Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

philipl

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Kean

This part stands out:

On 4 August 2009 Blackburn Rovers Manager Sam Allardyce confirmed Steve Kean as his new first team coach. Kean replaced Karl Robinson who returned to Milton Keynes Dons. Allardyce commented that he had received numerous applications for the first-team coaching position and Kean "stood out above the rest through his personality, experience and knowledge of football at the highest level".

He was wanted by Chlesea but didnt go, he was also offered the Kilmarnock manager job but turned it down to stay with us.

He is in the hot seat, as supporters we have to get behind him - for now. It may be only for two months. but according to Roberts he has the respect of the players etc.

Steve Kean played in the Celtic Boys team managed by my brother in law up in Glasgow. He is VERY highly thought of within the game and gets mentioned every time a Scottish job comes up. Not sure he has the experience for this type of situation, but then again, who has? Might be time for Mr Parkes to come downstairs and give him a few words of wisdom?

The Independent this morning has him as one of the four favorites to get the job permanently. They say he is close to Kentaro, which presumably makes him half way there. Only the fact that he's not a "name"stands in his way. My guess is that he might end up as the new man's number 2.

Regardless of whether he has any links to Kentaro or not, he is our manager for the immediate future and deserves to be given a fair crack of the whip by everyone.

Who knows, he might turn out to be brilliant. Maybe I'm straw clutching a bit but we've already seen last season that the team performed better with McDonald at the helm than Allardyce albeit on a very temporary basis.

Kean is a strong coach and well thought off.

I would however wonder how its all going to go down. Even though McDonald has gone as well Sam still has some strong following amongst our staff & players given he's worked with most of them at other clubs. I do hope Kean was only informed yesterday and that he hasn't been in the loop from the off, as if that was to get out I wonder how staff and players would react.

Steve Kean.

Bright chap, lots of coaching badges, speaks several languages.

Street-wise Glasgow type in the Moyes mould.

No fool, well-liked by players and has lots of contacts in the game.

Came up the hard way as a player - went abroad for a spell. Done the apprenticeship as a coach at all levels.

Reckoned to be the 'brains' at Fulham when Chris Coleman was in charge.

Big mates with Billy 'Badger' McKinlay. Watch that space if he stays.

Steve Kean.

Bright chap, lots of coaching badges, speaks several languages.

Street-wise Glasgow type in the Moyes mould.

No fool, well-liked by players and has lots of contacts in the game.

Came up the hard way as a player - went abroad for a spell. Done the apprenticeship as a coach at all levels.

Reckoned to be the 'brains' at Fulham when Chris Coleman was in charge.

Big mates with Billy 'Badger' McKinlay. Watch that space if he stays.

Can he manage a premier league team?

I am keen to see what changes he makes for WH this weekend.

Can he manage a premier league team?

I am keen to see what changes he makes for WH this weekend.

Well, everybody has to start somewhere.

Kean worked for quite some time at Fulham and has been Roevrs coach for around 16 months.

We are not talking about some novice here.

Kean worked for quite some time at Fulham and has been Roevrs coach for around 16 months.

I do not doubt his prowess as a coach, everyone speaks highly of him. So as a coach he's far from a novice but as a manager he most certainly is.

You know as well as I do that the two roles are completely different and being a good coach is no correlation to being a good manager.

I agree everyone has to start somewhere, but what is the success rate of good coaches becoming good managers when their first port of call is the premier league?

Jason Roberts spoke very highly of him as well. I hope he does turn out to be the next Moyes !

Do you think players will be signed in January even if Keane is still in charge ?

It would look to me as if there is going to be a new management structure here.

First-team coach. Steve Kean?

Figurehead manager or technical director. Diego Maradona or someone similarly well-known worldwide.

Director of Football. Jerome Anderson?

But there are games of football to be won first.

So, Kean beats West Ham and he is ok with the fans and players.

Kean loses to West Ham and the whole thing is under the microscope.

No pressure, eh?

Players HAVE to be signed. Big Sam knew the three areas. I would presume Steve Kean would share that view.

Intriguingly, found out this morning that Kean is particularly pro Charlie Adam.

Very interesting.

It would look to me as if there is going to be a new management structure here.

First-team coach. Steve Kean?

Figurehead manager or technical director. Diego Maradona or someone similarly well-known worldwide.

Director of Football. Jerome Anderson?

But there are games of football to be won first.

So, Kean beats West Ham and he is ok with the fans and players.

Kean loses to West Ham and the whole thing is under the microscope.

No pressure, eh?

I would be amazed if that sort of structure would work here. Abroad maybe (spanish and Italian leagues come to mind) but in the premier league my gut feeling is it would be a total disaster.

Kean may be a great coach but like many others have said great coaches often do not make good managers. With the season being so tight this year if Kean fails and it does take 2 months to find a new manager it could be too late.

I would be amazed if that sort of structure would work here. Abroad maybe (spanish and Italian leagues come to mind) but in the premier league my gut feeling is it would be a total disaster.

Kean may be a great coach but like many others have said great coaches often do not make good managers. With the season being so tight this year if Kean fails and it does take 2 months to find a new manager it could be too late.

It's fair to say we are all entering unknown territory here.

But what strikes me is that the owners are happy to run with Steve Kean just now.

Archived