BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Mall Extention

However your views on Blackburn's population fluxes are wide of the mark- and you know that. Without going into Blackburn's population changes to say 'we got lucky' would not be the viewpoint you would get on the doorstep. Do you seriously believe that without 60s immigration Blackburn's population would now be at 60,000?

Yes, I stand by my argument that Blackburn (and East Lancs in general) "dodged the de-population bullet" when it became a destination for immigrants in the 50/60s. It doesn't matter if two-bit pundits and bar-fly politicians agree with what has happened or not ... If you want an example of what could have happened to Blackburn without the new arrivals look no further than Merthyr Tydfil in Wales. Merthyr was also an example of a 19th century inland population bubble ... and like Blackburn was a one trick pony (well actually two ... coal and iron) that had no plan B when the bubble popped. It's population peaked at just above 80,000 early last century, but is now down at 30,000. The difference was that Merthyr did not attract an immigrant influx ... and as I stressed in my earlier post a town with a declining population is a 'dead man walking'.

I enjoy living at 750ft above sea-level with views from my property that I never tire of. Only a very small percentage of the inhabitants of these islands live at or above this altitude and usually in isolated places far from any amenities. And yet within a four mile radius of my property I have access to a brand new fully equipped hospital, I can get almost any food I want from M&S/Sainsburys, I can go to the cinema/bowling/ice-skating, I can buy most fashion labeled clothing I need ... and perhaps most importantly I can watch premier League football. All these things are only possible because of the market created by a population ... and remember markets are colour-blind.

BwD has 140,000 people, East Lancashire is 500,000, Burnley aside Blackburn is the big hitter of an area that has the popluation to make Blackburn thrive, places like Accrington, the Ribble Valley, Haslingden etc have been associated with us for generations- however you ask residents of those areas their opinion of the place and you are more often than not met with derision and they would scoff if you told them to shop here.

Simply down to geography. The reason we appear to be more parochial in East Lancs is the fact that we tend to live within inward-facing valleys ... another of the quirks that makes it such a 'visually interesting' place to live.

A lack of work and outside investment is the death of a town, there are towns with populations smaller than Blackburn that are booming- unfortunately a business looking to choose a locaton in modern day Lancs would not (usually) pick Blackburn, but Preston or its suburbs- business parks are springing up all over- Bamber Bridge, Fulwood, Red Scar etc.

Check-out Guide. Good connections to the motorway network and (excuse me for using the phrase again ... but i passionately believe should give us the edge over the generic places you mentioned) a far more 'visually interesting' place to work. I work over on the Fylde, and boy am I glad to get back to a proper 3-D environment in the evening.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I stand by my argument that Blackburn (and East Lancs in general) "dodged the de-population bullet" when it became a destination for immigrants in the 50/60s. It doesn't matter if two-bit pundits and bar-fly politicians agree with what has happened or not ... If you want an example of what could have happened to Blackburn without the new arrivals look no further than Merthyr Tydfil in Wales. Merthyr was also an example of a 19th century inland population bubble ... and like Blackburn was a one trick pony (well actually two ... coal and iron) that had no plan B when the bubble popped. It's population peaked at just above 80,000 early last century, but is now down at 30,000. The difference was that Merthyr did not attract an immigrant influx ... and as I stressed in my earlier post a town with a declining population is a 'dead man walking'.

I enjoy living at 750ft above sea-level with views from my property that I never tire of. Only a very small percentage of the inhabitants of these islands live at or above this altitude and usually in isolated places far from any amenities. And yet within a four mile radius of my property I have access to a brand new fully equipped hospital, I can get almost any food I want from M&S/Sainsburys, I can go to the cinema/bowling/ice-skating, I can buy most fashion labeled clothing I need ... and perhaps most importantly I can watch premier League football. All these things are only possible because of the market created by a population ... and remember markets are colour-blind.

