BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

philipl

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy hasn't even been in charge for single game and already he's being compared to a manager who took us down.

There seems to be no end to the hysterics on here.

what? how that hysterical, who can I compare him to then in recent years, Hogdson, Souness.

If you don't think this is a risk you are nuts as they are.

I hope he does well but blimey.

Just to say the very very best to Steve Kean this afternon and hope the lads really do their stuff for him.

Only game of football on in the Prem at 3pm.

Global live TV audience of 100s of millions- not much pressure on to win and win well is there? :wacko:

Hang on, what are the global viewing figures for the Premier League on a Saturday afternoon? What are TV stations all round the World paying close to £1bn for?

OK everyone normally would be tuning in for the Arsenal game and the Premier League show but the broadcasters are going to be doing their utmost to keep people watching for the Rovers game.

Well knowing our reputation to the "average" international audience, I doubt we will be able to muster any kind of figure close to that. People watch United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea. We should have more viewers than normal, but I think its being hopeful that it hits 9 figures or anywhere close to that.

Well knowing our reputation to the "average" international audience, I doubt we will be able to muster any kind of figure close to that. People watch United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea. We should have more viewers than normal, but I think its being hopeful that it hits 9 figures or anywhere close to that.

people will watch whatever's on the box. that's us and that's great. if we win..

Just to say the very very best to Steve Kean this afternon and hope the lads really do their stuff for him.

Only game of football on in the Prem at 3pm.

Global live TV audience of 100s of millions- not much pressure on to win and win well is there? :wacko:

Spot on. This could be the start of something great for Blackburn. Good luck to him

BTW, I just checked out the internet listings for the game and there are a lot of different stations tuned into our game. I haven't even heard of some of them.

• Backroom

Though there were a few of things wrong today...

Starting with Dunn - he's finished in this league and has been for a while.

Bringing on Benjani - though I think Allardyce may have done the same thing. Niko must quite literally be doing nothing in training to have fallen so far down the pecking order.

Formation and general style of play - Midfield was exposed today, West ham had too much time in the centre and even at 4-5-1 we struggled to contain them in a way we wouldn't have under Allardyce. We also noticably tried to play a more passing style of football, which didn't work because our players just aren't very good technically. You could argue they're "not used to playing that way", but there isn't much sense forcing them to change their style midway through the season during a crucial run of games. We only looked dangerous today from set-pieces and corners, staples of the Allardyce regime.

Kean had a tough game as far as injuries went, but even so, we should be beating West Ham at Ewood. All this stuff about "bogey teams" is irrelevant - they're a poor team, and they could quite easily have beaten us at home today.

We have no choice but to give Kean a chance here, but at the risk of sounding like a broken record, as I've said this many times over the last week, sacking Allardyce at this stage of the season was simply a mistake and one that we're going to be paying for for some time, I fear.

Did NOTHING today to show he has his own ideas, or any ability to make the team play better, attacking footabll.

Agree with most that people like Niko, Hoilett, Olsson need considering & had high hopes this guy would have thrown them into the mix.

Well 1 game doesn't make a manager but looked horribly like a yes man to me.

We've gone from long balls to overpassing.

No long throws and very few punts, especially with a suspect keeper.

Dunn left mid - cannot see anyone else making that call.

Picked players who didn't suit his style of play at all. Niko, Holliett and Olsson all would've suited the style more, but didn't get picked, very strange. Can understand them being out of Big Sam's style, but thought they've have been ideal for these new "tactics".

Did NOTHING today to show he has his own ideas, or any ability to make the team play better, attacking footabll.

Agree with most that people like Niko, Hoilett, Olsson need considering & had high hopes this guy would have thrown them into the mix.

Think thats a tad harsh Hughesy. Its had to make wholesale changes to a team that sits pretty near the top of the form table. Kean would of lost the faith of a lot of players if he just dropped them despite previous results.

It will take a while for a change in mentality to take hold, and when it does the starting line up will change gradually with it.

If Kean has tinkered toomuch he would have been slated for niavity. He really dies have a tough job on his hands.

These things take time.....,....

Think thats a tad harsh Hughesy. Its had to make wholesale changes to a team that sits pretty near the top of the form table. Kean would of lost the faith of a lot of players if he just dropped them despite previous results.

It will take a while for a change in mentality to take hold, and when it does the starting line up will change gradually with it.

If Kean has tinkered toomuch he would have been slated for niavity. He really dies have a tough job on his hands.

Although people are stating its a massive task for him he has nothing to lose, nobody expects him to turn us into a great passing team overnight and he is after all only the caretaker manager, if we lose a lot of matches people are going to question venky's decision to ask him to steward the club for so long rather than his own managerial skills.

