BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Relegation Battle Aftermath

Blackpool v Chelsea tonight and a massive game for us. I have no time at all for Chelsea, while on the other hand would love to see Blackpool survive another season in the PL. Trouble is, if Blackpool get a win tonight that puts them 3 points above us. If they can then get themselves a win at Ewood, they will be 6 points ahead and I doubt we'll catch them from that point. If that scenario pans out, things will really be bleak.

So, with a heavy heart, C'mon Chelsea.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still hopefully Formica can help us.. Especially against Blackpool!! I think he will be a better choice than Gamst, with Formica being good at set pieces as well.

We are a group of nearly 20 Norwegians coming over to see the Blackpool game... It will be an historic trip to say the least.

You would hope that he would bring Formica in, but I don't think he will. The bench will be the most we will see him I think. You never know with Kean though. Who else would put a 19 year old on in his first EPL game at 2-2 away from home (replacing a man who is fast becoming a Rovers star).

Good on you for coming over to support the team, they need it.

After this weekends fixtures, it becomes more depressing when you compare the managers and players in the relegation places. My take on this is:

Wigan - Manager tries to play attractive football but no real leaders on the pitch - DOWN

Wolves - Experienced Manager who is up for the fight, battling team who will fight to the end - STAY UP

Birmingham - Experienced Manager who is up for the fight and when they get their energy back after a taxing cup final will grind out points, well organised - STAY UP

West Ham - in form with momentum and players signed in January who are making an impact - STAY UP

West Brom - Experienced manager who has a game plan, could go either way - ?

Blackpool - Punching above their weight,losing momentum and injuries/suspensions may cost them - ?

Rovers - Inexperienced rookie manager who doesn't know his best team/formation/substitutions, many hope the players can organise themselves and crawl over the finishing line - ?

Villa, Stoke, Fulham, Everton, Newcastle - Experienced managers and too many good players - ALL STAYING UP

So that leaves 2 out of the Rovers, the Baggies and the Seasiders to be relegated.

Hold on tight for a roller coaster of a ride over the next couple of months! :wacko:

You would hope that he would bring Formica in, but I don't think he will. The bench will be the most we will see him I think. You never know with Kean though. Who else would put a 19 year old on in his first EPL game at 2-2 away from home (replacing a man who is fast becoming a Rovers star).

Good on you for coming over to support the team, they need it.

Yeah, I totally agree with you on the Rochina part. There were much better options on the bench, where experience would be the better option.

Nzonzi and Jones did an OK job at midfield on Saturday, and I see Kean using them again against Blackpool.

But question is, would Kean field Hoilett, Olsson and Formica at the same time? Their defensive qualities might not suggest that.

But maybe if olsson is to replace givet on the left back.

This could give room for Formica, along with Gamst, Jones/Nzonzi and Hoilett.

...............Robbo

salgado, nelsen/hanley, samba, olsson

Hoilett, jones, nzonzi, formica/gamst

............kalinic, RSC

Formica and Hoilett could probably swap position, as Formica has been playing as a winger as well.

If Formica is to play as a central midfielder/playmaker then nzonzi or jones would be benched.

The weak spot would certainly be the left back position. Could emerton play there? I'm not saying that the team above is the way to go, but I'm just trying to see if there is room for Formica in a starting line up.

Honest question - is it against the rules to play more than one goalkeeper?

We could have Bunn as a sweeperkeeper and Robbo as the main keeper.

Perhaps we should pile all the player in a mount on the goal line and try our luck for 9 0-0's that would see us safe if the results do not go against us.

*I only ask these questions as I have tried the generator thing many times and the highest I have gotten is 17th, level on points with Wolves and 4 goals away from 16th on goal difference.

Cmon Chelsea, 10-0 please. A loss for Blackpool, and a win for us against them would see us 3 points ahead. However, it could go the other way, so its vital at the very least we get a point against Blackpool. It gives us still a fighting chance of survival. We can't afford too many slip ups , against teams in and around us, or we will be in the championship faster than you could say Coca Cola

Looking at our run in, we are not relegated yet.

We play 4 of the 5 teams below us (the other being West Brom, which we won home and away).

