BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Chelsea

• Backroom

Playing badly and winning = mark of champions.

Playing well and losing = relegation candidates.

Whichever way you dress it up, it was one and possibly three points squandered today.

Added to the other points unnecessarily dropped and they make the difference between staying up and going down next May.

I'm worried.

The negative way of looking on today's performance is that we played really well and still conspired to lose. Chances are we won't play that well too often and we've been struggling to get points as it is. It does paint a worrying picture.

On the other hand, if we keep up that level of performance against the lesser teams we'll be alright. Next week's game against Wigan will tell us exactly which direction our season is likely to go in IMO - anything other than a win would suggest we may be going down unless serious investment in made in January.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't agree with you that Olsson took Nelson out. Though I will give you that he may not have cleared it anyway. Whatever the reasons it was terrible defending. Same with the second goal. Scored by one of the sneakiest dirtiest players I think I have ever seen, guy fouled all game then popped up and scored. No justice in football.

Going back to the first goal, Jones should have had his eye on Anelka anyway.

Just watched us on MOTD, Hanson gave a lot of praise saying we were the better team. I still think Roberts needs shooting though. Still no idea how M Diouf missed as well. Difference between top and bottom teams, they take their chances.

Thank you, the problem is I can't agree that Nelsen took Olsson out either.

Let's blame Jason Roberts :) if he had taken his chance we wouldn't be criticising the defenders.

The negative way of looking on today's performance is that we played really well and still conspired to lose. Chances are we won't play that well too often and we've been struggling to get points as it is. It does paint a worrying picture.

On the other hand, if we keep up that level of performance against the lesser teams we'll be alright. Next week's game against Wigan will tell us exactly which direction our season is likely to go in IMO - anything other than a win would suggest we may be going down unless serious investment in made in January.

That is my biggest worry and I'm sure the worry for most people on this board. We have set the standards with our level of performance, Yes, we lost today to a very good Chelsea team, however we must continue to play like we did today. The worry I have is that Sam will resort to the long ball football again come the Wigan game and we'll be all left frustrated again if we do not get the win that is required.

We looked a lot better today with the 4-5-1 switching to 4-4-2. I thought Pedersen had a good game in the centre. Whenever he got the ball in the centre his hold up play was very good and passed the ball well which set up our attacks and won quite a lot of the balls in midfield too.

Benjani looked quite good today in the first half, was all over the pitch, and he should be fit for the Wigan game as he confirmed this in his interview with Radio Rovers after the game.

More useless defending cost us the game again.

First goal I actually put down to Salgado and Nelsen. Salgado was way out of position because he is so slow getting back meaning Samba went out wide leaving a big gap, then coupled with Nelsen being oblivious as to who's around him (something he did in the 6th minute when Drogba couldn't quite reach the header.) Nelsen went for the ball, missed it, brought down a team mate and left a huge gap for Anelka.

Second goal was even worse, the scorer was unmarked for ages.

Good overall performance nailed the myth that we can't match teams on the ground. I thought Sam wasted the Dunn substitutioin by keeping the awful MGP on, and then playing Dunn wide left and MGP in the middle.

Well there's a surprise :rolleyes:

I have watched it loadsa times and I just can't decide. To be honest I don't think Olsson even jumped to win the ball whether that was because Nelsen caught him, or whether he wasn't intending to win the ball and was trying to get out of the way, I really don't know.

Also did Pedersen put in the ball that Roberts flicked on and Mame Diouf put wide?

EDIT:

It was Pedersen who put in that ball. Great ball, but as always Pedersen is criticised for a couple of bad crosses.

Today we played the way we should be playing under Sam's tactics and the 4-5-1 formation we employ. Closing down the opposition, the wingers coming in to support the lone man at all times when attacking to switch to a 4-3-3, Olsson and Salgado powering down the flanks to create support as well, Emerton cutting through the midfield in that box-to-box role. It was tremendous to watch after the last couple of matches. Incredibly disappointing to come away with nothing as we outclassed them easily, especially in the first half. Unfortunately we showed today that the gap in quality between our team and that of Chelsea's means that even if we play to the best of our ability we can still lose.

What's been most pleasing for me so far this season is that despite the points tally we have so far, the team has looked confident on the field and we haven't succumbed to any heavy defeats. I'm pretty sure we haven't lost by more than 1 in the league all season.

For the first goal, our marking was all wrong. This is the problem when you have a back four trying to defend against a three-pronged attack - player marking gets a bit confusing. Samba should've been instructed to mark Drogba at all times, while Nelsen should've been covering Anelka, and Salgado covering Malouda. Olsson should've just been allowed to act as support for the defence and given more of a free role to attack. Nelsen and Olsson took each other out really. There should've been better communication between them.

To be honest I don't think Olsson even jumped to win the ball whether that was because Nelsen caught him

It was Pedersen who put in that ball. Great ball, but as always Pedersen is criticised for a couple of bad crosses.

Thats because the Ozzie (ok New Zealander) that you stalk clattered into him.

As for a couple of bad crosses?!!? DID YOU WATCH THE GAME??? One cross nearly hit the top of the Jack Walker stand it was that bad...he even managed a foul throwing too!

Thats because the Ozzie (ok New Zealander) that you stalk clattered into him.

As for a couple of bad crosses?!!? DID YOU WATCH THE GAME??? One cross nearly hit the top of the Jack Walker stand it was that bad...he even managed a foul throwing too!

I just like to defend players who are being unfairly criticised. That is all.

