BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean

philipl

The substitutions couldn't be helped really. Jason off injured very soon in the match, Samba injured then Phil injured. It was all a bit strange round the dugout though. Very quiet. Steve was very observant, it seemed, but I'm not sure he inspired confidence in the players.

Benjani took longer to get ready to go on than I need to get ready for a night out. Would have thought he'd be eager to start but it was more like he didn't really fancy it. Robinson was shouting at him to get a move on.

Im not having that ;) while my missus picks her lipstick im showered, shaved, dressed and ready to go. My main beef on the subs was Hanley replacing Jones, Givet should have come inside for Olsson to have come on at left back.

Some people said that he should have done that when Samba went off but I disagree, when Samba went off we had a more than capable centre back in Jones to bring on, when you look at the time Jones got injured that is when you need a bit of attacking threat to relieve the pressure on defenders, not to mention if you look at their goal Salgado was well out of position leaving Stanislas open while covering Hanley who had moved too far forward, like I said he was a bag of nerves coming on, he was shaky as hell.

Also in conditions like it was today the more players you have on the pitch who are used to that kind of weather the better, Benajni didnt exactly whip of his trackies and that would have been enough for me to get Kalinic on.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe the slating already. Give him and the team chance to adapt!

We have every right to scrutinise him, he is after all supposedly a ‘caretaker’....if he isn’t good enough then we need to pick up on it asap and make it clear to the new owners so they don’t make a mistake by giving him a big contract....Game 1 – Fail...Game 2 – Stoke

For me Olsson and Hoilett should have started and Dunny starting anywhere but the bench is truly baffling but I can't blame him for resting Jones he has looked knackered and really not that good recently.

I wouldn't blame him for not starting Jones as he did pick up a knock last week, but it was then complete idiocy to put him on instead of Samba when we have Hanley on the bench or Olsson could've been brought on and Givet moved into the centre. As a result, we now have one of our key players and our most promising talent injured for the rest of the season. Effing great.

Can't believe the slating already. Give him and the team chance to adapt!

No. This is something I refuse to do and no one else should either. If we sacked Sam in the middle of a season, that by no means had us in a bad position, then we have no right but to expect any less than positive results from the get go. To destabilise a team in decent form (especially at home) is pure and utter idiocy.

Surely the logical thing to do when your right-sided centre-half picks up an injury is to put the best right-sided centre-half on the bench on in his place. That'd be Jones. It's easy to say it was a mistake now we know what happened, but when the game is in the balance you put the best man for the job in, not a young player who has only made one Premier League appearance or trying to re-organise the whole defence to make two left-sided players form a partnership.

Surely the logical thing to do when your right-sided centre-half picks up an injury is to put the best right-sided centre-half on the bench on in his place. That'd be Jones. It's easy to say it was a mistake now we know what happened, but when the game is in the balance you put the best man for the job in, not a young player who has only made one Premier League appearance or trying to re-organise the whole defence to make two left-sided players form a partnership.

Not if he isn't fully fit or hasn't had a proper warm up, which I presume was the reason he was benched in the first place. That's my only issue. Of course, put Jones on as he is clearly on par with Nelsen and Samba in defence based on previous performances, but don't risk it if he hasn't been fully fit and without a proper warm-up.

And please, Nelsen would suffer if he was moved a few feet to the right positionally to still execute the same role? Pretty sure Nelsen is right footed and as such would be better on the right than the left. Not to mention that he's an experienced Premier League defender that has been in our team for many a season.

I fail to see how yesterday's poor attacking show was anything to do with Steve Kean.

Poor tempo from the players, poor runs from the players, poor passing from the players and too many runs down dead ends looking for freekicks.

The whole game looked like Eliza Doolittle at the races. Just when we looked like we would do something creative, old habits came back, someone would scream 'move yer blooody arse' and promptly leather it down the channel.

For me it was clear to see that after two seasons under Allardyce, these players have plain forgotten how to play another style of football. With Allardyce there never needed to be another way, a plan B, because plan A was stacked on playing percentages that if the team stuck to them, we would win enough home games that away games wouldn't matter.

Steve Kean has only had a week to try and knock this out of them. The inclusion of David Dunn was to try and hold on to the ball and create something. Unfortunately, he, along with many others, had a poor game.

Anyway, I seem to remember a far worse 0-0 at Ewoood last year against West Ham

Not if he isn't fully fit or hasn't had a proper warm up, which I presume was the reason he was benched in the first place. That's my only issue. Of course, put Jones on as he is clearly on par with Nelsen and Samba in defence based on previous performances, but don't risk it if he hasn't been fully fit and without a proper warm-up.

And please, Nelsen would suffer if he was moved a few feet to the right positionally to still execute the same role? Pretty sure Nelsen is right footed and as such would be better on the right than the left. Not to mention that he's an experienced Premier League defender that has been in our team for many a season.

Nelsen probably could play further across, but I don't recall him ever doing so, and Givet has been suspect at left-back and centre-half through pre-season and the first half of the league campaign, so when a game is in the balance I'd think keeping him out of the firing line would be best (see his role in West Ham's goal). Even if Jones wasn't 100%, he would be the obvious man for the job rather than either Hanley or Givet, in my opinion.

The ligament damage will be a completely separate injury from anything that happened last week or any other time this season. If there was any sign of an injury of that nature he would have been left out of the squad until he completely recovered, nobody in sport takes chances with that kind of thing. You just have to accept that these things happen, and I don't think anyone could possibly believe that the manager (albeit temporary at this point) would send one of his best players onto the pitch if he had even the smallest inkling that a serious injury was in the offing.

