BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sunderland Preview - 20:00 Monday 18th October

colin

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to see some of the views on here.

For me Diouf was MOM - best I think I have ever seen him play for Rovers.

Robinson - a couple of excellent stops - but in reality they must be really disappointed he didn't have more to do.

Nzonzi - held the midfield well in second half

Ollson - infuriating at times, brilliant at others - but isn't it nice to have an attacking left back with pace ?

Jones - lost his man a couple of times - but still looks the real deal (better centre half than centre-mid imo)

Pedersen - unlike many posters on here - thought he had a reasonable match - delivery was hit and miss - but battled hard and kept ball well.

Kalanic - first half ok - second half poor. Can't make my mind up whether he doesn't get protection from refs - or just isn't strong enough at times (or clever enough to go down at the right times - e.g. Davies).

Dunn - looked slow and off the pace - but when he had the ball at his feet you could see what we have been missing.

I actually saw reasons to be optimistic in this match. The reason Samba got caught in possession - and the reason why we seemed to gave the ball away in dangerous areas in the first half - was that we were trying to play the ball out of defence rather than the big hoof. Throw ins were mixed up in the first half - and we actually tried to play football.

Spot on.

David mail's tight perm gets it spot on for me.

Samba paid the price for not going row z with that ball.

Great organisation from Rovers to get the point.

Bert looked better than any time since his injury.

Red very lenient with Sunderland.

Interesting to see some of the views on here.

For me Diouf was MOM - best I think I have ever seen him play for Rovers.

Robinson - a couple of excellent stops - but in reality they must be really disappointed he didn't have more to do.

Nzonzi - held the midfield well in second half

Ollson - infuriating at times, brilliant at others - but isn't it nice to have an attacking left back with pace ?

Jones - lost his man a couple of times - but still looks the real deal (better centre half than centre-mid imo)

Pedersen - unlike many posters on here - thought he had a reasonable match - delivery was hit and miss - but battled hard and kept ball well.

Kalanic - first half ok - second half poor. Can't make my mind up whether he doesn't get protection from refs - or just isn't strong enough at times (or clever enough to go down at the right times - e.g. Davies).

Dunn - looked slow and off the pace - but when he had the ball at his feet you could see what we have been missing.

I actually saw reasons to be optimistic in this match. The reason Samba got caught in possession - and the reason why we seemed to gave the ball away in dangerous areas in the first half - was that we were trying to play the ball out of defence rather than the big hoof. Throw ins were mixed up in the first half - and we actually tried to play football.

That's a pretty accurate summary for me, however what worries me is the lack of chances created. People say Sunderland were poor but at least they created some clear-cut chances even if their finishing was poor.

In the second half the fact we were a man down meant we had to keep the ball more, so played more football (and I thought we were the better side), in the first I lost count of the number if times that Samba had the ball with a simple pass on but chose to hoof it. So frustrating as by doing that we are simply conceding possession and creating nothing positive.

This season is beginning to feel a bit like 1999 all over again. :( Looking at our next 2 games it's likely we'll be on 9 points after 10 games .... out of interest what was Ince's record at a similar stage?

David mail's tight perm gets it spot on for me.

Samba paid the price for not going row z with that ball.

Great organisation from Rovers to get the point.

Bert looked better than any time since his injury.

Red very lenient with Sunderland.

If you look at the TV pictures, Samba was in conversation with another player and looking the wrong way (away from where the ball and the action was). If he had been watching what was happening where the ball was he would not have got into the mess that he did.

E Diouf was again good, but still that stupidness in him. He could so easily have been sent off, for putting his hand in the players face. Robbo was excellent, but apart from those 3 saves, had nothing really to do. A point is a good result, considering that we were down to 10 men. We tried to play football, but ceratin players just need to play the simple pass or get rid of it. We have players like both Dioufs, Olsson, Dunn and Kalinic who can play football. At times it seems, like we are trying to hard, when doing the basics is all thats needed.

I can't really decide what to make of last night, happy with the result considering we played the second half a man light but I'm a tad concerned we haven't picked up at least one maximum points haul from Sunderland & Fulham at home.