Simply down to geography. The reason we appear to be more parochial in East Lancs is the fact that we tend to live within inward-facing valleys ... another of the quirks that makes it such a 'visually interesting' place to live.

Check-out Guide. Good connections to the motorway network and (excuse me for using the phrase again ... but i passionately believe should give us the edge over the generic places you mentioned) a far more 'visually interesting' place to work. I work over on the Fylde, and boy am I glad to get back to a proper 3-D environment in the evening.

ES your loyalty and dedication really is admirable. :tu:

ES, Blackburn would not have decreased Merthyr style, as a town it is close enough to the rest of the region to avoid such a fate. Wigan has declined post 60s, however it has not had a rapid population decline- due to it's similar location.

Working up Guide sounds great, I agree Bamber Bridge and the others I mentioned are lifeless- I should know I have worked there, however sentiment about our valleys and hills gets you nowhere in business.

Keep calling east Lsncs people insular all you want, but up to 10 years ago people from across the whole of (old) Lancashire flocked to Blackburn at day and night. I have met people on nights out that visited from Bury, Warrington, Lancaster and so on. Times change, peoples tastes change,, however Blackburn has sank bloody fast, to the stage the people of the borough go elsewhere nevermind those from outside.

You should recognise this decline, as I have recognised (though late) that the powers that be are attempting to improve the place.

ES, Blackburn would not have decreased Merthyr style, as a town it is close enough to the rest of the region to avoid such a fate.

But the rest of the region (East Lancs) is in the same boat ... had the same problems... and the same accidental solutions.

Wigan has declined post 60s, however it has not had a rapid population decline- due to it's similar location.

Wigan is not only on the Main North-South Line ... it is also on the East-West line connecting the two big North West conurbations. As they say Location, location, location.

But the rest of the region (East Lancs) is in the same boat ... had the same problems... and the same accidental solutions.

Wigan is not only on the Main North-South Line ... it is also on the East-West line connecting the two big North West conurbations. As they say Location, location, location.

This is a silly game, so if Wigan had a train route like ours it would now be resembling Merthyr? Come off it!

This is a silly game, so if Wigan had a train route like ours it would now be resembling Merthyr? Come off it!

Ok I can see you are having trouble with this idea ... so yes, if you were to pluck Wigan from it's current location and drape it over either the Welsh valleys or the West Pennine Moors then it would suffer from the same issues as both Merthyr and Blackburn. In the case of Blackburn the inevitable loss of population (and hence services) due to the disappearance of it's prime 'raison d'etre' industry has been compensated by an infux of immigrants who think East Lancashire is Shangri La compared to where they (or their families) have come from. It is this section of our community which gives us statistics like 'the 2nd largest teenage population (per capita) in Britain' ... which greatly interests marketing people. The future can be bright.

Ok I can see you are having trouble with this idea ... so yes, if you were to pluck Wigan from it's current location and drape it over either the Welsh valleys or the West Pennine Moors then it would suffer from the same issues as both Merthyr and Blackburn. In the case of Blackburn the inevitable loss of population (and hence services) due to the disappearance of it's prime 'raison d'etre' industry has been compensated by an infux of immigrants who think East Lancashire is Shangri La compared to where they (or their families) have come from. It is this section of our community which gives us statistics like 'the 2nd largest teenage population (per capita) in Britain' ... which greatly interests marketing people. The future can be bright.

However, as the Asian population increaes the white population decreases, therefore Blackbun's population remains static. A large amount of young people in a town means nothing but unemployment and job migration elsewhere if businessess from within the town or out are not seeing Blackburn as a base.

However, as the Asian population increaes the white population decreases, therefore Blackbun's population remains static. A large amount of young people in a town means nothing but unemployment and job migration elsewhere if businessess from within the town or out are not seeing Blackburn as a base.

I'd say the Asian population will slowly integrate with the white population, and if they do, become the more prominent ones in town, it will only be because they are the more pro active ones in the community which will leave the white boys with two alternatives either shape up or ship out because Blackburn cant afford to carry the idle, unwilling or incapable ones amongst us.

