BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Sam for Burnley

Theno as much as I can agree with the majority of stuff you have posted you have to remember that football for some including me is a romance and should be more than just results.

The past two years have been fantastic for the club and Sam has done a great job, he guided us to premiership safety, got the books balanced, and managed to get some of the youth firing, without him we probably would'nt have found a buyer so easily, so massive credit where it is due.

There is just one thing that has bothered me, the style of football is terrible it's beyond terrible, how we have been brainwashed into getting exited for free kicks and corner ball's had just gone on way too long, you can talk about Sam's tactics and how we were more than a set piece team but thousands of fans walking away from a 3-0 win with long faces, talking about how we had just been outplayed by wolves at home but somehow managed to win say's it all.

My dad who first introduced me to Rovers, who has had a season ticket way before I was born, was talking of not renewing his season ticket for next year, this news left me heartbroke as I have shared many a year with my dad watching Rovers, although granted I dont go to as many as I would like but I still buy my season ticket to go when I can and be with my old man.

I had to work late so missed the first half of the Liverpool game and caught the rest on tv, after the game my old man rang me up giddy as a schoolgirl talking about renewing his season ticket and how that was the best match he has had seen in two years and what prospects the young lads on the wings looked.

That match for him and that phonecall for me were enough reason to buy two more season tickets next year REGARDLESS of remaining fixtures and points taken. Football for some is more than the Premier league.

I agree 100% about the football, great stuff, Burnley were sensational the first few months of their PL season, as were |West Brom,

played wonderful football, what happened to them, to realistically believe we can match football in midfield, against the very best in the world on a regular basis, with the players we have is at the best a little Niaive, there is a reason clubs spend big money on players. Unless Kean is a genius or Venkeys really do spend big, we have to play each game as it comes, we didnt football QPR to death did we?

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree 100% about the football, great stuff, Burnley were sensational the first few months of their PL season, as were |West Brom,

played wonderful football, what happened to them, to realistically believe we can match football in midfield, against the very best in the world on a regular basis, with the players we have is at the best a little Niaive, there is a reason clubs spend big money on players. Unless Kean is a genius or Venkeys really do spend big, we have to play each game as it comes, we didnt football QPR to death did we?

Well no we did'nt hammer QPR but we won, I think we have some very good player's even though im sure most will dissagree, I think there is enough experience and plenty of youth that create's a nice balance that with the right guidance will keep us more than safe this year.

Kean to me has done a very good job so far, with all whats gone on he has managed to keep a straight head and get the guys playing some very decent stuff in a very limited ammount of games, that is not an easy task in its own right.

He is taking trying to build a positive outlook within the team and get them playing out of their skin for every game, it works for Holloway and no reason it cant work here.

We will be fine this season and in the summer Venky's will find business a whole lot easier to which we can hope to build our team with a few more players.

We have seen enough negativity over the years, lets just hope the owners soon learn the game and the English way of life and acomplish the reason they bought the club in the first place.

Theno as much as I can agree with the majority of stuff you have posted you have to remember that football for some including me is a romance and should be more than just results.

The past two years have been fantastic for the club and Sam has done a great job, he guided us to premiership safety, got the books balanced, and managed to get some of the youth firing, without him we probably would'nt have found a buyer so easily, so massive credit where it is due.

There is just one thing that has bothered me, the style of football is terrible it's beyond terrible, how we have been brainwashed into getting exited for free kicks and corner ball's had just gone on way too long, you can talk about Sam's tactics and how we were more than a set piece team but thousands of fans walking away from a 3-0 win with long faces, talking about how we had just been outplayed by wolves at home but somehow managed to win say's it all.

My dad who first introduced me to Rovers, who has had a season ticket way before I was born, was talking of not renewing his season ticket for next year, this news left me heartbroke as I have shared many a year with my dad watching Rovers, although granted I dont go to as many as I would like but I still buy my season ticket to go when I can and be with my old man.

I had to work late so missed the first half of the Liverpool game and caught the rest on tv, after the game my old man rang me up giddy as a schoolgirl talking about renewing his season ticket and how that was the best match he has had seen in two years and what prospects the young lads on the wings looked.

That match for him and that phonecall for me were enough reason to buy two more season tickets next year REGARDLESS of remaining fixtures and points taken. Football for some is more than the Premier league.

1. Those fans who said we were "outplayed" by Wolves were talking rubbish though. Wolves did better for the first five or ten minutes, then we dominated till we went 3-0 up, after which point we took the foot off the gas.

