BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Mall Extention

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First I've heard of the Tithebarn project JAL, whats the idea?

Go google

Obese Pig & Secretary of State for Communities & Local Government is due to grunt his decision on 24th November.

I heard years ago a Harvey Nicholls was going to be built next to the bus station in Preston, is that cobblers?

With this project its highly possible.

John Lewis is another being muted, how ironic though if ever a John Lewis store should locate in Lancashire surely it has to be as one of the founder names of Rovers here in Blackburn.

.... In fact the Trafford Centre is great for it's dining options alone.

Used to be OK (for convenience only mind and not quality) but read the menu's outside and you'll be dismayed to find that it's all hallal meat that is used in those restaurants now. I have to admit that The Trafford Centre is off my radar for food now Tom.

The main shopping centre in town run by "The Mall" is probably as good as it can get given the demographic, size of the town, etc - the real challange is for the rest of the town centre to follow that lead and raise the general standard of shops/appearance through private investment. If every person from Blackburn shopped there, you can bet it would be a lot better than it is right now as more shoppers/sales = better shops = more shoppers/sales

Regarding the Preston development..

The developer actually dropped out sometime ago. Personally don't see it happening. Certainly not in the next few years.

The media are certainly running the story as though it will happen.

Don't forget the developers also dropped out of the Blackburn scheme.

Originally a 50/50 split between Grosvenor Estates (Duke Of Westminsters mob) and Lend Lease (Aussie prop developers). Grosvenor pulled out a year or so ago, so it is likely a scale down version would be the outcome, depening on further investors getting involved.

Our Mall and Preston's Tithebarn are on borrowed time anyway. The rise of online shopping is making the superstores sit up and take notice.

Preston cocked up their town centre by shoving their ring road through the centre. It's bad enough now, so will be unmanageable when their new development opens. Blackburn needs to finish its own inner ring road and get rid of cars from the Boulevard.

Our Mall and Preston's Tithebarn are on borrowed time anyway. The rise of online shopping is making the superstores sit up and take notice.

Preston cocked up their town centre by shoving their ring road through the centre. It's bad enough now, so will be unmanageable when their new development opens. Blackburn needs to finish its own inner ring road and get rid of cars from the Boulevard.

If ALL women decide that online shopping is the way to shop for them, then i'd buy that statement. But will women prefer to sit at home totally bored rather than going out looking, trying on clothes etc., have my doubts.

You mean the one that was designed and implemented in 1967? Don't hold your breath wily.... a single, shabby derelict eyesore of a building has brought it's completion to a dead stop. :rolleyes:

With an impossible traffic situation, no park and ride and Blackburn's determination to employ ranks of ravenous Traffic Wardens who appear to have an ongoing and vicous campaign to target motorists any objections by the council to the Tithebarn project are just empty words. Blackburns attitude towards motorists is horrible and especially as most would know that as a rule people with cars generally have more money to spend. The dullards in the council who resent anybody with wealth won't have worked that one out yet. If that ring road had been finished in the 70's maybe Blackburn would be the shopping destination of many instead of the town for shoppers to avoid at all costs that it is now.

You mean the one that was designed and implemented in 1967? Don't hold your breath wily.... a single, shabby derelict eyesore of a building has brought it's completion to a dead stop. :rolleyes:

With an impossible traffic situation, no park and ride and Blackburn's determination to employ ranks of ravenous Traffic Wardens who appear to have an ongoing and vicous campaign to target motorists any objections by the council to the Tithebarn project are just empty words. Blackburns attitude towards motorists is horrible and especially as most would know that as a rule people with cars generally have more money to spend.

maybe Blackburn would be the shopping destination of many instead of the town for shoppers to avoid at all costs that it is now.

:tu:

Come on Theno, the councils attack or attitude towards the motorist was something that was implemented about 10 years ago to generate extra revenue. I think your still thinking back to then rather than seeing forward to today and what is actually happening. Now its a lot more relaxed what with there being EXTRA FREE parking in and around the town centre these days.

If anyone is parking in a loading bay spot or on double yellows and not displaying a parking ticket in a designated must do area, then of course they should be punished, i've no sympathy whatsoever with anyone abusing it when there are SEVERAL FREE short term parking spaces in and around town.

