BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan At Home - 27Th January 2010

cn174

It is a little under a month since we last met at the JJB. Hopefully everyone has recovered from trying to walk across the ice sheet of a carpark. Whether people have recovered from some of our performances in the meantime is another matter. Unfortunately my plan for this preview has gone a bit to pot, so you’ll have to make do with what I’ve thrown together.

Rovers-fans-happiness-o-meter

A lot has happened since we last played Wigan, very little has been that good. As I have been making silly graphs half of the day for work, I thought I'd carry on and make a Rovers graph. A bit more happening in the positive part of the graph wouldn't go a miss!!

roversgraph.jpg

Wigan at Home

Home games against Wigan have generally been decent affair, in fact we are still unbeaten.

I don’t remember the cup tie from 1986 but I do remember the FA Cup game from 1998. It was personally a big game for me and my Latics supporting friend as it was the first game we’d ever played against each other (that we could remember anyway). Mossy was convinced that Wigan were going to turn us over, but he was wrong as Rovers won 4-2. Here is the match report that Lee wrote, which is still available thanks to the Wayback Machine.

Blackburn Rovers strolled into the fourth round of the FA Cup with a convincing victory over hardworking Wigan Athletic. Rovers started slowly but took the lead after twenty minutes, when a great run and cross by Jeff Kenna was turned into his own net by Wigan defender Pat McGibbon - although initially it was credited to Chris Sutton.

From that moment, the result was never in doubt as Rovers strolled about Ewood Park with great confidence.

Towards the end of the first half, Kevin Gallacher was found unmarked on the edge of the area and chipped the Wigan 'keeper to give Rovers a 2-0 lead at half time.

In the second half, Rovers were quickly on the score sheet again, Tim Sherwood placing a delightful shot into the top corner of the goal.

Rovers were in total control and were toying with their Lancashire rivals, and it was no surprise after 60 minutes that they made it four - Superb work by my man of the match Damien Duff saw him run rings round a couple of defenders to whip in great cross which was deflected into his own goal by a Wigan defender - but strangely, this time the goal was credited to Kevin Gallacher.

Rovers were quickly dealt a double blow - impressive Frenchmen Patrick Valery, making his first start for three months slipped on the wet turf and Blackburn fan David Lee chased away to tuck the ball past the outstretched arm of Tim Flowers.

Almost from the kick-off David Lee was released down the right and he whipped in a cross for David Lowe to add another goal for Wigan.

After that Wigan huffed and puffed, but they couldn't break through, and Rovers comfortably played out the final twenty minutes to progress into the next round.

Rovers lined up: Flowers; Kenna, Hendry, Henchoz, Valery; Ripley (sub Bohinen - sub Beattie), Sherwood, Flitcroft, Duff; Gallacher (sub Wilcox), Sutton. Subs not used: T. Pedersen, Fettis.

What we’d give now for a midfield of Ripley, Sherwood, Flitcroft and Duff!!

2005/2006: Jason Roberts opened the scoring for Wigan (wish he'd go back!). Shefki Kuqi scored a controversial goal late on to equalise for Rovers. Reid crossed the ball in, Lucas Neill barged into Filan who fumbled the ball for Shef to slot it home.

2006/2007: Things started badly when Emile Heskey (is sh!t my Lord!) put Wigan ahead after two minutes. Thankfully Bentley scored just before half time before Benni scored the winner thanks to Roberts tapping it round an out-rushing Kirkland.

2007/2008: Roque Santa Cruz had his scoring boots on again, scoring his 14th and 15th of the season. Samba was sent off after fouling Heskey. Roberts scored the middle goal for Rovers.

2008/2009: In the first of the 'taking back Ewood' games last season Ryan Nelsen scored his first goal for Rovers after 140 appearances for the club. Benni scored his 12th goal of the season.

2009/2010: Rovers win 3-0 :D

COME ON YOU BLUES!!!

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great preview! Can we have extensions to the graph for the rest of the season please?? rover.gif

As for the game ... please build on the Fulham win and the 4 goals scored last Wednesday.

The players can play football and score goals - they just need permission to do so.

On the plus side, Wednesday is pay day and it's been a long time since the last one, so I'll see you in Blues Bar!!

I thought we were magnificent in defeat at Villa, first time I've felt proud of the team in a very very long time - probably since things started souring slightly under Sparky.

It just shows what we're capable of when we give it a real go.

Here's to more of the same on Wednesday night and if we do get at Wigan from the first whistle like at Villa Park we should be celebrating 3 points soon after.

(Assuming no more rash sending offs or refereeing calamities)

Olsson and Kalinic must start. They've been absolote revelations recently.

The question is, which mode is Sam going to be in ?

1. The Sam who threw caution to the wind and attacked Villa because we had nothing to lose by doing so, or

2. The Sam who sees ekeing out vital league points and survival in the Prem as a grim business and sets up his team accordingly.

I think we all know the answer !

Another of the games we must win before end of February. Three points on Wednesday night could put us at least eight points clear of the bottom five clubs and five points clear of Wigan who have two games in hand. I expect we will win, I suspect the entertainment factor will be very low.

Brilliant preview and the Rovers-fans-happiness-o-meter graphically portrays what I'd been thinking.

Boy oh boy has Sam had a low hurdle to jump to save his skin

- a 2-0 win against an injury-ravaged Fulham

- conceding 10 in aggregate, losing all 3 and getting dumped out of two Cups by the Villa including 3 halves of rubbish football

- 12,000 down on the average gate across a vital relegation scrap and a cup semi-final.

