BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Chelsea

Very good performance and if we play like that for the majority of the games this season, we'll be closer to 1st than 20th come May.

Turning point, for me anyway, was Givet going off.

Both of their goals came from defensive fraility in the LB position - but Roberts' miss was also inexcusable.

Yes, if he could finish he'd be playing for Man Utd or Chelsea, but he can't. He knows he can't, we know he can't.

Kalinic is a much better finisher but isn't as good at making chances for himself.

If Roberts scores today, we go on to probably win/possibly draw.

Still, lots of positives from today, even if we've still come away with no points.

*edit - Benjani (who was excellent today) came off with a thigh strain, if I remember what the commentator said correctly.

Either way, it was an injury or he'd have stayed on.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was better than I anticipated, we were excellent in the first half.

Positives-

Benjani, looked like a proper target man, and finished very well for his goal. Injury problems unfortunatly.

Thought Mame Diouf was our best player today, Strong, fast and created a couple of excllent chances. Would be interested to see if Man Utd would want to sell him.

Jones probably had his best game yet in midfield.

Salgado was excellent but always seems to tire and is not as aggresive after getting booked obviously which takes awaysome of his game.

Robinson had one save to make and that was it.

Crowd, good attence today it said 25000 on bbc but looked pretty full to me.

Negatives.

Olsson, the worst defensive left back I've ever seen. His positioning is shocking, completely took out nelson for there first and was awol at the back post for the second. I think he is a good player going foward but just hasn't learned the defensive side of the game.

MGP- big mistake giving him the big contract. I dont know how he is still taking corners and free kicks, they have been rubbish for 3 years now. EHD is a much better crosser, let him take em. Pretty much posted missing for the whole match today, and he just let Jerkov glide past for there second, not good enough in my opinion.

Roberts- kalanic would have scored. Costly miss

Very good performance and if we play like that for the majority of the games this season, we'll be closer to 1st than 20th come May.

Both of their goals came from defensive fraility in the LB position - but Roberts' miss was also inexcusable.

Yes, if he could finish he'd be playing for Man Utd or Chelsea, but he can't. He knows he can't, we know he can't.

Kalinic is a much better finisher but isn't as good at making chances for himself.

If Roberts scores today, we go on to probably win/possibly draw.

Still, lots of positives from today, even if we've still come away with no points.

*edit - Benjani (who was excellent today) came off with a thigh strain, if I remember what the commentator said correctly.

You know I'm not sure he does. He always attempts to place the ball into the corner of the net. If Roberts simply smashed the ball at goal every time he got a chance I'm sure his goals to games ratio would be far better than it is. The problem is he seems to think he can finish and clearly his technique is not up to it.

The one time I can remember him smashing it was against Fulham when he scored the winner to make it 1-2 in the rearranged match a couple of years back.

• Backroom

Bitter pill to swallow today. It wasn't that they dominated us into submission we simply stopped playing after we scored and let them come at us.

First 25 mins was as good as nearly any team around then we reverted to type.

Thought Dunn was at fault for the winner it looked an easy headed clearance and he missed it.

Pedersen was gash and I thought Emerton was frustrating why didn't he have a shot when given the chance early?

Benjani and both Dioufs had great games.

Bloody annoying this football lark! Especially sitting near to their fans

Wendy on Radio Rovers asked Benjani, he said he wasn't injured but hoped to play the whole match next time.

Either he's lying or the commentator was wrong.

Was a decent match today fair play to Sam for having a go, when they scored our heads went down a bit and our game changed a bit but overall we played a lot better than previous.

It showed today how we miss a regular left back, Olsson is great going forward but he isnt a left back, even Givet is suspect in this position, Pederson was awful and should be dropped he did nothing right today.

There is no excuse to say we cant play football with this team as they do it fine, they tire a bit to easy but still we create a lot more when we hold the ball and attack more. There are plenty of positives and lessons to be taken from today.

Was nice to see us play some football again long may it last.

Hmm...interesting.

It was Ian Darke (ESPN) who said information from the bench revealed a (thigh I think) injury.

Probably something & nothing, but a shame either way - he was very good today.

Agreed, I was worried when Givet came off because I could see our defensive solidity was in danger. Olsson is a cracking left midfielder, but no left back. We need to come up with a better cover option for Givet there. The winner was terrible marking, I was practically screaming for someone to get on him.

Hmm...interesting.

It was Ian Darke (ESPN) who said information from the bench revealed a (thigh I think) injury.

Probably something & nothing, but a shame either way - he was very good today.