We have games we could, with a slice of luck, win, in Bolton and Everton. The only write offs are United, City and Arsenal, and even then, we could snatch something.

We haven't got the toughest run in of the teams around us, so we need to turn these good performances into good wins. The players say they are together, the spirit is good, and nobody can deny we are not playing badly. This is different from the Ince situation as we are playing well, we are just not getting the results.

I have a feeling a win against Blackpool will turn it all around. And even, God forbid, if we lose to Blackpool, the fat lady has not sung. We just need to take each game as it comes and hope that the boys keep giving it all they have. The Fulham performance showed that the manager had not lost the dressing room nor had the players given up. I have faith that if we keep pushing, keep trying to improve and keep supporting the team, the results will come. Take each game as it comes and give total support to the boys on the pitch and I'm sure we have enough in us to survive and plan for the future.

I have a feeling a win against Blackpool will turn it all around. And even, God forbid, if we lose to Blackpool, the fat lady has not sung. We just need to take each game as it comes and hope that the boys keep giving it all they have.

There's a saying that it's not your altitude, it's your attitude. If Rovers were a plane, we'd be at 8,000 ft, which would be OK, except we're in a nose-dive and Ronald MacDonald is flying the 'plane.

Blackpool putting on a spirited fighting display.

Their big guns will be back against us. I'd be amazed if we can take all 3 points, personally I feel a draw would be more likely which doesn't do either of us any favours really.

Blackpool putting on a spirited fighting display.

Their big guns will be back against us. I'd be amazed if we can take all 3 points, personally I feel a draw would be more likely which doesn't do either of us any favours really.

If we can't beat Blackpool at Ewood in a game of such magnitude do we deserve to stay up ?

Having watched Blackpool tonight, have to say that they are going to cause us problems. At times Chelsea struggled to cope so with our fragile defence they are going to cause us plenty of problems. Blackpool game is going to be HUGE.

Can't take the risk, if Kean thinks Phillips is to much for Salgado to handle then he has play Emerton, failing that move Hoilett into the hole and play Emerton on the right to support Salgado.

Blackpool have only failed to score in seven league games, most of those against the top six.

Are they on drugs, I can't remember a team with so much energy and drive, not even Hughes had ourselves upto their level.

Can't take the risk, if Kean thinks Phillips is to much for Salgado to handle then he has play Emerton, failing that move Hoilett into the hole and play Emerton on the right to support Salgado.

Blackpool have only failed to score in seven league games, most of those against the top six.

Are they on drugs, I can't remember a team with so much energy and drive, not even Hughes had ourselves upto their level.

He probably threatens the players with taking him home for a chat.

I do fear Blackpool's manic play, feel that Salgado and Martin will be ripped to shreads. Givet is out so there is no option for LB but him.

Keep it in the middle with Jones and Emerton and kick the hell out of Adam.

...............Robbo

salgado, nelsen/hanley, samba, olsson

Hoilett, jones, nzonzi, formica/gamst

............kalinic, RSC

Olsen needs to be moved up to left mid, we need his attacking threat. Formica should be on the bench in case Oslen takes knock or some such.

If P. Jones is fit, I'd bench N'Zonzi and play both Jones as defensive CMs.

I haven't a clue as to what to do about LB. Maybe:

Salgado - Nelsen - Samba

Hoilett - P. Jones - J. Jones - Olsen

Formica

Kalinic - RSC

Though that is awfully risky using a back 3 considering we leak goals at the present time, though the 2 Jones might be able to compensate for it. Though it would get Formica in the line up.

Otherwise if we want a back 4, I suggest we find a free agent LB who might be able to sign now and do a job for the short term. Are there any old LB warhorses who might have the juice for a match or 3 more?

DJ cambell will still be out against us but Adam will be back which is a blow. If we win it will give us a boost, we will be nearly over the line.

Even if we win. we will not be "nearly over the line" given the spirit in the clubs which are also in trouble down there. It will be a huge boost but probably only a third of the job that needs to be done.

He probably threatens the players with taking him home for a chat.

Givet is out so there is no option for LB but him.

Givet should be shot for his actions at Fulham! We'd been desperate to get Olsson to left wing and now it looks like it's another three games at LB for him. Could be costly.

Archived