BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Battle Aftermath

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Givet is out so there is no option for LB but him.

yes there is and he is left footed - and that would be Pedersen

Everybody goes on about his defensive workrate and he does at tiimes appear to spend more time in that area rather than where he should be.

He can't be any worse than Olsson there, and with the amount of players that seemed to get played out of position anyway (as he has already in centre mid) - what difference will it make?

Tha other alternative is also to pitch in one of the Emerton or Salgado - its one match for christs sake - do not weaken one position just to cover another.

yes there is and he is left footed - and that would be Pedersen

Pedersen pulls out more than John Holmes.

Having him and Martin in tandem could work.

Moving Bert or Salgado would be madness. Salgado has to bust his ass on the right never mind being wrong footed on the left.. Bert would probably end up getting sent off.

Think our run in is pretty difficult - our away form/record is very poor plus having to play Manchester United, Manchester City and Arsenal.

Fair enough if we had been getting inconsistent results but we are so poor at the moment, we need a spark from somewhere. Even if we beat Blackpool we will likely face an immediate, and potentially heavy, defeat in our next game.

Moving Bert or Salgado would be madness.

And so is playing Olsson at LB :rolleyes:

We know he can't play there so it has to be another option - also down to the sheer fact we need him more higher up the field.

Pedersen adds the balance as he is left footed - the other options are that Salgado and Emerton are both full backs - or in the case of Emerton capable of playing there.

With instructions to provide cover to the others- Pedersen would be more than capable of filling in. He is not contributing much ion the role he has been asked to occupy more recently.

I can't believe people are even mentioning P Jones as a starter considering how long he has been out and the injury he has had.

Go back to the formation that we have the players for - 442 - we are at home , we have to be on the front foot and go for the win, get back to basics and keeps things simple and not over complicate.

This has to be 3pts

And so is playing Olsson at LB :rolleyes:

We know he can't play there so it has to be another option - also down to the sheer fact we need him more higher up the field.

Pedersen adds the balance as he is left footed - the other options are that Salgado and Emerton are both full backs - or in the case of Emerton capable of playing there.

Maybe so, but he has played in that position before. Sticking a player that has never played in that position for our team in such an important match is more dangerous in my opinion. I think being wrong footed on the left would have Salgado skinned alive. Again, I do not agree with Emerton either, the foul count would be hideous.

I would bet money that is who will be in that position.

I agree that he isn't the best left back in the world, but he beats out Pedersen in that position any day, again, in my opinion.

I can't believe people are even mentioning P Jones as a starter considering how long he has been out and the injury he has had.

Go back to the formation that we have the players for - 442 - we are at home , we have to be on the front foot and go for the win, get back to basics and keeps things simple and not over complicate.

This has to be 3pts

I agree

Maybe so, but he has played in that position before. Sticking a player that has never played in that position for our team in such an important match is more dangerous in my opinion. I think being wrong footed on the left would have Salgado skinned alive. Again, I do not agree with Emerton either, the foul count would be hideous.

I would bet money that is who will be in that position.

I agree that he isn't the best left back in the world, but he beats out Pedersen in that position any day, again, in my opinion.

I agree

I know what you are saying rebel and concur that Olsson will end up starting at LB and agree on Salgado (not so sure about Emerton though), but as you say Pedersen has never played there so why not give him a try we have nothing to lose (we'l never know if he doesn't play there)

Olsson adds nothing at LB and this is turn affects and weakens our stance going forward if he is not higher up the field in what he offers on the left hand side position.

Pedersen has the experience and should have enough nous in one game to fill in - as well as adding the balance

Playing Olsson at LB - weakens us in two positions - and I would rather be weak in one position rather than both

We need to get some organisation and structure to our play -and IMO doing this would gives a more solid formation.

I was thinking about this last night, my preferred team from now until the end of the season would be....

Robinson

Emerton Samba Nelsen Olsson

Hoilett Dunn Jones Pedersen

Santa Cruz Roberts

Why? Well, it bares an uncanny resemblance to our strongest team when Hughes left (the last time we were genuinely a successful team):

Friedel

Emerton Samba Nelsen Warnock

Bentley Dunn Savage Pedersen

Santa Cruz Roberts

Only three outfield players are different. Not only that, but three players who roughly share similar attributes:

Olsson/Warnock: Defender happier going forward

Jones/Savage: Bit of a headless chicken, can be rash but will get stuck in and offer protection

Hoilett/Bentley: Will drift around and create, not great defensively

I think we could get enough points from that team to stay up.

I know what you are saying rebel and concur that Olsson will end up starting at LB and agree on Salgado (not so sure about Emerton though), but as you say Pedersen has never played there so why not give him a try we have nothing to lose (we'l never know if he doesn't play there)

Olsson adds nothing at LB and this is turn affects and weakens our stance going forward if he is not higher up the field in what he offers on the left hand side position.

Pedersen has the experience and should have enough nous in one game to fill in - as well as adding the balance

Playing Olsson at LB - weakens us in two positions - and I would rather be weak in one position rather than both

We need to get some organisation and structure to our play -and IMO doing this would gives a more solid formation.

I suppose it is worth a try with Pedersen; I love the guy but I seriously doubt his testicular fortitude when it comes to tackling.

Maybe, just maybe, with Olsson directly in front of him, some of the terror would leave me - seeing him as left back that is.

I get you with the double weakness.

Left back cover is needed, proper left back that is.

If we survive picking one up should be right up there in priorities.

MGP is not physical enough to play in defence IMO - he gets barged off the ball too easily. Also, in particularly recently, he keeps giving the ball away in dangerous areas of the pitch.

MGP is not physical enough to play in defence IMO - he gets barged off the ball too easily. Also, in particularly recently, he keeps giving the ball away in dangerous areas of the pitch.

Yeah, as a midfielder he is probably not too comfortable with keeping the offside line either.

Too risky.

Any youngsters who could pull a Phil Jones-type debut at left back?

Friedel

Emerton Samba Nelsen Warnock

Bentley Dunn Tugay Savage Pedersen

Santa Cruz Roberts

Dunn over Tug's shame on you. ;)

Saturday, 19 March 2011

Tottenham v West Ham, 12:45

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton, 15:00

Blackburn v Blackpool, 15:00

Man Utd v Bolton, 15:00

Stoke v Newcastle, 15:00

West Brom v Arsenal, 15:00

Wigan v Birmingham, 15:00

Everton v Fulham, 17:30

Sunday, 20 March 2011

Sunderland v Liverpool, 13:30

Chelsea v Man City, 16:00

You'd hope Spud's would beat the spammers, west Brom will hopefully get the arsenal backlash after barca. Wigan V Birmingham will be interesting and touch wood they'll cancel each other out and a draw will transpire. Villa should overcome Wolves at home. This weekends a big opportunity for us.

A win on Saturday, 19 March 2011 and we'd likely bide ourselves some breathing space, fingers crossed.

Archived