Going back to the Mall just bought a white long sleeved cotton shirt for £4. Question is when its dirty bearing in my mind my carbon footprint, do I, wash it or throw it away and buy another.

Originally brought up in Blackburn.

You don't need to defend yourself sambo, if Rovers can't count on fans from places like Clayton we are buggered!

ps TCO, I am assuming you are referring to my comment, merely mentioning Blackburn's Asian population in a thread does not make it a bigoted discusson, such reactions cause more problems than they solve.

• Backroom

Nah Matty I believe your post had merit but I was just hoping the whole conversation wouldn't go down that route.

As you say wad probably best to say nothing on my part

.......In the case of Blackburn the inevitable loss of population (and hence services) due to the disappearance of it's prime 'raison d'etre' industry has been compensated by an infux of immigrants who think East Lancashire is Shangri La compared to where they (or their families) have come from. It is this section of our community which gives us statistics like 'the 2nd largest teenage population (per capita) in Britain' ... which greatly interests marketing people. The future can be bright.

Doesn't interest me one bit ES. Low margin outlets like '£' shops, bazaars, second hand PS games shops etc will neither attract me nor worse still will prove an attraction to investment from the type of shops that would improve the town centre. It's a slippery slope.

The pillock who wrote this should get their facts right and see that parking fees in Blackburn are a lot cheaper than they are in Preston or Manchester plus there are several more free parking spaces in and around Blackburn town centre.

It winds me up when some local person writes an inaccurate letter, then even more damming when the local numpty paper prints it, its a double kick in the teeth for Blackburn from what should be supporters of the town.

Wonder just what the 'in now' top end brand PANDORA (one for you Thenodrog ;) ) reasons must have been for opening their latest store in Blackburn Mall mmmmmmmmmmm.

No. But I do see why you might think that. :D

The sad fact remains that Blackburn has orchestrated it's own demise because commercial nous has been non-existent. Too late now cos the town is dead in the water.

See I have been paying attention. ;)

I don't think Blackburn's reputation is irrepairable but it's going to be a lot of hard work.

The nightlife in Blackburn needs a serious boost. With the expansion of Blackburn College, we are going to have a lot of students in the not too distant future (if they can afford the fees) so this could well regenerate the place.

My biggest beef with the town centre is the types of shops. Nothing but mobile phone and clothes shops. But in fairness, this seems to be the same template for all of these modern Flat-pack-Arndale-Mall-type-places. I'm looking forward to the new market opening though. This could well give the place a lot more character.

Went Preston today. Deepdale in fact. Was sat in traffic for 20 mins then had to drive round the car park for 20 mins to find a space.

Only went to take my young brother to toys r us. A shop I believe would be perfect for Blackburn.

My wife found herself in Blackburn today as she wanted something from John Lewis. She was completely unaware of the Mall extension and thought it a great improvement.

As for Deepdale always best to avoid at the weekends and around Christmas as the traffic is a nightmare.

Only went to take my young brother to toys r us. A shop I believe would be perfect for Blackburn.

Obviously not an opinion shared by the number crunchers at Toys r Us SAS or we'd have one.

I'd guess that they would love to know how to justify the cost of staying at the Deepdale centre by creating similar queues for the remaining 10 months of the year rather than opening a new store 10 miles away in a town that is dying on it's feet through being both consumer and shopkeeper unfriendly.

As for Deepdale always best to avoid at the weekends and around Christmas as the traffic is a nightmare.

The biter bit Paul. Preston's traffic problem is probably the price of success.

The price of success is I rarely go to Deepdale because of the traffic and parking. If I'm able to go mid week, rare, then I do. The Reebok is generally far more convenient.

10 miles away in a town that is dying on it's feet through being both consumer and shopkeeper unfriendly.

The broken old record keeps turning and turning but never answers the question as to why he continues to live in the town he hates so much.

Archived