BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa Semi Final Match Preview

So here we are, a mere week away from the biggest game of the season. With an ultra competitive league this year league success and prestige is a tall order, and in terms of european qualification probably impossible. Fortunately this is far from the case with the League Cup, and Rovers have a real chance of gaining a trophy, prestige and european qualification. Sure it'll be tough, but Rovers are capable of beating Villa, and when we perform at our best, we can give anyone a game, especially if their eyes are on bigger prizes. A trophy is not out of the question. But first things first, we need to beat Villa.

I don't think I need to talk much about the importance of the game. There's a 15 page thread on it, if people want to see just how much this means to us. Here's the link:

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php/topic/22408-weve-got-a-semi-thread-on/

Reflecting back on even since we've returned to the Prem this will be our 5th semi final in a cup competition. That's a very respectable haul.

I enjoyed playing Sheffield Wednesday over 2 legs. After a fairly quiet first leg and a handy lead, it exploded into life in the second leg at ewood, with rovers taking a comfortable two goal lead in the game itself, before trying to throw it away, first by Bjornbye's attempt to win the stupidest penalty conceeded award with a handball from a corner, then Flitty getting sent off. We still triumphed 4-2 on the night though and went on to win. Cole's one-two with Duff for his goal particularly stands out. One of my best nights as a rover that.

I recall the year after in the league cup semis loosing to manure over two legs. I remember Cole scoring to give us the lead at ewood park and thinking we're going to do this, before Scholes happened.

The Arsenal semi at cardiff was just one of frustration really - we just didn't have enough quality up front to hurt Arsenal, and we lost comfortably. The Todd-van Persie incident also sticks out as one of the game's highlights.

As for the Chelsea semi in the FA cup I'm still wondering how we didn't win that one. Key moments that stand out for me are Roberts scoring for the first time in ages and Pedersen somehow missing with that header which would've won us the game.

Against Villa we could see any of these emotions replicated. It will be a tough game but one that isn't beyond rovers to win. In fact we've already beaten them once, and in it played some excellent football, the type that shows it wasn't an undeserved result. The teams when we last met were as follows:

Us: Robbo, Jacobsen, Samba (Salgado) Nelsen, Chimbonda, Dunn, Grella, Pedersen, (Emerton) N'Zonzi, Diouf (Andrews) Di Santo

Villa: Friedel, Dunne, Cyellar, Warnock, Collins, Young, Milner, Delph (Heskey) Petrov, Carew, Abonglahor

Looking at the possible line ups and after scouring multiple news sources both teams will have to make several changes to the teams which could have a massive impact on the game.

Positive Changes:

The good news is that Rovers will be strengthened on the wings. Emerton was making his way back from a lengthy lay off when last we met, whereas his recent injury is far less serious (apparently he was in contention for the Sunderland game) and so he should be much fitter and have much more of an impact. Another improvement to the wings is Junior, who has pace and trickery which should cause Villa problems, especially against Cullear if deployed on the left. Whilst the Spaniard is doing wonders for my fantasy football team, he isn't the quickest of right backs and could struggle with Junior's trickery. The energy of both these players should be a welcome bonus, especially as the Villa side has energy in abundance. Added to all of this Pedersen seems to have hit a bit of form which could mean Emo drifts inside strengthening a rather weak central midfield.

Further good news for Rovers is that we have Kalinic who can play a part up front. I like the lad and the way he can fashion chances for himself, something which could be highly useful against a mean defensive side like Villa. Givet is a class act too and having him opens up a whole set of options in defence for Sam, whether to play speedier full backs or go for a defensively solid backline. Also Villa have Heskey injured, who has a tendency to score against us, so that's one less hoo-do for rovers to have to contend with.

Negative changes:

The bad news for Rovers is that both Grella and Dunn are most likely to be out. N'Zonzi and Andrews as a central midfield really doesn't compair. Don't get me wrong, I like N'Zonzi a lot but Grella's experience and better range of passing to me would be of more use to rovers. Additionally Dunn's creativity in the middle is irreplacable. Everyone on the board and their dog knows this, so I won't go on about it. Suffice to say we're missing a cracking player in the centre, who makes us tick.

