BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa Semi Final Match Preview

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't mind if we win, but otherwise I'll be so cheesed off. And cold.

We'll win. Our home form is especially strong and the only question in my mind is by how much we beat Villa. Once that's accomplished, Sam has to make sure to field his best scrappers, players with some fight in them, when we travel to Villa, as the midfield tends to get a bit limp wristed away from home. I have my fingers crossed that Dunn, Grella, Emerton and N'Zonzi are all fit for the second leg.

The point is we haven't been "doing OK" at any point this season. We've had a couple of decent performances, couple of games when we turn in a decent half and that's it. Philip posted at the begining of the season we'd be OK provided we didn't make a mess of the first five games. What happened? Four points from fifeteen.The truth is Allardyce has yet to produce any sort of consistent form while at the same time combining this with the worst style of football seen at Ewood for a long time. it's no wonder folk are unhappy. This is the problem and ticket sales for tomorrow appear to be making the point very clearly.

Right so if those so called supporters that missed the Chelsea game miss this to then (Please don't use that word again) em! They aren't supporters and thats that. It's a major semi final ffs! If ticket sales are a worry then it's time to pack in and do as I've suggested.... sort a secret luncheon with Kilby and Shaw. We won't win the Prem again so cup competitions are nearest that we are likely to get to real success and the same goes for Villa too. If that does not turn enough people on then there are not enough people to support and fund the club period. I guess the TV and internet don't help but they won't go away and so the support base is obviously neither big enough nor strong enough and a 'new deal' needs to be considered. A Prem club cannot exist for the benefit of a few thousand stalwarts no matter how committed and fervent they are.

Tomorrows lineup should be interesting, as the pace and trickery of Young will be the key to stopping Villa (sans Milner)

That said I think Sam will play Jacobsen to balance this as he did well in the September game, that would allow Chimbonda to focus on the less pacy Downing.

As for midfield and attack its anyones guess!

I fancy we may go 4-5-1 though so expect N'Zonzi and Andrews to sit in the centre with Dunn playing off McCarthy/Di Santo/Roberts/Kalinic

We can be awesome one week and horrible the following week, its always been like that with Villa.

We are a bit like that.

We can be awful one week and then awful the next!

Seriously...not sure which Rovers will turn up. The one that knocked out Chelsea and beat you back in September or the one that got turned over by your nearest and dearest a few weeks back.

villa are a very different proposition than the team that you beat earlier this season.

The introduction of Downing has given us our best balance for a while but I think a lot will depnd on whether Milner is fit or not.

Do you think there is any chance that Fat Sam will actually try and play football tomorrow or will it be expert TM "defend, hoof it in the box, look for the knock down, score a scrappy goal" football?

<br />RARGH, I just had to buy non-refundable, non-transferable train tickets, didn't I?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Calm down mate im still outside ewood ( yeah its after 2AM) and its raining now and not freezing ..... YET looking good for the match being on so far so good

Need to get some shuteye starting work at 6 till 4.30 then rush home tea\changed be at rovers for 5.30 working in the d\e stand (paying special attention to the troublemakers sorry i mean singing group only kidding) then home by 11 long day and im doing weather updates lol

villa are a very different proposition than the team that you beat earlier this season.

The introduction of Downing has given us our best balance for a while but I think a lot will depnd on whether Milner is fit or not.

Do you think there is any chance that Fat Sam will actually try and play football tomorrow or will it be expert TM "defend, hoof it in the box, look for the knock down, score a scrappy goal" football?

Whichever Rovers team shows up will give Villa a Grade A beating. :rover:

Against Chelsea in the last round, we played Benni in the hole behind 2 strikers and created so much. I'd love to see those tactics again as we need to create, to score goals and take a lead to VP for the 2nd leg.

...........Robbo

Salgado Samba Nelsen Chimbonda

....Emerton.Nzonzi.Dunn

.........McCarthy

....Di Santo.Kalinic

Andrews and Roberts can stay at home!

Right so if those so called supporters that missed the Chelsea game miss this to then (Please don't use that word again) em! They aren't supporters and thats that. It's a major semi final ffs! If ticket sales are a worry then it's time to pack in and do as I've suggested.... sort a secret luncheon with Kilby and Shaw. We won't win the Prem again so cup competitions are nearest that we are likely to get to real success and the same goes for Villa too. If that does not turn enough people on then there are not enough people to support and fund the club period. I guess the TV and internet don't help but they won't go away and so the support base is obviously neither big enough nor strong enough and a 'new deal' needs to be considered. A Prem club cannot exist for the benefit of a few thousand stalwarts no matter how committed and fervent they are.

I understand the point of view but can't agree about the Kilby / Shaw bit. I think a large proportion of the core support from each club would be lost and it would not be possible to build a fan base of sufficient size. The only recent example of a "new" club being formed is MK Dons (unfortunate but can't be helped) who I think average 10,000 in an area with no real competition. How would your new Lancashire amalgamation do better when there is already huge local competition from established PL clubs? Would it for example be allowed to play in the PL initially? I think it's arguable the only way that could happen is if the new club retained it's current identity, Blackburn Rovers, and Kilby / Shaw aren't going to swallow that one.

