BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

philipl

Time to bring this back up.

Phil Jones looks a real talent to me [and everyone else, I know :)]. It isn't unknown for 18 year old centre backs to make the grade - Faz to start with - but this lad has a lot going for him even now. For starters he's an excellent header of the ball. He's a better header than Samba and miles better than Tiny was. The distance he gets is amazing. His positional sense to date has been good as well. He seems to cover the ground well enough and I can't see any weakness at the moment.

The only thing is, that to judge a player properly, you need to watch him away from home - and although he was at the turf yesterday, he wasn't really tested by players with outstanding quality. Let's see how he does against the top sides at their own grounds. If he can play there, he can play anywhere.

Anyone?

I was thinking yesterday that, unlike Tiny and Jay, he doesn't look in any way raw or 'has potential', he has looked the real deal.

I will be very disappointed if he is dropped for the last 6 games. Better to rest the Admiral for the world cup rather than risk him getting knackered, then let the 3 of them earn their spots next season.

Very exciting

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said it after the Forest cup game and again I say he is a great talent. He can read the game very well, good solid header of the ball, is quite nippy and makes some impressive tackles. I'm not saying he should now be our irst choice but it certainly makes things interesting. Sign him up to a long term deal please.

I will reserve judgement for a while, the lad has made massive strides and pushed on this year, it is a big ask to move from youth football up to Prem level, I havent really seen anyone run at him with pace yet, that will be the telling factor, if he can handle that, he will be fine and yes, away games are a good test.

Personally, I wouldnt have played him at Burnley as a mistake by the lad there could have set him back quite a bit, now the pressure is off the side, he can remain in the team and continue his football developement.

I will reserve judgement for a while, the lad has made massive strides and pushed on this year, it is a big ask to move from youth football up to Prem level, I havent really seen anyone run at him with pace yet, that will be the telling factor, if he can handle that, he will be fine and yes, away games are a good test.

Personally, I wouldnt have played him at Burnley as a mistake by the lad there could have set him back quite a bit, now the pressure is off the side, he can remain in the team and continue his football developement.

So do you not class Drogba and Anelka as having pace, not to mention strength, he did a great job on those two.

Leave Nelly on the bench send him to the WC then sell him in the summer, welcome to the new young, "vibrant" Rovers. Now where have I heard that before. ;)

I don't think I've been so optimistic about a youth team player coming into the first team.

Way back there was England, Newton and Pickering, all of whom oozed class.

Then John Byrom who scored goals aplenty, but we didn't appreciate it. Then there was Simon Garner and we did appreciate it because he followed a long spell of shot-shy footballers.

The only others I have felt so positive about were Duff and Dunn.

Those I had misgivings about when the first came into the first team were Wilcox, Damian Johnson and Tiny Taylor.

If PJ can keep up this form he will definitely make the grade. I'm excited.

So do you not class Drogba and Anelka as having pace, not to mention strength, he did a great job on those two.

Leave Nelly on the bench send him to the WC then sell him in the summer, welcome to the new young, "vibrant" Rovers. Now where have I heard that before. ;)

I did say run at him with pace, against Chelsea we didnt give opponents any grass behind the defence, of course Anelka and Drogba have pace but neither had a run at him, he has the makings of a top player but I can remember seeing Broomes years ago who people said was the best we had had in the youth team, so I will give some more time yet, at the moment though, he looks quality, reads the game well, good in the air, strong in the tackle and confident!

I don't think many people would have but already he has shown he isn't phased by playing against Chelsea or in a massive local derby. We don't have any idea how far that will increase his confidence and allow him to keep improving. It works both ways and now he has come through 3 games in which we have let in 2 goals and collected 7 points he will be much better for it.

Sam has a tough choice for Saturday. If he isn't over tired then he has to play him again, him and Samba look a better pairing than Samba with either of the other 2.

I don't think many people would have but already he has shown he isn't phased by playing against Chelsea or in a massive local derby. We don't have any idea how far that will increase his confidence and allow him to keep improving. It works both ways and now he has come through 3 games in which we have let in 2 goals and collected 7 points he will be much better for it.