That does NOT qualify as being "outplayed", however much it would have been nice to see us try and score more after 3-0 (and yes, I wish we did go for four or five too). "Outplayed" is what happened in the Stoke game, or for much of the West Ham game. They should be mentioned too alongside the Liverpool game if you want to give an even handed view of things. Those who said we were "outplayed" were skewing their view of the game to fit their own agenda. Which is sad when the team (management and players) deserved credit on the whole for bouncing back after such a poor result the weekend before.

2. As someone has pointed out, yes Liverpool was a great result, and Steve Kean deserves all credit. But there's many a promoted side that has got a great result against a top team that's not in turmoil, let alone a mid table team in turmoil, and ended up going down. If Steve Kean is playing this brand of football and getting us top half over the course of a season on the kind of budget Sam had, then that's a different matter.

3. Premier League football under Sam's football or Championship football under a different brand of football? Which of those would get 20,000+ attendances, and which of those would struggle to get half of that?

Of course, the choice isn't one or the other, but in one scenario Premier League football is a certainty, and in the other it's a very precarious position given the circumstances indeed with the vast majority of managers out there. For most fans the league we play in is FAR more important than the brand of football we play; and this would be wholly reflected in the audiences. Attendances were good during Sam's time here; yes part of that could be put down to the pricing structure but giving up a Saturday afternoon every couple of weeks and still spending a decent amount of money isn't a decision people take lightly.

1. Those fans who said we were "outplayed" by Wolves were talking rubbish though. Wolves did better for the first five or ten minutes, then we dominated till we went 3-0 up, after which point we took the foot off the gas.

That does NOT qualify as being "outplayed", however much it would have been nice to see us try and score more after 3-0 (and yes, I wish we did go for four or five too). "Outplayed" is what happened in the Stoke game, or for much of the West Ham game. They should be mentioned too alongside the Liverpool game if you want to give an even handed view of things. Those who said we were "outplayed" were skewing their view of the game to fit their own agenda. Which is sad when the team (management and players) deserved credit on the whole for bouncing back after such a poor result the weekend before.

2. As someone has pointed out, yes Liverpool was a great result, and Steve Kean deserves all credit. But there's many a promoted side that has got a great result against a top team that's not in turmoil, let alone a mid table team in turmoil, and ended up going down. If Steve Kean is playing this brand of football and getting us top half over the course of a season on the kind of budget Sam had, then that's a different matter.

3. Premier League football under Sam's football or Championship football under a different brand of football? Which of those would get 20,000+ attendances, and which of those would struggle to get half of that?

Of course, the choice isn't one or the other, but in one scenario Premier League football is a certainty, and in the other it's a very precarious position given the circumstances indeed with the vast majority of managers out there. For most fans the league we play in is FAR more important than the brand of football we play; and this would be wholly reflected in the audiences. Attendances were good during Sam's time here; yes part of that could be put down to the pricing structure but giving up a Saturday afternoon every couple of weeks and still spending a decent amount of money isn't a decision people take lightly.

You are sleeping.

You do not want to believe.

And for the last time can you shut the hell up about it being Sam or the Championship. Why make it a point if you are gonna dismiss it seconds later?

You are sleeping.

You do not want to believe.

Have you ever posted something that makes sense on here?

And for the last time can you shut the hell up about it being Sam or the Championship. Why make it a point if you are gonna dismiss it seconds later?

but in one scenario Premier League football is a certainty, and in the other it's a very precarious position given the circumstances indeed with the vast majority of managers out there.

You really are dim.

I think you should support Newcastle, your critical faculties seem to be about the same level as the fat bloke who stands on the Gallowgate End with no top on.

Of course.

I see little point in me retyping what was said by others on the last page, particularly when I discuss them with one of those posters in person regularly. I'm not a parrot.

This fantastic post is spot on.

Going down to the concourse at half time in the Liverpool game was a revelation. Smiling faces everywhere, people bouyed by the football in the first half - it was like chalk and cheese compared to earlier in the season.

People were starting to vote with their feet because of the dire football being served up. The concourses were packed 10-15 minutes before half time, more people were staying down there after HT ... and some ST holders around us just weren't turning up to games at all.

Personally, we'd stopped going to away games (Turf Moor was our last one under SA) and eventually even at home I snapped earlier this season and bought a Blues Bar pass so I could at least sit in comfort with a drink for second halves at Ewood (and I was still using my ST, and the club had the benefit of my spending).

Sure if we get relegated (and I don't think we will) some fans would drift away, but I think many others were going to drift away under the previous manager even if we stayed up.

Now, we are where we are ... the owners have a lot to learn, but Kean is the manager and he's already given new hope to thousands of fans like Beerwins and his dad. I've not used my Blues pass since he took charge, long may the entertainment continue!!

People do get it! Faith in humanity is restored.