Tell me you wasnt in town this afternoon using one of these free parking spaces please ;)

:tu:

Come on Theno, the councils attack or attitude towards the motorist was something that was implemented about 10 years ago to generate extra revenue. I think your still thinking back to then rather than seeing forward to today and what is actually happening. Now its a lot more relaxed what with there being EXTRA FREE parking in and around the town centre these days.

If anyone is parking in a loading bay spot or on double yellows and not displaying a parking ticket in a designated must do area, then of course they should be punished, i've no sympathy whatsoever with anyone abusing it when there are SEVERAL FREE short term parking spaces in and around town.

Tell me you wasnt in town this afternoon using one of these free parking spaces please ;)

[/quotete]

JAL I got ticketed twice quite wrongly and about 2 months apart. Both were totally unfair with one imo a definite trap. I wrote to explain the latter but I discovered my appeal had been overruled out of hand and without me receiving any correspondence whatsoever until three weeks later I did get a letter informing me that the fine was now double!

I phoned for an explanation and was told that I had been sent a letter 3 weeks earlier and that it must have been lost in the post. I requested they send another copy of their correspondence as I had not received the original and if I agreed with the reasons for overturning my appeal then I would pay the fine. Three weeks later and with still no correspondence from the council I did get another letter informing me that my penalty fine had gone up to £75 and the bailiffs would be on their way to my place of work soon. I paid, and that has been my parting gift, I have been into Blackburn centre fewer times than I have been to the Millenium stadium in the two years since.

I go to Preston now. It's a miles better shopping experience. You should try it. It came as quite a suprise to discover that Preston actually caters for shoppers rather than dolloppers, lank haired obese women with clothes two sizes too small and no make up as well as various gangs of marauding teenagers with not a penny to spend between them.

You get what you deserve in life and sadly Blackburn's attitude to people with spending power proves that. Any further comparisons are invalid.

I go to Preston now. It's a miles better shopping experience. You should try it. It came as quite a suprise to discover that Preston actually caters for shoppers rather than dolloppers, lank haired obese women with clothes two sizes too small and no make up as well as various gangs of marauding teenagers with not a penny to spend between them.

You get what you deserve in life and sadly Blackburn's attitude to people with spending power proves that. Any further comparisons are invalid.

Hope these quality folk don't spoil your genteel afternoon in Lancashire's self-styled capital next weekend.

Oh and by-the-way a big WELL DONE to BwD council for keeping dollopper-drivers, (who can't follow simple parking procedures and think they are above the law) away from our town centers. ;)

JAL I got ticketed twice quite wrongly and about 2 months apart. Both were totally unfair with one imo a definite trap. I

You cheerfuly admit to exceeding the speed limit so it comes as not suprise that you ignore the parking rules as well. You are clearly one of those people who think there should be no rules of the road or that they do not apply to you. Well done to the council for emptying your wallet. Blackburn's a better place without drivers of your ilk.

JAL I got ticketed twice quite wrongly and about 2 months apart. Both were totally unfair with one imo a definite trap. I wrote to explain the latter but I discovered my appeal had been overruled out of hand and without me receiving any correspondence whatsoever until three weeks later I did get a letter informing me that the fine was now double!

I phoned for an explanation and was told that I had been sent a letter 3 weeks earlier and that it must have been lost in the post. I requested they send another copy of their correspondence as I had not received the original and if I agreed with the reasons for overturning my appeal then I would pay the fine. Three weeks later and with still no correspondence from the council I did get another letter informing me that my penalty fine had gone up to £75 and the bailiffs would be on their way to my place of work soon. I paid, and that has been my parting gift, I have been into Blackburn centre fewer times than I have been to the Millenium stadium in the two years since.

