BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] We'Ve Got A Semi (Thread) On

Ste B

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair they did finish the game with 10 men, which is quite weakened if you ask me.

We also had 15mins of '10 men' while N'Zonzi was being treated. I see your point, but it applies to both sides. We also had a 'weakened' side with Jacobsen, Givet, Dunn and DiSanto all out. They are starters on another day!

Allocation in carling cup is minimum 20% of the ground capacity so will prob be the lower at least of the end opposite holte end. so should be 8250

Its apparantly 15% so you will get around 6700.

As for the North stand behind the goal opposite the Holte End you won't be in there, its been a home end for 3 or 4 years now and is pretty much full of season ticket holders.

You might get the upper tier of that stand and some of the Witton Lane stand but you definately won't be in the Lower North.

Deco, Joe Cole, Ivanovic, Ballack, Drogba, Kalou, Malouda...

Very weakened? I think you're pushing it, mate.

What on earth are you on about? Are you trying to tell me that you played Chelsea's first team the other night? Now I'm not saying you were playing their reserves but I don't recall seeing Cech, Terry, Carvalho, Essien, Anelka, Ashley Cole, Lampard, Boswingwa, Alex for example all of who are what you would consider first choice players.

Yes Deco played, yes Cole who is coming back from injury played and Ballack, Kalou and Malouda played and Drogba came off the bench. However the likes of Ferrera and Hilario also played so as I said it was a weakened team.

I'm not knocking you, I congratulated you on your win but I'm really not pushing it when i say it was a weakened Chelsea side. That said you can only beat what is in front of you and you beat them but don't try and kid yourself that they were at their strongest especially when they were down to 10 men towards the end of the game.

What on earth are you on about? Are you trying to tell me that you played Chelsea's first team the other night? Now I'm not saying you were playing their reserves but I don't recall seeing Cech, Terry, Carvalho, Essien, Anelka, Ashley Cole, Lampard, Boswingwa, Alex for example all of who are what you would consider first choice players.

Yes Deco played, yes Cole who is coming back from injury played and Ballack, Kalou and Malouda played and Drogba came off the bench. However the likes of Ferrera and Hilario also played so as I said it was a weakened team.

I'm not knocking you, I congratulated you on your win but I'm really not pushing it when i say it was a weakened Chelsea side. That said you can only beat what is in front of you and you beat them but don't try and kid yourself that they were at their strongest especially when they were down to 10 men towards the end of the game.

Of course Chelsea's was a weakened team but we also had 5 changes from the team who played Stoke at the weekend. And as has been pointed out on the Chelsea game thread, the players they played on Wednesday cost over 4 times the Rovers players.

Of course Chelsea's was a weakened team but we also had 5 changes from the team who played Stoke at the weekend. And as has been pointed out on the Chelsea game thread, the players they played on Wednesday cost over 4 times the Rovers players.

I'm not knocking your efforts or achievement mate far from it, it was still a great performance and result. I totally accept your above points as well wouldn't argue with anything you have said, it was just the notion that I was pushing it for suggesting Chelsea was weakened which I was responding too.

I think the two games are going to be very very close things and your manager seems to have a nack for setting teams up to play against us so will be tough.

Of course Chelseas team was a weakened one, although it still wasn't a weak team.

Just remember though Villa fans, you may have beaten Chelseas full strength team (well done), but we have beaten your full strength team this season with ten men .........

I can't wait but feel that we will lose out at Villa park in the 2nd leg if I'm being honest.

Another semi final for Blackburn Rovers though, the most successful town in English Football.

Unbelieveable I cant attend either game

!st game is first day back at work in London after xmas break and 2nd leg I have gone and organised my company's conference with black tie dinner in Milton keynes, balls!!!

There will now have to be a TV in the bar withh BBC1 on

Anyway free for the weekend of the final

Of course Chelseas team was a weakened one, although it still wasn't a weak team.

Just remember though Villa fans, you may have beaten Chelseas full strength team (well done), but we have beaten your full strength team this season with ten men .........

I can't wait but feel that we will lose out at Villa park in the 2nd leg if I'm being honest.

Another semi final for Blackburn Rovers though, the most successful town in English Football.

I was very careful to say weakened rather than weak. :D

I agree with you by the way previous games don't really mean much, doesn't matter that we beat Chelsea or that you beat us last time out.

