BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

philipl

I think some are getting ahead of themselves with Jones. Yes he looks very promising, but we need to bring him along slowly. You can't throw an 18 year old to the wolves at this level, it does long term damage (as Owen). He's not grown into his body yet.

He does look VERY assured for someone his age, and with Allardyce in charge he'll definitely improve as a defender, but I wouldn't pencil him in for a starting role next season just yet.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The great thing now is seeing young lads like Phil JoNES who can gain some valuable experience against your Uniteds and Arsenals without any fear.

Would like to think that Rovers can now start to look at next season with big Sam looking to improving the quality and effectiveness of Rovers forward play.

Smalling plays like Knight and 'Tiny', all the size in the world and no idea how to use it to his advantage.

Now in the first team, SA needs to stick by him, even if he does do a cock up, dropping him would undo or the good work done so far.

I disagree, Sam needs to bring the lad on carefully, at 18, his body is not neccessarily equipped to play 2 games per week at a high intensity, maybe our resident Scientist Majiball would comment on that, but I always believe, for the players sake and help his career, they need leaving out to be rested, keep them fresh.

As long as Sam explains to the player why, which I am sure he will do.

Yeah but we're not playing two games a week

We might as well keep playing him until the end of the season, just to see if he has a weakness that we can then work on over pre-season

We should give Nelsen few games too. After all, he is going to play WC and needs to play after the injury. Maybe Jones could play RB a match or two.

We should give Nelsen few games too. After all, he is going to play WC and needs to play after the injury. Maybe Jones could play RB a match or two.

What?! That is a potentially damaging to Jones' career, what if he as a nightmare at full back? All so Nelsen can get match practise in for an international tournament? Madness.

Nelsen can play his way into the team on his own merit, the world cup has no relevance to us at all.

What?! That is a potentially damaging to Jones' career, what if he as a nightmare at full back? All so Nelsen can get match practise in for an international tournament? Madness.

Nelsen can play his way into the team on his own merit, the world cup has no relevance to us at all.

Jones is used to play both CD and RB. Nothing to wonder here.

I just don't understand gambling his future to allow Nelsen practise for the world cup, what's the reward? It's not like we're short of right backs, and Jones doesn't really seem to have any of the attributes you would associate with modern full backs.

Jones is used to play both CD and RB. Nothing to wonder here.

He may have played RB in the youth team and reserve team but hes playing at the Top Level in English football which is considered to be one of the most demanding leagues in the World. He looks a fantastic prospect as a CB why change that or encourage versitillity. When managers start making players play out of position because they are versitile then they don't develop to the best they can in their best position. The best players have one position they can play versitile players play a range of positions because they aint generally good enough to play in one position week in week out.

Agree totally - if he wants the place then he should earn it....for me based on form he is currently behind Samba, Givet & Jones in choices for the centre.

As for the world cup - Not our problem

Why not give Ryan Nelsen a run out on RB?

Why not leave Ryan Nelsen on the bench until/ IF we need him.

I disagree, Sam needs to bring the lad on carefully, at 18, his body is not neccessarily equipped to play 2 games per week at a high intensity, maybe our resident Scientist Majiball would comment on that, but I always believe, for the players sake and help his career, they need leaving out to be rested, keep them fresh.

As long as Sam explains to the player why, which I am sure he will do.

18 is the minimum age we work with, so there aren't really any real reasons why he shouldn't be able to cope, once he's adapted. I would expect his training to be harder/more intense and he should be able to adapt within 4-8 weeks, dependent on how the training is being done. 2-3 games a week is hard for any player, with the intensity of the premiership what it is these days. Personally its a tricky one, as always with the kids, but he's done very well I think I'd keep him in the team as subbing centre backs is not always the best idea in game.

I love the way people are saying play him or Nelsen at RB, we already enough for our own museum we don't need anymore right-backs.

Archived