BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Groundhog January - Rovers V Villa

jonv

montagerovers.jpg

The Villains v Blackburn Rovers

FA Cup 3rd Round - January 2nd, KO 3:00pm

Blackburn Rovers will travel to Villa Park in the first of 3 crucial January encounters against there rivals from the Midlands. Villa are chasing a top 4 finish in the league and are hoping to win a domestic cup for the first time since 1996 where they beat Leeds United in the final. Rovers on the other hand have been agonizingly trying to stable a sinking ship since Big Sam took over from Paul Inces horrid tenure in charge. Surviving relegation last season was the priority and many this season were hoping to kick on and climb back up the rungs of the Arab Premier League. It hasn't exactly kicked on as many would have liked, 19 games gone in the league and Rovers sit just 3 points above the dreaded drop. More and more grumblings have slowly begun to surface and if it wasn't for a great run in the Carling Cup then the season has the makings of drizzling out into another bottom 10 scrap. 3 games against Villa will no doubt be about the tacticians steering the boats as much as this is Rovers v Villa I just hope the team sheets aren't slap forehead time when Rovers are announced.

EXPECT END TO END FREE FLOWING FOOTBALL WITH GOALS, MAYHEM, BLOOD, SWEAT AND TEARS FROM THE BOYS IN BLUE AND WHITE :brfcsmilie:

A scoreline we'd like to see...

4th January, 2003 - Aston Villa 1, Blackburn Rovers 4

After going behind early. Jensens first goalS after returning from his head injury and after recieving a foul reception from the Villa fans, Yorke got himself a consolation goal at the end. More of the same 6 years later PLEASE.

An encounter we'd rather avoid...

6th January, 1990 - Blackburn Rovers 2, Aston Villa 2

10th January, 1990, replay - Aston Villa 3, Blackburn Rovers 1

The last thing either club will want is a draw in the FA Cup to force a 4th game between the two. Both squads aren't the biggest and if we were to lose the replay it'd only be even more heartbreaking. This 1990 encounter would have made me about 3 years old and thus have no recollection of the game itself, any granddads care to offer a review?

10 Thoughts from a Villain housemate.

10. Friedal or Guzan?

Carling Cup, Guzan has been immense and is showing he is not only cover but a replacement for Friedal.

9. Expectations for the season?

Our inconsistency has been our major downfall even though we've increased our squad depth. One week we'll be playing dangerous, fast-paced attacking football, the next week hoofing for 90 minutes. Hoping for top 4, realistically can see us finishing 6th.

8. Villas unsung hero?

Uhh well with the media currently fawning over Dunne and Milner, I'll have to go with Cuellar. Consistently saves us and has been integral along with Dunne in giving what was (before the Arsenal thrashing) us the best defense in the league.

7. Most dangerous Villa player?

Pretty close battle between Milner and Young. Milner works his heart out and has become a force since moving into the middle. But I'll have to go with Young. Even being off form this season, he has been behind most of Villa's goals.

6. Thoughts on Rovers?

Frustrating season. I like Rovers and after the Ince tragedy, Allardyce seemed to be a really good thing, after winning the relegation battle he faced upon coming in, I was interested to see what he could do this season not having to start from the bottom. However it just hasn't seemed to click so far, haven't been following close enough to know what's not going right, but hoping it gets rectified soon - for your sakes.

5. Martin O'Neil or Big Sam?

Martin O'Neill and Big Sam, going on our rocket up the table the last few seasons and Big Sam's shaky results this season, going to have to go for MON. I also love Martin's little villa kit he wears on the sidelines. Really one of the team :).

4. Player swap, Villa player for (another) Rovers player.

Heskey for Dunn. Heskey has failed to impress me since arriving, although to be fair he has been better recently, but I just don't think he makes enough of an impact and would rather see Big John Carew up front for us.

3. Rovers final league position?

I'm going to get hopeful here and say with the current wacky results in the PL, a nice finish in 10th with Burnley crashing and burning back to the coca cola league

2. Laurson or Dunne?

Laursen was amazing for us, and if it weren't for his injury I really feel we wouldn't have had that free fall last season. 

Dunne has easily been our best signing of the last window and reignited our defense. Can't not love him as he's also bagged 3 goals for us, and seems to be moneybags city's biggest mistake. However I'm going to have to go with a fit-Laursen as he performed at such a high level over such a long period of time and really became a cult figure

1. FA Cup 3rd Round, Villa and Rovers, Final Score?

1-1 to just make the amount of times Villa and Rovers vs each other this January a little more ridiculous.

