BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

philipl

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it would have been good for the lad to have played in a game like this.

You're right. It will only better him and us in the future & he'll probably learn more from this game than the match against Man United which is probably the biggest positive to come out of yesterdays game.

Thought he had a very good game again, more than held his own. The aimless hoofs were because nobody came short to collect the ball and he had no other option.

Nelson was at fault for the first two goals. Jones got fouled for the third.

Didn't see that foul on Jones but an interesting take on it. Jones was (for once) just too far off his opponent Yakubu to react to his quick movement past him. It looked like he was going to pull or push Yakubu when he realised he couldn't get foot to ball but that would result in penalty and so didn't. Having let Yakubu go he would have been aware the danger could be averted by others flooding to the middle. Yakubu's short cross into the middle seemed to go through Nelsens legs as he attempted a lunging block and the others couldn't get there in front of Cahill.

Definitely Jones' mistake on this occasion but a rare one!!

What impressed me as much as anything was the way Jones dealt with the deliberate crude and calculated attempts by Saha to rough him up and soften him in the early aerial challenges where Saha "barged " into Jones a number of times. Marriner allowed this to happen but Jones maturely and manfully did not react and just got on with it.

I have not see any highlights of the game yet just what i saw at the game but from the top of my head i believe Yakubu turned Jones (is this a mistake?) at this point Nelsen came charging out missed the tackle and left his man (Cahill) in the middle unmarked and he taps in an easy goal to win the game.

I believe but will be corrected as aforementioned i have only seen it once at the game but the position Yakubu was in had Nelsen not made such a rash decision then Yakubu had very limited options and Cahill would have been marked.

I think Nelsen has one more season at the top level.

I think playing alongside Nelsen, who was responsible for the other two goals, will have unsettled him.

I think that too.

With Samba alongside he picks up the ball and runs with it and then passes it.

With Nelsen alongside he was lumping it anywhere like Nelsen does.

Samba is our best defender and we missed him badly - as did Jones!

Jones was 100% at fault for the third, but that's only his first mistake so it can be forgiven.

I think playing alongside Nelsen, who was responsible for the other two goals, will have unsettled him.

I haven't seen the telly angle on the third goal. But from my seat in DE - Jones headed the ball clear and was then clattered by Cahill - IMO this should have been a free kick. Still off balance Jones then rushed out to try to cut off Yakubu - pulling out at the last minute to avoid giving a penalty. He possibly could have done better - but IMO it was only because of the foul on him from Cahill. Another great spot by a referee from the West Midlands - or shoudl that have been West Wirral ?

I haven't seen the telly angle on the third goal. But from my seat in DE - Jones headed the ball clear and was then clattered by Cahill - IMO this should have been a free kick. Still off balance Jones then rushed out to try to cut off Yakubu - pulling out at the last minute to avoid giving a penalty. He possibly could have done better - but IMO it was only because of the foul on him from Cahill. Another great spot by a referee from the West Midlands - or shoudl that have been West Wirral ?

Having watched it again on Match of the Day, I thought Robinson has to take some responsibility for the 3rd goal. As previously commented by a couple of people, Robinson was static for the 2nd goal. He presumably tried to compensate by coming out beyond his goal in the build-up for the 3rd, but he came too far and was nowhere near the cross when it was made. If he had stayed on his line, provided he had kept the near post covered to stop Yakuba shooting,he would have made it more difficult for Cahill to score.

Jones was indeed clattered and rushed back into position, possibly too quickly, and was wrongfooted by Yakubu. W

During the match I had thought Jones had been killed for speed in the box, as against Portsmouth, but it was a different scenario.

Jones was a yard too far away from Yakubu but the Everton player showed beautiful skill to turn the ball past Jones with one touch, so credit to Yakubu in this case rather brickbats for the Rovers man.

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing our best players leave in recent years I’ve learned to not get too upset when our best players or young talents get linked to transfer moves. If he continues to impress and get even better then he will go eventually go, that’s just the financial situation we are in. Until that changes we will always find it hard to keep the players that we want.

If this interest is true then it's imperative we offer and try and get Phil to sign a new deal in order to give us some protection if the clubs are sniffing around.

ah the vultures are circling.

Jones is worth a fortune already, I don't see him going unless something silly comes in 10m+.

Considering his very public debut against Drogba & Anelka, followed up by his performance against United - im sure his value has rocketted. It will only be boosted further if we stop Arsenal on monday!

What did Smalling go for again, £9m or £11m?

still third choice centre back in my eyes, possibly fourth. really excited about him though. hope we keep hold of him but a fee of over £8million would be enough for me considering his potential and our financial position. no hurry to sell yet though. very early days and i'm sure he has no interest in leaving just yet, he has a lot to learn here.

No good selling our best young talent if most of the money recieved disappears into the now infamous black financial hole of Ewood,its happened too f'kin often! :angry2:

Sam Allardyce should state quite categorically that players only leave Ewood for real 'silly money' and that the profits of such deals are INVESTED fully or near as damn it back into his transfer kitty.

No good selling our best young talent if most of the money recieved disappears into the now infamous black financial hole of Ewood,its happened too f'kin often! :angry2:

you seem to ignore the fact that the reason the money disappears is because that money needs to be paid. it isn't simply lining the pockets of the board etc. if we don't pay for it by received transfer fees it'll have to get paid some other way, and how do you suggest we should do it? this is what keeps us from being a club like portsmouth.

Archived