If I'm honest i'd be delighted with a draw at your place to go back to our place with, especially a score draw.

I seriously hope we're not in for a period of visits from patronising villa fans on here. They ruined this site in the summer on the transfer topics and it wasn't until we beat them at Ewood that they fecked off.

Villa are a dull club and yet their fans somehow think they are big time! must something to do with that particular city I suppose!

I seriously hope we're not in for a period of visits from patronising villa fans on here. They ruined this site in the summer on the transfer topics and it wasn't until we beat them at Ewood that they fecked off.

Villa are a dull club and yet their fans somehow think they are big time! must something to do with that particular city I suppose!

I've said nothing patronising about your club, I've been a member on here a fair old while and have never been critical of your club. If you want to be critical of Villa or the fans that is up to you I'm just a visitor here looking to talk about football not squable like a child.

I've said nothing patronising about your club, I've been a member on here a fair old while and have never been critical of your club. If you want to be critical of Villa or the fans that is up to you I'm just a visitor here looking to talk about football not squable like a child.

Who would you prefer in the final Trentvilla, United or City?

I'd prefer United as they've been there, done it and will probably field a few youngsters that arent as good as the ones of the past. Were as City and Hughes have it all to prove and realistically have all the ace cards to beat either of us.

Who would you prefer in the final Trentvilla, United or City?

If we get there ;)

I'd prefer United as they've been there, done it and will probably field a few youngsters that arent as good as the ones of the past. Were as City and Hughes have it all to prove and realistically have all the ace cards to beat either of us.

I think the prefered option for us like you would be Man Utd because as you say they will field a few youngsters and have other priorities come March. For Man City trying to land a trophy any trophy will be very important and they will go for it so I'd rather avoid them, plus while you have the Hughes thing we've got the Barry one.

I can't stand the thought of us reaching a final and losing to City and watching him on the winning side.

To be fair they did finish the game with 10 men, which is quite weakened if you ask me.

Plenty of sides manage well with a man down, especially the top dogs. Heck, we beat Villa with 10 only recently.

You said a VERY weakened Chelsea side, which puts extra emphasis on the weakened part. Look at the comparative money invested in both teams, and still tell me if that was a very weakened Chelsea side. They still had more than enough quality to defeat us. Your choice of words was poor and paints a picture of us beating their third-team.

You said a VERY weakened Chelsea side, which puts extra emphasis on the weakened part. Look at the comparative money invested in both teams, and still tell me if that was a very weakened Chelsea side. They still had more than enough quality to defeat us. Your choice of words was poor and paints a picture of us beating their third-team.

No my choice of words wasn't poor and it doesn't paint a picture of you beating their 3rd team, if you want to interpret it that why that is up to you but don't put words in my mouth because its quite clearly not what I said.

The comparitive cost of the Chelsea team put out in relation to your team is totally irrelevant to the question of how much the Chelsea side was weakened from their full strength team. The two things have absolutely nothing to do with each other, I've already listed the players missing from their side the other night and in my opinion (you are welcome to yours) a Chelsea side without those players is a very weakened side. There is a difference between saying it was a a very weakened side and a very weak side you know, two very different things and you seem to be mistaken which I said.

You don't have to like that, but that is the way I see it and I think just about every other neutral would see it so your definition of my wording being poor is simply because you don't agree.

I'm certainly not painting a picture of you having beaten their 3rd team when I've already previously quite clearly posted that it wasn't their reserve side. So you can interpret what I write however you like but don't put words in my mouth thanks especially when you are so wide of the mark.

Besides I'm in this thread to talk about the games against Villa not your game against Chelsea which I believe is what this thread is actually about.

I think the two games are going to be very very close things and your manager seems to have a nack for setting teams up to play against us so will be tough.

Totally agree,both games will be very close affairs and I just hope that Sam plays the same team that saw us beat Chelsea.6,000+ tickets will be more than enough for us at Villa park....dont worry about that one!

Am I right in thinking this is the first ever meeting between Rovers and Villa in a cup semi-final?

Totally agree,both games will be very close affairs and I just hope that Sam plays the same team that saw us beat Chelsea.6,000+ tickets will be more than enough for us at Villa park....dont worry about that one!

Am I right in thinking this is the first ever meeting between Rovers and Villa in a cup semi-final?

