BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

philipl

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lost all respect for him when he said Keith Andrews is an "experienced professional".

LOL!

Just take it that he means that Andrews gets paid to be a footballer and has done for a number of years?

Phil Jones - Q&A's

A Rovers fan - hopefully he sticks with us then!!

He comes across really, really well if you ask me- at eighteen I would almost guess that someone helped him formulate the answers.

I won't though- so well done, Phil Jones.

As for his performances on the pitch - he's certainly becoming a regular, and as long as his body can handle it, I can't see how anyone could take his place.

At the moment he looks the best young Centre Half we have had since Mike England.

Since Mike is my all-time favourite Rovers Player..then I am already very impressed.

But lets wait til the end of next season to really judge.

And Mike England left us in 1966 when we got relegated from the top Division ! 2016 ?? 50 years on..

At the moment he looks the best young Centre Half we have had since Mike England.

Since Mike is my all-time favourite Rovers Player..then I am already very impressed.

And Mike England left us in 1966 when we got relegated from the top Division ! 2016 ?? 50 years on..

If he better's Mike's appearances then goes for serious money I'd be happy with that.

He's never gonna emulate Ronnie Clayton. (one club)

Does anyone think young Jonesy could be a suprise call up for the World Cup squad? I know people will probable say hes too young and not experienced enough, but it could really be a fantastic thing for him! Walcott went to the last ones and he hadnt even played as many games a Jones.

Does anyone think young Jonesy could be a suprise call up for the World Cup squad? I know people will probable say hes too young and not experienced enough, but it could really be a fantastic thing for him! Walcott went to the last ones and he hadnt even played as many games a Jones.

I can't see that happening, though an England under 21 call up is pretty realistic.

Cant see it!

Terry, Ferdinand, Lescott, Upson to name 4......hardly short of centre backs at the moment. IF Capello stuck to his word and honestly picked the 'form' players then maybe he would get a call up to a friendly squad....but highly unlikely as he hasnt done it with Robbo!

Reality check here please. He is still very unknown outside Ewood and that´s a great thing. Publicity is not best thing at all for a young lad. He will be international defender no doubt but let´s not expect too much too soon. Just hope he will play the rest of games like this and will sign atleast four-year contract soon. We all seem to be very excited about the defence. Jones&Salgado, stars of two different generations are playing brilliant football for us. And Big Chris is top5 CD at the moment. Jones has something do with Samba´s recent form.

Reality check here please. He is still very unknown outside Ewood and that´s a great thing.

MOTD feature about him after the United game & MOTM on ESPN.

MOTM against Chelsea on TV too! Not quite sure he is as unknown as you think!!

Cant see it!

Terry, Ferdinand, Lescott, Upson to name 4

Brown, Dawson, Jagielka, Shawcross, Cahill...there are many names in front of Jones. The Birmingham duo are more deserving too. My money would be on Sol Campbell for the OMFG!!!! selection if there was one.

Not trying to be negative about Jones, it's just far too early and he plays in a position where experience counts for a LOT, unlike Walcott. In four years time he's got be a strong possibility though, along with Smalling and Rodwell.

England had a far better all round game, don't you think mhead?

I can see why he's been compared in style to John Terry though. He's basically a fully committed, they shall not pass, stopper. He doesn't seem to have the finesse to his game yet. He isn't a Rio Ferdinand or Alan Hansen, who can stroll through a game exuding class. He hasn't shown the passing side of his game yet either and I doubt he will. There's nowt wrong with another John Terry though, a long as he keeps the imitations to the football side of things. :)

Saw the lad in Tesco in Leyland later on after the match on Sunday....he seems to like Tesco ready made butties (yuk!).

He lives near my Mum close to Worden Park.

It is nice to see he is a Rovers fan rather than the usual North Enders or Manures that Leyland tends to spew up, excepting of course: Leftwinger, Den, 1864, Baz etc

Saw the lad in Tesco in Leyland later on after the match on Sunday....he seems to like Tesco ready made butties (yuk!).

He lives near my Mum close to Worden Park.

It is nice to see he is a Rovers fan rather than the usual North Enders or Manures that Leyland tends to spew up, excepting of course: Leftwinger, Den, 1864, Baz etc

One thing about this board, we go through the complete range of emotions! So will he go to the World cup or will he be sold to a "Big Club" after playing only half a dozen games? my view?---neither.

I'm a massive fan of Jones but I think he was pretty wobbly today against Everton.

Saha's trickery game him a lot of problems and he wasn't as commanding in his reading of the game as he has been in recent weeks.

I'm sure this was mainly due to him playing alongside a central defensive partner who was all over the place and responsible for making a number of mistakes!

I guess it's all just part of Jones's footballing education, but the sooner Samba returns to fitness the better.

• Backroom

Got to agree Muddboy I don't think he looked as assured today and hoofs it out sometimes when unrequired.

He's still really young obviously and will have bad days though it's part and parcel of his education as you say

I'm a massive fan of Jones but I think he was pretty wobbly today against Everton.

Saha's trickery game him a lot of problems and he wasn't as commanding in his reading of the game as he has been in recent weeks.

I'm sure this was mainly due to him playing alongside a central defensive partner who was all over the place and responsible for making a number of mistakes!

I guess it's all just part of Jones's footballing education, but the sooner Samba returns to fitness the better.

Nelsen and Jones played well together last week. The total opposite against Everton, maybe the missing link was Grella?

Also the games Samba and Jones have played together and kept clean sheets in, Keith Andrews didn't play ;)

I thought young jones did just fine, Saha usually notches against us, today he didn't mmmm. I wonder just how much some people expect. Lemme see, today Andrews plays and we look lost again, Andrews steps off the pitch and we have a good go. Prolly coincidence, Although we lost I thought second half was most entertaining.

I didnt think Jones was bad actually. He was good but not as commanding and that was largely because Everton unlike most of our recent opposition play on the ground quite a bit and are more tricky. I dont think Nelsen helped Jones yesterday that much, or maybe I am being a bit harsh.

This is the first game Jones has played in where midfield offered no protection to the defense. He was less assured than normal but it would have been good for the lad to have played in a game like this. In the circumstances he did pretty well but the absence of Samba was keenly felt.

Archived