Nelsen probably could play further across, but I don't recall him ever doing so, and Givet has been suspect at left-back and centre-half through pre-season and the first half of the league campaign, so when a game is in the balance I'd think keeping him out of the firing line would be best (see his role in West Ham's goal). Even if Jones wasn't 100%, he would be the obvious man for the job rather than either Hanley or Givet, in my opinion.

The ligament damage will be a completely separate injury from anything that happened last week or any other time this season. If there was any sign of an injury of that nature he would have been left out of the squad until he completely recovered, nobody in sport takes chances with that kind of thing. You just have to accept that these things happen, and I don't think anyone could possibly believe that the manager (albeit temporary at this point) would send one of his best players onto the pitch if he had even the smallest inkling that a serious injury was in the offing.

Yes, I would agree with those comments.

He dropped Olsson & He dropped our young star (Jones) to play Dunn on the left of midfield!! :blink:

Diabolical! Steve Keane isnt anywhere near good enough i'm afraid, one game thats enough. Rovers wont have an easier game than yesterdays game.

Thing is we just don't know what Kean can/can't do - he is completely unproven as a manager.

He has not managed a club at any level let alone the highest one.

Do we think he has what it takes to manage and control a football club, usually it is a step up too far for most assistants and coaches.

Even if he picks up a few results, he could not have many more eaiser matches we not playing any of the Prem big hitters in our new few games.

Keans biggest hurdle will be gaining the respect of the players, if he can obtain that respect he’s a chance, if not he’s doomed already.

Whilst I'm over the moon we sacked Allardyce, I'm more than a little worried with the Kean appointment, can be nothing more than a front man for me and Venkys are going to play championship manager through him.

Worrying times.

Keans biggest hurdle will be gaining the respect of the players, if he can obtain that respect he’s a chance, if not he’s doomed already.

Thats the problem for me. Will they even bother to find out? First thing I'd do is sit down with Nelsen, Samba and Robbo and see what their thoughts are on Kean and who they'd like if they don't see him as a number one.

Bit too sensible for Venky's though.

Thats the problem for me. Will they even bother to find out? First thing I'd do is sit down with Nelsen, Samba and Robbo and see what their thoughts are on Kean and who they'd like if they don't see him as a number one.

Bit too sensible for Venky's though.

To be honest, they should have spoken to the key players and JW before axing Sam, instead they have listened to Anderson/Kentaro and acted, without knowing the mood or mentality of the club, that in itself is very Naive.

You should make decisions on what you know, not what you are told, take what you are told on board and keep it in your locker, if, after looking at the situation carefully, ie: seeing things for yourself, you arrive at the same conclusion, then fine, but Mrs D never left India!!

Mindblowing, as I have already said, how this woman and the Chuckle Brothers are successful in business, I will never know, must have been her father behind it as she appears clueless.

Whilst I'm over the moon we sacked Allardyce, I'm more than a little worried with the Kean appointment, can be nothing more than a front man for me and Venkys are going to play championship manager through him.

Worrying times.

If Steve Keanes to stand any chance, then surely he has to remove a few players from the club and bring in at least three or four players during the january period to stand any chance of remaining in the hot seat.

My only worry is that Steve Keanes players maybe at, or similar to, that of Paul Inces signings (Robinson excluded).

Keans biggest hurdle will be gaining the respect of the players, if he can obtain that respect hes a chance, if not hes doomed already.

Worrying times.

Worrying times! They weren't at all worrying times until that happened. For the comments you have made in the past week you should be hanging your head in shame not bleating about it now.

For what it's worth I'll go right out on a limb and state that from what I have seen Steve Kean may or may not be a decent coach and a hard worker who stays late at Brockhall but he is not a manager. I know he was probably nervous but from his interviews on MoTD and Sky he simply doesnt have the presence, charisma and bearing of a true leader. Proper leaders of men inspire their troops and that does not happen by displaying hesitency and nervousness.

I'd have to say the over the top amount of passing we did on Saturday would suggest he is. The game cried out for long balls and piling pressure on the keeper and we didn't.

I also wonder if it'll partly be the Kieth Andrews Ince association effect - because of his association with Kentaro he's utterly doomed from the outset and won't be accepted by fans and possibly the players as well. (I've also a horrible suspicion that his ability might be on a par with Andrews too - just not good enough - after all there's a hell of a lot of difference between managing and being a good coach.)

Are you seriously expecting that to happen 'from the get go'? :blink:

No I don't, but the timing of the sack seemed to suggest that's what they're expecting. Nicko has since shown the reason they sacked him so quickly is because they didn't want their money wasted, but I'm not convinced that would've happened, although others are.

He hasn't made brilliant signings, but I seriously doubt that an analysis into his spending would show that he's wasted more than he saved. Even at Newcastle, some of the players he signed are still in the first team, others were sold for decent prices and so on.

Unfortunately signing players isn't an exact science, but there has to be some faith in your scouts and manager that they know what they're doing, to an extent at least. It seems like there was a lack of communication and ironically, it took a quick glance at some figures on a sheet for them to give him the sack.

I don't expect instant changes and I don't expect brilliant signings or good results, but the timing of their decision and their decision itself means that's what we should be expecting. Otherwise, my question of "why sack Sam now?" is still valid.

has anyone mention the fact that Kean will have weak pulling power?

no big player will really want to play for him will they?

could he even handle a big player?

just a thought, I'm not trying to slate him, its just lets face it, he a nobody, I never even heard of him before a week ago.

has anyone mention the fact that Kean will have weak pulling power?

no big player will really want to play for him will they?

could he even handle a big player?

just a thought, I'm not trying to slate him, its just lets face it, he a nobody, I never even heard of him before a week ago.

I had the same concern as well. We'll just wait and see.

Archived