For me these games against Villa add an extra incentive for victory as my housemate is a Villain, no doubt it will be a roller coaster of a month.

Who the heck will Sam pick? Will Dunn be back? Hopefully if Sam does rid off Benni then it's after he's helped us scrap out a few victories against Villa. If our season was to ever be shaped, it is in the month of January.

Rovers v Villa @ Villa Park, Head says Villa win 2-0 Heart says 2-2.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I desperately would love to see Rovers win this game but it just isnt going to happen.

Villa 2 -0 winners to give them the uplift prior to the Tuesday night game at Ewood.

For me, this is a gmae that can either send Rovers into a serious decline or it could be the start of a very good New Year.

Let Villa take this one 4/5-0, give them the false confidence, then play the first team on tues and take a 3-0 lead into the CCsemi 2nd leg. A nervy 2-0 defeat doesnt prevent us from a trip to Wembley. Roberts and Andrews are mysteriously given the wrong directions to london and are last seen boarding a one way flight to outer Yemen. During the final Santa scores the own goal, Bellers gets picked up and thrown over the advertising boards by Samba and Rovers go on to win the Cup 1-0.

I'd sacrifice an FA Cup run this season if it meant we got to the final of the League Cup.

We'll probably go easy on Villa to lull them into a false sense of security but with nothing to lose, who knows...

Wonder if Sam will 'Pull A Mick' for this one?

This game is very important, not so much for the result but for BFS to study and analyze Aston Villa's style of play. We need to learn from this game and be 100% ready for the semi-final. This is where a lot of planning and intelligence is required, something which, admittedly we have failed to show this season. But now is the time.

Should also be a good warm-up game for Dunn and Emerton before the big one on Tuesday.

This game is very important, not so much for the result but for BFS to study and analyze Aston Villa's style of play. We need to learn from this game and be 100% ready for the semi-final. This is where a lot of planning and intelligence is required, something which, admittedly we have failed to show this season. But now is the time.

Should also be a good warm-up game for Dunn and Emerton before the big one on Tuesday.

I can't believe you're advocating playing Dunn and Emerton ( if fit ) in this game. I'd do a Mick McCarthy and send the second 11 ( maybe that's the first 11 ) It's a nothing game for us given our current situation.

I can't believe you're advocating playing Dunn and Emerton ( if fit ) in this game. I'd do a Mick McCarthy and send the second 11 ( maybe that's the first 11 ) It's a nothing game for us given our current situation.

Not for the full game obviously, but they need to get a run-out before the semi final.

Not sure what we should do with this one - maybe a few fringe players? Or maybe even try someone new in place of Andrews, such as Salgado.

Semi Final is more important for me as we are so close.

Kalinic & Di Santo up top please and it will give us a good chance!

The only relevance the next two games have are to allow the manager one last chance to work out his best side. I'll take three defeats against Villa in exchange for 12 points from the next seven matches. Beating Bolton, Hull and Wigan is more important than any cup game. We had planned to go but after Wigan and Sunderland I think it's unlikely, unless Saturday dawns bright and sunny.

The only relevance the next two games have are to allow the manager one last chance to work out his best side. I'll take three defeats against Villa in exchange for 12 points from the next seven matches. Beating Bolton, Hull and Wigan is more important than any cup game. We had planned to go but after Wigan and Sunderland I think it's unlikely, unless Saturday dawns bright and sunny.

Pretty brave comments there Paul, i got slated when i said something similar before the Chelsea cup game, that the league was far more of a priority this season.

On the evidence of the last two games i still believe that.

Dead right, in our condition a F.A. Cup run is not going to be helpful. Give it a good whirl in the league cup instead. I'm not sure I'd risk Dunn in the semi-final either.

Pretty brave comments there Paul, i got slated when i said something similar before the Chelsea cup game, that the league was far more of a priority this season.

On the evidence of the last two games i still believe that.

Before the Chelsea game I'd have said something different. Six games on we have taken 4 points from 18 and drawn at least three games we needed to win, the situation has, for me, changed considerably. If we don't get a decent points total before the Liverpool game we are in deep trouble. I want the cup games used for serious experiment not just to fulfill the fixture or have a look at a player or two.

Don't you think that reaching the final of the League Cup would be a massive boost? I remember when we won the League Cup in 2002. Despite a poor league season, we finished the final day on 10th position.

3 defeats in a row to Villa could be devastating to our confidence. Like I said, the FA Cup I'd sacrifice but not the Carling Cup.

You are of course right about the league games but we need some confidence to take into these matches.

Archived