BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

philipl

Why? Back it up, why don't you?

I thought it was obvious given my fairly well-documented national allegiances. I would find it very hard to support a team in a league whose primary goal is to facilitate the England national side. For me thats not at all what the league we play in means to me.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil Jones aint International class, just because he gets a few games at the end of the season for a premiership club hes deemed OK for the national squad - SAD!

Would have thought he'd have to prove himself over a period of time with his club before hes seen as capable for the national side.

Phil Jones aint International class, just because he gets a few games at the end of the season for a premiership club hes deemed OK for the national squad - SAD!

Would have thought he'd have to prove himself over a period of time with his club before hes seen as capable for the national side.

"He is a top young player and it's my belief in any case that he will be in the full England squad before very long."

Nobody has suggested he is international class- yet. But the way that he has handled some top class strikers at the age of 18, suggests he may be pretty soon.

I was chatting to my friends about the England squad and they agreed that we need a complete refresh. Interesting that without promopt they said Jones would be one of those they would look at for CB.

Just hope he continues to develop and in time it'll come.

The paucity of English talent means that Jones has to be viewed as a contender.

It is a sad fact that there are probably only half a dozen players ahead of him but there it is.

All we can do is hope that Phil has the right temprament to handle the territory and is able to fulfil the phenomenal potential he showed last season.

For me, I would take the best 11 young players in England and gel them into a team, bugger winning the silly friendly games, use them to gel a team together for the future, this really is the way. Ok there will be some who come into the squad but I hope now we take a leaf out of Spains book, pass, move, pressure and support for as well as being a wonderful passing side, they all work so hard and they arent a big side either but boy can they play.

For me, I would take the best 11 young players in England and gel them into a team, bugger winning the silly friendly games, use them to gel a team together for the future, this really is the way. Ok there will be some who come into the squad but I hope now we take a leaf out of Spains book, pass, move, pressure and support for as well as being a wonderful passing side, they all work so hard and they arent a big side either but boy can they play.

Bring back the "B" team, arrange games against normal international teams in the breaks and let them develop there.

Spain's way of play with the English risk in the final third, pace and athleticism would be a very destructive force.

Jones has played less than 10 games, to already be hailing him as an England international is too much. He's just made the U21's, hasn't even nailed down a starting berth, you might as well put him in a clamp and squeeze him.

Protect him from the spotlight, let him develop and don't place unnecessary pressures on his head. Its exactly what is done with your national team and not even they can cope with it, so why on earth do people think Jones will?????

Good young player with good potential, leave it at that.

Iv said it before....England should look at it now & simply say anyone over 30, your out! (Except keepers)

They should then REALLY go with players on form, not who they are and who they play for.....So that gets rid of the likes of Heskey....and brings in players like Young and Darren Bent.

Then they should look at the best young players and throw them in at the deep end....let them get big game experience, let them learn the hard way & in 2-4 years time the national side will reap the benefits.

Joe Hart, Cahill, Adam Johnson, Jones, Wilshire, Rodwell, Gibbs, Agbonlahor just to name a few.

Its alright saying playing the kids, but what happens if they flop???

The press will get on their backs, as will the fans and what will happen to them?

You could hinder their development, far more than enhance it.

Not sure people would if it was broadcast that this was team building for the euros and next world cup.

As long as we know we are happy.. still the manager will pick based on what he needs *shrug*

Personally I reckon we should increase our number of friendly games and try our youngsters there.. I am sure teams all over the world would be happy to play us.

There is a point for both here Maji, I played a youth team 1 year under age, we got a few spankings before settling down, the following year second in the league and LFA Youth Cup Finalists, most of the lads were promoted to reserves and did a cup double and 9 out of the 11 were 17 years old!!

I do agree though, some could buckle if they dont acheive but thats for the coach to sort out, Arsenals youngsters seem to cope OK!!

And of course, the opposite reaction. They start winning a few games, and before long the media proclaim them the Golden Generation MkII and earmark them for international glory. The combined pressure and egotism once again weighing down realistic expectation.