This is made a more serious problem by Villa's strengthening in the centre of the park. Last time we played Delph had a pretty poor time of it, but with Downing now fully fit this means Milner can play in cm, which along with Petrov is a very dangerous passing duo in the centre of the park. I feel that a N'Zonzi-Grella combo could possibly manage them, or throwing Dunn in the centre would give them something to think about other than passing it to their rapid forwards, but I hold little hopes of an Andrews-N'Zonzi pairing keeping them under wraps. How Sam addresses this could be central to who wins the game.

The only other bad news is that Villa don't really have any injury problems. A tad frustrating really as they have a lot of class players, and players like Reo Coker and Sidwell on the bench who'd walk into our central midfield. But who said this was going to be easy?

Just to finish I've asked a Villa supporting mate a few questions about the game.

1) So you're currently in 4th in the premiership and in the semi finals of the league cup. Is this as good as expected at the start of the season or better?

I thought at the start of the season we would be able to give the bigger teams a good challenge this season but I honestly did not think we would be fourth, i thought fifth or sixth would be a good result at this stage. As for the cup we need a good cup run and I thought the league cup would be our best chance this year.

2) So how significant a game is this to the Villa fans and management? A good chance at major honours or a distraction from the quest for champions league football?

This match is a big one for all of Villa. Its been a long time since we had any sort of cup success so being in the semi finals is a major stage for the club. I hope that the management and players realise the significance and put the required effort in, im sure Martin O'Neill will be focussing on putting out the strongest team possible.

3) Who should rovers fear in the Villa line up? And are they likely to play?

I think the pace we have in attack is something that Rovers should watch out for. Agbonlahor, Young, Milner can all cause defences problems on the counter. I think they will all play.

4) You've got ligtening fast forwards/wingers some good target men, plenty of creativity in the midfield and a solid back four with a brilliant keeper. Sounds great. What are your weaknesses?

I think a smallish squad is a bit of a weakness. If we have injuries then the replacements for the team are not as strong. Villa also seem to suffer from lack of concentration sometimes. They might be on form one minute but come the end of the match they have switched off and the opposition can waltz through and score. This seems to have been worked on a bit this season but it still happens.

5) Who in the rovers team do you think Villa should be wary of?

Rovers have a good squad who can graft away and get the results, i think the result against chelsea proved that. I think Villa should watch out for I think players like Pederson, DIouf, Kalinic, Dunn can all prove problematic when they are on form, however i think Rovers are most dangerous when they are all grafting away as a team.

6) What effect will us hammering you in the league, or more probably the FA Cup game just days before, have on the game?

Villa do not take kindly to being beaten. I think the fact that you beat us in the league will still be in the back of our minds and will be motivation for us to come out and trounce you. I think the FA Cup match as well will increase the rivalry between the two teams. I think it will make the game a close hard fought affair on both sides. Im looking forward to it.

7) Finally can I have a probable line up and predicted score?

Predicted score 3-1 to Villa.

Line up:

Friedel,

Dunne, Warnock, Luke Young, Cuellar

Milner, Petrov, Downing, Ashley Young

Agbonlahor, Carew

My own prediction 2-1 rovers giving us the edge going into the second leg. It's a tough game but I've a feeling we'll step up to the occassion and get the win.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't wait for this, lets hope the same Rovers turn up that did against Chelsea! If they do then I can see us going through but of course it's going to be tough!

Villa are giving out free flags for the second leg, lets us the FANS make our own atmosphere (not taccy club issued american-ised rubbish) Our group of 6 are taking blue and white striped (retro) scarfs, if we all took something blue and white it would look fantastic and obviously be more imaginative than the staged crap at Villa. :brfc:

Too bad this isn't the second game, but this is it. This is where we have to shine. A win I feel is necessary, as we'll have trouble containing Villa at Villa park.