John Williams has often argued the way forward is to deliver on the pitch. You agree with me we can't win the PL so the cups represent our only hope of glory, which ultimately is what sustains all fans, and I'm sure Williams would agree with this. This leaves us with two ambitions, the occassional decent result against a top four side, and a good cup run, aside from this the best we can hope for is some "entertaining / exciting" football. I appreciate Allardyce is / was the right choice for our current situation but he is not delivering decent football and has shown in the past he will not try to win games he thinks irrelevant. I happen to think Sam will give it a really good go tomorrow but it doesn't surprise me thousands think he won't and are therefore staying away. The fans didn't breed this attitude, the manager started it and the club have allowed it to grow.

Add to this an increasing number of fans who argue against people who hold my views that "we can't EXPECT to beat the top six" or "look how much they've invested" etc. All I ask is I can walk down Livesey Branch Road thinking we have a chance, to be allowed to EXPECT we can win. Tonight I'll wander down expecting to be cold, beaten and miserable - I didn't put in place the conditions and attitude that have created this feeling. I'm sure Williams knows this, in fact I know he has been clearly told it, we now need the manager to start changing things to help us believe. I think Allardyce's comments in the last few days are all to do with trying to boost ticket sales rather than any new found enthusiasm or change of heart on his behalf. If people are chosing to stay at home I'd say it has everything to do with expectation and it is the manager and club who have lowered expectations, tonight's gate may prove to be a reflection of this. One can argue all one likes the support doesn't "deserve" PL football, the problem with this approach is it is so desperately old-fashioned and completely ignores the modern world we live in. I find it very strange so many supporters are able to accept football is now a business and are prepared to see survival as success and then protest / harangue those who chose not to go as "not real fans." The views simply don't match up and show a lack of understanding of modern society and football. A general remark, not one aimed at yourself.

Having said all that I'll be hoping for a Chelsea performance and I'm planning to go to Villa Park.....though won't if we get stuffed tonight because I believe the manager won't try to win the second leg under that scenario.

PS - for the weather watchers it's currently snowing hard five miles west of Ewood. Forecats is for heavy snow from 06.00 clearing through the day and - 4c by 20.00.

Where's a good place to park? I normally park on the road at Infirmary Road but there is a big hill to get up on the way out. As back up I often use the field but clearly that will be like a skating rink

I don't know and never park in that area. I usually go on the Albion Mill car park but that has a very steep hill as the exit. It's always slow to clear at the best of times and will be chaos in the snow / ice if no one has cleared the road. I shall be parking a long way from the ground and walking, perhaps 20 minutes or more away, as I'd rather walk than risk getting stuck in a car park neare the ground.

Whats the latest on the weather in Blackburn?

There are no live cameras on the M65 after junction 2, which looks pretty clear at this point. I live quite close to junction 3 and the heavy snow which fell earlier doesn't seem to be a problem. This is a webcam on Blacburn College about 3 miles from ground. Looks OK at the moment. The big problem in the area is the M6 and M62. Northbound M6 currently closed around Haydock due to conditions and accident, southbound is down to about 1.5 lanes. Manchester airport closed. M62 round Croft Interchange looks grim. I have to go Knutsford and Altrincham today, should be there for 8.00am but I won't even think about setting out south till 11.00. Looks to me like the M6 between Preston and Manchester (both directions) is currently a no go area.

Hope that helps.

left home at 06.30 to go to my Liverpool Office and had to turn round and return home as the M6 Southbound is shut. Snowing heavily in Hoghton at present.

I have a ticket but will not be going out in this weather tonight. What TV channel is it on if the match does go ahead, and how can I get a refund on my ticket without going to Ewood pre-match?

Snowing heavily in Hoghton at present.

Seems it could be quite localised? I'm just a mile away from you as the crow flies and it's stopped!

Sounds like my decision to stay at home was right. Where is the M6 shut Mike?

Seems it could be quite localised? I'm just a mile away from you as the crow flies and it's stopped!

Sounds like my decision to stay at home was right. Where is the M6 shut Mike?

Hiya Paul,

Hoghton/Wheelton...like Blackburn/Burnley they are 2 different worlds! :blush:

M6 is shut at Standish. I normally get off onto the M58 or continue to the M62.

Just spoke to my missus who set off for Manchester as usual by car at 06.30 and she still has not arrived, she is heading into heavy snow.

Speaking to the landlord of the Fernhurst last night (who said the Villa fans did not wreck the place..."they wanted to have a try though") and he says that the police were not the ones in charge of any postponement decision...this has to be led by the local authority. Probably means they will discuss on Thursday and make a decision Friday. :rolleyes:

left home at 06.30 to go to my Liverpool Office and had to turn round and return home as the M6 Southbound is shut. Snowing heavily in Hoghton at present.

I have a ticket but will not be going out in this weather tonight. What TV channel is it on if the match does go ahead, and how can I get a refund on my ticket without going to Ewood pre-match?

It's on Sky Sports 1. Can't see it going ahead though, as many public access places are closed for the day here in Blackburn, including Blackburn College where I work. If it is on, you should ski over ;)

Who knows? I live by the Walton Summit M61/M65 junction and our problem will be getting out of our road as it has an incline. As has been said, it isn't the main roads that are the problem, but the side roads. We are lucky enough to be able to park in the BBE but for those who have to find other parking as several members of our party will have to it isn't going to be that easy.

If Villa fans can get to their coaches at Birmingham they shouldn't have a problem as there will be parking next to the ground for their coaches. It's our fans who will have more of a problem with the local weather, getting to the game.

Archived