BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Sam for Burnley

Silly comparison cruz. Stupid even.

How does it feel to know that your thought processes obviously run along then same lines as the doddery old G&T brigade at the FA headqarters? :rolleyes:

Yeah because they know nothing. What we really need to unleash on the world stage is the Sam Allardyce brand of football.

It's that direct percentage game that has given Brazil, Spain and Germany so much success over the years. Just look at the clubs banging on his door since his dismissal here.

He would make us even more of a laughing stock and ticket purchases would fall through the floor.

But then again, you know best.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He would make us even more of a laughing stock and ticket purchases would fall through the floor.

But then again, you know best.

Rovers were disliked by our opponenets under Sam because they were feisty and difficult to play against but they were never a laughing stock.

That term applies to the antics of the new owners and their decision to sack Sam and replace him with a non-entity combined with their silly moves for the likes of Ronaldinho, Maradona and Beckham.

The whole football world was in stitches over that.

Rovers were disliked by our opponenets under Sam because they were feisty and difficult to play against but they were never a laughing stock.

That term applies to the antics of the new owners and their decision to sack Sam and replace him with a non-entity combined with their silly moves for the likes of Ronaldinho, Maradona and Beckham.

The whole football world was in stitches over that.

Rovers weren't feisty in the slightest. That was an Allardyce created myth. He used to always say we were hated because they thought we were too tough, when in fact it was just the abysmal football. We barely put a tackle in when he was in charge, except for the odd Diouf moment of madness.

We weren't Rovers at that time anyway. We were Allardyce.

Sadly we'll never find out because of the stupidity of the new owners but there is every chance we would have improved on last year's 10th under Allardyce.

Sam's sacking was cruel and unnecessary and with just a little financial backing from the new owners we could have challenged for 7th place under him this season.

Wrong thread Jim, but you're talking bobbins.

Allardyce was well past his sell by date and his football was stuck back in the dark ages.

In just a few weeks Kean has already improved our style of play, with some success, and that on the back of having no renowned ball players in the squad.

The Allardyce philosophy was not to lose at all costs, which far to often meant we didn’t go out to win, and that approach isn’t the way to qualify for Europe.

Get over it man.

Eddie Howe going to Burnley then eh?

I think they might have got another Coyle there, I think he's going on to bigger things. I've been keeping an eye on his progress for a while, not surprised that he's moved up so quickly. Unfortunately. :(

We were a bit of a laughing stock under Allardyce, at university I met passionate fans of many clubs and they all laughed at our abysmal football and the 'choice' comments served up by Big Sam

Eddie Howe going to Burnley then eh?

I think they might have got another Coyle there, I think he's going on to bigger things. I've been keeping an eye on his progress for a while, not surprised that he's moved up so quickly. Unfortunately. :(

You could be right, but I doubt it.

Coyle was an exception to the rule, and whilst Howe has done well so far, an Owen Coyle he isn't by all accounts, but time will tell.

Howe also prostituted himself out around the teams looking for a manager, and will possibly end up at his 3rd choice burnley, poor chap :lol:

Right, first things first. There is no way we were ever going to push for Europe this season under Allardyce. No way in hell. Not saying we will do now by the way, who knows what'll happen.

Not saying we would've either, just saying we were in a position to push for Europe and were therefore in a much better position than that time last season. Therefore, an improvement.

The season before we finished 15th and he "saved" us, we finished 7th!

I know we lost players but Friedel for Robbo was a trade up, he's over the hill. Bentley was never really replaced and Roque was injured granted. And I accepted a 15th place finish but we never kicked on.

We didn't just lose players that were sold, we were in an injury crisis, similar to the one we were in recently. Go back and check how many first team players were out at the time. We had to play Andrews all season for god's sake and Samba up front towards the end! It's all besides the point because he didn't take over with us sitting in 7th, but with us sitting at the foot of the table with about 19 games to go.

Against West Brom we didn't play 4-5-1. We played 4-4-2. And what does that have to do with anything? I actually like 4-5-1 as a system on the whole.

And Kalinic's first goal wasn't a long ball, it was a pass. A good pass at that.

I won't get into the technicalities of Sam's tactics, we could go over that one for ages. I'll just re-iterate, I believe in giving credit where credit's due and I think Sam deserves credit for his managerial and tactical clout.

Just because Allardyce said he wanted to get us into Europe doesn't mean he was capable of doing. And so what if we are looking at players that he was looking at bringing in? He brought in Kalinic, I'm glad he did, but he sure as hell didn't have a clue how to use him.