It's unfair to say Nelsen clattered into Olsson. Would Olsson have beaten Drogba if Nelsen wasn't there? No, because he's just simply not got the height, the ball would have gone into the box regardless (and I'm sure if that was the case you'd be saying 'Nelsen should have been marking Drogba') So to stop Drogba from having a header on goal or heading across goal was for Nelsen to go for the ball, surely? Olsson is one of the smallest players in our team, did you expect him to win a header against Drogba?

But what's happened has happened.

I don't mind criticism aimed at Pedersen for the things he did wrong but at least praise him for the things he did right and that cross he put in for the Mame Diouf chance was a good one.

Losing 3 or 5-0 would have been preferable to another infuriating loss. They give us hope and at the end it's all for nothing.

Roberts...well this is what Roberts does. You can't play him and expect him not to miss 1 on 1 opportunities. It is a fact of life that he can't score in those.

Rubbish. I've come home from draws against sunderland and Fulham feeling far worse than I felt about the loss yesterday. Yesterday I felt it mattered to the players to put in a good performance and for many it was the best I've seen them play in ages. I felt so positive after that performance, even though we lost.

RIML how on earth can you defend gamsts performance yesterday. He took every set piece so odds were on that he might have put one good one in. I'd bet on me to at least put one decent ball in when under no pressure at all.... And I'm not paid £50k a week.

His delivery. In the first half was awful, one one occasion he took the corner ad hit the first man, the ball came back out wide and he crossed it clean out of play behind the goal.

Every time he tried to make a tackle he just hung a leg out and the players walked past him.

I actually like gamst but that was not good enough at all. He's so hot and cold it's unbelievable.

RIML how on earth can you defend gamsts performance yesterday. He took every set piece so odds were on that he might have put one good one in. I'd bet on me to at least put one decent ball in when under no pressure at all.... And I'm not paid £50k a week.

His delivery. In the first half was awful, one one occasion he took the corner ad hit the first man, the ball came back out wide and he crossed it clean out of play behind the goal.

Every time he tried to make a tackle he just hung a leg out and the players walked past him.

I actually like gamst but that was not good enough at all. He's so hot and cold it's unbelievable.

Ricky cmon I didn't mention 'gamsts performance' even I felt disappointed with his performance after the game. I just think he deserves some credit for that cross instead of everyone saying his delivery was rubbish, I could understand if he didn't put one decent ball into the box but he did, he created a decent chance and I was just stating that because no one else did.

So instead of people saying: "Pedersen was rank bad all game", you'd prefer them to say: "Pedersen was rank bad all game, apart from one cross he put in which was decent."

That matters to you I guess? Because if someone says he was rank bad all game, that's unfair criticism unless they mention *the cross*.

You're so bloody-minded and tedious, you make yourself look silly.

So instead of people saying: "Pedersen was rank bad all game", you'd prefer them to say: "Pedersen was rank bad all game, apart from one cross he put in which was decent."

That matters to you I guess? Because if someone says he was rank bad all game, that's unfair criticism unless they mention *the cross*.

Yep I just think he deserves a bit of credit.

Stop picking on the girls,Bryan.

You little southern hard man :wacko::rover:

I don't think he deserves credit. How can a player who only plays one good cross deserve credit? That is the minimum that is expected of him. All players on the field should be playing at least one good ball!

It's like me being crap at my job all day, then doing one thing that is expected of me and then expecting my boss to give me credit. I'd expect a rollicking instead!

Didnt see much of the game, thought Roberts looked a far, far, better player than Kalinic, even despite his miss and Olsson should only be our left back when the opposition allow for it, its that simple.

Must'nt forget to mention Paul Robinson as hes now beginning to look like a complete Keeper, WELL DONE ROBBO!

Indeed. It's taken two seasons but Robinson is now looking confidant and more comfortable between the posts. His transfer to Spurs and his England experiences seemed to set him back by miles, in fact just as Robert Green is emulating now.

Moving on.... Am I the only one to think that Roberts is looking leaner? I think Sam must have refused to allow him anywhere near the weights and had him doing distance running instead. Maybe he should mix that with a little shooting practice too. Roberts will never have the finishing skills of a Berbatov or a Defoe and if he realised that and simply kept his head over the ball and stuck his foot through it as hard as he could I'm certain he'd have a better goal return.

Playing badly and winning = mark of champions.

Playing well and losing = relegation candidates.

Whichever way you dress it up, it was one and possibly three points squandered today.

Added to the other points unnecessarily dropped and they make the difference between staying up and going down next May.

I'm worried.

Thats a complete about turn.

More useless defending cost us the game again.

First goal I actually put down to Salgado and Nelsen. Salgado was way out of position because he is so slow getting back meaning Samba went out wide leaving a big gap,

The main reason for their first goal was an absolutely belting drilled clearance by Petr Cech to Malouda on the left followed by good control and a superb cross to Drogba. Sure we had a mix up but you really should give some credit for that goal to the opposition.

Top notch Hoofball without a doubt. ^_^

El Hadji Diouf attempted the most passes. Dunn and Samba the fewest.

And I'm sure you'll be surprised that Pedersen had more successful passes than Diouf ;)

But I definitely think Diouf should take a few corners against Wigan.

E H Diouf - 18 successful, 13 unsuccessful, 1 assist, total 32

Pedersen - 19 successful, 8 unsuccessful, 0 assist, total 27

So was Pedersen's passing as bad as people said it was, according to that, no it wasn't.

Archived