Everyone has to play at their best, Dunn and Emerton need to be back, BFS needs to have everyone 100% concentrated. Call me crazy but I think we can do it.

Wont be suprised if there is a massive non attendence for this after the last two performances.

No way. If people aren't excited about this game, even if our performances to date have not brought much hope, what's even the point in following football? It's our chance to go to a cup final.

No way. If people aren't excited about this game, even if our performances to date have not brought much hope, what's even the point in following football? It's our chance to go to a cup final.

Sorry Mr.E, the fans need optimism and over the past few weeks that optimism has been eroded away.

The fans dont see anyone to get them out of their seats. The managers style of play is becoming infuriating. Many want to see football played the right way.

You really shouldnt be suprised if the crowd is down for this one.

Wont be suprised if there is a massive non attendence for this after the last two performances.

ill go to the home leg, but if we dont win i bloody well aint going to the 2nd leg, and if the whole leg is like today the club can get stuffed (i dont mean that litterally) sam and the instructions he give are too feking negative, as a result we are lucky to be drawing games. i expect villa to go all out at ewood and if they lead going into the 2nd leg the will go london not us

Got mine last week and hardly any tix sold around me and when it was discussed yesterday the general consensus was I aint paying any extra to watch this @#/? ....hughsie FACT

I could understand that for the earlier rounds but it's a semi final FFS. I guarantee half of those not paying any extra would gladly be forking out for Wembley should we get there.

I think people have to take into account that it's Christmas time and a lot of peoples money will have gone on that. Come the end of this week, I expect a few more tickets to be sold. Having said that, I've bought mine but am still waiting for them to arrive.

Got mine last week and hardly any tix sold around me and when it was discussed yesterday the general consensus was I aint paying any extra to watch this @#/? ....hughsie FACT

Though thick & think Abbey like I said.....Its a Semi Final and therefore regardless of thier excuses, "SUPPORTERS" should be their to support their team, who are 1 step from Wembley - FACT

Il be there - as will all the lads that sit near to me (Although some of them havent yet got their tickets)

Just the diehards then. At least there wont be any booing.

Yeah makes me laugh - I always check the so called 'die hard' area of N01 - probably the least amount of tickets sold so far in there!

Though thick & think Abbey like I said.....Its a Semi Final and therefore regardless of thier excuses, "SUPPORTERS" should be their to support their team, who are 1 step from Wembley - FACT

Il be there - as will all the lads that sit near to me (Although some of them havent yet got their tickets)

Yeah makes me laugh - I always check the so called 'die hard' area of N01 - probably the least amount of tickets sold so far in there!

Obviously N02 is the diehard section;)

I ordered my tickets online late last Tuesday and they arrived Christmas Eve. Just over a day later.

Maybe they are getting them out fast just in case I changed my mind.

Trouble with this fixture is it's just after Christmas when everyone's skint; it's twenty squids each not the usual cup match tenner; there's a severe weather warning in place; the game is on Sky; and we made extremely hard work of drawing with a poor Sunderland team, at home.

...wait a minute, why AM I going?? :blink: Oh that's right, to support my team! :rover:

Hopefully there's a late surge as people get the bug, otherwise it could be embarrassing.

Prediction 2-1 Rovers to give us a nerve-jangling lead ahead of the return leg.

COYB :brfcsmilie:

Does make me smile that comment as it seems to be people in other area's of the ground that throw this comment up in the first instance, rather than those who are in N01. I am in N01 at the back and will be attending my 13th game this season in my seats, looking around me it does seem relatively populated albeit not the regular ST crowd but I can asure you many of the ST crowd do make it most games from what I see!

• Backroom

Not got mine yet but I'll be going, Peterborough and Chelsea were both far more enjoyable than most league games this season.

If we play anything like recetnly then I'll go for 3-1 Villa however our lads should be well up for it, lets just hope Sam lets them play some football as against Chelsea rather than our current brand of whatever it is.

Archived