Of course just because he says something it doesn't mean it will happen, but to say that his peak was 10th is pretty ridiculous. To say he isn't capable of getting us into Europe when he managed it with Bolton multiple times (the only place he really got a decent chance to do so) is just wrong. We don't know what may or may not have happened, I'm not claiming that he is the greatest manager in the world or that he can work wonders. I will state that he has a proven track record at this level and has been very successful over many, many years, especially compared to other managers who have coached at this level. People are drooling over Coyle and Holloway, and I think they are brilliant managers as well, but they have only had 1-2 seasons in the Premier League.

Kalinic. Kalinic was brilliant last season against Chelsea, but was pants for most of the other time. He also started off quite decently this season and did well in the Liverpool game, but a couple of games don't make a season. Dunn was everyone's darling last season, but now everyone wants to get rid and quick. Football is a fickle game. For the record, to me Kalinic has always had potential and can do the job in either system, but his problem has been being way too nervous on the ball, falling over too much and snatching at chances. Maybe he was mismanaged by Sam, maybe he just hasn't settled in a much bigger league to the one he came from. I don't know. I don't accept the fact that the system had to do with his inability to do well.

I won't get into the technicalities of Sam's tactics, we could go over that one for ages. I'll just re-iterate, I believe in giving credit where credit's due and I think Sam deserves credit for his managerial and tactical clout.

I wasn't saying anything about Allardyce's tactics, you brought up 4-5-1 for no reason that I can put my finger on. On the point of his tactics though, they're just percentage football pure and simple. Get your players big and strong, get the ball into the box as quickly as possible, as often as possible and eventually the defence will make a mistake that you can bundle home.

Your striker's job is to win corners, throw ins and free kicks from clearances up to him, then we go into "offence" mode. Dinking the ball into the box means the defence can't get the ball clear with one header so you have two chances to get the ball (the same applies with long throws).

Then when you lose the ball sit deep and repeat.

I'd hardly call that tactical clout. There's nothing more complicated to it than that. When Dunn was fit he could feed off the scraps left from the front man when they hadn't won a free kick or a throw in. Same thing week in week out.

The beauty of it is, it doesn't matter that the opposition know exactly what you're doing because it's all about percentages. Eventually they will mess up. The problem is (regardless of how entertaining it is) you'll end up mid table. Flip a coin over and over again and you'll get pretty much an even number of heads to tails.

Percentage football is a leveller, it takes the skill out of the game so it gives you a better chance against the better sides, so I can accept playing it against the top clubs, but we played it against side's that we were better than.

At Bolton he had a side who suited the football, and by a side I mean Kevin Davies. Big, strong and fantastic in the air. Wins corners, free kicks and throw ins. Perfect for it.

Just makes me wonder with Sam, he has been sacked by Blackpool, Newcastle and yourselves, each time seemingly unfairly and at the first opportunity, now O.K. it can happen once, no problem, twice, you might start to wonder why, but three times? Is there something we don't know about? Other than the BBC 'bungs' allegation in 2006 or whenever it was.

I think Howe has what it takes to be a success at Burnley, eventually, however, I think their chances of bouncing back straight away will diminish with his appointment. I'd have put money on Sam getting them up this season.

Just makes me wonder with Sam, he has been sacked by Blackpool, Newcastle and yourselves, each time seemingly unfairly and at the first opportunity, now O.K. it can happen once, no problem, twice, you might start to wonder why, but three times? Is there something we don't know about? Other than the BBC 'bungs' allegation in 2006 or whenever it was.

I don't think there is anything sinister in it. He just rubs people up the wrong way.

He will probably get another job that will also end in ignominy. A lot of his "fans" can't see the wood for the trees. He will always be divisive and can never be the one to unite the fans.

I don't think there is anything sinister in it. He just rubs people up the wrong way.

He will probably get another job that will also end in ignominy. A lot of his "fans" can't see the wood for the trees. He will always be divisive and can never be the one to unite the fans.

I would be descrubed as a "fan" of Allardce, I suppose.

Not because I was particular fond of the bloke, though his arrogant rantings didn't really bother me, bit of colour in the drab world of managers.

I was fully behind him simply because he got results and kept us competitive after the Walker's pulled the plug. Yes, the style of football was functional at best, but I saw no need to change course and take risks when he was well on the way to getting us a third consecutive higher league position.

However, other fans have such an irrational dislke for the man, that the credit he deserves is given only grudgingly.

Are we there yet? :lol:

Howe to take charge of Bournemouth for a last time tomorrow.

Does this chap like an audience or what?

He is Burnley's first choice.

The second is on stand-by, but not expecting a call...

But would you be totally certain Howe isn't going to be swept away by the emotion of it all tomorrow night.

Sheesh.

Archived