BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

philipl

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Charlie Nicholas on SSN, Rovers knocked back a 39 million bid from an unnamed club. When? Who from? Glad Roevrs turned it down though, we have a fantastic midfielder/derender on our books. Phil Jones is superman. :rover:

lol

U have to love this lad. Big Sam wanted to play with 11 best players we got. It meant new role for Jonesy and he was brilliant. So happy.

Brilliant is a stretch. He did well under difficult circumstances, but he's never a midfielder in a million years.

Brilliant is a stretch. He did well under difficult circumstances, but he's never a midfielder in a million years.

I thought he did well in that position but as you say he is certainly better at centre half.

I hope we dont have to rely on him playing different positions too much as I would like to see him progress as a centre back not a utility player, does say a lot about his ability thought to be able to play out of position at this lvl and play well too.

A great prospect for Rovers.

According to Charlie Nicholas on SSN, Rovers knocked back a £9 million bid from an unnamed club. When? Who from? Glad Roevrs turned it down though, we have a fantastic midfielder/derender on our books. Phil Jones is superman. :rover:

Haha oops

Yeah , that club is his club Arse-nal .

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/08/14/arsenal-weigh-up-move-for-9m-teenage-centre-back-wenger-keen-on-blackburn-rovers-youngster-jones/?

Looks like Jones will play in midfield quite often this season according to Big Sam who says its difficult to dislodge Nelsen and Samba right now. Maybe not the worst thing to have him in there based on yesterday.

He protected the defence well but there isn't much guile and creativity yet. If he can work with N'Zonzi then we will have a midfield that few will relish playing against. In a way I think Dunny's injury (once we were a goal up) actually worked against Everton

Yet again we see selection for the national side something to be avoided at all costs. Whether full or U21's it's just one big head turning exercise. England hotels and training camps must be one big feeding frenzy for the agents. :angry2:

He made a couple of surprising forays forward, which is something I didnt expect to see of him. I saw much more movement from him than I usually see from Nzonzi who plays a similar role for us. Not saying he should dislodge Nzonzi, but its a good option to have.

Fellaini won everything in the air-but they played him too deep-he is much more affective at winning games than otherwise, and if he played deeper on Saturday they may have broken through. Cahill-Piennaar-Arteta-Fellaini in a diamond through the middle is some midfield. Play with two wing backs and you have a very mobile and strong attack.

He made a couple of surprising forays forward, which is something I didnt expect to see of him. I saw much more movement from him than I usually see from Nzonzi who plays a similar role for us. Not saying he should dislodge Nzonzi, but its a good option to have.

Should we not be comparing the merits of young Jonesy against Keef rather than N'Zonzi.

Playing in midfield might help him develop into a good playing central defender who can bring the ball forward and distribute it wisely. I thought he looked solid on Saturday, but it's too early to say if he can hack it as a defensive midfielder just yet.

Playing in midfield might help him develop into a good playing central defender who can bring the ball forward and distribute it wisely. I thought he looked solid on Saturday, but it's too early to say if he can hack it as a defensive midfielder just yet.

Dont know if its relevant, but Brede Hangeland played as a deep holding midfielder when he played in Norway..

It is no bad thing that Rovers supporters give a player who has just turned 18 no slack- the Prem opposition certainly won't make any concessions to him!

However, from the bits of games I can see, Phil Jones is just about the most exciting English-born player of his age and I am completely bowled over by the fact he is coming through our ranks.

How old is rodwell?

Very excited about jones who looks the real deal, but we must remember he hasn't really done much beyond what David wheater did at the beginning of his career. Let's give him time to make mistakes and see whether he learns from them.

Archived