Yeah it will be tight, neither side seem to score very freely (recent games aside) and both are defensively solid, I wouldn't be surprised if there are only 2 or 3 goals in total over the two games.

As for if this is the first semi final between the two sides, its the first I'm aware of but beyond that I couldn't say mate.

No my choice of words wasn't poor and it doesn't paint a picture of you beating their 3rd team, if you want to interpret it that why that is up to you but don't put words in my mouth because its quite clearly not what I said.

The comparitive cost of the Chelsea team put out in relation to your team is totally irrelevant to the question of how much the Chelsea side was weakened from their full strength team. The two things have absolutely nothing to do with each other, I've already listed the players missing from their side the other night and in my opinion (you are welcome to yours) a Chelsea side without those players is a very weakened side. There is a difference between saying it was a a very weakened side and a very weak side you know, two very different things and you seem to be mistaken which I said.

If it's completely irrelevant then why even bother mentioning how weakened Chelsea's team were? Their 11 was still markedly superior to ours on paper, and shouldn't be used to discredit our victory by any means.

If it's completely irrelevant then why even bother mentioning how weakened Chelsea's team were? Their 11 was still markedly superior to ours on paper, and shouldn't be used to discredit our victory by any means.

You seem to be hard of reading.

Yet again don't put words in my mouth, I said the comparitive cost of Chelsea's team on Wednesday compared to yours was completely irrelevant to the issue of if there team was weakened and it is. Are you telling me the Chelsea side was full strength?

How can you say that a Chelsea side missing the likes of Cech, Terry, Carvalho, Lampard, A. Cole, Boswingwa, Anelka isn't very weakened from their full line up?????

If you want to say their side was markedly superior to yours that is up to you, I've not said that.

I've also not used anything to discredit your victory, a victory I congratulated you on and said you can only beat what is in front of you.

Feel free though to continue to persue things that I don't say all you wish.

TrentVilla, Bolton played you lot in the Semi-final en route to Cardiff a few seasons ago when Sam was in charge. Did Bolton have a better squad than you or was it Sam's tactics than won them the game?

What an unhappy memory that game is, we went into it as favourites but we were 3 down in the first 15 minutes at their place and obviously never recovered.

From memory there was some big fuss at the time about Okocha and he was about to go to the African Nations Cup, he spanked one in early and ran the show from there. We were really poor that night not that it was good Villa side or anything we had a tendancy to be a little gutless under O'Leary and Bolton exposed that and took us to the cleaners.

Did Bolton have a better squad? In all honesty I can't really remember, but they out played us in the first leg and even though we battered them in the 2nd leg it was too late.

Sam's tactics obviously played a part and he does have a history of setting his sides up well against us.

Also, will you definately have your "big guns" out for this game or will it be a mixture of both?

Without a shadow of a doubt it will be our best available team, no chance of anything other than that for the two games O'Neill is taking this seriously as our the fans, no Arsenal style arrogance from us. The only exception will be that Brad Guzan will be in goal rather than Brad Snr as we are blooding him to become number 1 and he looks a fine keeper in the making.

I disagree - I think the home leg 1st is the best way for us. If we can take a 2-0 win from Ewood then we can go to Villa full of confidence and just look to pinch a goal.

Im confident we can do them - again!

Good old Hughesy, always the positive one.

Bet you said that before the Crystal Palace ties. :)

When do you think tickets will be sale for the second leg? I have already been to 7 away games (after Hull/Brum), and plan on going to Wigan and the ones in January... I should be guaranteed one. Wonder what the allocation is?

No problem with tickets mate if we take up our full allocation. Rovers will not sell 6,700 tickets for this one if live on BBC.

Ancelotti put a Chelsea side out which he expected would carry him forwards to his first trophy and we beat it. Read through that starting XI he put on at Ewood and it is a lot scarier than any team Villa can put out to face us.

Having said that both Rovers and Villa will look at this semi and be thinking there is no reason why we shouldn't get to Wembley. It is Sam's tactical nous and motivational skills v Martin O'Neill's. Both sides have a midfielder who can run the game if allowed to and both sides have forwards who have problems with barn doors, banjos and cow's backsides etc etc.

If ever it is payback time for a few grotesque score lines favouring Villa relative to the run of play in recent seasons, it is this January, pretty please...

Archived