BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan At Home - 27Th January 2010

cn174

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we'll see how much the optimism from last time pays off by measuring just how far away from the starting line up the following individuals are: Roberts, Pedersen, Andrews and Diouf. Maybe it's time we play with 11 men for once instead of wasting space with one or more of those, like BFS usually does.

i rekon we'll struggle with this game to be honest... wigan always seem to be a good hard game against us. i dont really give a monkeys what they did against chelsea or spurs its what happends on the night that matters and we all know the pie eaters can be tough

• Backroom

I'm confident going into this which is normally a bad sign. I'd go with

robbo

Jacobsen Nelsen Givet Chimbo

Emerton NZonzi Pedersen Olsson

Hoilett Kalinic

Sky Sports are reporting that Dunn has recovered 'from a knock'. He didnt sprain his wrist signing that new contract did he?!

If he plays I'd favour the following line-up (and I think we'll sorely miss Samba):

Robinson

Salgado Nelsen Givet Chimbonda

Emerton Nzonzi Dunn Olssen

Kalinic DiSanto

Wouldnt be surprised if Dunn is fit that Sam has him starting up front instead of DiSanto and Reid in midfield alongside Nzonzi, as he does.

Sky Sports are reporting that Dunn has recovered 'from a knock'. He didnt sprain his wrist signing that new contract did he?!

If he plays I'd favour the following line-up (and I think we'll sorely miss Samba):

Robinson

Salgado Nelsen Givet Chimbonda

Emerton Nzonzi Dunn Olssen

Kalinic DiSanto

Wouldnt be surprised if Dunn is fit that Sam has him starting up front instead of DiSanto and Reid in midfield alongside Nzonzi, as he does.

I'd prefer Reid in midfield instead of DiSanto up front, provided we play along the floor. Dunn as 2nd striker is his best role. If he doesnt play, I'd have Reid in his place in your formation.

I think N'zonzi neeeds a rest

Robinson

Salgado-Nelsen-Givet-Chimbonda

Emerton-Reid-Dunn-Pedersen

Di Santo-Kalinic

Subs: Brown, Olsson, N'zonzi, Andrews, Hoilett, Diouf, Roberts

Olsson should definitely start though, so I could see him playing instead of Salgado, Pedersen or Di Santo depending on how we line up. I have a feeling Sam will want to play Emerton and Pedersen though.

I'd go with this line-up:

Robinson

Emerton, Nelsen, Givet, Chimbonda

Hoilett, Dunn, Reid, Pedersen, Olsson

Kalinic

Playing the pacey Hoilett and Olsson on the flanks should enable them to get up and support the impressive Kalinic. Add to the fact having three midfielders in central areas who can all get forward should provide us good attacking options. Pedersen actual played half decent in the first half against Villa with him making runs forward from central areas.

With Dunn back in good graces (and Benni gone), I'm think we're back to a 4-4-1-1:

---------------Kalinic

----------------Dunn

Olsson-----Pedersen----NZonzi-----Emerton

Givet------Jones------Nelsen----Chimbonda

---------------Robinson

We still win, 3-1.

Preston Hairdresser twisting the knife:

Blackburn v Wigan

Blackburn are under a bit of pressure at the moment. However, their last home Premier League game was a 2-0 win over Fulham, so that should offer some encouragement to Sam Allardyce and his side.

At the risk of boring everyone to death, you are never quite sure what sort of Wigan performance to expect.

They were absolutely atrocious against Notts County in the first half, but pulled it back to force a replay.

I think Blackburn's physical and aerial presence will be too good for Wigan but it will be interesting to see what sort of crowd numbers we will see at Ewood Park. They have been poor of late.

Verdict: 2-1

During a BBC podcast last week, they interviewed him about Preston. He was saying how difficult it was for all the NW teams in terms of vying for supporters. He rattled off every team in the NW except Rovers. Idiot!

did not know where to put this so decided here can someone please clarify from the premiership the top 4 qualify for champs league how many teams below that go into the Europa league?. Cos according to Uefa 3 teams qualify for europa league so is it the top 7 go into europe?. Winners of the FA & Carling cup are there extra places? or how does it work? thanks sorry if I seem to be asking the obvious.

did not know where to put this so decided here can someone please clarify from the premiership the top 4 qualify for champs league how many teams below that go into the Europa league?. Cos according to Uefa 3 teams qualify for europa league so is it the top 7 go into europe?. Winners of the FA & Carling cup are there extra places? or how does it work? thanks sorry if I seem to be asking the obvious.

quoted from wiki.

As of the 2009–10 season qualification for the UEFA Champions League changes, the top four teams in the Premier League qualify for the UEFA Champions League, with the top three teams directly entering the group stage. Previously only the top two teams qualified automatically. The fourth-placed team enters the Champions League at the play-off round for non-champions and must win a two-legged knockout tie in order to enter the group stage.[18] The fifth team automatically qualifies for the UEFA Europa League, and the sixth and seventh-placed teams can also qualify, depending on the winners of the two domestic cup competitions. If one of the cup winners qualifies for Europe through their league position, the sixth-placed team in the Premier League will qualify for the Europa League. If both of the cup winners qualify for Europe through their league position, the sixth and seventh-placed teams in the Premier League will qualify for the Europa League. A further place in the UEFA Europa League is available via the Fair Play initiative. If the Premier League has one of the three highest Fair Play rankings in Europe, the highest ranked team in the Premier League Fair Play standings which has not already qualified for Europe will automatically qualify for the UEFA Europa League first qualifying round

Haven't read back to see if this has been mentioned but there is one big dilemma for tonight. Given that benny's gone / going and Dunns injured then are we to see...

1. SA change formation to suit the available players. i.e. Di Santo partnering Kalinic up front.

or

2. SA give Hoillett a chance in his favourite position playing in the hole behind the striker?

Whatever we do we are now entering an absolutely critical part of the season which if we get wrong would easily see us go 'down with the Burnley'.

Best possible result for tonight….Rovers win, Eveton & Sunderland draw & Birmingham get battered! It would take us level 9th with Fulham & Everton

It would also add pressure to Everton for Saturday V Wigan as after that they face Liverpool, Chelsea & United

Archived