BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Battle Aftermath

How come everyone is 100% dismissing taking points from one of the Big Guns in the run-in? Remember last year?

Last year....last year.....hmmmm...

Oh yes, I remember! Last year - when we had a proper manager experienced at keeping sides in the Premier League year after year. Good times.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

imo our squad has been deflated by recent events and has no fight in them, whilst other teams below us appear well 'up for it' and are already fighting like hell. The trend curves must be damning of our chances.

In line with what I have been banging on about since December and the bar we can't seem to raise ourself above.

The determination has not been there for a while - and without stating the obvious, the recent disorganised shambolics we have seen mixed with some basic football skills not being administered by our 'well funded' athlete's has not helped at all.

Results wise - w,l or d- probably can't argue - but the Everton score is well out of context - they are not much better than us at present and I bet a pound to a dollar we don't get tubbed 3 - 0 or similar.

I'm with moerpho in thinking that we will more than likely get something from one of UTD/Arsenal or Citeh but then cock it up in another.

What is probably nailed on though is come the game against Wolves - if we need a result we will fail dramatically given the current considerations.

I'd say the last ten games were much more difficult last season although we entered them with some form, winning three, losing two and a draw in the previous six. Fulham at home started the turn around last season, heres hoping the same club can allow us to turn this corner again.

The points are there to be had, "change is constant" says JW, lets hope he is right starting this Saturday.

• Backroom

So todays fixtures that effect us:

Birmingham v West Brom

West Ham v Stoke

Man City v Wigan

Could do with a draw, a Stoke win and a City win to go along with us not losing (unlikely I know)

And then a couple of away wins in the next 2 days

Wolverhampton v Tottenham, 16:00

Blackpool v Chelsea, 20:00

My opinion for what it's worth is that our best chances of avoiding relegation rest on

1. Re-instating Allardyce (and possibly JW for the short term). They are his players and he knows how to get the best from them. Not sure the Venkeys pride would allow that and I'm not sure his pride would either, although the thought of exacting revenge and resurrecting his England hopes at the same time might just swing it. Talk of other managers e.g. Ranieri is fine and dandy but Allardyce is the best in the world for a club in our position with games running out.

2. The quick return to full fitness for Phil Jones (deep midfield and crucial for us) and Junior Hoillet, Santa Cruz staying fit and getting a proper supply, ditto Dunny and finally a return to duty by Chris Samba.

3. Lastly the return of EHD. Dunno what arrangements he's gone on loan for but if we can get him back we should. Our current tailspin coincided with Kean literally throwing him to the Wolves. (compare that to RFW's blind defence of Rooney's elbowing incident, ditto with Keane's assault on Alf Inge Haaland and the daddy of all defences of the indefensible the Cantona/Matthew Simmonds abomination.) Whatever goes on behind closed doors 'proper' managers defend their players to the hilt.

Those things imo would re-invigorate the squad morale.

• Backroom

West Brom back in front great goal by Morrison and Reid did well for it.

Both teams look like they have enough to stay up worryingly

• Backroom

They are showing more fight than us though which is vital in a relegation scrap, in fact all the teams down there look up for a fight whereas we look like rolling over to get our tummys tickled.

Brum were on their knees in the last 20 minutes.

Will winning the cup have an adverse effect on the remainder of the season. I bloody hope so.

Everton next up for them both needing the points and us needing an Everton win. :rolleyes:

A sad indictment that we are looking to other teams to save us.

Another day, another defeat.

Rovers are in freefall while our rivals are winning matches.

As things stand Kean is taking Rovers down to the Championship.

The owners have to make decisions.

Archived