BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Chelsea

I think J Rob is our only forward who could have created that chance for themselves, yet the only one who could have fluffed it.

You know, something just tells me that Benjani and Roberts might do ok together as a pair, although it remains to be seen if we'll ever get the chance to say any combination working as a front two.

As others have alluded to, what a difference it makes to have some semblance of a target man to hold the ball up and bring our midfield into the game in an attacking sense. Under this regime, I can't see how our Croatian can ever make it, and indeed he is a hindrance to our style.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was better than I anticipated, we were excellent in the first half.

Positives-

Benjani, looked like a proper target man, and finished very well for his goal. Injury problems unfortunatly.

Thought Mame Diouf was our best player today, Strong, fast and created a couple of excllent chances. Would be interested to see if Man Utd would want to sell him.

Jones probably had his best game yet in midfield.

Salgado was excellent but always seems to tire and is not as aggresive after getting booked obviously which takes awaysome of his game.

Robinson had one save to make and that was it.

Crowd, good attence today it said 25000 on bbc but looked pretty full to me.

Negatives.

Olsson, the worst defensive left back I've ever seen. His positioning is shocking, completely took out nelson for there first and was awol at the back post for the second. I think he is a good player going foward but just hasn't learned the defensive side of the game.

MGP- big mistake giving him the big contract. I dont know how he is still taking corners and free kicks, they have been rubbish for 3 years now. EHD is a much better crosser, let him take em. Pretty much posted missing for the whole match today, and he just let Jerkov glide past for there second, not good enough in my opinion.

Roberts- kalanic would have scored. Costly miss

Olsson took Nelson out? If Nelson had stayed where he should have been any header back would have been cut out by him and not into a gaping Nelson-shaped hole in the middle of our box!

The rest of it I agree with

That wasn't the reason we played better, it was entirely because we weren't launching it at every opportunity like we usually do.

......to Kalinic. Who is on the pitch for the sole purpose of being immediately brought down to win free kicks. Which we then aim to get Samba on the end of..

The tactic which has seen us hover over the bottom three.

• Backroom

Whatever the reason I thought benjani looked twice the player Kalinic does.

Even when he scuffed a chance in the first half it was because he picked up the ball deep and ran at Terry.

**Tin Hat Time**

Furthermore, I believe that Benjani shows more natural ability than Kalinic. He is also stronger and more of a threat to the opposition.

Even when he scuffed a chance in the first half it was because he picked up the ball deep and ran at Terry.

Tom, spot on.

**Tin Hat Time**

Furthermore, I believe that Benjani shows more natural ability than Kalinic. He is also stronger and more of a threat to the opposition.

Tom, spot on.

Got to agree on today's performance. Wish he'd been allowed to stay on the pitch longer.

I think Kalinic tries to control the ball then lay if off to the nearest midfield player (thus stalling the attack), but today Benjani always immediately tried to attack Terry and Alex, which enabled our midfield to support him, but 20 yards further up the pitch.

To be fair, I think Kalinic would have been fine given how we played today.

I posted last week in the 4-4-2 thread that the way we were playing 4-5-1 - launching it at every opportunity and being unable/unwilling to commit men forward to support - just wasn't working. We don't have the players or pace to do it effectively.

Today we did exactly what I said we should, play through the midfield, so as to slow play down and give players time to move forward whilst keeping up with the ball. By the time the ball arrived at the striker today, our players were already up with him because we hadn't just kicked and ran. When we did break away, the emphasis was on keeping the ball rather than hitting the striker as early as possible.

Worked a treat - let's just hope BFS saw that too.

BBC Match Report - Chelsea had 9 attempts on target :blink:

The Rovers website says the same, these are not Match Stats. Sky Sports know what a shot on target is. Chelsea had 3 shots on target and scored 2 goals, we were so unlucky. Chelsea took their chances, we didn't, the same old story when playing the big boys.

A decent Rovers performance I thought,Benjani was causing them all sorts of problems.Not impressed by Chelsea but they do have an annoying knack of doing just enough against us,they have the class finishers and that takes some coin these days, or shall I say, slightly more than 5 Million! :unsure:

The Wigan game is now MASSIVE.

Best performance of the season so far.

Why, oh why, can't we play like that against the lesser teams of the division?

Everyone played well except MGP with his set pieces and throw-ins. They were unbelievably bad.

But, you watch, next week versus Wigan Ath, we'll revert to type and play hoofball, one up front AGAIN.

Sam, if you read this messageboard, please play the same next week.

But I doubt he will.

Olsson took Nelson out? If Nelson had stayed where he should have been any header back would have been cut out by him and not into a gaping Nelson-shaped hole in the middle of our box!

The rest of it I agree with

Nelson was marking Dogba(which he did a good job at today), when dogba peeled off Nelson had to go with him, but got knocked over by a lost Olsson. Thats what I saw anyway.

great performance by the team and on another day we would have win that. Big Sam was spot on with the tactics and we pass the ball more and creative more chances than ever before. The rovers fans were excellent. Would have like to see Kalinic on insteas of roberts but that just my view. STILL can't believe that Roberts and M Diouf miss those chances!!!

The system when we've played Kalinic this season has been as an isolated lone striker, with our defenders pumping long balls at him. Today we played it along the ground and into feet. If Kalinic had played today he would have been far more effective then we have seen him so far this season. Niko is not the sort of player to play long balls to, anyone can see that. I think Niko has more ability then Roberts and is a better finisher then Roberts. If Sam employs the same tactics against Wigan with Niko up front he will do far better.