I believe we are purely entering games to not lose, if we get a lucky goal its a bonus and we can try and build on that. This tactic is okay but if Bent would have put his chance away (great stop robbo) I think we could have taken a real beating. The lack of creativity in midfield is frightening, I never thought i'd say it but having Diouf at the moment is a god sent his ability to hold the ball is superb.

I don't think any striker in the world could lead our frontline effectively, the ball is just pumped to their feet or more often head/chest if they have the good fortune to bring it under control they have to wait an age to be supported. The preferred tactic of pump it into the box and hopefully the ball will fall kindly is obviously not too effective when you glance at our goals for column.

Somebody needs to have a quiet (or loud) word with Samba about not grabbing a forward when he gets the wrong side of him too, it could have been extremely costly last night as it was when he did the same againest Villa in the semi last year.

Lets hope Jonesy gets back to centre half for the next couple of games and Dunny in midfield as I think that would be two MAJOR positives for us. Hopefully Robbos form keeps up for the next couple of games as I think he may be a very busy boy!

A night's sleep isnt enough to get over the disappointment of yesterday. I am worried more so about the first 44 minutes and how we rarely threatened them or held onto the ball at all. Yes, this Rovers side is resilient and pulls together, but most of the time its our own doing that puts us in the position to do so.

Dioufy was excellent yesterday. Robinson is slowly taking over from Brad's legacy. He is one of the key assets for the next 5 seasons and we must keep him. Well Samba has been excellent all season but mistakes like that which he has reduced in his game will be the reason he wont be ready for the bigger sides yet, cause one mistake and you could be ruthlessly dropped. His best saving yesterday was that I doubt him being on the pitch would have made much of a difference based on our poor efforts while he was on the pitch.

Jones looked solid back in defence although a little lucky Bent was caught for a foul when he slipped. Givet looked shaky early on but grew in stature as the game went forward.

Niko I feel sorry for. Absolutely no support and not really a single opportunity created for him. More used to seeing Robinson's face in front of him than the opposition keepers all season long.

We could have won that game at a canter if a certain person grew a pair and the balls to play two up front and play on the ground .the messiah says it felt like a win? You gotta score to win.before numbnuts got sent off o counted 10 samba hoofs in a row that gave possession away cheaply.every credit to robbo...2 points dropped against gargoyles poor team

Couldn’t make the game last night, had to make do with the the TV.

I have to say that Kevin Philips attempt at commentary was farcical:

“The Blackburn fans have a lot to thank sir Jack Heywood for”

The Robinson/Bent incident in the second half where Robinson beat Bent to the ball and knocked it out of play whilst sliding in the area:

“Nailed on penalty”!

Cattermoles dive in the first half:

“I’ve seen them given”

The guy was just a complete joke for 90 minutes.

One other note in the game, Diouff was superb last night, I hate the guy, but he was excellent last night.

First half was awful and i think it showed in the fans faces. Nothing at all to cheer about. After going down to ten i thought we played very well. Robbo definatly mom and givet, jones diouf and olson also played well.

Emerton was awful imo and contributed very little. When he was sent clean through in the first half he had no idea what to do.

As someone else said above the United Diouf looks our liveliest striker, god knbows why he didn't get on the pitch before the laughable Benjani.

You clearly weren't at Blackpool then Rev - one of the most abject 45 minute displays I've seen by someone in a Rovers shirt. He looked sharp in scoring a hat trick against Championship opposition but since then virtually nothing for me. You're also a bit harsh on Benjani - he was only on the pitch for 17 minutes playing as the lone striker in a 4-4-1 formation.

Emerton was awful imo and contributed very little. When he was sent clean through in the first half he had no idea what to do.

Probably couldn't believe his luck. When do we ever get behind defences? I wouldn't be at all surprised if the team's technique was suffering on account of our usual tactics.

View on last night….

The red card seemed to help us – yes it restricted us abit, however it also calmed Sunderland down & they didn’t look as dangerous as when we had 11. As for Sunderland…for all the cash they have spent, again they are seriously average – just 50% possession against 10 men of lump it Blackburn, and very few clear chances…mainly restricted to long shots.

Harsh sending off for Samba, but mistake led to the situation so only has himself to blame.

