BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Battle Aftermath

I think the key thing will be (to an extent) luck - especially with injuries and suspensions.

Up to press Kean hasn't exactly been lucky with injuries - though of course it could have been so much worse.

Jones coming back could be huge for us - though centre midfield is by no means his best position - he will run his socks off for Rovers - and in a relegation scrap this is what we need. IF we can get more than two consecutive fully fit games out of Santa - Givet stays fit (enabling Olsson to move further forward - and Hoilett regains fitness and sparkle - irrespective of the manager I would hope (and pray) we have enough.

Its fingers crossed time - but in truth two (even lucky) wins in our next couple of matches and the problem all but goes away. Unfortunately I think we are all struggling to see the light at the end of what appears a very long tunnel.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

The Blackpool game is absolutely huge... lose that and I think we'll be relegated. If we can get even a point from Fulham and a win against Blackpool we'll probably be alright.

Feels depressing to even be saying this, considering where we were in the table and our expectations before Allardyce was sacked :angry:

That's the thing, as ridiculous as it sounds, with the way the league is this year (so tight) I think we would have finished surprisingly high under Sam.

Anyway, as I am sure someone will tell me, Sam is history....

I have absolutely no doubt we would have finished top half under Sam and if he had been given £5m for fees and wages in January would probably have grabbed 7th.

The way things are going I would take 17th under Steve Kean right now. That would be a straight £8m less in prize money than Sam would have pulled in.

Add in Jerome Anderson fees and unnecessary compensations paid to Sam and JW and the Venky's have flushed something well over £10m down the loo through a mixture of hubris and naivety. Or a year's profits from Venky's India Limited.

They are certainly learning what a tough world Premier League football is the hard way through their pockets and that is assuming we stay up...

I have absolutely no doubt we would have finished top half under Sam and if he had been given £5m for fees and wages in January would probably have grabbed 7th.

The way things are going I would take 17th under Steve Kean right now. That would be a straight £8m less in prize money than Sam would have pulled in.

Add in Jerome Anderson fees and unnecessary compensations paid to Sam and JW and the Venky's have flushed something well over £10m down the loo through a mixture of hubris and naivety. Or a year's profits from Venky's India Limited.

They are certainly learning what a tough world Premier League football is the hard way through their pockets and that is assuming we stay up...

Philip I really do have to respond to this post. I have always read with interest your posts but even you have succumbed to the sense of doom and gloom on this message board at the moment.

You cannot have "absolutely no doubt" that we would have finished top half under Sam or that given £5m he would have got us to 7th!It is all pure conjecture and wishful thinking. It is an argument not worth pursueing as the outcome is pure fantasy.

You then compound your error by suggesting that we will finish 17th and as a result of that we will lose £8-10m as a result of sacking Sam.You may wish this to be the case but unfortunately it can never be proven.We all have to deal with the current situation and accept that things are not going very well at all at the moment but to suggest that the remedy lies in the past is absurd. It must be based in the present on the training ground and with the players taking some responsibility on the field to make sure that we get the results which will keep this club in the premiership.

Has anyone observed that Manchester United is the last home game this season....bad omen :angry:

Indeed.

Remember Fergie gloating the last time they sent us down ? That will be nothing compared to the glee he will show this time given the treatment one of his best mates, Big Sam, suffered - 'revenge is a dish best served cold' comes to mind.

There will be no prisoners taken. Oh dear me.

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

I would like to see your multi-dimensional time machine that goes shows that Sam would have probably? achieved 7th. In whatever parallel universe we achieved a Europa League place, there is another where Sam's team suffers a ton of injuries, loss of form and with one of the tightest relegation battles in recent seasons - Rovers could go down.

For a man who spends time analysing actual facts and figures there's a lot of inflammatory speculation in there. To have 'absolutely no doubt' that something 'probably would have' happened doesn't make any sense. I'm glad you don't do my tax return.

I suggest you take a sedative and wait to see how the rest of the season pans out. A couple of home performances like the Liverpool and Spurs games could see us out of this. And if we do get relegated, you can say I told you so. And maybe go on to make a living as the new Mystic Meg.

You cannot have "absolutely no doubt" that we would have finished top half under Sam or that given £5m he would have got us to 7th!It is all pure conjecture and wishful thinking. It is an argument not worth pursueing as the outcome is pure fantasy.

I believe it very possible that Sam would have got us to 7th. I also believe it very unlikely that Kean will get us to top half.

The hard fact is that Kean was a complete novicea at management while Sam had managed well over 700 professional matches with a very respectable career 40% win ratio. I firmly believe that Sam was a far safer and competent manager than his replacement. I'm still reeling from the owner's decison and am very curious as to who told them what to make it sound like the sensible course.

I think following the eventual introduction of Rochina and Formica, the return of Hoilett from injury and Jones from his long-term injury, will see us safe in the end.

What with Steve Kean and John Jensen guiding them......absolutely no chance !

We are dead in the water just awaiting that fateful day in May now, unless theres is a managerial change asap.

Guest CAMVENKYS

Get your head out of the sand CAMVENKY. Wake up and see the reality thats unfolding before our eyes.

I have actually just arrived home from the beach,you are the one who changes with the wind,grow a backbone man.

I have actually just arrived home from the beach,you are the one who changes with the wind,grow a backbone man.

If someone who is purporting to represent Venkys in Cambodia and Vietnam, surely they would be able to spell the second country correctly?

Guest CAMVENKYS

If someone who is purporting to represent Venkys in Cambodia and Vietnam, surely they would be able to spell the second country correctly?

Seeing english is my 2nd language i apoligise profussly,this is a meesageboard about football next time i,ll get my pa to check my posts sir

Seeing english is my 2nd language i apoligise profussly,this is a meesageboard about football next time i,ll get my pa to check my posts sir

It seems I touched a nerve... Cộng hòa xã hội chủ nghĩa Việt Nam So even in Vietnamese it's spelt Vietnam. Hmm... I'm not here to wind you up but you are on a mission to wind everybody else up. Let me put it this way, saying Steve Kean is not up to the task of managing Rovers is not a slight on Venkys. You can promote someone to a position in a company and then find out they are useless in it. That, sometimes, is just the way it turns out. Steve Kean, imo, is being found out and has a job on his hands to prove otherwise. I want him to because it means Rovers will survive. I just don't think he can.

I'm also not anti-Venkys. My opinion is that they have been badly informed and also made some silly decisions. That's an opinion. It's my right to hold that opinion. It's your right to disagree.

Archived