Wendy was a bit taken back. He was obviously confused as to why he was brought off. But he clearly stated he was not injured, Wendy asked him twice if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately in the managers interview she didn't ask him why that decision was made.

I personally thought Benjani was very good in the first half and it's the best linking of Rovers midfield and attack I've seen in a long time.

• Backroom

Thought Emerton had a decent game, tbh.

He did he's just a bit undecisive on the ball and dwells too long .

He is also the world worst but most frequent backheeler. At least benni was good at it :)

Sat in the DE for the first time it was ok but not great at all after people decided singing Cheryl Cole was hilarious and it should be repeated whenever possible.

Oh and I love Benjanis celebration in a so bad it's good way

Best performance of the season for me from rovers. Just very unlucky we had a donkey one on one. He should have tried breaking the back of the net and we'd have won

Just what we needed today, and it was what I asked for on here last night...intensity, "balls" and Mummy Diouf.

The only disappointing points were the marking for their winner, MGP's inability to consistently supply a half decent cross, El Hadji going off as Dunny offered when he came on.

The horror moment (on this Halloween weekend) was JR's miss. Ancellotti himself said on Sky Sp N that Chelsea had been fortunate. For anyone wanting to understand our (and no doubt Sam's) frustration with JR was encapsulated in that miss - great movement, touch, poise and then THAT finish. I'd like to think that Benjani would've finished it if he'd managed to stay on.

Here's hoping that this afternoon's starting XI get the chance to run at Wigan next week because we would hopefully see some goals and three all important points.

There's one thing I'm not sure I understand about today's game. Or more, the crowd. Dave Whelan was in the crowd even though Wigan were playing at the same time. My only guess is, he came to pay his respects for Ronnie?

I'd like to think that Benjani would've finished it if he'd managed to stay on.

Ehhh, I'm not sure we should get carried away here! Just because Benjani tucked a decent header away doesn't mean he's suddenly a finisher. If he is a better finisher than Roberts, it isn't by much.

Today proved that when we have quality up front, it's a different game. Instead of every move coming to a stop when Niko falls over, we had fluidity and control. Same players as always, but with more presence up front. Strikers who can make things happen for themselves and the team.

Tactically pretty much the same as always. 1 up front, with two men slightly wider and slightly deeper. Still the big set pieces and still trying to play football in midfield, but with more presence up front. Makes all the difference in the world.

Suppose some people will just see it all as coincidence that we played better with better forwards.

Thought we did very well pretty much until Chelsea scored and were easily the better team. We weren't allowing their defenders time on the ball, and looked to close down their players all over the pitch. There was no hoofing, no long throws and we were actually passing the ball short and to feet instead - and we looked comfortable and accomplished against the Premiership Champions. One in the eye for all the self-professed 'experts' on here who think we can't even try to play football because we've only got League 2 cloggers. Utter tripe as proven today.

However once they equalised it looked clear our players were told to sit 15/20 yards further back and to stand off their defenders. Tactical incompetence from Sam again IMO as we all know what's going to happen when we start to play that game. They got back into the game and looked more and more dangerous, and though we did conjure a few breakaways it looked only a matter of time before they got a winner.

Benjani's substitution was very puzzling if he wasn't injured as I thought he did fine.

EH Diouf did OK if a little quieter than recently.

M Diouf ran his socks off, thought Bert did OK but tired, Jones was MOM easily though, covered every blade of grass.

Pedersen was simply embarrassing - how he had the gall to come and applaud the Blackburn End I don't know. As predicted by the more enlightened on the mb he's had his flash in the pan and we're back to the norm of mediocrity.

Salgado did OK even if he did look his age at times - however he won't come up against Malouda every week.

Jason Roberts did OK .... but how in fook's name did he NOT SCORE?!? He'd done the hard part superbly, put defender and keeper on their arses, just had to pass it in but still missed!!

Today proved that when we have quality up front, it's a different game. Instead of every move coming to a stop when Niko falls over, we had fluidity and control. Same players as always, but with more presence up front. Strikers who can make things happen for themselves and the team.

Tactically pretty much the same as always. 1 up front, with two men slightly wider and slightly deeper. Still the big set pieces and still trying to play football in midfield, but with more presence up front. Makes all the difference in the world.

Suppose some people will just see it all as coincidence that we played better with better forwards.

Brilliant post Den.

The less we see of Kalinic, the better we will play as a team.

Might have just been me but did anyone else notice for the first 35 minutes when the ball went to the lone striker there was at least one other player close to support or link up? Something that we haven't seen much of this season.

Benjani i thought did good job, but the ball was often played to his feet and he had support. A luxury that Niko hasn't had since the Villa league cup game last season.

Archived