It is only Wigam so expectations on Wednesday evening are for an easy Rovers win in style.

Make no mistake about it but Wigan are well capable of coming to Ewood and turning us over- they have recorded a number of comfortable wins at grounds of opponents sitting in the sort of league position we are in now.

If we screw up or Sam plays keep it tight (with our 50 goals let in already defence!) for an hour 4-5-1 football, the shallowness of Sam's revival will become all too apparent.

This is a much bigger game for Rovers and for Sam than it appears. We should win so we had better do so in style.

Rovers 3 Wigan 1

Perhaps Ruben will complete his £7m move to Wigan in time to face us?Chances are one or two Wigan players will be motivated by playing their last games for Wigan before leaving.

I thought we were magnificent in defeat at Villa, first time I've felt proud of the team in a very very long time - probably since things started souring slightly under Sparky.

It just shows what we're capable of when we give it a real go.

Olsson and Kalinic must start. They've been absolote revelations recently.

Agreed with that - a big improvement & something which proves just what we can do....

Olsson & Kalinic must start, especially when Givet is likely to be centre back. We will miss Samba, but hopefully not too much!

Another of the games we must win before end of February. Three points on Wednesday night could put us at least eight points clear of the bottom five clubs and five points clear of Wigan who have two games in hand.

2 big games this week - Bolton v Dingles & Pompey v West Ham

Followed by Hull v Wolves at weekend.

If we do our job & pick up at least 3 points from our next 2 games then we should pull clear of a couple of teams. 6 points would be amazing (considering our record at West Ham).

Great preview, Clare.

Wigan are a pretty erratic side, and with home advantage I think we'll be aight here. Sam has to take the positives from the Villa game forward and keep faith in the players playing for the shirt. If he starts playing Swap Shop again, we're never gonna have a settled side.

The next MUST WIN game for Rovers.

It will be difficult but Rovers should just have enough to take out our pie eating friends from over the border.

BTW, any chance of some donations. Been looking at a 2 week self catering for KA and have found one for £190. That will ensure that he doesnt take a squad place for the next 3 games !!

Love the happy meter.

Jacobsen, is he not still injured, i know there was a game (90 min) behind closed doors, where JR came through the full session :( hopefully it's no further than the bench for him.

i was thinking..

........................Robbo

Emerton...Nelson..Givet...Chimbo

..................Reid,,,N'Zonzi

Hoilett................................Olsson

.............Kalinic....Di santo

Love the happy meter.

Jacobsen, is he not still injured, i know there was a game (90 min) behind closed doors, where JR came through the full session :( hopefully it's no further than the bench for him.

Roberts & Diouf were both taken off at half time

Great preview, the happy meter is great! :lol:

Massive game and one that we should be going all out to win. I would probably pick:

Robbo

Emerton

Nelsen

Givet

Chimbonda

Hoilett

Reid

N'Zonzi

Olsson

Kalinic

Di Santo

Samba's suspension allows Givet to play in the centre (his best position). Olsson could play left back but i would rather play him on the wing where he looks far more effective. With Jacobsen being injured or doubtful i think Emerton should play at right back and would link up well with Hoilett especially on the overlap.

With Hoilett and Olsson on the wings we have some serious pace, N'zonzi and Reid can be the battlers in the central midfield by breaking up play and distributing it to the wingers.

Kalinic is now the main man if you create chances for him he will score goals. I'd like to see Di Santo play alongside him, with Roberts and Benni both possibly leaving it would be a good idea to see if Niko and Franco can form a partnership.

Going for a 2-0 win :brfc:

I'd be happy with that team Ribble, although I'd be tempted to start Ped's in the middle since we're at home.

A good in your face attacking (on the floor) start and a quick goal and I can see wigan crumbling. They've been so hit and miss that I feel yet again its the best way to start this game.

Start like we did against Villa and we'll win, with comfort. Back to the usual and I think we'll need lady luck.

Team for me:-

-------------------Kalinic----Di Santo

Olsson--------Pedersen----NZonzi-----Emerton

Chimbonda------Givet------Nelsen----Jacobsson

-----------------------Robinson

Subs:- Brown, Jones, Salgado, Reid, Grella, Dunn, Hoilett

1-1 Rovers.

edited post Benni on SSN.....

We need some strikers!

The question is, which mode is Sam going to be in ?

1. The Sam who threw caution to the wind and attacked Villa because we had nothing to lose by doing so, or

2. The Sam who sees ekeing out vital league points and survival in the Prem as a grim business and sets up his team accordingly.

I think we all know the answer !

Yep, anyone looking for the Villa team selection and approach will be disappointed methinks.

I think we'll win comfortably on Weds and I'll go 3-0 (scorers - depends on what players we still have)!

I have to admit, I briefly considered not coming along and watching the Manc derby instead. I've put that out of my mind now but a bottle of vino watching a cracking game on TV over travelling back to a freezing Ewood for a bit of "gerr into em" was a tough call!

wigna have lost kirkland

How did they manage that?

I have to admit, I briefly considered not coming along and watching the Manc derby instead. I've put that out of my mind now but a bottle of vino watching a cracking game on TV over travelling back to a freezing Ewood for a bit of "gerr into em" was a tough call!

Closet Red or Blue?

Id rather watch Rovers v Accy than those two if it meant I get to watch my team.

Archived