I would have expected him to be a bit more positive today considering we were at home against the bottom of the league, add that to some really naive substitutions would lead me to the fact that its just too early for him, I am all for giving coaches a chance to better their career, but let him no 2 to a experienced manager at rovers for a bit before throwing him in at the deep end.

Although people are stating its a massive task for him he has nothing to lose, nobody expects him to turn us into a great passing team overnight and he is after all only the caretaker manager, if we lose a lot of matches people are going to question venky's decision to ask him to steward the club for so long rather than his own managerial skills.

I would have expected him to be a bit more positive today considering we were at home against the bottom of the league, add that to some really naive substitutions would lead me to the fact that its just too early for him, I am all for giving coaches a chance to better their career, but let him no 2 to a experienced manager at rovers for a bit before throwing him in at the deep end.

Its only been one game though, its too soon to say its come to early for him. You say he made naive subs but I honestly think they are excactly the same changes Sam would of made and he's been managing how many years?

Of course people are goung to question Venkys decision, I am! However thats the situation we find ourselves in so lets give Kean a chance, well at least more than one game befire we make judgement.

Its only been one game though, its too soon to say its come to early for him. You say he made naive subs but I honestly think they are excactly the same changes Sam would of made and he's been managing how many years?

Of course people are goung to question Venkys decision, I am! However thats the situation we find ourselves in so lets give Kean a chance, well at least more than one game befire we make judgement.

As I have said in other threads I am all for guys working their way up and I will give him all the time in the world, but two standout things for me are, he has only got this post because he will allow all the transfer dealings to be made at a higher lvl so that venky's and kentaro can bring in the players they want, also as he watched today he spotted something in defence that bothered him he came to the edge of his technical area to shout something to the defenders, they did'nt listen to him at all, also the players were very down hearted and lacked real effort today that is not a good sign at all.

The substitutions couldn't be helped really. Jason off injured very soon in the match, Samba injured then Phil injured. It was all a bit strange round the dugout though. Very quiet. Steve was very observant, it seemed, but I'm not sure he inspired confidence in the players.

Benjani took longer to get ready to go on than I need to get ready for a night out. Would have thought he'd be eager to start but it was more like he didn't really fancy it. Robinson was shouting at him to get a move on.

The substitutions couldn't be helped really. Jason off injured very soon in the match, Samba injured then Phil injured. It was all a bit strange round the dugout though. Very quiet. Steve was very observant, it seemed, but I'm not sure he inspired confidence in the players.

This gets to the core of it for me. Where Kean will live or die will be his ability to step out of Sams shadow and be a strong enough character to lead us through the confusion. If he cant inspie the players confidence after the knock they have taken then he will fail. For me though nothing has been proved today and wee to give him some time. If we get into the transfer window and he hasntone then it will be time for a big decision.

He dropped Olsson & He dropped our young star (Jones) to play Dunn on the left of midfield!! :blink:

Yeah Dunn on the left was poor. I think he clearly wanted to play Dunn as he is the one plaer we have capable of producing that piece of magic but the only other option with the way he set up the team was in centre mid and Dunn is a liability there nowadays. I agree Olsson should have started there.

Looks very much like a Yes Man and shocking to hear after the match that he thought that Benjani had a good game and that him & Mama showed "Good signs of working & that something is their to work on"...............

Midfield Wide Open and lucky for Rovers West Ham were not good enough to take advantage..........

How has this man got this Post apart from the obvious.......

• Backroom

He dropped Olsson & He dropped our young star (Jones) to play Dunn on the left of midfield!! :blink:

For me Olsson and Hoilett should have started and Dunny starting anywhere but the bench is truly baffling but I can't blame him for resting Jones he has looked knackered and really not that good recently.

For me Olsson and Hoilett should have started and Dunny starting anywhere but the bench is truly baffling but I can't blame him for resting Jones he has looked knackered and really not that good recently.

I dont think you can start both if we are playing two up top. Neither can really tuck in and withot Jones in the midfield we are already being over run.

Have already made my observations known in a previous post.

Today, I think he got it tactically wrong and there was no authority, direction or inspiration that I could discernibly see.

I sincerely hope that he proves to be a superb manager but I don't think he will be, based upon a very modest track record, and see him being replaced early in the New Year with a 'panic' appointment.

Great managers, in all walks of life, make things happen and that's why they get where they are and achieve what they do.

Kean is 43 (I think) - what had the likes of Clough, Dalglish, Mourinho achieved by that age.

In time to come, Big Sam's sacking will be rued by many, in particular Venkys.

If I was Kilby, I'd sack Laws tomorrow and hire Big Sam - the nearest guarantee you can get to 'success' for a town club.

Archived