BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

philipl

Sorry bruce I should have said senior pro's at club level.

Ok..still not sure I get it though. Are you saying you think they wanted to look at him playing with people beneath his level to see if he still shines? Not sure what that would tell them about him really.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok..still not sure I get it though. Are you saying you think they wanted to look at him playing with people beneath his level to see if he still shines? Not sure what that would tell them about him really.

Not really no, he has had a tremendous rise to first team football at rovers, he has many attributes now being compared to the best, Terry as an example.

Sometimes when players are put into a different environment they perform differently to what has expected, moving him into the U19's IMO is more akin to a step up at international level rather than a big leap into the U21's.

It just gives the England coaches a bit more time to access his capabilities with perhaps a little less pressure than in the U21's.

Having said that again IMO he would have made the jump comfortably, just as he had done in our first team, he will be captaining them very soon.

Edit, he was subbed on 65min today in the 4-1 win over Bosnia & H by Jacob Mellis, WHO! ;)

Ok I see what you're saying, but I don't agree. The full England team would be too much too soon (probably), but I don't see the U-21s as more pressure than the Premier League which he has already endured. I personally hope it's just down to the U-21s not playing yet (I don't keep track), or I'm a bit offended on the lad's behalf! Not that, at Blackburn, we don't already have a long tradition of our players being picked for a lower level for England for a long time than they deserve (Bentley, Sutton, and most of our very English 95 squad got ridiculously few caps).

According to our official site profile he has not appeared at International level before, maybe it's not an unfair step up wit that in mind..

I remember seeing on Wiki months ago that he had one U-19 cap.

I remember seeing on Wiki months ago that he had one U-19 cap.

The official site shows 1, wrongly I assumed that to be the one he played earlier in the week, he gained his first cap in Nov 09.

I'll leave this for now, we'll see when the U21's KO if he has done enough to earn that step up.

• 1 month later...

Club England? What exactly is that?

Anyway I'd far rather Jones stayed here with us than train with Noel Blake, I'd be all for it if they had some of the best coaches running the youth set-ups with England, but they don't.

However, there were comments made about most other nations who are doing well in the world cup playing far more tournament football and becoming used to the mentality required to go far in tournaments because their youngsters are always released for them. Personally I don't care much about international football anyway but if we are to ever start winning one of the non-football issues that has to be looked at is how we prepare our players to live in one anothers pockets for weeks on end and still stay focused on winning rather than whingeing.

Tell Brooking to druck off and tell the FA and the press and media the same and explain precisely why...... All the England set up at any level has ever done for BRFC is inject dissatisafaction into our players and turn em into wantaway wannabees.

I bet it's a right old nest of vipers with agents elbowing each other aside to fill young players heads will all manner of false promises. I'd wager 'arry' too will instruct his young uns to gob off about how great a club Spurs are. I've no doubt he'll hire em a Ferrari or a Veyron apiece to turn up at the training ground in driven by some page 3 model or other with a tight arse and tits jacked up under her chin. <_<

If anything will spoil the likes of Jones and other youngsters and thereby the future England team it's the greed and avarice of the Premier League itself!

Tell Brooking to druck off and tell the FA and the press and media the same and explain precisely why...... All the England set up at any level has ever done for BRFC is inject dissatisafaction into our players and turn em into wantaway wannabees.

I bet it's a right old nest of vipers with agents elbowing each other aside to fill young players heads will all manner of false promises. I'd wager 'arry' too will instruct his young uns to gob off about how great a club Spurs are. I've no doubt he'll hire em a Ferrari or a Veyron apiece to turn up at the training ground in driven by some page 3 model or other with a tight arse and tits jacked up under her chin. <_<

If anything will spoil the likes of Jones and other youngsters and thereby the future England team it's the greed and avarice of the Premier League itself!

Redknapp's not keen on his lot going either!

Id say us & Villa have every reason to reject their request - those 2 lads are both pushing for the 1st 11 and a full pre season with the squad may do them & us wonders later in the season.

Spurs have 4 young lads that dont even feature yet, so they have less reason to reject.

Jones & Delfounso are U-21 players, not crappy U19's.

Id say us & Villa have every reason to reject their request - those 2 lads are both pushing for the 1st 11 and a full pre season with the squad may do them & us wonders later in the season.

Spurs have 4 young lads that dont even feature yet, so they have less reason to reject.

Jones & Delfounso are U-21 players, not crappy U19's.

the real issue is first team appearances for your club. If you have a reasonable expectation of playing at least some games at the start of the season then going to an under 19 tournament is not really feasible because you need the same kind of preseason as the rest of the first team squad. If you're going to play reserve league and youth team games for your club then it doesn't really matter so much if you miss a part of preseason. It's a difficult situation for all concerned. I can understand why the FA want tem to go and I can understand totally why the clubs don't want to release them.

Redknapp said on Sky that Spurs will release their players.

Starting to get on my nerves that bloke. Every five minute he pops up on Sky with an opinion about something. Probably his U19s won't actually start too many games next season.

They should play for thier country when called at whatever level. It's not unreasonable and its about time country came first. The ENGLISH Premier league should be facilating the England team.

If Sam got a call from his country we all now what his answer would be, he has made that abundantly clear - why is it any different?

Let the lad go it will be far more enlightening for him than preseason training at Rovers. I would suspend the registration of any player not released for 6 months. If that leads to a PL / Euro breakaway then great, it will be the best thing that happens to English football - we get our game back.

They should play for thier country when called at whatever level. It's not unreasonable and its about time country came first. The ENGLISH Premier league should be facilating the England team.

If Sam got a call from his country we all now what his answer would be, he has made that abundantly clear - why is it any different?

Let the lad go it will be far more enlightening for him than preseason training at Rovers. I would suspend the registration of any player not released for 6 months. If that leads to a PL / Euro breakaway then great, it will be the best thing that happens to English football - we get our game back.

It's different because he's not going to play for us or for England. Jones would disrupt his preparation for the season to go to the tournament. Mnagers always say that a full preseason is vital if you are to hit the ground running, play well and stay fit as far as possible.I think if we were mid season or whenever we would release Jones but preseason is the wrong time to be playing anyway. It's not like the African Cup of Nations when we have to play then to fit in with their calendar. It's preseason in many of the major European leagues at the moment.

Starting to get on my nerves that bloke. Every five minute he pops up on Sky with an opinion about something. Probably his U19s won't actually start too many games next season.

Harry also said he might go for Forlan and Spurs have attempted to sign Joe Cole too - looking forward to the next update, in the life of Harry, tomorrow.

The ENGLISH Premier league should be facilating the England team.

I'd struggle to find a quote on the entire messageboard that I disagree more strongly with than this.

Archived