BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Sam for Burnley

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's face it, this was his season. He'd been here for long enough, bedded in, made his signings and we were in the same position as we were a year ago. No progression of style, non in quality and non in league position. He had run his course, done a job and that was his limit. We needed the ship settling after Ince and he did that but he isn't the messiah for it for Christ's sake.

I think that is complete and utter BS.

You look at a manager like Moyes, who I think is very good. Everton have had horrendously poor starts to their season, at least 3 years in a row now. The past 2 seasons they have still managed to finish 5th though. A manager can't be judged on 1 or 2 seasons alone and we all know that Sam was getting judged every game.

Sam had 2 years here, which really came down to being 1 full season and 2 halves of seasons. That really isn't enough, especially when you're not getting money to sign new players, while your best ones are being sold.

There was a progression in league position. He took us from relegation fodder to 15th in his first season, to 10th in his next season, prior to the Bolton game we were sitting in 8th.

There was a progression in quality. Pedersen had upped his game, Olsson had upped his game, Robinson had upped his game, Roberts had upped his game, Hoilett, Jones and N'zonzi came to fruition.

There was a progression in style. At the end of last season we were in brilliant form and had one of the best home records in the league, fans on here who were and still are critical of Sam had actually come out and said that we had started to play much better football. In fact, the reason Sam was getting so much flak this season was because a lot of fans felt that we had reverted back to playing crap football.

The problem with the so-called "anti-Sam brigade" isn't that they hate Sam and think poorly of him, but they are so infatuated by him that they seem to expect him to work miracles and be the Messiah and seemingly get frustrated when he doesn't. For the rest of us, he's just plain old Sam - a good, experienced manager who got us results.

Sam was a great man manager. He managed people like Anelka, Diouf, Campo, Hierro, Okocha, Djorkaeff, NGotty etc and blended them into teams.

He could take fantastic players like Hierro and use them in different ways, different positions and make it work.

I somehow don't think there would have been any issue with Tugay or any other player who had their head screwed on right.

His football also isn't half as bad as people make out. You won't get free-flowing stuff but its not Megson-esque 8 full backs on the pitch, digging out a 0-0 from the off either!

Good luck and hope Kilby sees sense.

Dingle alert, dingle alert

dingle8.jpg

Come on nicko - surely you know we've now turned our sights onto Maradonna?

I think you’ll find he’s the only person you haven’t approached :D

The problem with the so-called "anti-Sam brigade" isn't that they hate Sam and think poorly of him, but they are so infatuated by him that they seem to expect him to work miracles and be the Messiah and seemingly get frustrated when he doesn't. For the rest of us, he's just plain old Sam - a good, experienced manager who got us results.

This is the most ridiculous couple of sentences I've ever read on here. Or at least it rivals some of the things I read when people were defending the racist songs affiliated with Coyle.

Not saying the bookies are having a laugh but Howe is now 1/20, next nearest is McInnes at 10/1 :blink:

Howe didn't look too happy to me when he 'pledged' to stay at Bournemouth yesterday.

McInnes has heard nothing.

And Burnley did want to name their boss by today...

Chumbafrigginwamba!

Happy days. Hope he gets it. Pay for Xmas.

Howe didn't look too happy to me when he 'pledged' to stay at Bournemouth yesterday.

McInnes has heard nothing.

And Burnley did want to name their boss by today...

Chumbafrigginwamba!

Happy days. Hope he gets it. Pay for Xmas.

I'll be honest I've not seen his press conference so no idea BUT reading everything from him and his chairman they SEEMED to close the door on him leaving short term and I always felt he was unlikely to move North. Also very early in this saga one poster from this MB did contact me to say it was Howe we were after and he (the poster) does have previous with providing decent gossip on Burnley. Would be a very very strange turnaround though.

Gutted re Mcinnes, had a couple of cheeky pounds on him.

I think that is complete and utter BS.

You look at a manager like Moyes, who I think is very good. Everton have had horrendously poor starts to their season, at least 3 years in a row now. The past 2 seasons they have still managed to finish 5th though. A manager can't be judged on 1 or 2 seasons alone and we all know that Sam was getting judged every game.

Sam had 2 years here, which really came down to being 1 full season and 2 halves of seasons. That really isn't enough, especially when you're not getting money to sign new players, while your best ones are being sold.

There was a progression in league position. He took us from relegation fodder to 15th in his first season, to 10th in his next season, prior to the Bolton game we were sitting in 8th.

There was a progression in quality. Pedersen had upped his game, Olsson had upped his game, Robinson had upped his game, Roberts had upped his game, Hoilett, Jones and N'zonzi came to fruition.

There was a progression in style. At the end of last season we were in brilliant form and had one of the best home records in the league, fans on here who were and still are critical of Sam had actually come out and said that we had started to play much better football. In fact, the reason Sam was getting so much flak this season was because a lot of fans felt that we had reverted back to playing crap football.

I know why I don't like him. I don't need you to incorrectly point it out to me.

So what if we slowly managed to become mildly better at scraping results? It was still horrible to watch and it was still all about him.

I know he had little money to spend but he did waste 6 million on Kalinic. That was a signing made on a whim for a lot of money. Before I get lambasted, I really like Kalinic but he was never going to work in Allardyce's style was he? Similar story with Di Santo. Why spend that much money when you have Jason Roberts being told he can leave. The perfect striker for big boot one up top. I could see it from the beginning and I've always tried to avoid his football, which lets face it isn't hard, but yet he couldn't. Then he played the blame game ever time we created nothing and deservedly scored nothing. When we got goals through luck he was a genius. Go figure.

Oh and 10th was like "winning the league". That was his ceiling. And the money issue is irrelevant because if we had more money then he wouldn't have been here, and it's exactly why he isn't here now.

Nicko, I know you Know nothing about the dingle's new manager. From the start of this topic you have spouted your guess work, which is rubbish.

I only use to read all topics on this site without posting, but you bringing all these dingles on has wound me up.

Go back to dingles mad and admit, YOU KNOW NOTHING!

Chilling stuff.

Nicko, I know you Know nothing about the dingle's new manager. From the start of this topic you have spouted your guess work, which is rubbish.

I only use to read all topics on this site without posting, but you bringing all these dingles on has wound me up.

Go back to dingles mad and admit, YOU KNOW NOTHING!

Brendan, it's been a while...

Archived