SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Swine Flu

ABBEY

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Sun reckons we may ask to postpone the League Cup tie:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2699029/Rovers-swine-flu-fears.html

"BLACKBURN may ask to postpone tomorrow's Carling Cup tie with Peterborough after a swine-flu scare."

Nicko's article as well:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Football-facing-swine-flu-crisis-after-Blackburn-stars-struck-down-with-disease-article201411.html

The FA were notified and nothing was done. Quel surprise. Match goes ahead, we get stomped on, Quel surprise. Good old footballing authorities and their even handed approach and support of fair play. When it spreads and bigger clubs question the wisdom of playing they will probably 'learn' from their experience with Rovers and make a different decision.

I hope the United game is postponed. It sounds like it's too late to stop it spreading through the squad now - by next weekend we're going to be screwed. You can guarantee if it was the other way round they'd cancel the games. Besides, I've not paid nearly £90 for 2 tickets to watch a bunch of ill players get murdered.

I hope the United game is postponed. It sounds like it's too late to stop it spreading through the squad now - by next weekend we're going to be screwed. You can guarantee if it was the other way round they'd cancel the games. Besides, I've not paid nearly £90 for 2 tickets to watch a bunch of ill players get murdered.

or £90 to watch our reserve team get murdered

Can't find anything about the FA saying no? So we defintely tried to get it postponed but the FA turned us down?

word from FA is we told then about the breakout but because we never asked to postpone the game they never looked into it

This is a pretty unique situation, certainly in the modern era.

If there are other players laid off then you may have the right to cancel a match. I think it is three or more with the same virus, but I would have to check to see if that rule has changed.

The likelihood is that the Peterborough game will be ok as you would be 'using the squad' for that one.

But if it lasts until the weekend then Man U would be another matter. However that is a live TV game, so it gets a bit financially sensitive.

Dunny had the virus when he played against Burnley, but was recovering. Samba picked it up later.

By the looks about five or six were toiling with something on Saturday too. But that's another story.

This is a pretty unique situation, certainly in the modern era.

If there are other players laid off then you may have the right to cancel a match. I think it is three or more with the same virus, but I would have to check to see if that rule has changed.

The likelihood is that the Peterborough game will be ok as you would be 'using the squad' for that one.

But if it lasts until the weekend then Man U would be another matter. However that is a live TV game, so it gets a bit financially sensitive.

Dunny had the virus when he played against Burnley, but was recovering. Samba picked it up later.

By the looks about five or six were toiling with something on Saturday too. But that's another story.

Official site confirms Peterborough tie goes ahead

The rules used to allow postponement of games because of illness - but not because of injuries. I don't know if that is the same nowadays. Shades of the Blackburn polio outbreak in 1966 here.

Potentially this could cause mayhem.

If the FA allow cancellations these could easily become nationwide and could last for months. What do they do - take things game by game, or do they issue guidelines to clubs?

If the FA allow cancellations these could easily become nationwide and could last for months. What do they do - take things game by game, or do they issue guidelines to clubs?

Totally uncharted territory...what happens if it spreads from club to club?

You will be relieved to know Burnley players are OK after the derby. :D

However what happens if Chelsea's luvvies start spluttering later in the week.

Unfortunately Jensen isn't. :)

It must be a worry to the authorities Nicko. Although I guess they will proceed along the same lines as they do with any 'flu outbreak. The clubs will have to contact the authorities and a decision will be taken on a match by match basis?

It must be a worry to the authorities Nicko. Although I guess they will proceed along the same lines as they do with any 'flu outbreak. The clubs will have to contact the authorities and a decision will be taken on a match by match basis?

Like I say, this is totally new. There will be a precedent set shortly if someone asks for a game to be called off. Then the Premier League/Football League or FA will have to act.

The French called a game off yesterday, left it late and sparked a riot.

You would they would be more organised over here.

Well, we shall see, it would be extremely interesting if Chelsea players did go down with the illness!!

I wonder what the FA would do then? If one game gets cancelled, where would that leave Rovers?

Would they have a right to appeal against the result or if not the result, definately the scoreline!!

Anybody else thinking of the Middlesbrough game around 10 years ago? Their squad came down with something and asked the game to be called off, the FA didn't grant permission and docked them 3 points after they didn't turn up (which meant they were relegated at the end of the season). Replay later in the season ended 0-0.

What were the reasons Boro weren't allowed to postpone the game? Did they not inform the FA in time? I seem to recall lots of the players only got sick on the day of the game or something.

The Boro incident is an interesting precedent for the PL/FA but swine flu' as opposed to Boro Bogitis or whatever they had is a matter of global concern. That means the authorities have got to be concerned about it spreading between clubs. As someone else pointed out, none of our players got close enough to Chelsea players to pass it on but I have to wonder about the fitness of some of our's who played. Nelsen looked unusually pasty in the close up after he had conceded the penalty whilst Bert does usually run around a lot.

Nicko's revelation that Dunn ad swine flu whilst playing against the dingles (and he still ran them ragged) had me chuckling at the final indignity for the hill trolls.

I did say to Mr Roversmum that Nelsen didn't look well, and Bert was way off the pace. It certainly wasn't the best of times for that to happen for Rovers. It will be interesting to see how it all develops, cue hissy fit from Ferguson if anyone is likely to breathe on his squad.

Archived