BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

philipl

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I,like you dont know who it goes to but it would be nice for the manager to have a nice warchest following player sales instead of having to make do.

THIS SIDE NEEDS INVESTMENT IF WE ARE TO IMPROVE.

Undoubtedly true but that's thinking with our hearts, not with our heads.

If this money is going into financing debts, keeping the club financially stable etc then it's doing an incredibly important job. Just a less exciting one than seeing new superstar players. Hull are in gigantic financial trouble despite hardly having a squad reminiscent of the one that did for Leeds back when they were in the Prem. Clearly it takes a huge amount of money just to sustain the running of the club. Ultimately, that's far more important than having Mr Poland playing up front for us next season.

If we absolutely must sell 10 million + worth of players to survive each season, no questions asked, then the day will eventually come when we won't have a young superstar for sale. And then what? We fold? Is that the future?

Unfortunatly for us - the board will look at it 1 way.

IF we sold NZonzi & Jones tomorrow for £10m combined - would Sam keep us up next year if we gave him £2m of that to spend? Simple answer - of course he would!

Best we can hope for is for these players to commit to us, giving us the necessary protection if a big club ever does come calling!

Undoubtedly true but that's thinking with our hearts, not with our heads.

If this money is going into financing debts, keeping the club financially stable etc then it's doing an incredibly important job. Just a less exciting one than seeing new superstar players. Hull are in gigantic financial trouble despite hardly having a squad reminiscent of the one that did for Leeds back when they were in the Prem. Clearly it takes a huge amount of money just to sustain the running of the club. Ultimately, that's far more important than having Mr Poland playing up front for us next season.

No one's looking for a squad like that Bellers.

We're not asking for worldies and no-one expects them. Just something better than Andrews, Roberts and a few crocks.

That really shouldn't be too much to hope for... should it?

This summer won't see us spent -18 million net but it could well be zero or below - especially if Jones went.

I don't want us to break the bank but it'd be good to see at least see SOME of the money raised from player sales properly re-invested on the squad.

If we absolutely must sell 10 million + worth of players to survive each season, no questions asked, then the day will eventually come when we won't have a young superstar for sale. And then what? We fold? Is that the future?

We surely have to work towards a wage bill which represents a much more acceptable proportion of our turnover. To be honest, continuing beyond our means in the hope of polishing diamonds into saleable assets is almost as dodgy as doing the same and relying on big place money (as Leeds did, and the likes of United and Liverpool are doing now).

We all want our club to get as high up the ladder as possible, and we all enjoy dining at the main table. But ultimately the majority of people here will be at Ewood rain or shine, regardless of division. I want Rovers to have a future to look forward to, and that relies on having sound financial health. If ultimately we find ourselves in a lower league "because that's our level" (as some people put it) then so be it, I'll still be there. But it terrifies me when I see clubs like Pompey and Hull from this division, and countless others, teetering on the brink of existance. That's not for me.

We had to make money last summer, because the appointment, spending, failure & sacking of Ince cost the club such a massive amount.

Sam is now steadying the ship again! The key is now to find younger talent who have bigger re-sale values, and also make best use of our wage budget.

On our wage bill currently, you could cut - Reid, Zurab, Bunn, Jacobsen & Judge and you wouldnt even notice they had gone - yet that would save us massive amounts each week in wages!! Cut the deadwood, develop potential and keep un-earthing gems is Sams mission!

No good selling our best young talent if most of the money recieved disappears into the now infamous black financial hole of Ewood,its happened too f'kin often! :angry2:

Sam Allardyce should state quite categorically that players only leave Ewood for real 'silly money' and that the profits of such deals are INVESTED fully or near as damn it back into his transfer kitty.

Silly post.

1. You need to accept that BRFC is a business and the owners of that business need to see a return. Otherwise why invest at all?

2. What makes you think that Sam Allardyce will have any significant influence in the financial affairs of the club?

THIS SIDE NEEDS INVESTMENT IF WE ARE TO IMPROVE.

I sort of know where you are coming from but the appointment of Sam Allardyce has proved that not to be the case.

I sort of know where you are coming from but the appointment of Sam Allardyce has proved that not to be the case.

So far, Gordon. The thing is, we need some investment. Not necessarily big money but steady money. Enough to be able to strengthen areas we need to and still not have to worry too much.

So far, Gordon. The thing is, we need some investment. Not necessarily big money but steady money. Enough to be able to strengthen areas we need to and still not have to worry too much.

I realise that of course gumboots but the only place we are likely to get it once the Media pot has been used up on stupid wages is player sales. Needless to say it's the best ones that generate the most. Twas ever thus.... apart from when Jack swept in of course.

We surely have to work towards a wage bill which represents a much more acceptable proportion of our turnover. To be honest, continuing beyond our means in the hope of polishing diamonds into saleable assets is almost as dodgy as doing the same and relying on big place money (as Leeds did, and the likes of United and Liverpool are doing now).

We all want our club to get as high up the ladder as possible, and we all enjoy dining at the main table. But ultimately the majority of people here will be at Ewood rain or shine, regardless of division. I want Rovers to have a future to look forward to, and that relies on having sound financial health. If ultimately we find ourselves in a lower league "because that's our level" (as some people put it) then so be it, I'll still be there. But it terrifies me when I see clubs like Pompey and Hull from this division, and countless others, teetering on the brink of existance. That's not for me.

You're way too optimistic about attendances. When Dalglish became manager we were already a successful Div 2 club, consistently in the play-offs and we were getting crowds well under 10000 at Ewood. If relegated that's what we would go back to eventually. Must be avoided at all costs.

• Backroom

I bet Fergie is fuming he just splashed out on Smalling when Jones appears a much better prospect :lol:

Does he really? If you were a fulham fan and had seen smalling in action a bit and only seen jones briefly you'd probably say the reverse.

Jones has looked solid so far but it could all go the way of marlon broomes yet. I just think we need to be patient and not get over excited just yet.

Well apparently Wenger has ruled out making an enquiry about Phil Jones. Apparently it's too early to "really assess him".

Hopefully the club has told Wenger where he can stick any enquiries.

I really hate the arrogance of these big clubs who just think that they will decide when the will or won't take someone else's player.

I really hate the arrogance of these big clubs who just think that they will decide when the will or won't take someone else's player.

It works all the way down the football pyramid.

It works all the way down the football pyramid.

True - although im sure that if Jones is a rock today against his side then it may sway him more towards making a bid - the price will go up with each good performance. Look at Smalling, 4 games and then £9m move!

Hopefully Jones tells them to stick it and that he is Blackburn through and through..... :wacko::brfc:

Smalling is a ball playing defender, a type of Ferdinand player.

From what I've seen of Jones, just the one game against Chelsea, he appears to be in the Vidiv mould, please correct me if I am wrong though.

Smalling is a ball playing defender, a type of Ferdinand player.

From what I've seen of Jones, just the one game against Chelsea, he appears to be in the Vidic mould, please correct me if I am wrong though.

But better...

Seriously, I have never seen an 18 year old central defender playing with such assurance, authority and maturity. He is certainly comfortable on the ball.

Archived