Aside from the laughable idea parking wardens (or whatever they are called these days) set traps for motorists this is all pretty standard stuff theses days, which doesn't make it right. At Anfield we got booked for parking on a double yellow while displaying a blue badge - the crime? we were late and I forgot to set the clock to show our arrival time, as far as the warden could see we had broken the law. Gordon if this is genuinely what happened you should have allowed this to go to court, if as you say the bailiffs were threatened it implies it did go to court. The onus is on the authorities to prove you received the correspondence, unless they have signed documentation to demonstrate this the court will accept the postal service is sufficiently unreliable for a defendant to argue the letter was not received. The police et al continue to use standard postal services to serve this documenation. For the courts to find against the defendant the police, parking authorities etc would have to use "signed for" delivery services.

That's an appalling statement to make about Blackburn's inhabitants. Why don't you just leave the area if you find it such an awful place to be?

It's quite simple to get a parking ticket overturned if it's illegal too ....

On a side note I find Preston awful for parking and very congested.

I've never had problems in Blackburn apart from roadworks and I worked close to the centre for 3 years ..

'Drog like usual gets everybody biting! However, he is not far off a lot of working Blackburners opinion of their town.

Racking my brain's for almost every Blackburner I know, unless they have a quick errand to run, nearly everyone of them will go elsewhere for their shopping- be it Preston, be it the Trafford Centre, be it even Bolton or Bury!

why? Too many roaming gangs of white and Asian ilk, too many no marks just hanging around, that ridiculous orbital driving route and not enough variety of shop. Granted, the new development has helped somewhat, but Blackburn has still gone past the point of no return when it comes to competing with Preston etc.

Aside from the laughable idea parking wardens (or whatever they are called these days) set traps for motorists this is all pretty standard stuff theses days, which doesn't make it right. At Anfield we got booked for parking on a double yellow while displaying a blue badge - the crime? we were late and I forgot to set the clock to show our arrival time, as far as the warden could see we had broken the law. Gordon if this is genuinely what happened you should have allowed this to go to court, if as you say the bailiffs were threatened it implies it did go to court. The onus is on the authorities to prove you received the correspondence, unless they have signed documentation to demonstrate this the court will accept the postal service is sufficiently unreliable for a defendant to argue the letter was not received. The police et al continue to use standard postal services to serve this documenation. For the courts to find against the defendant the police, parking authorities etc would have to use "signed for" delivery services.

Paul. The time on the ticket that I had got from the machine 40-50m from my car and which I placed in the windscreen before putting my laptop in the boot and sorting through my credit cards was exactly the time recorded on the parking ticket on my windscreen when I returned from the centre (11.35). This ticket obviously being issued only after details are entered into the machine and a photograph of the car taken!

I'd suggest that this is virtually impossible unless the warden (Civil Enforcement Officer DB9 btw) was a Time Lord from distant Gallyfrey...... Or and far more likely that he was hiding close by in a shop doorway anr behind a tree etc whilst filling in the details whilst I was shufftying my stuff around and locking the car?

My 'offence' was parking in a bay that was apparently not a bay despite being surrounded by white lines. Basically my issues are that 1. the area in which I parked should have been marked in yellow, and 2. the Traffic Warden was hiding until I left my car.

Thanks for the advice all the same Paul but I prefer the option of 'not getting mad but getting even'. It's a fact that Blackburn needs me (and people like me) far more than I need Blackburn.

Also no matter what anyone say's Blackburn Town centre is not a pleasant place to shop unless one has a white stick and a guide dog.

SAS if you are simply going shopping then try the park and ride from Walton le Dale. It's a superb service and if you do that you'll never drive into Preston again..... nor Blackburn for that matter! ;)

Mattyblue.... thanks for saying what is obvious to most but beware you will now be subject to all sorts of dogs abuse from distant members for daring to mention the A word in conjunction with any sort of criticism. ;)

As for my fellow board members who have appear to be gleeful at my misfortune in spite of the injustice of the council's scam. I am minded not to swear so would you all like to go away in short jerky movements?

It's a fact that Blackburn needs me (and people like me) far more than I need Blackburn.

Incorrect. Blackburn doesn't need serial moaners who continue to run the town down. As had been suggested many times before, if you don't like it move away, preferably as far as possible.

Incorrect. Blackburn doesn't need serial moaners who continue to run the town down. As had been suggested many times before, if you don't like it move away, preferably as far as possible.

Very poor Jim. Unfortunately silly immature comments don't pay any bills.

Archived