Today proved that when we have quality up front, it's a different game. Instead of every move coming to a stop when Niko falls over, we had fluidity and control. Same players as always, but with more presence up front. Strikers who can make things happen for themselves and the team.

Tactically pretty much the same as always. 1 up front, with two men slightly wider and slightly deeper. Still the big set pieces and still trying to play football in midfield, but with more presence up front. Makes all the difference in the world.

Suppose some people will just see it all as coincidence that we played better with better forwards.

We played better because we actually pressed forward, passed the ball, and weren't content to park the bus and settle for set-pieces and long-throws, Benjani or no Benjani. It shows what happens when you actually SUPPORT the striker and don't launch aimless long balls for him to chase all afternoon.

The system when we've played Kalinic this season has been as an isolated lone striker, with our defenders pumping long balls at him. Today we played it along the ground and into feet. If Kalinic had played today he would have been far more effective then we have seen him so far this season. Niko is not the sort of player to play long balls to, anyone can see that. I think Niko has more ability then Roberts and is a better finisher then Roberts. If Sam employs the same tactics against Wigan with Niko up front he will do far better.

edit

We played better because we actually pressed forward, passed the ball, and weren't content to park the bus and settle for set-pieces and long-throws, Benjani or no Benjani. It shows what happens when you actually SUPPORT the striker and don't launch aimless long balls for him to chase all afternoon.

Both absolutely spot on. Let's just pray the same tactics are used against Wigan.

Very good performance and some super football! - credit to Sam where it's due.

Felt the game just highlighted what we already know..

1) we play better when it's on the deck

2) we look better with 2 strikers on the pitch (even though M Diouf did play wide)

3) Olsson is great going forward but shyte at left back

4) Roberts can't score 1 on 1

5) Pedersen is a disgrace - His contribution is nil.

6) Phil Jones is superman

Same team next sat with Dunn in for Pedersen and we'll get the points.

There goes the myth that we can't play football. If Allardyce reverts back to big boot at home now then it is a travesty. Hopefully he will turn the corner and I can start backing my manager.

No central midfielders on the pitch and we matched them throughout and controlled the first half an hour, whilst playing football. I've been saying we could do this for a while but certain people on here don't seem to believe me.

the thing is when we play good we lose, when we play bad we lose, when we play mediocre we lose. Or pick up draws against lesser teams. We're getting nothing for our efforts.

however, no, we can't play like this every game. For the most part Chelsea sat back and allowed us to do what we wanted. They knew they only needed 1-2 flashes of brilliance to win them the game, and that's what happened. Other teams press us to death and we can't play this type of football, which is why we play the long ball.

Nelson was marking Dogba(which he did a good job at today), when dogba peeled off Nelson had to go with him, but got knocked over by a lost Olsson. Thats what I saw anyway.

Nelsen is always at fault on here. I wonder where his centre half partner was.......more near the half way line than the six yard box. I've just watched the highlights and Nelsen either slipped or Olsson tripped him up, gutted :(

the thing is when we play good we lose, when we play bad we lose, when we play mediocre we lose. Or pick up draws against lesser teams. We're getting nothing for our efforts.

however, no, we can't play like this every game. For the most part Chelsea sat back and allowed us to do what we wanted. They knew they only needed 1-2 flashes of brilliance to win them the game, and that's what happened. Other teams press us to death and we can't play this type of football, which is why we play the long ball.

Your a real ray of light are'nt you :blink: Maybe Chelsea sat back because we attacked them, it works both ways you know.

Have a beer and just enjoy the fact that we played our best match of the season with football that suits our team and we gave the title holders a run for their money, maybe Sam has turned the corner and realised in order to score we have to attack for some part of the game.

Even Ince (sorry!) had 12 points after 10 games...

And then what happened...was it something like 12 after 17 games? Have abit more faith...results like that should be taken positively, not with snide remarks.

Benjani taken off for no reason according to him on radio rovers. Diouf had a decent match and was taken off whilst Pederson for me was awful. Poor decisions from the bench.

Both Benjani & Diouf looked shattered, so I think thats the reason...just a shame MGP played so poor.

That wasn't the reason we played better, it was entirely because we weren't launching it at every opportunity like we usually do.

Agree totally...to compare Kalinic performance when fired to him at 6ft high or to benjani to feet - is difficult.

I thought Benjani was excellent, its not all about the support either, he finds room for himself & drops off his defender etc....Mame was FANTASTIC - superb play to set Donkey up.....El Hadji was also excellent again (consistently good so far from him - every credit).

We missed Givet...but what the hell happened on the 1st goal, it seemed like Olsson & Nelsen took each other out? Who was at fault?

Jason Roberts....its no good about saying 'hes the only one who could have created that'....it doesnt matter if he doesnt tuck it away.

Much improved play, no many long throwings...however saying that MGP's delivery at everything was so poor that its probably a good thing he didnt.

Mention for Jones aswell - the boy is improving in midfield...it will do him good for when he eventually slots into the back 4.

Hope VH Group enjoyed it & noticed the difference was the quality on the break & when finishing chances.

Your a real ray of light are'nt you :blink: Maybe Chelsea sat back because we attacked them, it works both ways you know.

Have a beer and just enjoy the fact that we played our best match of the season with football that suits our team and we gave the title holders a run for their money, maybe Sam has turned the corner and realised in order to score we have to attack for some part of the game.

Those are just hopes right now, whether we can turn them into reality is another thing.

Archived