Sam has a tough choice for Saturday. If he isn't over tired then he has to play him again, him and Samba look a better pairing than Samba with either of the other 2.

I genuinely agree, Sam and the backroom staff obviously see something in the lads make up and attitude for them to have kept him in the team for the Burnley Game, in my experience, the one thing you dont always get in young players of Jones age is consistency, looks like he bucks the trend like Rooney did, but I do take note of Everton who bring these players on each year, maybe our new academy guy (Ex Everton) has had some input here!!

Jones has continued to improve at a good rate since his debut, hopefully that will carry on.

Things like this always make me wonder. There's no exact science to blooding youngsters, but how many academy players would benefit from a decent run between now and the end of the season? How many in the past could have made a decent impact if we'd given them the chance. It's alright looking at the likes of Joe Garner, Eddie Nolan etc in their early 20s and saying they found their level below the PL, but who is the say they wouldnt have grabbed the chance if they were given it at 18 as Jones has been?

Thanks to the emergence of Jones we'll be able to get Zurab off the wage bill without spending on a replacement - even just one more graduation between now and the Summer could make a massive difference to our off-season trading. Question is, who?

Things like this always make me wonder. There's no exact science to blooding youngsters, but how many academy players would benefit from a decent run between now and the end of the season? How many in the past could have made a decent impact if we'd given them the chance. It's alright looking at the likes of Joe Garner, Eddie Nolan etc in their early 20s and saying they found their level below the PL, but who is the say they wouldnt have grabbed the chance if they were given it at 18 as Jones has been?

Thanks to the emergence of Jones we'll be able to get Zurab off the wage bill without spending on a replacement - even just one more graduation between now and the Summer could make a massive difference to our off-season trading. Question is, who?

Careful, rover6 - that's dangerous thinking.

Doran got a bit of a look-in this time last season but it looks like he has falled to the wayside somewhat due to injury and the emergence of Hoilett. I think with Junior we now need to look at giving him as much pitch time as possible because the things which he seems to be struggling with (decision-making, finishing under pressure, perhaps even confidence in general) are only going to get better in real match play.

Jones has continued to improve at a good rate since his debut, hopefully that will carry on.

Nolan, Tiny or even Broomes would have been taken first team place if they were good enough. Jones will be important piece of squad next season but he will have to fight for his starts. Nelsen won´t lose his regular place easily. What a great situation for Rovers. And sure Jones´ example helps new talents to breakthrough from Academy.

Finally, I t5hink we have a production line in the background that might just reap dividends for Rovers in the future.

PJ has shown how good he can be, consistency has to be his aim and games versus the likes of Pompy away and United at home will show if he is ready. Pompy will have the leggy piqionne whilst united will have one of either Rooney or berbatov up front, all contrasting styles. Good performances in those games will prove his worth to the team.

We have had some diamonds through the years and would appear to be one of them.

Sam talking about Jones after the match yesterday - saying how consistent he has been, thought his performance might have dipped a bit by now, reads the game so well and takes up good starting positions.

Sam talking about Jones after the match yesterday - saying how consistent he has been, thought his performance might have dipped a bit by now, reads the game so well and takes up good starting positions.

There was a moment when Utaka skinned him, leading to Givet's goal line heroics. But other than that, he had another assured performance.

Nolan, Tiny or even Broomes would have been taken first team place if they were good enough. Jones will be important piece of squad next season but he will have to fight for his starts. Nelsen won´t lose his regular place easily. What a great situation for Rovers. And sure Jones´ example helps new talents to breakthrough from Academy.

And also attracts young players to the academy!!

If Jones continues at this rate of improvement - does anyone else think that Samba and Jones could be our first choice pair next season ?

Samba seems to have grown also - the responsability of being the senior player seems to have done him good.

Strange thing is - many are saying we don't have anyone left to sell - Jones could eclipse some of our biggest transfers if he continues to develop.

Archived