2nd half we did well with 10 & a point was a good result once Samba saw red. Biggest complaint had to be the inconsistency of the ref & his buddies….Cattermole takes a dive, no foul, yet no yellow for a dive….Cattermole also made a late challenge – again no yellow…we touch a player – yellow card. Also one of the more annoying decisions, Kalinic goes down about 25 yards out from goal – ref waves advantage, yet we have the ball a further 20 yards back on the field – HOW is that an advantage???

Best player – El Hadji Diouf AGAIN

• Robbo did very well & stood up well when Bent was clean through.
  • Jones again looked solid in defence, yet naïve in midfield….clearly a defender
  • NZonzi also did well I thought, especially in the 2nd half – and his passing seems to be improving too.
  • Olsson – Average
  • Emerton – Needless yellow card & average
  • Pedersen – didn’t have a bad game, but didn’t do anything of great note either…decent delivery from throwings & worked hard.
  • Kalinic – battles away & always is held by his man, needs to get smarter & learn to give an early nudge or go down easier…abit like Davies as someone mentioned.
  • Jones – Naïve in midfield, lost the ball a few times & a few mistakes, better in defence.
  • Givet & Salgado – pretty solid throughout.

Now we need at least 1 point from our next 2 toughies…ideally a point from each would be good – 3 or 6 would be a great achievement.

This season is beginning to feel a bit like 1999 all over again. :( Looking at our next 2 games it's likely we'll be on 9 points after 10 games .... out of interest what was Ince's record at a similar stage?

Mark, the Ince record was P10 W3 D3 L4 Pts 12; however if you remember it was 1 point from the next 7 games and his sacking!

You mentioned the relegation season of 1998-99. After 10 games it was W2 D2 L6 8 points.So dont worry just yet!!

A nice torential downpour walking to the ground didn't put me in a brilliant mood for a game that I fully expected to be very close and lacking in goals anyway. Can only really remember three moments from the first half, Cattermole's dive (good comical value but surely worth a yellow card?), Robbo's save from Bent (good save but Bent normally buries thoose) and finally Samba's sending off, which in traditional Samba sending off style was a clumsy looking foul from behind on a pacey striker. Thought he may have got a slight touch on the ball at the time but it was rather clumsy so no real argument about the sending off. Rovers best effort in the first half was apparentley a free-kick from Pedersen from about 120-yards out which the Sunderland keeper thought he'd dramatically touch over instead of catching.

Second half with ten men I fully expected to see Sunderland camped in our half, this happened against both Everton and Fulham this season when we had eleven men on the pitch. But fair play to the team I thought we battled well and the second half was reasonably equal although Robbo had to put in a few decent saves to deny Sunderland. Was interesting to see we had two attacking full-backs on by the end in Olsson and Emerton, both of whom are capable of getting forward and supporting the attack. We just don't usually see that with Givet and Salgado who aren't as mobile. Kalinic had another hard slog on his own up top, he does look a decent player when he can stay on his feet for me he spends too much time on the floor. I'd love to say it was only due to the slippery surface tonight but Niko is exactly the same in every game. Don't whether it's because he's not strong enough or simply because he does get fouled an awful lot, but having your only striker on his ass around the halfway line for half the game doesn't help attacking moves. We also learnt last night that Givet and Jones are just as strong a central defensive partnership as Samba and Nelsen. Jones still looks a much superior player at centreback to me, interestingly Big Sam chose to bring Olsson in at left-back and move Givet to centreback rather than dropping Jones back there, then again we don't have many options in central midfield at the moment I suppose. Interstingly enough before kick-off Jones was amongst the attacking players practising shooting.

Overall we'd probably take the point after going down to ten men against a Sunderland which has some decent players,thought Sunderland's defense looked particularly strong with Bramble and Turner. Rovers star performer has to go to Robinson I suppose for the vital saves that denied Bent and Gyan, amongst the outfield players I thought EH-Diouf was once again our best player.

• Backroom

I agree with most of your points hughesy but kalinic needs to go down easier - are you mad?

He goes down easier than Paris Hilton, I've never seen a player go to ground as much.

Archived