BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

philipl

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was Dennis Wise who once mentioned that John Terry used to hammer players in training if they weren't performing well enough despite only being a teenager at the time. We sometimes see Phil Jones not being afraid to dish out the orders in the games he's featured this season.

Obviously we shouldn't get carried away over Jones and maybe the reason why Big Sam dropped him for todays clash was to send him a message to say that he's still got a long way to go to become a first team player, especially with experienced internationals ahead of him. He's in a great situation though because he's got some outstanding players to learn from and Big Sam, being an ex-defender himself, is probably the ideal person in helping Jones fulfil his potential.

I was speaking to a friend of Jones about a week ago and it's astounding how little he gets in appearance money when he turns out for the first team compared to some of our extremely average "stars" on 30 - 40k p.w.

Two things struck me, we need to get Jones signed up to a first team contract asap and if we could fill three or four first team slots with homegrown talent on a regular basis it might free up enough funding to bring in a real top quality signing or two at the other end of the scale.

This friend's verdict on Jones: "Hard as nails."

• Backroom

I had a discussion in the pub with someone who claimed to employ his best mate, he reckoned Jones is on £3k a month (or was it a week?). Probably miles off and someone just spouting drunken nonsense though.

At 19 Ferdinand was player of the year for West Ham then a couple of years after moved for £18m then moved to the best team in the country for £30m and played 70+ times for England including as captain. Jones has a long long way to go before we should start to think of him as the best thing since sliced bread. There have been so many players in the Premier League who are the next best thing who have gone on to achieve nothing. Let's give the guy some time to develop before we put too much pressure on him.

As for Terry, he's still a joke/disaster happening every other appearance. :lol:

New 5 year deal has just been announced by the club.

Absolutely bloody fantastic news.

Good to see he and his family have obviously got their heads screwed on the right way and that he's happy to continue to learn his craft at a sensible pace and club.

Good work Rovers!

• Backroom

You at the awards evening??

Confirmed by JW 20 Mins ago - 5 year deal!!!

Great news!!

You got outscooped this time :P

£20m!!! Not official lol!

Let's hope your not far off if their is one . The only unfortunate thing at our club is that the manager, never gets to see the big transfer fees that we receive.

SORRY FOlKS ITS GOOD NEWS AND I'M PUTTING A DOWNER ON THINGS

Great news, wonder if their is a price clause in the contract allowing him to move on if a big offer came in.

Knowing Rovers, they have probably put that clause in, even if the player didn't want it! Great news, he's been fantastic when he has played this season. Hopefully we will get the benefit of his talents in the future and don't just sell him whenever a big club comes in and flashes some cash under our noises.

Sometimes a clause like that (If there is one), can work in our favour though. I'm not certain but I think when Roque left we basically held out until they met the sell on fee by basically saying, 'That's what we decided he's worth to us, pay it or p*ss off.) That's what I made of the situation anyway.

A 5 year contract when he only had 12 months to run has to be looked at as good news though however you look at it, surely?

Sometimes a clause like that (If there is one), can work in our favour though. I'm not certain but I think when Roque left we basically held out until they met the sell on fee by basically saying, 'That's what we decided he's worth to us, pay it or p*ss off.) That's what I made of the situation anyway.

A 5 year contract when he only had 12 months to run has to be looked at as good news though however you look at it, surely?

Because of his age we would have still got a fee - but gotta agree. Its good news all round - Jones must be happy at Rovers to sign the new contract - and yet again Rovers reward young talent coming through.

Archived