre backs to make the grade - Faz to start with - but this lad has a lot going for him even now. For starters he's an excellent header of the ball. He's a better header than Samba and miles better than Tiny was. The distance he gets is amazing. His positional sense to date has been good as well. He seems to cover the ground well enough and I can't see any weakness at the moment.

The only thing is, that to judge a player properly, you need to watch him away from home - and although he was at the turf yesterday, he wasn't really tested by players with outstanding quality. Let's see how he does against the top sides at their own grounds. If he can play there, he can play anywhere.

Anyone?

Archived