I'll be getting a season ticket next season after I've finished uni, money allowing. There is no way I would have bought one if Allardyce was still here.

People pay for entertainment. With respect to the managers it's a results business, but for the fans it has to be at least partially about entertainment. If football doesn't entertain you then why bother with it? There are other things in life.

'drog asked for the table that shows Rovers were the 7th best team in the PL in 2010.

Team P W D L F A GD Pts

Man Utd 36 23 11 2 80 27 53 80

Chelsea 37 23 6 8 91 31 60 75

Man City 39 20 10 9 67 34 33 70

Arsenal 38 21 7 10 71 42 27 70

Tottenham 37 19 9 9 54 42 12 66

Everton 38 15 16 7 55 39 16 61

Blackburn 38 15 9 14 47 51 -4 54

I do fully understand the people who did not like his style of football- it wasn't a thing of beauty and if the current squad can achieve 7th playing with verve and elan, Sam will have been roved wrong.

I look forwards to Europa League football next season.

If Kean can keep us up (possible) and play an 'expansive' brand of football, the crowds will remain.

If Sam stayed and kept us up (almost certain), the vast majority of fans would remain.

If Kean took us down (possible) crowds would plummet.

Can you see why John Williams was not a risk taker after the Paul Ince debacle?

If Kean can keep us up (almost certain) and play an 'expansive' brand of football, the crowds will increase.

If Sam stayed and kept us up (almost certain), the vast majority (but not all) of fans would remain.

If Kean took us down (unlikely based on the last month) crowds would plummet.

Fixed it for you.

PL fixtures in the last two seasons have tended to operate in playing every team once in each half of the season so no that is ot a reason for rejecting the validity of that 2010 table. One or two clubs played less than 38 games but the spread of points tends to obviate that as a reservation as well.

38 games are more reliable than a form guide of 6 which is the normal style. I think that clearly shows Sam had lifted us to a Europa League level of points performance. That completely contradicts most of the remarks made by all the Venky's about why he went.

Those waiting for their Eddie Howe pay-out have some reason for optimism.

The compo figure, which was initially ridiculous, seems to have come down...

However after the past ten days you can never be 100 per cent with Howe. The fans will be loving him up tonight.

So don't go spending the winnings.

PL fixtures in the last two seasons have tended to operate in playing every team once in each half of the season so no that is ot a reason for rejecting the validity of that 2010 table. One or two clubs played less than 38 games but the spread of points tends to obviate that as a reservation as well.

38 games are more reliable than a form guide of 6 which is the normal style. I think that clearly shows Sam had lifted us to a Europa League level of points performance. That completely contradicts most of the remarks made by all the Venky's about why he went.

It's far from clear at all. Spread across two seasons, the sample is inherently selective. Nearly all professional sports forecasting models discount previous seasons form after 6-10 games of the new season, Accuscore being a notable one.

IMO, Allardyce's percentages based approach, which is well documented would never have qualified us for Europe this year without investment in the squad. We would never be successful enough in terms of winning the games he targets to fully make up for the ones that he doesn't. Throw in the odd catastrophic defeat away to knacker that goal difference and we're at a big disadvantage to the likes Sunderland, Everton & Liverpool who would ordinarily win more home games than we do.

He did a good job here, nobody disputes that but we were a year or two off of Europe with him in charge in my view and a 2010 points table in no way proves otherwise.

I went back to find this post to +1

As an optimist, I would find myself getting excited about throw ins near the 18 yard box as they represented scoring opportunities. Sad but true.

Allardyce would eventually have made us effective enough to sneak a Europa league place. It would have just taken him a couple of seasons of tinkering but the journey there would not have been much fun.

Eddie Howe has been offered a three-and-a-half year deal on very good money.

He has told mates he goes tomorrow.

He even has his first signing and an extra member of staff lined up.

Still anxiously waiting on him getting through the emotional turmoil tonight.

Eddie Howe has been offered a three-and-a-half year deal on very good money.

He has told mates he goes tomorrow.

He even has his first signing and an extra member of staff lined up.

Still anxiously waiting on him getting through the emotional turmoil tonight.

marc pugh ? or Another bournemouth player ?

Of the six man shortlist which was leaked two days after Laws was shown the door.

In no particular order

Brown - Wanted answer, didnt get one, went Preston

Lambert - Did a number on us after being lined up at a VERY early stage.

Mackay - Official approach never made

Hughton - Not prepared to move up North.

McInnes - Ruled out at an early stage.

Howe- Got there man.

Despite the name of this thread, Allardyce was never on the list and never stood a chance. Anyone who knows football or even has the slightest clue what Burnleys chairman Barry Kilby is like would have know that.

Archived