BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa Semi Final Match Preview

I have tickets for the game tomorrow and was planning on traveling down from Cumbria - how are the roads around Ewood and coming in from the M6 J31? Even better if anyone has been over Shap today? Have to drive back after the game and I really dont fancy getting stick in the car over night! If the games not cancelled would there be any chance of a refund? Many thanks.

Dunno about round ewood, but made the trip back up to cumbria from lancs on sunday and the motorway was utterly fine all the way. Would be suprised if during the course of two days the A6/M6 becomes impassable. I'm planning on driving myself. As to the game, the more I think on it, Sam and Rovers have always produced when most needed, like Hull away and the taking back ewood games last season, plus Burnley game and Chelsea home in the last leg. Definately looking like a narrow win to rovers imo, although whether that'll be enough I'm not sure.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't people just let this "expert" quote go. It's getting tedious now. He said it in August! He is managing a team in the Premier League, a league which many feel is the best in the world. He has managed in all four divisions, got teams promoted, kept them up, got Bolton into Europe on a limited budget, kept us up on a limited budget after being adrift half way through the season, etc

Regardless of fans opinions about his tactics and style of play this does makes him an expert. Compared to supporters in the stands he is an expert. Let it go. You're like dogs with a bone!

• Backroom

Just been on the M65 its pretty bad and still coming down hard. I think it will go ahead but parking around Ewood may be hard work in this weather.

I think if it was to be called of it will be around midday to save people travelling.

No different from plaing Saturday and then Tuesday, though I agree the next game would be coming up very quickly.

If the Wigan game was able to go ahead I can't see any reason, at present, for postponing the game.

Partly agree but Villa would be getting the advantage of two extra days rest.

I went to Wigan and it's hard to see how conditions in the surrounding areas could be any worse tomorrow night.

Problem is it's a different set of authorities making the decision - a recent game at Preston was called off due to the state of surrounding areas.

Fingers crossed that the forecast is wrong or the decison makers aren't over cautious.

Despite all the negativity, I for one am still very excited about this game. With Dunn and Emerton we will look a different side. We can do it.

Me too - plus a refreshed Benni, Samba and Hoilett.

We need to take a lead from tomorrow ideally though.

edit

People get over excited. It snowed, it froze, Wear senssible clothing, drive slowly, end of problem. I shall park in a different place tomorrow to avoid a slippery hill. it's called commonsense.....................but most folk would rather bleat about Health and Safety and the council failure to spread grit.

Where's a good place to park? I normally park on the road at Infirmary Road but there is a big hill to get up on the way out. As back up I often use the field but clearly that will be like a skating rink

I want to walk away from Ewood saying to my son " That's the best £25 I've spent all week" ! What's my chances ?

I came away from the Chelsea game thinking it was the best £10 I'd EVER spent...

BBC's preview and manager video clips

I was beginning to wonder if this was the Met Office rather than a football semi-final discussion thread.

Have to laugh at the irony of this being linked from our message board:

"I've only been here for a year and were competing to go to one of the major finals in this country," he said.

1st leg:Rovers 4-0 Villa. 2nd leg: Villa 0-1 Rovers

Love it, Iceman!

Through all the pain, of watching up and unders im still remaining positive Jisty.

Good man. Although I don't know how you manage it reading all these wearying posts.

I'm sure you'll be there with us in spirit tomorrow night.

Just bought my Dad and I tickets.

We went on the Chelsea game together and being the atheist superstitious person I am, I like to repeat acts from past successes. That also means that my Rabbit Foot will be coming with me.

Years ago, I completed my dissertation on Existentialism. Despite being a largely favourable essay, I remember writing something along the lines of:

Existentialism refuses to accept the concept of luck and therefore I can confidently say that a true existentialist could never be a football fan

Back to reality, I am quietly confident about this tie having already beaten them at Ewood once this season. Although an obvious statement, I believe that the outcome of this tie will largely come down to how up for it Rovers are. If we take the game to them and look to play creative football we could very possibly take a lead back to defend at Villa Park.

Can't people just let this "expert" quote go. It's getting tedious now. He said it in August! He is managing a team in the Premier League, a league which many feel is the best in the world. He has managed in all four divisions, got teams promoted, kept them up, got Bolton into Europe on a limited budget, kept us up on a limited budget after being adrift half way through the season, etc

Regardless of fans opinions about his tactics and style of play this does makes him an expert. Compared to supporters in the stands he is an expert. Let it go. You're like dogs with a bone!

