BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Phil Jones

philipl

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? Improving the England team was one of the stated aims when the PL was first created.

Absolutely true. However I think that's been forgotten along the way and probably replaced with "make as much cash as possible, make the bigger clubs bigger, bring in as many foreign imports as possible and to hell with the National Team and it's football pitch". How convenient.

Jones is a potential first team starter. Sending him to the U19s, or even the U21s, will have an adverse impact on that prospect. While he will doubtless handle the ball and stay in condition while in England's camp, he will not be practicising Sam's system and tactics for the new season. The pre-season is vital if Jones (and the Rovers) want to do well out of the gates.

Having said that, if I were Sam I would explain the situation to Jones. Namely that he can go play for England, but that means he will find himself behind the curve at the Rovers and keeping the starter's spot he took from Nelsen that much less likely. If Jones is smart, he'll stick with the club as Sam is far more likely to develope him as a player than the national side.

They should play for thier country when called at whatever level. It's not unreasonable and its about time country came first. The ENGLISH Premier league should be facilating the England team.

OK, IF THE FA PAY THEY'RE WAGES AND AGRRE TO GIVE US THEY'RE HIGHEST POTENTIAL FUTURE TRANSFER FEE IF CROCKED PLAYING MICKEY MOUSE COUNTRIES IN POINTLESS GAMES WATCHED BY NO ONE......JUST MAKE INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL AN AMETURE ONLY GAME. CLUB FOOTBALL COMES FIRST ALWAYS.

If Sam got a call from his country we all now what his answer would be, he has made that abundantly clear - why is it any different?

BECAUSE ENGLAND PAY £6 M TO DO LESS WORK THAN A WEEKEND PAPERBOY AND WE DO'NT......PAY THE ENGLAND MANAGER 100K A WEEK AND SEE WHO WANTS TO BAIL ON A PREMIER LEAGUE MANAGERS JOB FOR IT.

Let the lad go it will be far more enlightening for him than preseason training at Rovers. I would suspend the registration of any player not released for 6 months. If that leads to a PL / Euro breakaway then great, it will be the best thing that happens to English football - we get our game back.

YES, THEN EVERY PLAYER WILL TURN HIS BACK ON INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL........THE PREMIER LEAGUE MONEY WINS EVERY TIME.

They should play for thier country when called at whatever level. It's not unreasonable and its about time country came first. The ENGLISH Premier league should be facilating the England team.

If Sam got a call from his country we all now what his answer would be, he has made that abundantly clear - why is it any different?

Let the lad go it will be far more enlightening for him than preseason training at Rovers. I would suspend the registration of any player not released for 6 months. If that leads to a PL / Euro breakaway then great, it will be the best thing that happens to English football - we get our game back.

I'm in absolute agreement with this. By holding Jones back from this, you could be denying him a future world cup winning medal.

(Think about it)

But that's OK because a premier league club's survival comes way ahead of national team needs, and it's OK to (ab)use a player and sell him on later for money as long as the club survive in the premier league.

I want England to copy Germany. Brooking is right.

I'm in absolute agreement with this. By holding Jones back from this, you could be denying him a future world cup winning medal.

(Think about it)

But that's OK because a premier league club's survival comes way ahead of national team needs, and it's OK to (ab)use a player and sell him on later for money as long as the club survive in the premier league.

Yeah but we are not holding him back from this he's been called up by the under 21's so no ones holding anyone back.

I suspect Sam has played a blinder on this and promoted England's interests, Phil Jones' interests and Rovers' interests all at the same time.

Looking at the u-19 selection, I only recognised one name that had any Premier League playing time so Jones is a higher level on that basis.

(Think about it)

England, Schmengland. Rovers first by a country mile.

While he will doubtless handle the ball and stay in condition while in England's camp, he will not be practicising Sam's system and tactics for the new season

How much of 'Go long!' do you need to learn?

It's different because he's not going to play for us or for England. Jones would disrupt his preparation for the season to go to the tournament. Mnagers always say that a full preseason is vital if you are to hit the ground running, play well and stay fit as far as possible.I think if we were mid season or whenever we would release Jones but preseason is the wrong time to be playing anyway. It's not like the African Cup of Nations when we have to play then to fit in with their calendar. It's preseason in many of the major European leagues at the moment.

Not noticed there is a world cup going on? Those European leagues will really suffer I guess? I mean all those players with a broken and disrupted preseason.

I suspect Sam has played a blinder on this and promoted England's interests, Phil Jones' interests and Rovers' interests all at the same time.

Looking at the u-19 selection, I only recognised one name that had any Premier League playing time so Jones is a higher level on that basis.

Hes heaped huge pressure onto the young lad at such an early stage in his career, totally unnecessary in my book !

Not noticed there is a world cup going on? Those European leagues will really suffer I guess? I mean all those players with a broken and disrupted preseason.

Preseason training for those who've been to the World Cup won't be disrupted - However, it will start late, hence why some of the players take longer to get up to speed and full fitness after major international summers. I'm not suggesting it's different for other countries. However, at the age of 18 not that many players play in their club's first team, and it is important not to push young bodies too much. They recover quickly but unless they are properly prepared they build up injury problems for later in their career. I just think the tournament is at a silly time - just as most players are coming back from holidays and are therefore least well prepared - and that applies to clubs across large parts of Europe too, as I said in my original post.

Hes heaped huge pressure onto the young lad at such an early stage in his career, totally unnecessary in my book !

Well he did call him the next John Terry!

He'll need to perform out of his skin for sometime to shake that tag off.... ;)

England, Schmengland. Rovers first by a country mile.

could'nt agree more, be better still if jones came out and said he can't be bothered with international football, i can dream. Bet dean ashton wishes he'd never been involved with england.

rovers survive or england win summit, answer rovers every single time.

Archived