There is a point for both here Maji, I played a youth team 1 year under age, we got a few spankings before settling down, the following year second in the league and LFA Youth Cup Finalists, most of the lads were promoted to reserves and did a cup double and 9 out of the 11 were 17 years old!!

I do agree though, some could buckle if they dont acheive but thats for the coach to sort out, Arsenals youngsters seem to cope OK!!

At the same time.. would those who buckle be able to cope at the top level anyway.. it may be harsh but its one way of finding out a players metal under pressure.

Not sure people would if it was broadcast that this was team building for the euros and next world cup.

Forget the Euros thats in 2 years - if we do well their then its purely a bonus...Germany didnt expect big this time, but it paid off and they did well. Just announce the sole intention is to rebuild the squad with the aim being WC 2014 in Brazil.

There is a point for both here Maji, I played a youth team 1 year under age, we got a few spankings before settling down

Similar with us

Its hard on the player & it is usually a difficult period at the start, but come the end of it - you reap the benefits. The ones that were NOT good enough soon got found out, those that genuinely had a good ability continued to develop further.

Just announce the sole intention is to rebuild the squad with the aim being WC 2014 in Brazil.

That's ridiculous....we've more chance of winning the Euro's here in europe than winning the WC in South America....Whenever does a european side do well in S.America....so even with our bestest team in 2014, we ain't gonna win it anyway....we should be mixing the youth with experience for the 2012 euros....lampard, terry, barry, heskey, james should all never play for england again...then we can concentrate on putting round pegs in round holes.

Definitely agree with you that it can be done, but club football means week in week out. I believe you need a blend for the future, the general public will not tolerate non qualification or a decent showing at the next international comp.

And of course, the opposite reaction. They start winning a few games, and before long the media proclaim them the Golden Generation MkII and earmark them for international glory. The combined pressure and egotism once again weighing down realistic expectation.

And here's one of the major issues, there is no middle ground in this country.

For me if you flood the team with the kids your asking for trouble at that level. Keep some of the older players who will still be good players at the euro's and play some of the younger players round them. Gerrard, A. Cole, Carrick, Ferdinand, Terry, Rooney should all still be playing top level in 2 years time add in youth around them and the majority of the bench and you'll be able to build and at the same time perform.

The press will get on their backs, as will the fans and what will happen to them?

You could hinder their development, far more than enhance it.

EXACTLY !

Jones was playing on raw youthful enthusiasm last season, when that drops off which it will then we'll see a dip and then he'll have to manage himself to improve on his game.

That's ridiculous....we've more chance of winning the Euro's here in europe than winning the WC in South America....we should be mixing the youth with experience for the 2012 euros....

Im not saying scrap the whole lot…hence why I said everyone over 30 (except keepers), that would still leave the likes of Gerrard, Rooney, A Cole etc...

The system in this country needs a overhaul - forget the media, forget the big heads that play for the glamour clubs...

Players not fully fit shouldn’t be picked…..i.e. James, Ferdinand, King

Player’s not playing 1st team football shouldn’t be picked…..i.e. Heskey, SWP, Joe Cole

Players who will more than likely be past it come the next world cup… Heskey, James, Lampard, Carragher (already quit), Beckham, Ferdinand

Next world cup will be the last for – SWP, Joe Cole, Carrick, Ash Cole, Barry, Gerrard, Terry, King.....so something needs doing QUICK!

Players need to EARN their place in the national squad, not just feel its their right, they need to show respect to both the coach & the fans – which means no coming out slagging off the management or undermining them by saying ‘we are going to air our problems whether he likes it or not’ & also should not be doing dodgy things which will have a detrimental effect on the squad (main example – John Terry vs Wayne Bridge).

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.skysports.com/football/transfers/scout

Sky soprts scout him as a prospect

"However, if his progress continues over the coming season it will surely be a matter of when rather than if one of the Premier League's big guns comes calling."

Yeah, cheers for that Sky, lord forbid a promising young player stays with a club like us.

I think he is about 1.85 or so. Should be 6'1 or so. Leaps higher than he should.

Played in front of the defence today and I think its a sign of Sam looking at players possibly coming out big in different positions as was the case with Olsson last season.

Archived