You've hit the nail on the head. Sam is an expert at managing football teams. He's kept a flawed Rovers squad at 13th (which should've been higher) and we're in a Cup semi. By any reasonable definition Sam has been performing at an acceptable level, using the benchmarks set by his peers in the profession (league and cup placing). Sam's expertise has been demonstrated repeatedly, the proof being that the Rovers are not in the worst position in the greatest football league in the world.

Hi guys. Villa fan here, making the journey up tomorrow, hoping it will be a cracking match.

1. Weather wise: How is it currently up there? The guy who runs Heroes & Villains, a Villa fanzine, is pretty well in with the club etc, he posted an update at 20.38pm saying that Blackburn were confident the game would still be going ahead. I think if your guys do the main job around the vicinity of Ewood Park i think it'll be ok. Looks like it will be dry tomorrow so hopefully it will clear it up a bit. Praying it'll be on to be honest, starved of silverware down at Villa Park!

2. On the game. Totally different kettle of fish to Saturday. We played a team with 6 regulars left out, you did the same. Depends which Aston Villa turn up to be honest. We can be awesome one week and horrible the following week, its always been like that with Villa. The only injury worries we have is James Milner who is struggling with a foot injury but i'd hazard a guess that he will be fine.

Anyway guys, may the best team win. Lets hope the weather gets a bit better and the game goes ahead and we see a cracker.

Cheers!

1. Weather wise: How is it currently up there? The guy who runs Heroes & Villains, a Villa fanzine, is pretty well in with the club etc, he posted an update at 20.38pm saying that Blackburn were confident the game would still be going ahead. I think if your guys do the main job around the vicinity of Ewood Park i think it'll be ok. Looks like it will be dry tomorrow so hopefully it will clear it up a bit. Praying it'll be on to be honest, starved of silverware down at Villa Park!

Well I've just looked out of my window onto Bolton Road, about 2 minutes from the ground and it's snowing fairly strongly. Been like this for over an hour now. First time I've read this thread today but I was quite concerned driving home about half an hour ago by the amount of snow on both sides of Bolton Road. Looking at the comments on the links, Rovers are obviously concerned about it and I can't see the council coming out and clearing it.

If I was betting on it at the moment I'd say OFF - mainly because of the weather and partly cos I can't make it next Thursday. :angry:

Guest Kamy100

Yeah there is heavy snow forecast tonight, the forecasts have been spot on thus far, so the snow should move away by the morning, the problem is the clearing of the snow, can't see the council doing it tomorrow, the police will make the call if the game goes ahead or not. I would suspect a decision would be made by 2-3pm at the latest so that Villa fans can be told before they set off.

Aah crap. Really gutted if its called off. Next Thursday will be a right rush for me too. Got a A Level History exam Thursday 14th at 1.15pm, finishing about 2.45/3pm. Hopefully can dash home and get sorted and depart for 4pm if the game is re-arranged for then. Still pinning my hopes on tomorrow's game going ahead.

Im outside the ground on Bolton Rd its stopped snowing now ive just been out to move my van main road is ok problem is the side streets in\out of ewood park they are compacted snow\ice from the weekend and the pavements are a nightmare

Something needs to be done about the side streets and pavements but dont hold your breath there have been more sightings of Madeleine McCann around here than a gritting wagon only plus side at the moment is that it dont seen to be as cold as last night though i think its to go down to - 4

Aah crap. Really gutted if its called off. Next Thursday will be a right rush for me too. Got a A Level History exam Thursday 14th at 1.15pm, finishing about 2.45/3pm. Hopefully can dash home and get sorted and depart for 4pm if the game is re-arranged for then. Still pinning my hopes on tomorrow's game going ahead.

is the history exam about the crusades?

Another problem is in bad weather rovers bring stewards in early to clear pathways carparks etc but as this is a night match and most of us have realworld jobs thats not an option tomorrow except for the student ones who dont go back till March ....

Broken Picture Frame said

Years ago, I completed my dissertation on Existentialism. Despite being a largely favourable essay, I remember writing something along the lines of:

Existentialism refuses to accept the concept of luck and therefore I can confidently say that a true existentialist could never be a football fan

Best post ever. Ever.

Just packed me thermals, flask, & survival kit for the 60-mile round journey.

I won't mind if we win, but otherwise I'll be so cheesed off. And cold.

Archived